PDA

View Full Version : House bill S 1858 DNA tests of newborn

pepperpete1
05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Please disregard if this is old news.

With virtually no fanfare, President Bush signed into law a plan ordering the government to take no more than six months to set up a "national contingency plan" to screen newborns' DNA in case of a "public health emergency."
The new law requires that the results of the program – including "information … research, and data on newborn screening" – shall be assembled by a "central clearinghouse" and made available on the Internet.
According to congressional records, S.1858, sponsored by Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., was approved in the Senate Dec. 13, in the House April 8 and signed by Bush April 24.
"Soon, under this bill, the DNA of all citizens will be housed in government genomic biobanks and considered governmental property for government research," said Twila Brase, president of the Citizens' Council on Health Care. "The DNA taken at birth from every citizen is essentially owned by the government, and every citizen becomes a potential subject of government-sponsore d genetic research."
Brase has objected extensively to plans in Minnesota to provide state government the same option now handed to the federal government by Congress.
The bill, she said, strips "citizens of genetic privacy rights and DNA property rights. It bill also violates research ethics and the Nuremberg Code.
"The public is clueless. S. 1858 imposes a federal agenda of DNA databanking and population-wide genetic research," Brase continued. "It does not require consent and there are no requirements to fully inform parents about the warehousing of their child's DNA for the purpose of genetic research.
"Already, in Minnesota, the state health department reports that 42,210 children of the 780,000 whose DNA is housed in the Minnesota 'DNA warehouse' have been subjected to genetic research without their parent's knowledge or consent," she said.
The federal plan sets up the coast-to-coast DNA collections then report the results to "physicians and families" as well as educate families about newborn screening.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, was one of the few voices to warn of the dangers. Before the plan's approval, he said, "I cannot support legislation, no matter how much I sympathize with the legislation' s stated goals, that exceed the Constitutional limitations on federal power or in any way threatens the liberty of the American people. Since S. 1858 violates the Constitution, and may have untended consequences that will weaken the American health care system and further erode medical privacy, I must oppose it."
Paul said, "S. 1858 gives the federal bureaucracy the authority to develop a model newborn screening program. Madame Speaker the federal government lacks both the constitutional authority and the competence to develop a newborn screening program adequate for a nation as large and diverse as the United States. …"
He also said as the federal government assumes more control over health care, medical privacy is coming under assault.
"Those of us in the medical profession should be particularly concerned about policies allowing government officials and state-favored interests to access our medical records without our consent … My review of S. 1858 indicates the drafters of the legislation made no effort to ensure these newborn screening programs do not violate the privacy rights of parents and children," Paul continued.
"In fact, by directing federal bureaucrats to create a contingency plan for newborn screening in the event of a 'public health' disaster, this bill may lead to further erosions of medical privacy. As recent history so eloquently illustrates, politicians are more than willing to take, and people are more than willing to cede, liberty during times of 'emergency," he said.

Can people really buy into "It is for your own good", and let this pass?

We need Ron Paul now!:mad:

SteveMartin
05-09-2008, 09:37 PM
425-1.

I love Ron Paul!

pepperpete1
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
425-1.

I love Ron Paul!

and three

RSLudlum
05-09-2008, 09:47 PM
is this something you wrote or an article you found...if it's one you found can you provide a source/link??

pepperpete1
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
is this something you wrote or an article you found...if it's one you found can you provide a source/link??

I received this article (really long) from someone in another group I belong to:

Posted: May 01, 2008
11:40 pm Eastern
By Bob Unruh
© 2008 WorldNetDaily
...With virtually no fanfare, President Bush has signed into law a plan ordering the government to take no more than six months to set up a "national contingency plan" to screen newborns' DNA in case of a "public health emergency."

A person could look up bill S1858 for verification .

RSLudlum
05-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I received this article (really long) from someone in another group I belong to:

Thanks pete,

found the article here: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=63112

Don't forget to digg it here: h ttp://digg.com/politics/National_DNA_database_gets_kickstart_from_feds

pepperpete1
05-09-2008, 10:00 PM

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1858

The above will take you to where it tells you all about the bill.:)

pepperpete1
05-10-2008, 07:38 AM
bump

UnReconstructed
05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
The states have been doing genetic testing for years on newborns. If you're under 35 then you have been tested. This is just the Feds adding more bureaucracy like that of the USDA or the Department of Education. The states have been doing it and now Uncle Sugar is saying they have to include him.

kathy88
05-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Sickening.

pinkmandy
05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, they do mandatory genetic screening. It is presented to parents as NOT optional and to detect potentially fatal diseases. They use fear, playing on new parents' emotions. "We have to do this test because your baby could die!". It's mandatory in VA. I wish I had known all of this before having my kids. I would have had homebirths.

I think I'm going to call my hospital Monday morning and find out what happens to the DNA and just start raising hell. I know it won't mean much on a grand scale but maybe it will make people start thinking. Letters to the editor, all over the country, wouldn't hurt. This is one of those things that would upset a lot of parents if they only knew about it.