PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article...someone digg this plez..

Gin
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
May 12, 2008...9:43 am
RON PAUL AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY
Jump to Comments

In case any of you have been wondering, Ron Paul is still running for President of the United States. No there aren’t any more debates scheduled and the major media covering the primary season have for good reason chosen to focus on the Democratic Party and their primary season. After all, John McCain has already wrapped up the Republican nomination, right? I mean, didn’t Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee already withdraw from the race…clearing the path for John McCain?

But Ron Paul is still officially in the race for the Republican nomination. No, I don’t believe that Ron Paul is going to go off on his own like Alan Keyes or Bob Barr and link himself and his candidacy to other much smaller, yet pretty conservative parties. In the cases of Barr and Keyes, they left the Republican Party for the Libertarian and Constitutional Parties, respectively.

Those who support the principles that are firmly held by Ron Paul, like strict interpretation of the Constitution by judges, very limited government and limited government spending, low taxes and a libertarian point of view with regard to religion and abortion, have decided that their candidate and his views actually mean something and that the Republican Party ought to at least take a little notice.

And while I am not a Ron Paul backer per se…I do agree with the premise that the Republican Party has a very deep and disturbing problem: not only are they becoming more and more indecipherable from the Democratic Party but they have effectively marginalized a huge constituency of people who believe in church and family and many of the limited government views held by Ron Paul.

My point is that the Republicans are just assuming that “conservatives” will run to the polls and vote for their candidate because the alternative in Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama would be just so horrible that any true conservative would have their stomach turn if they had to vote for the Democratic candidate. But this is exactly where the arrogance and elitist attitude of the Republicans could come back to bite them in the rear.

Why? Well because true conservatives have three options still left for them as opposed to voting for John McCain:

1. They can vote for Hillary Clinton if she is nominated—is there really a difference in McCain and Hillary Clinton as far as public and international policy?
2. They can abstain from voting all together…just decide that their conscience won’t allow them to pick from the lesser of two evils and…
3. Write in their vote on the voting ballot and decide that they will not support either of the two major parties

The Republican Party has really hurt itself as a result of its “bigger tent” theory…allowing whoever and whatever issue to be included in this tent but not really understanding the consequences that this particular theory may have on its present members.

I think the conservatives want you to stand for something…have a set of principles by which you are guided and then go out and give the people your message and let them decide. They don’t want higher taxes, gay marriage, endless wars, more illegal immigration or more usurpation of their rights. But they do want someone who is pro-traditional family, who supports the right to worship at the church of their choice, they will support someone who will secure the borders and stop illegal immigration all together and they will rally behind someone who keeps our country safe and works hard to give the American citizen the opportunities and jobs that they desire.

I really believe that if the Republican Party doesn’t turn it around very soon…that they will lose a very large amount of their core base of voters; in fact, it may already be too late.

Citizen Haines

VISIT ME DAILY, EARLY AND OFTEN!

AS ALWAYS…YOUR COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS ARE WELCOME!

http://citizenhaines.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/ron-paul-and-the-republican-party/