PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone thought of this? Buying Radio and TV time during the RNC?

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Just throwing that out there. Can we get the high tide ad and maybe some others playing there?

List your fav The Revolution quotes in this tread so we can make some news paper ads with them. Why not promote his book at the same time huh?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=137012

Bruno
05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Just throwing that out there. Can we get the high tide ad and maybe some others playing there?

Mmmm....me like this idea. Flood the airwaves for the few short days leading up to the RNC!

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM
bump

A Ron Paul Rebel
05-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I saw a thread about it a couple months again.
One suggestion was to get it into the hotels tv channel!!!

newyearsrevolution08
05-11-2008, 12:37 PM
great ideas everyone

sratiug
05-11-2008, 12:43 PM
What about advertising around the town on taxis, buses, billboards, airports, in hotels and newspapers for the convention.

Feelgood
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
How about running it at all the local theaters, before the start of the movie. People will hear the roaring clap of thunder, thinking it is a preview to an exciting new movie coming out. Then for the next 60 seconds, the captivated audience will get to hear, the good Dr's message. :D

http://pd.startribune.com/sp?aff=15&catId=11012200

A Ron Paul Rebel
05-11-2008, 01:36 PM
How about running it at all the local theaters, before the start of the movie. People will hear the roaring clap of thunder, thinking it is a preview to an exciting new movie coming out. Then for the next 60 seconds, the captivated audience will get to hear, the good Dr's message. :D

http://pd.startribune.com/sp?aff=15&catId=11012200

how many delegates will be going to the movies when they're there?

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 01:56 PM
great idea. lets sign bomb and ad bomb!

Who has a pac that would like to do this?

What about advertising around the town on taxis, buses, billboards, airports, in hotels and newspapers for the convention.

surf
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
On Faux News just prior to McWar's acceptance speech....

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Its sept 1 to 4 we should have ads running hard those days. I also created this thread

On Faux News just prior to McWar's acceptance speech....

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
bump

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
My idea is to hit the papers with Manifesto ads using quotes from the book. Any graphic artists around? I could hire my designer to do it but would rather the grassroots do it for free ;)

AdamT
05-11-2008, 08:11 PM
It would be awesome to raise funds to do all this stuff. TV ads, movie theatres, billboards, etc. I would be interested in working on this plan or assist others. We need a RP presence surrounding MPLS!!

ItsTime
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Anyone know how to get hold of the people that did the Ron Paul bill boards?

It would be awesome to raise funds to do all this stuff. TV ads, movie theatres, billboards, etc. I would be interested in working on this plan or assist others. We need a RP presence surrounding MPLS!!

Conza88
05-11-2008, 09:32 PM
St Paul needs to become Fken SATURATED with Rp stuff.
Movie threatres. Tv channels. Radio air waves. City streets with signs. Over passes.

THE WORLD'S MEDIA will be there. Make it as if its going to be a Ron Paul convention!! :D

ItsTime
05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
agreed.

St Paul needs to become Fken SATURATED with Rp stuff.
Movie threatres. Tv channels. Radio air waves. City streets with signs. Over passes.

THE WORLD'S MEDIA will be there. Make it as if its going to be a Ron Paul convention!! :D

yongrel
05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
And it will only cost you the soul of your first-born child.

ItsTime
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
We all ready have the pacs set up to do this. We have the High Tide ad and the bill board people. If we focus a little energy we can get the High Tide ads playing on every tv station for the four days and billboard/buses/benches/newspapers covered in Ron Paul 'The Revolution: A Manifesto' quotes.

I mean our freaking target audience will be in one place.

And it will remind OUR delegates that they are not alone and to stand strong and proud at the convention.

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 02:13 PM
maybe I should have posted something negative about the blimp, those threads get more views ;) bump

torchbearer
05-13-2008, 02:18 PM
great idea.
Send a PM to RonPaulBillboard, I think he still comes online.

mport1
05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
i like this idea

newbitech
05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Setup a website. I am ready to send money to grassroots efforts to get some more airtime. This and the march are the best places to put limited grassroots money imo. We need one more exclamation point on this election cycle and the media is ready to oblige.

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 04:50 PM
any ideas for the what we should name this? PM me them so no one snatches up the domain.

bucfish
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
This and The Blimp and RP Airforce over head welcoming delegates into town!

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
good idea. do you know how to get hold of RP Air force?

This and The Blimp and RP Airforce over head welcoming delegates into town!

