PDA

View Full Version : Does Ron Paul need to speak MORE about Gun Rights?

DeadheadForPaul
08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Today in the Ron Paul Grassroots paltalk room, a few of us were talking when a random person popped in, as they usually do

He was a concerned gun owner and claimed that he heard Dr. Paul speak in Ames and that Paul DID NOT address gun rights well. He claimed that Dr. Paul said "he supported everything in the Constitution"

Now, all of us know that this includes gun rights, but apparently ths dude needs to be told straight up "I PROTECT GUN RIGHTS". Maybe we as supporters and Dr. Paul as a candidate need to address this more

Thought this was important to bring up

akovacs
08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I've found that most gun hobbyists already know about Paul, and are already supportive. If you can't convince him, someone at a range or shop will.

If you want to be safe though, I'm sure there's plenty of his writing that will put his mind at ease. It's in writing and pretty clear.

noxagol
08-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Just mention he has an A+ rating by the GOA and have them go to the GOA website.

derdy
08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Not sure where in Ames he heard Ron speak, but during his main speech he did mention that if we had more respect for the 2nd Amendment, perhaps 9/11 wouldn't of happened. Can't remember for sure, but I think he continued on for a few more seconds regarding this.

I know the NRA won't give him an 'A' rating and members of my local meetups got into it with the NRA representative during the National Federation of Republican Assemblies Straw Poll in MO due to the fact the NRA gives Ron a "C" rating because he is unwilling to compromise on gun control legislation. :rolleyes:

Wish I would've known that before I joined the NRA two months prior.

mrchubbs
08-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Just mention he has an A+ rating by the GOA and have them go to the GOA website.

Yes... we tried all of that but he insisted that he needed to hear the words from Ron Paul's mouth to his own ears. I guess some people are just harder to convince.

fletcher
08-22-2007, 11:43 PM
I think he should talk about gun rights more. Usually he only spends a minute or less on the issue. It is a very important issue to a lot of Republicans, and even some Democrats. In Iowa he should have talked for at least a few minutes about it, and not in the 9/11 context. Yes, he needs to just come out and say "I am the most pro-gun candidate. I will not comprise your second amendment rights at all." People need to hear it. Seeing both Romney and Giuliani are gun grabbers it is another winning issue for him.

ctb619
08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes... we tried all of that but he insisted that he needed to hear the words from Ron Paul's mouth to his own ears. I guess some people are just harder to convince.

I'm not sure I understand, does he need to hear these statements live? Because you can look up hundreds of statements from RP supporting our right to keep and bear arms, he's not keeping his stance a secret.

specsaregood
08-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Attend and distribute any information at local gunshows. I got a great response at the gun show I attended last week.

Open with, "In 20 years in congress, Ron Paul has NEVER voted for any federal restriction on gun ownership" That will get their attention.

Edit: going to local gun stores is a good idea too.

tmg19103
08-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm bigtime pro-gun, but when you look down the polling that has been done of Dems and even Republicans, issues like terrorism, the war in Iraq, the economy, right to life, the environment, gay marriage and other issues are all ahead of gun rights.

While I wish it where spoken about more, politically it is something that both parties tend to shy away from in national debate - and it is not high on the list of issues most American's find extremely important, though more than a few gun owners are one issue voters - and that issue is gun rights. The Dems realized gun control was a loser in the 90's, but there are still a lot of anti-gun people out there so Republicans don't wan't to play up the pro-gun stance too much.

Iowa is a pro-gun state, and while RP's 2A message was not well delivered or worded from an understanding standpoint in his Ames speech, I was actually kind of surprised how much he drove it home. I figured he would give it a simple statment of support. So I think he went the extra mile, but it is really not an issue the candidates want to touch much.

In the YouTube Dem debate the question by the guy with the AR was tip toed around until Biden lost all respect and support when he attacked the gun owner.

Don't expect it to be a major campaign issue, but realize RP is by far the most pro-gun candidate out there - and anybody who shoots or hunts and happens to talk to other gun owners at the range or in the field knows this.

I first found out about RP years ago on a gun forum. Knew nothing about him until three months ago - except that he was pro-gun. The fact that RP is pro-gun is only a fraction of the reason I support him now.

Edit: I agree target marketing gun shows and gun shops is a great idea. I'm hitting up a gun show with RP literature this weekend. I'll be in heaven - supporting RP while stocking up on ammo and perhaps a new handgun.