PDA

View Full Version : A question about the primaries

Zeeder
08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
If Ron Paul came in second, in each Primary, can he win the nomination that way?

I was just curious about the rules. Some states have "Winner take all" in which only the winner gets the delegates. Do some states have proportional delegates?

Anyone know?

Here in Georgia it's "Winner take all". In the last presidential primary 630,000 people voted. In the last Governor's race, 77,000 people voted for the libertarian candidate. If those people turn out for the primary. Paul can win Georgia outright.

noxagol
08-23-2007, 07:40 AM
It most likely varies from state to state and I think the parties get to decide this one, I am not sure though.

PrimarilyPaul
08-23-2007, 07:48 AM
It varies state by state but 45% of the votes are given by winner take all so Ron Paul would need to win ALL the votes (100% would have to vote for him) in the states that aren't winner take all.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/ccad.phtml

Thom1776
08-23-2007, 07:52 AM
It depends on whether in that 55% of states, if second place in all of those added together were enough for the nomination.

Bryan
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
In Texas the primary vote is totally meaningless, Ron Paul could get zero votes and still get delegates from the state. Likewise, he could get all the votes and not get delegates.

So, through the "Ron Paul Friends USA" network we're working to make sure he gets as many delegates as possible-- anyone from Texas not familiar with the delegate process can PM me on this.