MRoCkEd
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
great idea if enough will get things going and contribute

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
unknown user. :confused:

great idea.
Send a PM to RonPaulBillboard, I think he still comes online.

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Ron Paul Tide? Ron Paul Airdrop? *shrug*

Anyway, the campaign has five mil. on hand. The campaign has done all it really can for education purposes with advertising, it needs to rely now on word of mouth. Now, if there's going to be a "revolt" staged at the convention, having the billboards, print and television ads, signs, and a large number of nearby Paul supporters transported in would be the best way to spend the remaining money. Do we have anyone here that is directly in the campaign, or linked to it or something?

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
our last stand, our stick it to the man moment, I think a lot of people will love to see st paul plastered!

great idea if enough will get things going and contribute

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I think the grassroots can handle this. We have the infrastructure set up to do this. we have a long time to get the money.

Ron Paul Tide? Ron Paul Airdrop? *shrug*

Anyway, the campaign has five mil. on hand. The campaign has done all it really can for education purposes with advertising, it needs to rely now on word of mouth. Now, if there's going to be a "revolt" staged at the convention, having the billboards, print and television ads, signs, and a large number of nearby Paul supporters transported in would be the best way to spend the remaining money. Do we have anyone here that is directly in the campaign, or linked to it or something?

MRoCkEd
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
i'm all for it
i'll sign right up if someone gets a site started

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
There's little reason that we can't do both. A strong effort by the grassroots to get the campaign on board would massively increase our buying ability. Meanwhile, we need to look at this on a smaller scale, instead of saying "Buy it all, buy it now!" we should be saying, "How much are print ads for a week going to cost? Each newspaper? Size? Alright, the cost of 2 full page ads in each significant paper for one week total is $XXX.XX. Reserve that now. Alright, next up we're looking at billboards..." Like that. Grandiose talk of this and that sounds good and feels good, but since we're actually a movement we should be actively moving toward something.

sratiug
05-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Camel (cigarettes) used to have some tall skinny advertising trucks to drive around a city advertising special events. They were really just rolling billboards. We could have our own airport/hotel shutlle service with a pimped out Revolutionary War Wagon to carry real Republican delegates.

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
agreed. I think High Tide is a good example at how this should be done in little steps buying up ad space as we get the money for it. But have an over all goal of what we want to buy.

There's little reason that we can't do both. A strong effort by the grassroots to get the campaign on board would massively increase our buying ability. Meanwhile, we need to look at this on a smaller scale, instead of saying "Buy it all, buy it now!" we should be saying, "How much are print ads for a week going to cost? Each newspaper? Size? Alright, the cost of 2 full page ads in each significant paper for one week total is $XXX.XX. Reserve that now. Alright, next up we're looking at billboards..." Like that. Grandiose talk of this and that sounds good and feels good, but since we're actually a movement we should be actively moving toward something.

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Let's get a real discussion started on this. Alright, you say the grassroots infrastructure. That sounds good. What is it? Let's get it on this. Let's start getting estimates of costs for this. Let's define what we want to do for this. Here're my suggestions for this:

1.) We get a sub-forum at least to start organizing this. One topic on a very fast-moving board could easily be lost.
2.) People here who have gotten into contact with leaders of the grassroot infrastructure before get them in on this. Are you the head of a meetup group that organized for the Tea Party? Great, reorganize them and start doing a Chipin for a radio spot.
3.) Once we've got a sub-forum, get five or six people to start contacting newspapers and radio stations in the area of the convention and asking if it's possible to reserve spots there and how much it would cost. They would then communicate this to us on the forum. It's likely that this will become a website at some point in time, but a forum will work just fine for now.
4.) What exactly are we going to be doing? I see references to bringing back the Blimp and am filled with terror. I see something about a moving billboard and wonder if it would be cost-effective. There's no reason we can't be creative, but let's get the basic tenants considered, cost-estimated, fundraised and paid for, and reserved first. Here's what I suggest the tenants should be:

1.) T.V. spots for two days prior to the Convention and the length of it. Relevant stations only. If possible, the same channels the Convention is being broadcast would be fantastic, but may be prohibitively expensive.
2.) Radio spots for two days prior to the Convention and the length of it. Relevant and popular stations only.
3.) Print ads for 1 week prior to the Convention and the length of it. As many as we can cover cost-effectively, really.

