PDA

View Full Version : Americans Are Living (And Dying) In A Militarized Police State

Anti Federalist
05-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Americans Are Living (And Dying) In A Militarized Police State

Dave Gibson
May 05, 2008

Today, police departments across the United States more closely resemble an occupying army than they do public servants responding to calls for help. Police officers can now be seen wearing helmets and body armor and carrying AR-15's, just to deliver simple warrants. The militarization of our police departments not only gives the appearance of a military dictatorship but places the public at great risk.

No less than 70 percent of U.S. cities now have SWAT teams. In cities with a population of 50,000 or more, 90 percent have SWAT teams.

Eastern Kentucky University professor Peter Kraska told the Washington Post that SWAT teams are currently sent out 40,000 times a year in the U.S. During the 1980's, SWAT teams were only used 3,000 times a year. Most of the time, SWAT teams are being sent out to simply serve warrants on non-violent drug offenders.

Many municipalities are using Homeland Security grants to even purchase large armored vehicles. The Pittsburgh Police Department now uses their 20-ton armored truck complete with rotating turret and gun ports to deliver many of their warrants. Pittsburgh Police Sgt. Barry Budd recently told the Associate Press: "We live on being prepared for 'what if'."

Our police departments now regularly receive free surplus equipment from the U.S. military, which they readily accept. The training being given at many police academies appears to be the type of tactics one would use in Baghdad, rather than Baltimore. It would seem that our police officers are being readied for war, with the American public as the enemy. In the last several years, there has been a transformation from community policing to pre-emptive assaults

On January 24, 2006, Dr. Salvatore Culosi was shot and killed outside his house by a Fairfax County SWAT officer. Police used the SWAT team to serve a documents search warrant, after Dr. Culosi came under suspicion for taking sports bets. The investigation began after Fairfax Detective David Baucom solicited a bet with Dr. Culosi at a local sports bar.

Dr. Culosi was standing outside his home while talking with Det. Baucom, when SWAT Officer Deval Bullock quickly approached with his gun drawn and fatally shot Dr. Culosi in the chest. Court documents report that Culosi never made any threatening movements and made no attempt to run as he watched the SWAT team move in around him.

Dr. Culosi had no history of violence nor any criminal history whatsoever. He operated two successful optometry clinics at Wal-Marts in Manassas and Warrenton, Va. His parents have filed a $12 million lawsuit against the county of Fairfax, Va.

On the night of January 17, 2008, a police SWAT team surrounded Ryan Frederickīs home in Chesapeake, Va. The police were there to serve a drug warrant based on a tip from a criminal informant.

As usual, 28 year-old Ryan Frederick had gone to sleep early in order to leave the house before dawn for his job with a soda distributor. He awoke to a commotion of screams and the distinct sound of someone breaking down his front door.

Frederickīs house had been broken into a few days earlier, being a slight man of only a little over 100 pounds, Frederick feared for his safety. After the break-in, he purchased a gun.

Understandably frightened, Frederick grabbed his gun and when he got to the front of his house, he saw a man trying to crawl through the bottom portion of his door. Terrified that the intruders had returned, he fired.

The man he shot was not an aggressive burglar, nor a drug-crazed murderer, he was Det. Jarrod Shivers. The police detective and military veteran died almost immediately. Frederick was charged with first-degree murder and now sits in a jail cell awaiting trial.

As for the marijuana-growing operation for which police were looking, nothing was found. Only a very small amount of marijuana was discovered on the Frederick property, only enough to charge him with misdemeanor possession. Frederick has admitted that he uses marijuana occasionally but has never been involved with producing nor selling the drug.

Ryan Frederick has no prior history of violence, nor any criminal history whatsoever. He took care of his grandmother until her death two years ago, had a full-time job, and recently became engaged. In his spare time, he worked in his yard and tended to his Koi pond…Not quite the drug kingpin type!

However, based solely on the word of an informant, police obtained a warrant and stormed into this manīs house in the dark of night. The information turned out to be false, a police officer and father of three is dead, and a decent young manīs life is now over.

When Ryan Frederick awoke to the sounds of his home being invaded, he did what many of us would do. He acted reasonably when he grabbed his gun to defend himself and fired at a man who he believed was breaking into his home to do him harm.

