PDA

View Full Version : Contingency plan?

Sandman
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Do We as a grassroots movement have a contingency plan for a an Independent run?I'm not sure what would be needed to get our man on the ballot.I know Ron has stated dozens of time he has no plan to do that...But lets say he did.Could we get it done?

DrYongrel
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Donate to Murray Sabrin and BJ Lawson.

Fields
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Do We as a grassroots movement have a contingency plan for a an Independent run?I'm not sure what would be needed to get our man on the ballot.I know Ron has stated dozens of time he has no plan to do that...But lets say he did.Could we get it done?

As the grassroots we can get anything done. Time will tell whether we need to mobilize.

mdh
05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
No. The deadlines are past for filing in some states for this. If he were to announce, his ballot access would be severely limited.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I think it would still be possible after the convention, were he to utilize ballot lines from several existing third parties. Though it's true his options as an independent would be severely limited, since most states have deadlines that are already over by mid-September.

An independent run supported by third parties would still be theoretically possible after the convention. We already know Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party would gladly step aside for Ron Paul. And if the Libertarians nominate Mary Ruwart or Bob Barr, they would likely have no problem stepping aside or going into a VP role for Ron Paul. With these two parties, he would easily have no problem winning 50 state ballot access.

We all know it's unlikely, but I maintain Ron Paul holds some scenario in the back of his mind whereby he would continue running. This is why he never totally slams the door shut, and continuess to echo the lines "no intentions" or "no plans" rather than an absolute NO. Only Ron Paul knows what that scenario is, and it's probably something drastic...McCain breakdown, much worsening economic slump, continued Democratic infighting, all mixed with heavy demand for such a run from supporters...you get the idea.

Other than a few informal web polls on these forums, there has never been an organized effort to encourage Ron Paul to run independent/third party. There are many factors holding Ron Paul back from doing it, but this is probably the biggest. The Good Doctor is not really a gambling man (even if he supports the rights of all other gambling men ;)) as we saw in the overblown focus on no name Peden in March. He's not willing to risk a third party bid with no way of knowing how much support is out there. I believe he would only keep running if he thought there were a chance to win, or to at least make the Presidential debates (requiring 10-15% in national polls) to spread the message...

Or for all we know, Ron Paul could be sitting in his office right now wondering why his grassroots aren't demanding he run as a Libertarian again. Very improbable, but the point is that only Dr. Paul has a real sense on the third party question right now.

mdh
05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
With these two parties, he would easily have no problem winning 50 state ballot access.

This just isn't true. There are problem states which are problem states for both the LP and CP for very good reasons. Oklahoma is a big example of this. There's virtually no chance of getting a candidate who isn't a Republican or Democrat on the OK ballot until laws there are changed.

qh4dotcom
05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
We all know it's unlikely, but I maintain Ron Paul holds some scenario in the back of his mind whereby he would continue running. This is why he never totally slams the door shut, and continuess to echo the lines "no intentions" or "no plans" rather than an absolute NO. Only Ron Paul knows what that scenario is, and it's probably something drastic...McCain breakdown, much worsening economic slump, continued Democratic infighting, all mixed with heavy demand for such a run from supporters...you get the idea.

Other than a few informal web polls on these forums, there has never been an organized effort to encourage Ron Paul to run independent/third party. There are many factors holding Ron Paul back from doing it, but this is probably the biggest. The Good Doctor is not really a gambling man (even if he supports the rights of all other gambling men ;)) as we saw in the overblown focus on no name Peden in March. He's not willing to risk a third party bid with no way of knowing how much support is out there. I believe he would only keep running if he thought there were a chance to win, or to at least make the Presidential debates (requiring 10-15% in national polls) to spread the message...

After Super Tuesday here is what he said

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Tdz&q=%22no+third+party+run%22+paul&btnG=Search

Of course, I am committed to fighting for our ideas within the Republican party, so there will be no third party run. I do not denigrate third parties -- just the opposite, and I have long worked to remove the ballot-access restrictions on them. But I am a Republican, and I will remain a Republican.

Feelgood
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM

No.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
After Super Tuesday here is what he said

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Tdz&q=%22no+third+party+run%22+paul&btnG=Search

Actually, I've heard this message was ghost written for Ron Paul, like many directly sent during the height of the campaign. I'm inclined to believe it, why the hell would he quote Trotsky in the same message? At least in televised and print interviews, he continues to echo the same old "no plans" and "no intentions" line.

His primary problem with such a run when he elaborates on it is ballot access. It doesn't sound like he's against it just because it is a non-GOP run, but rather because it would be near impossible without utilizing ballot lines from existing third parties like the LP and CP.

mdh
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Actually, I've heard this message was ghost written for Ron Paul, like many directly sent during the height of the campaign. I'm inclined to believe it, why the hell would he quote Trotsky in the same message? At least in televised and print interviews, he continues to echo the same old "no plans" and "no intentions" line.

His primary problem with such a run when he elaborates on it is ballot access. It doesn't sound like he's against it just because it is a non-GOP run, but rather because it would be near impossible without utilizing ballot lines from existing third parties like the LP and CP.

Ron Paul has no problem with running for president on the LP line. This was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Leave the poor man alone - he's done enough, and he's going to keep serving as our voice in congress. The rest is now officially up to us.

newyearsrevolution08
05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Send the Manifesto to everyone we know. If we all send out 10 books to friends and families and tell them to do the same once they have read the book. I can see the revolution really expanding in numbers.

We could really have a solid base for the GOP 2.0 in 4 years. Imagine what we can get done in 4 years time people? We can get those manifestos out like bibles and the book of mormon is.

Even if you don't like ron paul you will still read an interesting book. Something might click for some and those hard headed ones can't be helped anyways.

I would rather educate people around me so they vote correctly next time rather then spend thousands on congressional runs that MIGHT not even go to completion.

However this revolution continues I am all for it, attack from all sides people. They can't stop all our efforts whether they think they can or not.

gerryb
05-10-2008, 10:50 PM
We could really have a solid base for the GOP 2.0 in 4 years. Imagine what we can get done in 4 years time people? We can get those manifestos out like bibles and the book of mormon is.

you mean 2 years, right? =P

and my local school board's election is next week =)