After this, we walk into the "Would be nice but isn't necessary" range:

4.) Billboards. Very interesting, cool, and a powerful statement, but may be too costly to do on a wide scale.
5.) Transportation for local supporters who can't make it on their own. This would have to be very well-organized, but with the time we have, is doable.
6.) Signs. We have plenty of these made, we shouldn't have to make any more. If there aren't enough on hand, supporters can send theirs to the people who will need them at the convention, but this shouldn't be a problem. Same thing goes for campaign literature.

I have no idea how much the first three would cost, but it would be wise to start reserving these spots within the next month to get the best possible spots at sensible cost. As of right now, we need a subforum to organize.

Edit, I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_in_the_Twin_Cities

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
The idea is to take quotes from The Revolution and use them as advertising for the book during the RNC. Newspaper, billboards, park benches, buses and other moving billboards. Basically painting the town. Why the book? Because most of the things listed want to be rented for longer than a week. It is not about getting him elected it is about the message.

Adam has also said he will be buying air time to get High Tide played in the St Paul market that week.

A week before will do no real good since the delegates will not be there.

Getting paper prices tomorrow, website designer is lined up.

I am still looking for the billboard people's contact info

Subforum can not be made because we do not have a name yet. We are brainstorming right now in PMs

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Why brainstorm in PMs? Do it right here on the forum.

Anyway, you just said something contradictory. You said this isn't about getting him elected, it's about spreading the message. Then you say that there's no point in having the ads up a week early, since the delegates won't be there. Do you mean that we're trying to spread the message to the delegates specifically?

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Correct. We are trying to spread the message to the delegates at the same time reminding OUR delegates they are not alone, there are millions of people behind them. what better way to do all that then by painting the town with The Revolution quotes?

Why brainstorm in PMs? Do it right here on the forum.

Anyway, you just said something contradictory. You said this isn't about getting him elected, it's about spreading the message. Then you say that there's no point in having the ads up a week early, since the delegates won't be there. Do you mean that we're trying to spread the message to the delegates specifically?

kombayn
05-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Does the RNC give out programs to each night? You can buy advertisements for Ron Paul and his book inside the program. Possibly push for an article to be published by him. I also think getting an online Petition set-up to be signed by Americans (no matter who the party they're affiliated too) to get Ron Paul a speaking spot at the RNC. It's vital. I feel you're best off doing TV and radio spots. Plus posters that you can place on construction boards. Bumper Stickers, T-Shirts, Ron PaulBooks, Pocket Constitutions, pencils, banners, all kinds of things. Guerrilla marketing at its finest.

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
We have to be smart about the quotes we use. Some will scare people away and be countereffective, it's been a running tragic gag of the campaign. Also, I see that you did not mention T.V. spots, radio spots, and helping get nearby supporters there cost-effectively. Are these things to be considered?

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
high tide will be playing on the tv those days if we can get the funds for him to buy the spots. The idea is to use all the established grassroots people that have been doing big advertising campaigns for Ron Paul and focus in on St Paul. So yes all those things are being considered :D

and I have a quote thread already started

We have to be smart about the quotes we use. Some will scare people away and be countereffective, it's been a running tragic gag of the campaign. Also, I see that you did not mention T.V. spots, radio spots, and helping get nearby supporters there cost-effectively. Are these things to be considered?

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
kombayn, wait a moment. This is another one of these situations where we need to look before we leap. Ron Paul pencils? What is the point of that? Why? T-shirts? Doesn't the campaign itself already sell those? Wouldn't we be doing a dual benefit by buying them straight from the campaign? Same thing for a lot of these. Ron Paul books? Are you advocating that we sell them straight to people, tell people to go to their local bookstores, or buy a copy for every delegate personally? Pocket Constitutions? We like the idea, but that'd start weirding people out (sadly) and would be a net-negative. Posters and banners I like, however.

kombayn
05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
I just mean people that'll be in St. Paul to promote Dr. Paul's message. I'm just throwing out ideas. I like having quotes from Dr. Paul's book on posters, stickers and banners with quotes and messages (Such as at the bottom "Buy "The Revolution: A Manifesto" at your local bookstore or online."). I'm thinking about going out to the RNC, especially if Ron Paul isn't allowed a speaking spot at the convention. His support should be at the convention to vent their frustration with the party not allowing other ideal GOP members to speak.

