PDA

View Full Version : $100million for Ron Paul

Suzu
05-26-2007, 07:35 AM
He said it on TV last night, $100m would help him get elected. Who here is ready to say "no" to this?? If there are not a million of us sending $100 each, there needs to be half a million sending $200 each. Or 250,000 sending $500 each. Or 125,000 sending $1k each. WhatEVER it takes, we've gotta be sure RP gets $100million.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 07:40 AM
You know that saying, "money talks and bullshit walks"

True, except in the US ELECTION process, when it beomes

Money talks and the truth gets walked on. :mad:

Direct contributions are limited to 2300 per person, I think, right?

KingTheoden
05-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I posted a thread in a different category called something like Operation Μολὼν λαβέ. If just 5 000 of us gave the full individual contribution allowed by law, $2 300, Dr. Paul would have a total of over $11 million. I am at the maximum amount now and and preparing a blog that urges others to do the same. We really have a shot at this; a major radio host offered a great idea in that those who presently cannot afford such a contribution should get a temporary part time job and just pour in earnings to the campaign effort.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Before H saw the strength of the movement, he agreed to a total contribution of $1,000.

I'm thinking I may be able to get him to agree to more now. :)

tekkierich
05-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I just wish they would cash my check I sent them over two weeks ago.

Shii
05-26-2007, 08:06 AM

They must be flooded!

Also, Ron Paul doesn't really want $100M. What would he do with it?! What he's saying is $100M would buy the corrupt media's attention. The OTHER way to get noticed is to keep doing what we're doing right now, writing e-mails, making phone calls, and promoting Paul by word of mouth, until we have critical mass.

ARealConservative
05-26-2007, 09:00 AM
He said it on TV last night, $100m would help him get elected. Who here is ready to say "no" to this?? If there are not a million of us sending $100 each, there needs to be half a million sending $200 each. Or 250,000 sending $500 each. Or 125,000 sending $1k each. WhatEVER it takes, we've gotta be sure RP gets $100million.

I set up an installment. $250 a month for the next 4 months.

Then if it looks like we are gaining some traction - I'll repeat.

denvervoipguru
05-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't have the time to do this but it needs to be done.

We need a FUND CONTRIBUTION TRACKER SITE that capitalizes on the viralness of the online groundswell of support for Dr. Paul - IN A HURRY!

- Allows people to register and create profiles like any online community.
- Allows people to donate via credit card/checking account or Paypal
- Gives members a STATUS ranking or POWER RANKING based on their total donation amount AND/OR their "CONTINUITY of CONTRIBUTIONS" (maybe someone can't afford to give the same total dollar amount, but they have donated on N number of occasions).
- Could also have a way to track online activities that the member performs in support of the campaign...and those could factor in to the "Power Ranking". For example, just a list of urls to blog posts or youtube videos. These could be "moderated" by the community itself the way Craigslist does with its posts.

If you think you could tackle this project send me a message. I can get you in touch with someone who can code it for you for DIRT CHEAP (like $200.00 or less)

If we get started with this now, $20,000,000 would not be unreasonable ($20 average from 1Mil supporters over the next 500 days)

Thanks,

Tim
Denver Metro Committee for Ron Paul

CurtisLow
05-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Direct contributions are limited to $2300 per person.
To bad there's not away around it. But is there?

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I think it's 2300 in cash contributions.

I would like to know if that is per ELECTION (as in one 2300 contribution towards the primary and then another 2300 towards the presidency, or is it 2300 for BOTH? No one I've asked seems to know)

I can buy ads in newspapers, buy tee shirts and bumper stickers, buy yard signs, etc, etc...I can print up copies of things Ron has written and distribute them...all of that is over and above the 2300 cash contribution.

At least, that's my current understanding of how it works.

RAPHAEL BENINCASA
05-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Is there any way to organize nationwide car wash's, bake sales, T-shirt sales etc. for Ron Paul. Iam in Long Island NY. Ive raised lots of $ this way for other events. I feel confident that if we did this on a national scale we would raise many millions. Please respond with any ideas on how to structure this.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-26-2007, 09:27 AM

By forming PACS :)

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacfaq.asp

angelatc
05-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Corporations are allowed to give as much as they want. :(

I wouldn't advise setting up a shell, because that would just look bad. But if you have a friend who has a business....maybe you can purchase some services from him/her in exchange for a committment to donate?

angelatc
05-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Is there any way to organize nationwide car wash's, bake sales, T-shirt sales etc. for Ron Paul. Iam in Long Island NY. Ive raised lots of $ this way for other events. I feel confident that if we did this on a national scale we would raise many millions. Please respond with any ideas on how to structure this.

