PDA

View Full Version : Any word coming out of UTAH or ARIZONA today?

TER
05-10-2008, 02:32 PM
??

TER
05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
bump?

MozoVote
05-10-2008, 03:40 PM
The Nevada convention lasted until the evening hours. Find something to do. Check back after dinner. Especially for east coast forumers.

IPSecure
05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
AZ GOP elects half its national convention delegates

Associated Press - May 10, 2008 4:44 PM ET

MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Republican activists elected the first half of the Arizonans who will serve as delegates to the national GOP convention.

Most of the 24 delegates elected Saturday were from the slate of candidates assembled by party officials and supporters of presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain. The second half of delegates were scheduled to be elected later in the day.

Some conservative Republicans who are critical of McCain are seeking delegate spots. The critics include the southwest regional coordinator for Ron Paul's presidential campaign.

Arizona GOP Chairman Randy Pullen says all political parties have some dissension in their ranks, but he says he's confident the state's delegates to the national convention in St. Paul, Minn., will support McCain.

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=8305052

First Step: Replace the Chairman!

Join The Paul Side
05-10-2008, 05:42 PM
First Step: Replace the Chairman!

That's what I say too but nobody listens. It seems these people are doing a fine job of pushing through their prescreened slates of McCain supporters.

Badger Paul
05-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I take it the word "most" meaning we did elect a few from the CD's which is a pretty good coup considering this is McCain's home state.

MozoVote
05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Trying to oust the chairman right off the bat, is likely to cause the "herd" to gather around him in support, to shelter him from the "trouble makers". It sounds like from most conventions, the chairman is named by the state party leader.

You have to time it right. There needs to be enough obvious shit in front of the delegation, to win some people over for a mutiny... Even Nevada was around 40% Paulites, and they probably could not have done it right away.

zimmru
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, things did not go well in Utah.

Romney got 90% of the vote back in the primary, so the McCain/Romney slate pretty much cleaned up. My understanding is we only got 2 out of 27 national delegates elected.

We were able to defeat the bylaw that would have bound the 27 to McCain in the first round--they'll still be forced to vote Romney in the first round. But it seems almost moot, since 25 appear to be voting for McCain in the second round.

Shii
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM

Romney got 90% of the vote back in the primary, so the McCain/Romney slate pretty much cleaned up. My understanding is we only got 2 out of 27 national delegates elected.

We were able to defeat the bylaw that would have bound the 27 to McCain in the first round--they'll still be forced to vote Romney in the first round. But it seems almost moot, since 25 appear to be voting for McCain in the second round.

Even so... that's dedication :)

RonPaulVolunteer
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Until they have read The Revolution.

kathy88
05-10-2008, 07:51 PM

NOT IF WE GET THEM THE MANIFESTOS IN TIME

newyearsrevolution08
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
which will soon be headed their way anyways. don't forget to get delegate contact information for our master list as well.

Keep fighting in all states, we will get them the information they NEED to actually make an educated decision. I just hope they take the time to read the damn book.

It is never easy to take out a super power from the top down, sometimes we have to take out the knees first THEN attack...... Local, state, federal - we will be everywhere da da dahhhh...... lol.

The conventions always make me imagine a smoky room that is almost dark, a guy at the head of this large table, is that weird?

I am just happy that the manifesto has sparked new interest in the revolution for so many. It really was something that we needed to get our second wind for November and beyond.

devil21
05-10-2008, 08:04 PM
2 out of 27 is not bad, especially since a brokered convention is the goal. Forcing them all to vote for Romney first gives time to hopefully sway some McCain delegates over to RP instead in the second round.

ItsTime
05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
how many did MSM say ron paul received in Utah?

Nyte
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Just got home from the Utah Convention.

We fought a good fight. We soundly defeated the attempt to amend the Party By-Laws and hand Romney's delegates over to McCain. Thanks to all the volunteers who called the state delegates and informed them!

33 delegates were elected and 4 are confirmed Ron Paul supporters. The rest, for the most part, are party elites (governor, congressmen, etc, etc), who will vote the party line.

One of the best moments of the convention was when Senator Hatch was trying to rally the convention behind McCain and got booed by about a 3rd of the convention. He got all flustered and started saying how us "Ron Paul people" were going to cost the Republicans the election this year. He quickly finished his speech, hauled ass off the stage and left the convention.

The most disappointing moment was the McCain video that was shown, but no Ron Paul video. A bunch of RP supporters in the crowd started yelling for a RP video and that he was still in the race. UT Party leadership then quickly started the video for Utah's Attorney General (who had already won by assent). Sad, sad moment.

Other than that, I thought it went pretty well. As for myself, I received 308 votes for National Delegate At Large. Not bad considering that represented about 15% of the total, but not enough to secure one of the 24 At-Large spots. I gave it my best and I feel good about the results, given this was my first convention, and considering who I was up against.

newyearsrevolution08
05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Nyte, how hard would it be to get contact information for the delegates so we can add them to the list to send a manifesto to?

We really need to figure that out so we can get these fresh delegates a copy and soon.

ItsTime
05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
thank you patriot!

We fought a good fight. We soundly defeated the attempt to amend the Party By-Laws and hand Romney's delegates over to McCain. Thanks to all the volunteers who called the state delegates and informed them!

33 delegates were elected and 4 are confirmed Ron Paul supporters. The rest, for the most part, are party elites (governor, congressmen, etc, etc), who will vote the party line.

One of the best moments of the convention was when Senator Hatch was trying to rally the convention behind McCain and got booed by about a 3rd of the convention. He got all flustered and started saying how us "Ron Paul people" were going to cost the Republicans the election this year. He quickly finished his speech, hauled ass off the stage and left the convention.

