PDA

View Full Version : Are we allowed to impeach people for introducing unconstitutional bills?

Knightskye
05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
If we can, that would be helpful.

Let's start with James Sensenbrenner (http://sensenbrenner.house.gov/) - introduced H.R. 418 (REAL ID).

We can have Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress, running for Senate, but I think it would be helpful to send the neocons out of office.

ScottA
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Seems like we ought to be able to do this. What was it that happened to the governor of California?

Who was responsible for starting that process?

Knightskye
05-09-2008, 02:19 AM
In my state, at least, the Assembly has control over impeachment. So I'd need a majority of Assemblymen/women to vote to impeach say, Bob Menendez (first NJ senator I thought of - not that he introduced any unconstitutional legislation - that I've thought of).

ItsTime
05-09-2008, 04:36 AM
Its not unconstitutional until its law right? Freedom of speech and all that.

Truth Warrior
05-09-2008, 05:00 AM
It's not unconstitutional until the Supreme Court rules that it is.

idiom
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
It may or may not be possible to impeach a Congressman or Senator. You do not need a good reason, just a vote (super majority) and a ruling from the supreme court about jurisdiction.

Recall is also unavailable.

From Wiki:

Officials subject to impeachment
The central question regarding the Constitutional dispute about the impeachment of members of the legislature is this: Are members of Congress "officers" of the United States? The Constitution grants to the House the power to impeach "The President, the Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States." [5] Many believe firmly that Members of Congress are not "officers of the United States." [6]. Others, however, believe that Members are civil Officers and are subject to impeachment.

The House of Representatives did impeach a Senator once[7], Senator William Blount. The senate expelled Senator Blount and, after initially hearing his impeachment, dismissed the charges for lack of jurisdiction[8]. Left unsettled was the question "Are members of Congress civil officers of the United States?" The House has never impeached a Member of Congress after Blount and, as each House has the authority to expel their own members—without involving the other chamber; expulsion has been the method used for removing Members of Congress.

If you could impeach Reps, then yeah you could impeach them for trolling dumb bills.

Knightskye
05-11-2008, 08:46 PM
and a ruling from the supreme court about jurisdiction.

Are people allowed to ask the Supreme Court for their advice, do we have to wait until they make a ruling, or do we just bring a case before them? :cool: (I'm not judicially knowledgeable).

demolama
05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
It's not unconstitutional until the Supreme Court rules that it is.

only because they ruled for themselves this power... we can thank Marshall in Marbury v. Madison for that

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

pinkmandy
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Are people allowed to ask the Supreme Court for their advice, do we have to wait until they make a ruling, or do we just bring a case before them? :cool: (I'm not judicially knowledgeable).

You have to bring a case but first you must exhaust local and state courts. You just keep appealing until you get to the Supreme Court but lucky them- they then choose whether or not they want to hear your case.