Had the police simply went to his home during the daytime and knocked on his door, they could have questioned Frederick and found their information to be groundless. A little traditional police work could have saved the life of a police officer and the Shivers and Frederick families would have remained whole.

The Ryan Frederick story is truly frightening because this same scenario could play itself out in your home or mine. In the age of militarized police departments, we are all in danger.

Here are a few more recent victims of our militarized police departments:

Cheryl Lynn Noel, a mom who was shot by police for picking up her legally registered handgun. She went for her gun to defend herself after a SWAT team in the middle of the night, broke into her Baltimore, MD home. Police stormed her house that night because they claim to have found marijuana seeds in the family's trash can.

Rev. Acelyne Williams, 75 of Boston, died of a heart attack as a SWAT team broke into his home. Police actually had the wrong address.

92 year old Kathryn Johnston who was so fearful that she never left her home and would only open her door after friends who placed her groceries on the front porch had left, was killed by an Atlanta SWAT team last year. An erroneous tip from an informant was enough for the Atlanta Police Department to invade her home. Police have since admitted to lying to obtain a search warrant and to planting drugs in her home after killing her.

In 2006, a 52 member SWAT team stormed into a Denver home in search of a friendly small-stakes poker game. The same thing happened a few months later when SWAT and K-9 units barged in on a charity poker game in Baltimore.

When someone straps on body armor and large caliber weapons, their adrenalin levels begin to surge. As they arrive at the scene, those levels increase. When these now militarized police officers actually break into a dark home and begin shouting at terrified citizens, severe injury and death is likely to occur. It is beyond reason to employ these tactics on anyone other than hardened, violent criminals.

SWAT teams were created in the wake of the 1966 University of Texas sniper shooting spree by ex-marine Charles Whitman. Police did not have the firepower to reach Whitman, who was perched atop the 27-story clock tower. Civilians with hunting rifles came to the scene and joined with police in the effort to stop Whitman. Eventually, police officers and a well-armed citizen scaled the stairs of the tower and killed Whitman, but not before he killed 17 people and injured another 31. As a result of the incident, police departments began to assemble small teams of highly trained officers with equipment specific to sniper shootings, hostage situations, bank robberies, etc.

SWAT teams were designed to deal with very violent individuals who represent a clear and present threat to the public. However, they are now being used to execute warrants on non-violent offenders and even those who have no prior criminal history at all. Turning our neighborhood cops into shock troops will do nothing but erode public confidence in the police and endanger the lives of innocent Americans.

Recently, Bostonīs new police commissioner William Fitchet announced that the departmentīs Street Crimes Unit will begin wearing military-style black uniforms, to instill a sense of "fear." At last weekīs city council meeting, police Sgt. John Delaney told council members that the black uniforms would send the message that officers were serious.

Did someone declare martial law?

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/60717

(Point of correction, it was Springfield's chief, not Boston)

tod evans
05-13-2008, 05:07 AM
the shamefull part of these "swat teams" is the youthfullness of the members and the attitude that`s instilled in them by their superiors.
the type of behavior exibited by the vast majority of these tactical response units could be called to task under the geneva convention if they where exibited during a war.........but due to the media pushing public acceptance it`s fine for heavly armed, armored troops to assult american citizens in their homes when they`re sleeping, often with familys in the same home.
there`s little common sense, that i`ve seen, exibited by the police departments in deploying these squads...they`ve got a bunch of youngsters hyped up with testosterone overload and paramilitary training chomping at the bit to "do their part in ridding society of the scum-de-jour"....today it`s drugs-n-terrorists, tomorrow it might be folks who speak against these type of actions?
i certainly don`t have any answers but from here using military tactics on the population in general doesn`t seem to be a wise choice.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2008, 05:37 AM
the shamefull part of these "swat teams" is the youthfullness of the members and the attitude that`s instilled in them by their superiors.
the type of behavior exibited by the vast majority of these tactical response units could be called to task under the geneva convention if they where exibited during a war.........but due to the media pushing public acceptance it`s fine for heavly armed, armored troops to assult american citizens in their homes when they`re sleeping, often with familys in the same home.
there`s little common sense, that i`ve seen, exibited by the police departments in deploying these squads...they`ve got a bunch of youngsters hyped up with testosterone overload and paramilitary training chomping at the bit to "do their part in ridding society of the scum-de-jour"....today it`s drugs-n-terrorists, tomorrow it might be folks who speak against these type of actions?
i certainly don`t have any answers but from here using military tactics on the population in general doesn`t seem to be a wise choice.