I've thought about using eBay. Lots of people here are young, and simply can't afford to give much. It might be beneficial to do some eBay yard-sale listings, which are pretty inexpensive. The Ron Paul campaign stuff seems to be selling.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 09:41 AM
DAMN that is just fucked up and completely bass ackerds.

INDIVIDUALS should be allowed to give whatever we want.

Therion
05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
DAMN that is just fucked up and completely bass ackerds.

INDIVIDUALS should be allowed to give whatever we want.
Yeah, but we only want Lobbys to have the power to bribe politicians. If it was individuals, I wouldn't feel safe...

austinphish
05-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I hopt to max out my contribution limit as the campaign progresses. It is good to hear others are doing as much as they can. Money is clearly not everything that you can give to the good Dr. Please realized that there is only so much you can do online. The Austin Meetup group was excellent last night and I hope others catch on.

Anyways back to $. FEC rules also allow you to spend $200 (or $250) per person on a candidate out of your own pocket. Also, there is almost NO WAY anyone will know if you spend more (this is not legal advice - I am not a lawyer) but if you are not buying advertising - how will anyone know how many yard signs you purchased unless someone specifically directs FEC attention to you? Just don't be blatant and you can really give a lot more than the $2,300.

I have a thread under the forum Delegates, GOP & Legal Matters titled "info for treasurers" it is pretty weak right now but I should have more FEC info for how to stay within the law (or outside of the spotlight) on $ issues.

Also there is a thread on there about getting a 527 started - which doesn't have as strict monetary limits but can't directly support a candidate. See - Moveon.org and Swift Vote Veterans for Truth. I think there are many options for a theme that could be developed that pushes RP's views w/o directly saying vote RP.

austinphish
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
we clearly need to push subjects like these to Delegates, GOP & Legal Matters so that people can easily find the info they are looking for. THANKS!!

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 09:55 AM
OpenSecrets.org has info on the FEC rules and regs.

I'm trying to find answers to some of our questions, if I am successful, I will let you guys know.

:)

Bryan
05-26-2007, 10:15 AM
we clearly need to push subjects like these to Delegates, GOP & Legal Matters so that people can easily find the info they are looking for. THANKS!!
I was thinking a "Fund Raising" sub-forum in the "Take Action" could be good to highlight and coordinate on various fund raising activities. We are trying to optimize the sub-forums to help make a difference in the campaign.

I like the e-bay garage sale idea. Is there a way in e-bay to set up such as system where money goes directly to the campaign so people don't have to worry about being taken advantage of? If so, someone should set one up and get the ball rolling.

zMtLlC
05-26-2007, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't advise setting up a shell, because that would just look bad. But if you have a friend who has a business....maybe you can purchase some services from him/her in exchange for a committment to donate?

Federal law requires we report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for contributions of more than $200.00 per election cycle. Individuals may contribute up to $2,300.00. Couples may contribute up to $4,600.00. Contributions are not tax deductible. Corporate contributions are prohibited.

I don't know if this is an FEC rule or just something that he's set up.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
O. M. G.

The FEC regs are complete COW DUNG.

lol...

I am going to start a new post when I finish reading them and can wrap my brain around the fact that the gov't has basically banned individuals from doing any campaigning for any candidate whatsoever.

BOLLOCKS.

Bryan
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't have the time to do this but it needs to be done.

We need a FUND CONTRIBUTION TRACKER SITE that capitalizes on the viralness of the online groundswell of support for Dr. Paul - IN A HURRY!

- Allows people to register and create profiles like any online community.
- Allows people to donate via credit card/checking account or Paypal
- Gives members a STATUS ranking or POWER RANKING based on their total donation amount AND/OR their "CONTINUITY of CONTRIBUTIONS" (maybe someone can't afford to give the same total dollar amount, but they have donated on N number of occasions).
- Could also have a way to track online activities that the member performs in support of the campaign...and those could factor in to the "Power Ranking". For example, just a list of urls to blog posts or youtube videos. These could be "moderated" by the community itself the way Craigslist does with its posts.