The most disappointing moment was the McCain video that was shown, but no Ron Paul video. A bunch of RP supporters in the crowd started yelling for a RP video and that he was still in the race. UT Party leadership then quickly started the video for Utah's Attorney General (who had already won by assent). Sad, sad moment.

Other than that, I thought it went pretty well. As for myself, I received 308 votes for National Delegate At Large. Not bad considering that represented about 15% of the total, but not enough to secure one of the 24 At-Large spots. I gave it my best and I feel good about the results, given this was my first convention, and considering who I was up against.

pepperpete1
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Thank you for trying your best!

Nyte
05-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Nyte, how hard would it be to get contact information for the delegates so we can add them to the list to send a manifesto to?

We really need to figure that out so we can get these fresh delegates a copy and soon.

I'll see what I can dig up. PM me if you don't hear from me in a couple of days.

thank you patriot!

Thank you for trying your best!

We made enough of an impact that these RINOs know that a new wind is blowing in the Party here in Utah.

TER
05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Strong work, Nyte!

MozoVote
05-10-2008, 10:34 PM
The AZ convention ostensibly started at 8:AM, and nobody has posted anything here or on the Meetup sites. That tells me it must have been a long, exhausting convention. I bet we'll be hearing that they shook the cage pretty hard, even if the delegates were going to McCain.

EDIT: There is a DailyPaul thread

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/48678

speciallyblend
05-10-2008, 11:55 PM
The AZ convention ostensibly started at 8:AM, and nobody has posted anything here or on the Meetup sites. That tells me it must have been a long, exhausting convention. I bet we'll be hearing that they shook the cage pretty hard, even if the delegates were going to McCain.

EDIT: There is a DailyPaul thread

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/48678

the more i read this stuff, It makes me not want to bother with the cogop,pisses me the hell off.

Join The Paul Side
05-11-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm glad to hear we got a couple RP Supporters as National Delegates from Utah and Arizona, but we need to do better.

Since Nevada, the Neocons have handed our ass to us in Maine, Delaware, Oklahoma, Utah, and Arizona. They got their wake up call after the NV Convention. These recent defeats should be our wake up call. I don't see how we can force a brokered convention if we don't do better and keep letting these fuckers get their way by pushing through their prescreened McCain slates. :(

Challenge everything they do! We need better organization prior to these conventions also. If we know we can walk in there and outnumber them, we can take the place over and make some real headlines. :cool:

VTV
05-11-2008, 02:06 AM
I don't like saying this, but it is possible we may need to focus on the grassroots efforts to other goals like helping more Ron Paul-like Republicans,Libertarians etc get into Congress and the Senate then continuing much more with this. We could be helping Murray Sabrin, and the dozen at least other good candidates many of which have been endorsed by Ron Paul himself instead of fighting with the pride of the Republican Party that is too arrogant to realize that McCain is going to give Obama or Clinton the presidency.

I still support what is going on. But I hope that if we can't get Ron Paul the nomination that this effort for freedom doesn't just end over what should be one battle in a much larger war.

slamhead
05-11-2008, 05:47 AM

I would not say that. First round voters could push things over to a second round where delegates from other states would be released.

speciallyblend
05-11-2008, 06:24 AM
THE GOP IS SCREWED, and im starting to actually smile over it, TREAT THE GOP LIKE THEY TREATED RON PAUL;)

MozoVote
05-11-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't think there will be a brokered convention. The GOP henchmen have shown us they will do whatever it takes to prevent one.

But these efforts to win delegates are still eye-openers to a lot of people. I used to think the press just didn't understand the delegates' roles... now I can see it's literally true, that the national party hierarchy just views them as "crowd management" and not as source of ideas or change.

It also is another demonstration of the subversion of local control from DC. Just as Washington has stuck it's hand into all kinds of state and county legislation, the RNC is shoving the "approved" candidate down the delegates' throats before the primaries are over and before a convention is held.

It's a demonstration as well, that just as the Congress has become disrooted from the Constitution, the GOP has become disrooted from its own party bylaws and rules.

The RP movement is exposing the "rot at the top" for all to see.

Sarge
05-11-2008, 08:10 AM
And this is what they are trying to keep you from being delegates to put in office.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/05/11/america/letter.php

Badger Paul
05-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Good work to our supporters in Utah and Arizona for getting as many delegates as they could.

Look, we all know that even if we can pick off a delegate or two in any of these states they're bound to vote for McCain on the first ballot, so its moot point as far as the nomination is concerned. Leave the brokered convention fantasies as just that, fantasies (besides it would take help from the Romeny and Huckabee forces and they're not going to do it). Nevada was unique in that we had a lot of supporters there compared to the other states and the GOP leadership in the state is a joke. What does it tell you when the leading GOP politicians in Nevada had something better to do that day than attend their own party's conevntion?

The fact of just having these delegates is important for the presence they'll provide us on the convention floor. Sure they may be forced to vote for McCain, but they're not going to be wearing McCain stickers or waving McCain signs. They'll be waving Ron Paul signs and wearing Ron Paul buttons. We get enough supporters on the floor that will creat a media shock because they're not accurate reporting RP's delegate count and a story, because they'll have nothing to cover in the first place. The media will be all over us and our message. They're thinking it will be a McCain coronation and here are all these Ron Paul supporters. We need to show there is dissent and a new message in the GOP and just by getting a delegate in Maine, a delagate in Arizona and few in Utah helps in this regard.

suzypotaka
05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey Nyte...

Ya did good! All we can do is our best!

Thanx AZ & UT for giving it a shot!!!!