Paramilitarized "police" forces is, I agree, not one of them.

liberteebell
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
I witnessed one of these battering-ram raids just a few doors down from my house. I happened to be looking out the door when an old, beaten up van full of para-military guys came around the corner, complete with helmets, kevlar vests, all sorts of assault weapons and looking very militarized came around the corner.

Honestly, my very first thought was that the crap had truly hit the fan; it was frightening, to say the least. My neighborhood is quiet and loaded with older folks so I just couldn't imagine what was happening.

It turned out to be a drug raid at a rental house, the "perps" were not there but they hung around and searched the neighborhood and waited for them to return home.

In their defense, they were respectful to the neighbors who, of course, poured out of their homes to see what was going on. They asked us nicely to go back to our homes and lock the doors (nobody complied...as if being inside one's home with the doors locked would protect anyone if hot lead started flying...LOL) and they asked several people if it was ok to walk through their yards to continue the search. They answered the repeated question, "what's going on?" by saying, "I can't tell you sir or maam" but there was definitely an emotional detachment.

The worst part was when they finally did catch up with what turned out to be "probable" drug dealers, they sat the "perp's" young children on the curb for well over 2 hours, with a visibly armed plain-clothes cop standing over them. As an adult, I was frightened; I can't imagine what those children were feeling.

moostraks
05-13-2008, 06:47 AM
I live in the Atlanta suburbs and a local media personality here was shameless about promoting the idea the older woman who they killed deserved the tretment she received. Even after they knew the police lied there still was a promotion of how they(police) should not be scrutinized so much. Makes me ill...

I have notized a heightened police presence in our area lately. Yesterday, in a 4 mile drive I passed 4 sets of officers within several blocks of each other and made mention to my dh that they no longer instill respect from the public because their goal does not seem to be to protect and serve anymore (in general...). It is more what do they interpret is occuring and how can this make an arrest/promotion. Good luck if you are on the receiving end of an officer having a bad day, as the courts generally err on the side of protecting the officer not in respecting the rights of the public...

constituent
the only solution is citizen swat teams. sorry to say it, but it has come to this.

the cops break the law, we just have to come in armed to the teeth and serve
them warrants of our own.

i think if the cops knew that there was a stockpile of AR-15s, SKSs, stun grenades, riot gear,
night sticks and tazers waiting to respond to these sorts of bullying/military tactics,
they might think twice before "firing the first shot."

reminds of a line from a jay-z song,

"y'all go to war with me, i'll go to war with ya"

Anti Federalist
I witnessed one of these battering-ram raids just a few doors down from my house. I happened to be looking out the door when an old, beaten up van full of para-military guys came around the corner, complete with helmets, kevlar vests, all sorts of assault weapons and looking very militarized came around the corner.

Honestly, my very first thought was that the crap had truly hit the fan; it was frightening, to say the least. My neighborhood is quiet and loaded with older folks so I just couldn't imagine what was happening.

It turned out to be a drug raid at a rental house, the "perps" were not there but they hung around and searched the neighborhood and waited for them to return home.

In their defense, they were respectful to the neighbors who, of course, poured out of their homes to see what was going on. They asked us nicely to go back to our homes and lock the doors (nobody complied...as if being inside one's home with the doors locked would protect anyone if hot lead started flying...LOL) and they asked several people if it was ok to walk through their yards to continue the search. They answered the repeated question, "what's going on?" by saying, "I can't tell you sir or maam" but there was definitely an emotional detachment.

The worst part was when they finally did catch up with what turned out to be "probable" drug dealers, they sat the "perp's" young children on the curb for well over 2 hours, with a visibly armed plain-clothes cop standing over them. As an adult, I was frightened; I can't imagine what those children were feeling.

Get used to seeing a lot more of it.

The emotionally detached "sir" and "ma'am" is especially grating to me, because it is hollow and meaningless...

