PDA

View Full Version : Report from the Mississippi "Convention" - (joke)

ChristianAnarchist
05-11-2008, 09:15 AM
The MS convention was a joke. We were three (my brother-in-law was a delegate and us other two were alternates). We knew of only two other RP types there so we did not have any numbers or organization on how to act. None of us had ever been to a convention so we did not know what to expect.

Like other posts here, the MS convention was all pre-settled. Their was a slate of delegates that (as I found out later) was hand-picked by Gov Haley Barbour. After listening to speeches by party hacks (and the governor), we went to our district rooms and accepted the slate of delegates by voice vote and finished business in about 10 minutes. There was really no way to change the course of events.

The only "enlightening" part of this process was after lunch when the three of us had a little private discussion with the "Sargent at Arms" outside of the hall. This old guy had been an assistant to the Gov during his first two terms and been involved in the process for about 1000 years. He talked with a subdued tone about how the party was no longer exciting and how prior conventions had real fireworks and discussion about the process of electing delegates. We told him we could have stayed home for the amount of participation we had in the process. He told us that the only time we could have done anything about the "slate" was at about 9:30 when they presented the acceptance of the "rules and bylaws committee report". At that time we could have objected to the report and made motions to change the process. Once the report was "accepted" by voice vote (which was rushed through that it seemed like it was over before it began) the slate was a done deal.

After we had gained this guys acceptance of us, I casually brought up the fact that the only candidate we had this year that made any sense and actually understood the problems and how to address them was Ron Paul. He said that he agreed with Dr. Paul about most of his issues but that he was "looney" on some of his polices. I pressed him on what those were, but he didn't have any specific policy so I volunteered that the main issue where he disagrees with the party was on the war. We had a discussion about the war and since we were both alive in the 60's I made the argument that we made a mistake then (he seemed to agree) and we are making another mistake now (he did not dispute this).

So now the delegates are the delegates and we are stuck with them. I know one of these guys and I'm going to give him "The Revolution" and talk to him about how the republican party has lost it's way and it's costing them votes. If he becomes even somewhat enlightened, he may make the right decision if something happens to McInsane and he has to drop out (keep praying)...

MozoVote
05-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, other southeastern states will probably be like this too. Paul was getting single digits in most of them. I'm not expecting much at the N.C. convention either, Paul only got 7% here. (Our best shot at national delegates was the district conventions, and we came just one vote away from electing a delegate in 6th, and in 2nd districts. :() But I've made it this far, so I'll be there.

The biggest intrigue for us, will be who fills out the 4 (maybe 5) delegate spots we should have from the preference primary. Will they be "real" Paul supporters, or party stooges?

Magicman
05-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm telling you I think that this ordering the Revolution book has a much stronger chance then people think and we send it to the national delegates.

What I am seeing is a gang mentality and a lot of these people duped for two reasons they want comradery and a lot of their peers told them Paul is a loon by going against that notion makes them feel like outcasts to their party.

The most significant other reason is that Paul was screwed at the debates so his answers were very concise and given little time if these people read about Paul it may give a chance to understand where he is coming from and also expand upon the issues they know about him. Maybe then they will realize the error of their ways and we can have a stronger chance.

We should sen d the book to all national delegates and/or congress/senate.

MozoVote
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
We're not just fighting ideas and opinions about Dr Paul. We going up against established patronage.

When state party leaders put these slates together, there are some silent strings attached. The payback comes later, in the presidential administration, when the president "remembers" who was helpful. Those states get appointments to boards and courts... federal pork, etc.

I think this is really why Nevada is trying so hard to avoid sending a Paul slate. It's not really so much about Paul's stances. The NVGOP does not want to be at the back of the feeding trough, if McCain does win the presidency. There are probably multiple promises made by the NVGOP leadership to people, about "getting them in" to federal departments. A Paul delegation at the national convention, is an ugly bump in the road.

Magicman
05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
^

Makes sense even before this as to why cheating can easily happen in the primaries as why they follow the 'winner' in all cases. Even if the person cheats to win they probably pay attention to what the MSM is telling the choice because some of those people could careless as long as they sell out and get those federal powers. They are sure to go for where the money as leading to them instead of any principles. That's why the MSM's hand was instrumental beyond even the voting accord.