If you think you could tackle this project send me a message. I can get you in touch with someone who can code it for you for DIRT CHEAP (like $200.00 or less)

If we get started with this now, $20,000,000 would not be unreasonable ($20 average from 1Mil supporters over the next 500 days)

Thanks,

Tim
Denver Metro Committee for Ron Paul
I like your thinking here. As a start, admin-Josh and I have talked about having some type of member status derived from their contribution to the campaign rather than have "New member", "Member", "Senior Member"-- if these is support for this we can request Josh see what he can do. Obviously we don't want to be involved in any money transfers so it's hard to figure out how a system would work without being on the honor system or without some coordination with the campaign. (Security edited pictures of receipts or cancelled checks would work but may be a hassle). Is there a way to cc someone in paypal if you transfer money? Does the campaign accept paypal?

Recognizing high levels of activism would also work if people posted pictures and video of them out supporting the campaign- time can be worth more than money in cases and not everyone is in a position to shell out $2300. I am thinking that having an "Activism report" sub-forum (under "Take Action") would be a good way people could post stories, pictures, etc of them getting out and promoting the campaign- it helps inspire others!

Let's keep the ideas rolling and start talking action on the best ones. We're making a difference and we need to keep stepping up. If not us, who?

What are the best ways to see denvervoipguru ideas to help the campaign?

Bryan
05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Go to the "Take Action" forum and start a new thread. If you come up with some activism projects that have a chance for good participation then we could create a new sub-forum for that project (like the "writing projects").

Also be sure to check for people in your area at ronpaul.meetup.com - it works.

Welcome to the forum!

ronpaulitician
05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Just donate a little bit every other week.

I get paid every other week.

I donate $50 every other week.

This way, I barely notice it, but in the end, it'll really start to add up.

austinphish
05-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I was thinking a "Fund Raising" sub-forum in the "Take Action" could be good to highlight and coordinate on various fund raising activities. We are trying to optimize the sub-forums to help make a difference in the campaign.

I like the e-bay garage sale idea. Is there a way in e-bay to set up such as system where money goes directly to the campaign so people don't have to worry about being taken advantage of? If so, someone should set one up and get the ball rolling.

I just think we should have this in an easy to access/find place. THANKS!!!

DrStrabismus
05-26-2007, 10:49 AM
It seems that RP has received a small amount of contributions from a PAC already:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summary.asp?id=N00005906&cycle=2008

Does anyone know what this PAC is? If it's already organized I wonder if it could be used currently.

surf
05-26-2007, 10:57 AM
"It seems that RP has received a small amount of contributions from a PAC already"

i noticed NORML has given him $1000 each of the last few years

Seth M.
05-26-2007, 10:58 AM
It seems that RP has received a small amount of contributions from a PAC already:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/summary.asp?id=N00005906&cycle=2008

Does anyone know what this PAC is? If it's already organized I wonder if it could be used currently.

from the link:

" Date of last report: March 31, 2007 "

and

"NOTE: All the numbers on this page are for the 2008 election cycle and based on Federal Election Commission data released electronically on Monday, April 16, 2007."

so i guess we will see an update in a few weeks?

angelatc
05-26-2007, 11:02 AM
eBay doesn't have anything like that....their charity thing is the closest, and they take a huge cut of the money for no good reason.

Let me think about it. I know it can be done, but doing it in the least labor intensive manner is the thing.

Original_Intent
05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
It is per election and per individual. I am not sure if you can make donations in your kids' names or not.

kylejack
05-26-2007, 12:21 PM
It is per election and per individual. I am not sure if you can make donations in your kids' names or not.

Yeah, you can donate $2300 again if he gets the nomination. A married couple can donate a total of $4600.

denvervoipguru
05-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Use the MEETUP.COM GROUPS
Why? 1) They are working. Our group has 45 members after only our first two weeks. 2) They require a small amount of money to start - so you know the organizer is SERIOUS. 3) It's easy for ANYONE to contact the organizers and ORGANIZE THEM into a national group, all from your laptop if you wanted to.4) They are already in progress - with only 527 days left we don't have time to reinvent wheels - identify whats working and jump on the bandwagon QUICKLY with BOTH FEET.