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
It will be hard to ignore him when we have all this going on :D

I just mean people that'll be in St. Paul to promote Dr. Paul's message. I'm just throwing out ideas. I like having quotes from Dr. Paul's book on posters, stickers and banners with quotes and messages (Such as at the bottom "Buy "The Revolution: A Manifesto" at your local bookstore or online."). I'm thinking about going out to the RNC, especially if Ron Paul isn't allowed a speaking spot at the convention. His support should be at the convention to vent their frustration with the party not allowing other ideal GOP members to speak.

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Sorry, my rebuttal was a bit harsher than it should have been, but I'd like to nip wasteful ideas in the bud. We're on the tailend of our fundraising ability. It's still noteworthy, but it's not what it was, and we can't afford to waste a single cent. Furthermore, it's contrary to our very ideals to be wasting money on something that would be inefficient. So, sorry about that.

We also need to look at this as sort of a "goalposts" thing. First thing on the list? Get Ron Paul a primetime speaking slot. This is what the campaign is doing, and what we're already doing, so it doesn't really need to be a part of this. Two? Spread the message. That would be the core tenant ads we're talking about. However, once we've got these things buckled down, with Dr. Paul having a good speaking slot, let's redefine the goalposts. Get more Revolution delegates speaking slots. Organize it, get as much time as possible. Push the boundaries, that sort of thing.

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Dont count on getting our delegates any more speaking time and I think you are confusing the official campaign with the grassroots.

Sorry, my rebuttal was a bit harsher than it should have been, but I'd like to nip wasteful ideas in the bud. We're on the tailend of our fundraising ability. It's still noteworthy, but it's not what it was, and we can't afford to waste a single cent. Furthermore, it's contrary to our very ideals to be wasting money on something that would be inefficient. So, sorry about that.

We also need to look at this as sort of a "goalposts" thing. First thing on the list? Get Ron Paul a primetime speaking slot. This is what the campaign is doing, and what we're already doing, so it doesn't really need to be a part of this. Two? Spread the message. That would be the core tenant ads we're talking about. However, once we've got these things buckled down, with Dr. Paul having a good speaking slot, let's redefine the goalposts. Get more Revolution delegates speaking slots. Organize it, get as much time as possible. Push the boundaries, that sort of thing.

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
I realize that. I'm stating that if there's any way for us (the grassroots) to help them (the campaign) in getting Dr. Paul a speaking slot, we should help. That may by e-mails, letters, phone calls, whatever. It should be the priority of every Ron Paul supporter to help however he can in this area, because it is the lynchpin of the entire plan, Ron Paul speaking. I'm not saying that it is a part of THIS, but it's still the ultimate goal and we need to remember that.

Anyway, I meant that once that is secured, there's no point in not taking a shot at getting more speaking time. *shrug* Shot in the dark, but who knows?

ItsTime
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
agreed. I wish we would get some kinda marching orders. But we are going ahead with this plan, lets see where it goes. Ron Paul will be there one way or another no matter what. If he gets speaking time, then this is icing on the cake.

I realize that. I'm stating that if there's any way for us (the grassroots) to help them (the campaign) in getting Dr. Paul a speaking slot, we should help. That may by e-mails, letters, phone calls, whatever. It should be the priority of every Ron Paul supporter to help however he can in this area, because it is the lynchpin of the entire plan, Ron Paul speaking. I'm not saying that it is a part of THIS, but it's still the ultimate goal and we need to remember that.

Anyway, I meant that once that is secured, there's no point in not taking a shot at getting more speaking time. *shrug* Shot in the dark, but who knows?

Sarkin
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Alright, so let's recap on what we've got organized and what's left. (Trying to catch up with you wily PMers, I feel so left out. ;_;)

- Website designer acquired
- Print ad costs being estimated tomorrow
- Adam is paying for High Tide in the St. Paul market (probably the most expensive thing right there)

Question: Is Adam paying for it personally, or is he doing the fundraising effort to pay for it? Second, will he also be picking the stations/reserving the spots, or is that still to be decided?

Sarkin
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Bump, sorry for double post.

ItsTime
06-21-2008, 07:31 PM
just a reminder who started this all because I have the ego of an ant.

mediahasyou
06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Neocons like talk radio. Lets get inside their heads.

Jdayh
06-22-2008, 01:41 AM

List your fav The Revolution quotes in this tread so we can make some news paper ads with them. Why not promote his book at the same time huh?

how about a commercial for "The Revolution ..A Manifesto" .... can you imagine how sales would take off!!!!

Knightskye
06-22-2008, 10:08 AM

Great idea.

How much would that cost, and about how many people would it reach? And can we get the URL at the end changed, since it still reads www.RonPaul2008.com?