"Sir, board the boxcar right now".

tod evans
05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
the only solution is citizen swat teams. sorry to say it, but it has come to this.

i think if the cops knew that there was a stockpile of AR-15s, SKSs, stun grenades, riot gear,
night sticks and tazers waiting to respond to these sorts of bullying/military tactics,

as good as this sounds it`s not wise........large dogs, venomous snakes or other types of "pets" won`t get a federally mandated 924c charge levied against you.
defending yourself as per the constitution can very likely get you killed or jailed for a long period of time...
i honestly hope it doesn`t come down to a "show of force" to stop this type of behavior?....
by voting in folks who vow to uphold the constitution we still stand a chance of avoiding the type of "policing" that`s currently being used.....at least i hope so.

liberteebell
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM

I don't see citizen swat teams (yet!) but in my little circle, I am seeing more people making the decision to protect themselves rather than expecting police protection. The wakeup call is usually them or someone close to them experiencing a break-in, having all their valuables stolen and the police saying, "there's nothing we can do".

Weapon purchases are up, and many people I know are getting their CCP--some of them shocked me; these are people whom I thought were major anti-gun types. A lot of women too! :D

It's a start anyway...

constituent
05-13-2008, 07:42 AM
by voting in folks who vow to uphold the constitution we still stand a chance of avoiding the type of "policing" that`s currently being used.....at least i hope so.

me too! as a parent, a world of violent streets is the last thing i want to see our nation disintegrate into. that's why i've been brainstorming/working on a project to organize a nationwide effort to get liberty minded individuals elected to the

POSITIONS OF REAL POWER

county sheriff, police chief, district attorney, county and city prosecutors

the other prong of the idea is an educational campaign designed to directly inform the public about jury nullification through awesome lit., flyers and posters handed-out outside of courthouses where people are lined-up for jury selection.

the militia part is something that will have to gradually be built-up. i've been studying the ways blackwater goes about getting away w/ constructing and operating their terrorist training centers on U.S. Soil.... I don't want to give it all away, but my ultimate plan for this would be to open similar citizens army training centers across the country and locate them as close as possible to urban police academies and training centers. The thought is to actually have better swat training, etc. than the actual police so as to encourage their participation in the training and militia (while off duty).

anyway, there are lots of solutions to these problems. some are just easier/less "reactionary" than others.

liberteebell
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Get used to seeing a lot more of it.

The emotionally detached "sir" and "ma'am" is especially grating to me, because it is hollow and meaningless...

"Sir, board the boxcar right now".

Indeed. However, maybe I'm too idealistic but I do think we can educate cops and military personnel. They're not all bad and they as much as anybody need to understand what's going on.

Personal experience again but when we were doing street corner rallies with our Ron Paul signs, and the cops always showed up, better than 50% of them had something good to say, either about Ron Paul or about our exercising our 1st Amendment rights. Several actually asked for information, many told us that they like what Ron Paul stands for and lots of times, cops drove by us and either honked, waved or gave us a thumbs up. Sure, we experienced the strong-arm, intimidation approach but nowhere near as much as we did a positive approach.

tod evans
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
.....anyway, there are lots of solutions to these problems. some are just easier/less "reactionary" than others.

ain`t that the truth!......i sincerely hope for the sake of my kids that cool heads are allowed to prevail.

Kade
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Today, police departments across the United States more closely resemble an occupying army than they do public servants responding to calls for help. Police officers can now be seen wearing helmets and body armor and carrying AR-15's, just to deliver simple warrants. The militarization of our police departments not only gives the appearance of a military dictatorship but places the public at great risk.

You had me at hello...

Seriously though, this is one thing that I've been ranting about publicly for some time, and I've been a demanding and painful presence in my local area for the same things..

My state has turned ALL police force into one state centralized police body, All the cops, locals included, are now driving around on these:

http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/10134/Dodge_Charger_Police-L.jpg

Paid for by tax payer money and the now unbelievable general increase in tickets...

Hell I got my car towed, in the middle of the street, because I did not have my environmental sticker displayed (never mind that I had the inspection)

I fought it in court, and won.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
They asked us nicely to go back to our homes and lock the doors (nobody complied...as if being inside one's home with the doors locked would protect anyone if hot lead started flying...LOL) and they asked several people if it was ok to walk through their yards to continue the search. They answered the repeated question, "what's going on?" by saying, "I can't tell you sir or maam" but there was definitely an emotional detachment.

uh, then no. Stay out of my yard, sir.