PDA

View Full Version : Political Faxes

pwnsey
08-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Hey guys I was thinking that we could send faxes to local businesses with a single page of Ron Paul information. This could be helpful because people will actually read faxes, in my opinion. I've done a little research on the legality of this and came up with this:

http://www.nfib.com/object/IO_29443.html

"Faxes that fall outside the definition of unsolicited advertisements and are therefore exempt from these limitations: faxes about debt collection, messages related to existing accounts and ongoing transactions fall, information only communications, industry news articles, legislative updates, employee benefit information, messages involving political or religious discourse, such as a request for a donation to a political campaign, political action committee or charitable organization."

Am I wrong or is this perfectly legal?

noxagol
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Seems like it to me.

Even if it isn't legal, that is a good idea.

bbachtung
08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
The politicians always exempt themselves from these laws . . . the Do Not Call Registry does not apply to political calls, either.

pwnsey
08-22-2007, 11:37 PM
The politicians always exempt themselves from these laws . . . the Do Not Call Registry does not apply to political calls, either.

Good news!

Spirit of '76
08-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Personally, I would be pissed if someone started sending me unsolicited political faxes.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Ohhh. Do reconsider. Email spam is one thing: it only costs the recipient 3 seconds worth of time (which is money).

But fax spam costs more: ink/toner/paper/administrative assistant time.

If you have a targeted list, an opt-in list for political anything, that's not so bad. But the average business owner is going to see this as an unsolicited cost. And we need small business owners to be on our side.

There are better ways.

pwnsey
08-23-2007, 12:09 AM
K because of the bad rep it has been given by you guys. I will no longer do it. :)

gocubsgo
08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
I like this idea... especially to small business owners. We should come up with a standard fax document.

princessredtights
08-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I really get annoyed with receiving junk faxes at work ... (I get 10 + a day) :mad:

ConstitutionGal
08-23-2007, 08:32 AM
As a small business owner whose fax uses ink cartridges (which are relatively expensive), I can tell you that I HATE getting unsolicited faxes. You are more likely to turn people off to Ron Paul than to garner him any support.

Better bet might be to search for website of local companies and then send them an email (in which you can include links to your favorite Ron Paul YouTube video, his campaign site, etc.).

Just my 2 cents worth.;)

Marshall
08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Sometimes I think if I get one more fax from some random company telling me about their mortgage rates I may snap.

Junk mail and email is one thing. But when you're using someone else's paper and ink it's another thing entirely.