Meetup.com WORKS - start one in your community TODAY. (I have NO affiliation with them)

austinphish
05-26-2007, 01:17 PM

but be careful

LibertyOrDie
05-26-2007, 01:39 PM
O. M. G.

The FEC regs are complete COW DUNG.

lol...

I am going to start a new post when I finish reading them and can wrap my brain around the fact that the gov't has basically banned individuals from doing any campaigning for any candidate whatsoever.

BOLLOCKS.

Thanks for jumping on the research, check if there is a cap on donations from "Trusts". They are fairly easy and quick to setup and anyone can send as much as they want to the trust and have it as a "Tax Right-Off" since it is a charity trust. And showing that all the money from the trust to RP, the trust doesn't get Taxed on any of it earnings.

Then we could get RP money and wouldn't have to discuss the loops of "Tax Right-Offs" anymore when he becomes Prez! :D

drinkbleach
05-26-2007, 02:21 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527_group

I saw a report on the Daily Show about how easy it is to form one of these types of groups. Anybody who says the D.S. isn't educational should be kicked in the nuts.

Michaelbuble
05-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Question. Can Canadians give money? And if we can does the 2300 dollar rule still apply since I am not a citizen?

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Question. Can Canadians give money? And if we can does the 2300 dollar rule still apply since I am not a citizen?

From the FEC.gov website:

"Can non-US citizens contribute?
Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S. Please note, however, that "green card" holders (i.e., individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.) are not considered foreign nationals and, as a result, may contribute. For additional information, consult our "Foreign Nationals" brochure."

JosephTheLibertarian
05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
How about "drop off" money? Leave money somewhere, it is now up for grabs, a politician comes and takes it... wouldn't that be fair game? ha

Bradley in DC
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM

The campaign is SWAMPED with supporters calling, emailing, snail mailing...this is a good thing!

TaoWarrior
05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I think that foreign nationals can still contribute to 527's so if we could get one going it would be an outlet for non-us-citizens to kick in.

I wish that I could do more money wise but I was just diagnosed with MS and the medication is well crazy expensive.

Raleigh Meetup is talking about having a free car wash to raise awareness.

Just wondering on the legality if I had a charge car wash could I donate the procedes in my name? Or would it have to go in the name of those getting their car washed? Also I repair computers on the side, does anyone know what the rules would be regarding me advertising that 1/2 of all procedes went to the Ron Paul 2008 campaign?

I am just trying to think of ways that a broke joe like me could do more than moral support.

Razmear
05-26-2007, 05:31 PM
If an envelope addressed to the campaign with no return address contained only a $20 bill, would the candidate be required to turn it over to the FEC or could he accept the donation?
If it got turned over to some fed agency, what would they do with it?
If it did not need to be turned over, what if 1000 of those envelopes showed up all from the same postmark?

eb

Bradley in DC
05-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I think that foreign nationals can still contribute to 527's so if we could get one going it would be an outlet for non-us-citizens to kick in.

Republicans Abroad are not considered a "state" organization and have more less restrictive limitations.

Bradley in DC
05-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I would like to know if that is per ELECTION (as in one 2300 contribution towards the primary and then another 2300 towards the presidency, or is it 2300 for BOTH?

The FEC is a good resource. It's $2300 for the primary and another $2300 towards the general election. The top tier have funds for both and are maxing out individual contributions for both. Money raised for the general election can (with some restrictions) be used during the primary season.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Okay, the FEC mumbo jumbo "here let's confuse the shit out of average citizens so they are too CONFUSED to contribute" manure leads me to believe that ...

IF I were to - all on my own - buy a half page of space in some Iowa newspaper, use it to republish some of Ron's writing (a few paragraphs on the war, a few on taxes, a few on gun control), along with some general Ron stats (never voted to raise taxes, etc), add in 'AD PLACED BY: MsDooDahs with my contact info (:eek: ) IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THE PAUL CAMPAIGN OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES,' my date of birth, ssn, and an individual sample of my DNA in each paper - and of course, so long as I don't exceed 10K on these ads AND I complete all of their paperwork for reporting my ads - THEN...I won't go to jail.

How does this OH SO UNAMERICAN FEC decide what is "campaign material?" Would paragraphs from 5 year old speeches count? By "campaign material," does the FEC mean only those things currently in use by the official campaign?

GRRRRR the more I read their "rules," the less respect I have for the FEC.