Akus
05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
We're not just fighting ideas and opinions about Dr Paul. We going up against established patronage.

When state party leaders put these slates together, there are some silent strings attached. The payback comes later, in the presidential administration, when the president "remembers" who was helpful. Those states get appointments to boards and courts... federal pork, etc.

I think this is really why Nevada is trying so hard to avoid sending a Paul slate. It's not really so much about Paul's stances. The NVGOP does not want to be at the back of the feeding trough, if McCain does win the presidency. There are probably multiple promises made by the NVGOP leadership to people, about "getting them in" to federal departments. A Paul delegation at the national convention, is an ugly bump in the road.
that actually answered my question that I made a big thread about.....

thanks

Akus
05-11-2008, 12:27 PM
The MS convention was a joke............I guess it's better late then never that some people realize that Ron Paul would have been a much better choice..

squandertime
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
surely there were more people who were ron paul supporters at the mississippi convention than the 3 of yall..........

is there no ron paul organization in the whole state!!

i dont believe that-

but if it is true- than you must take it upon yourselves to find out who these national delegates are and talk with them...... and tell them that ron paul, huckabee, and rommney supporters are going to have their national delegates walk out on first ballot- that is a fact and it looks as though it may be upwards of 40% who do this.

get them thinking about why they dont support mccain and why they should walk out with the others.......

then get the list of every ron paul, huckabee and rommney supporter and get them all to call these national delegates from MS.

the first ballot must go down in flames!!!

in liberty

rob

ChristianAnarchist
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
There were us three and two from the Jackson RP meetup. Both of them said they had never been to a convention before either and we really didn't understand the process. I am definitely going to work on the one delegate that I know who is going to MN. I will be giving him a copy of Revolution and a DVD. I will follow that up with a few contacts between then and the convention. We shall see if I can sway him...

squandertime
05-11-2008, 05:59 PM
http://people.ronpaul2008.com/

click on states then click on mississippi

email nd@ronpaul2008.com

find out how you can help...........

robin

newyearsrevolution08
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
We just have to keep on fighting towards our goal. Imagine how strong we will be in 4 years, 8 years and so on. They will have to BREAK US to stop us and I don't see that happening in my life time.

Keep fighting and we will keep getting the manifesto into the hands of people around us to read and discuss with. We need to educate those around us and it can expand that way as well.

It will make these conventions a bit easier to deal with because HOPEFULLY in the next 4-8 years we can get people in office that actually respect us and human life.

dealerjim
05-11-2008, 09:07 PM
We have a small meetup group in Northwest MS. Two of our members were supposed to be going to the convention.

skeet
05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi CA, The real joke was not the State convention, it was at the precinct and County levels. There was organization, but little participation. There were more at the State convention than you characterized. I won't name names or Counties, but there was a sizable delegation from the coast (We met and I introduced you to several folks). All together we had about 6% of the convention. We could have disrupted it and it would have felt great that weekend, but we have much bigger fish to fry. Our mission was two fold 1. Get RP nominated and 2. Redirect the path of the GOP. The first option was out, as you stated, we simply didn't have the numbers, but option 2. was very successful and will be a long term process. We had influence with and was successful with one resolution - It dealt with interpretation of the US Constitution.
If you were expecting what happened in Nevada I can see why you were let down, but they had 2/3 of the delgates at that convention. We had around 6% which is good considering RP only took 3% of our State.
Here is what we did do: We now have members on County executive committees in over half of the 82 Counties in this State. Three are County Chairs. We have a 50% or greater number of members in two of the top 6 GOP Counties in this State. We have a bonefide Congressional candidate running and many are planning runs for State, County, and municipal offices over the next few years.
What is impressive about that is - Political power is not about who can yell the loudest, but about leverage. We as a group now have it. All of those Seargent at Arms you talked to were there because we scared them. The morning County Chairman meeting was about what "we" might do and how they will need to "rush" through the slates. It seems dirty (it is) but here is what we know. They can win very few (if any) State wide elections without us. Thus they will have to cater to us. We did (and will continue) to make a positive difference. For most of us in our State it is no longer about the cult-of-personality associated with the freedom message, it is only about the message. We are in this for the long haul. (sorry for the long post)

ChristianAnarchist
05-24-2008, 05:53 AM
Good. We need some form of communication between all RP supporters in MS who are active so that we can unify our efforts...