INSERT HURL ICON!!!!

lbadragan
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM

And the tyranny continues. How the hell can this be constitutional? It basically granted corporations more power than the people have. Exactly what the founders envisioned.

And it's only going to get worse due to inflation. In 20 years that $2,300 is going to be like today's $1,000 in terms of real purchasing power.

The more time passes, no matter if the administration is democrat or republican, they keep consolidating power to the elite super-rich and keep stripping the people of LIBERTY! Damn them.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I've been reading more at that FEC site, and it says contributions from corporations are prohibited.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, corporations can't just outright contribute. They have to create a PAC and THEN they can contribute.

"Corporations, Labor Organizations and National Banks
Contributions made from the treasuries of corporations, labor organizations and national banks are prohibited. Additionally, national banks and federally chartered corporations may not make contributions in connection with any election, including state and local elections. Contributions may, however, be made from separate segregated funds (also called political action committees or PACs) established by corporations, labor organizations, national banks, and incorporated membership organizations. 11 CFR 114.2 and 114.5."

lbadragan
05-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Even if corporations would be completely prohibited from contributing, limiting the amount of $ individuals can contribute is ridiculous and unconstitutional. It means we'll never see the average citizen run for high office. It's going to be left only to the wealthy and we all know that the wealthy represent the poor very well.

Phil M
05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
And the tyranny continues. How the hell can this be constitutional? It basically granted corporations more power than the people have. Exactly what the founders envisioned.

And it's only going to get worse due to inflation. In 20 years that $2,300 is going to be like today's $1,000 in terms of real purchasing power.

The more time passes, no matter if the administration is democrat or republican, they keep consolidating power to the elite super-rich and keep stripping the people of LIBERTY! Damn them.

Actually, I think the amount goes up every year automatically to deal with inflation.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Exactly.

IT IS A FRIKKEN RACKET SET UP TO KEEP ONLY THE SUPER RICH IN POWER.

And I have NOTHING against the super rich. I DO have a real problem with the super rich controlling elections via these fucked up laws.

:mad:

Exponent
05-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Wait, I'm confused. How do campaign contribution limits help the rich? Without the limits, the rich could donate millions upon millions for each individual rich person, while individual poor/middle class wouldn't be able to keep up.

But with the limits, 5 rich people can't (as easily) out-contribute 50 non-rich people. The biggest problem is that even among middle class, and especially among the poor, it can be difficult to contribute the full $2300, while for the rich, $2300 is a drop in the bucket. Which would tend to suggest that the limit could be even lower, if you wanted to help the non-rich maintain some significant monetary influence.

MsDoodahs
05-26-2007, 08:34 PM
The super rich can afford LAWYERS to set up all the PACS they need so they can contribute all they want to the candidate of their choice.

Average joes can't fucking do that.

Hell, I'm struggling just to understand whether or not I'll be within the law placing ONE FRIKKEN NEWSPAPER AD.

The super rich don't have the same concerns AT ALL.

It is a built in bias to ensure THEY maintain control.

tnvoter
05-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I donated more today, saving the rest to donate right after the next debate. WOO!

KingTheoden
05-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Wait, I'm confused. How do campaign contribution limits help the rich? Without the limits, the rich could donate millions upon millions for each individual rich person, while individual poor/middle class wouldn't be able to keep up.

But with the limits, 5 rich people can't (as easily) out-contribute 50 non-rich people. The biggest problem is that even among middle class, and especially among the poor, it can be difficult to contribute the full $2300, while for the rich, $2300 is a drop in the bucket. Which would tend to suggest that the limit could be even lower, if you wanted to help the non-rich maintain some significant monetary influence.

It is far more complicated. Technically if I give Ron the full $2 300 and then with friends buy up billboards, that can get me in federal rape prison if I faced a prosecutor like Giuliani. They write the laws such that it restricts an individual's right to participate in the political process; the major corporations and landed families give far beyond the $2 300 because as others said, they set up PACs.

The solution is to limit government, not limit contributions of individuals. If the government operated within the constraints of the Constitution, the extremely wealthy would not spend millions on campaigns because there would be nothing to gain from doing so. But today since the government is so massive, people essentially payoff politicians through the contribution process. Campaign finance laws are sold to us as 'defending our political say' but they in fact do the opposite.