PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Police beating

brandon
05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Have you guys seen this video from the city of brotherly love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2myV0b9LE7I

I'm not sure what I think about it.

phixion
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
It was likely justified, even if it's not in the code book. I couldn't careless, really.

Pete

brandon
05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
It was likely justified,
Pete

I tend to agree, but I dont want police thinking they can just beat up anyone like that. These criminals were shooting guns at people on the street, so they likely deserved the beating they got. I just hope we dont see police beating up people like this over something like a drug deal.

drew1503
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
How can you say that was justified? They said they were witnessed involved in a shooting and no gun was found? No man or woman deserves a beating like that, period. How can you stand for the constitution and against torture and let this happen? You are innocent till proven guilty in this country and the police beat people like us all the time protesting and holding signs all the time. It is in the paper every day.

brandon
05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
How can you say that was justified? They said they were witnessed involved in a shooting and no gun was found? No man or woman deserves a beating like that, period. How can you stand for the constitution and against torture and let this happen? You are innocent till proven guilty in this country and the police beat people like us all the time protesting and holding signs all the time. It is in the paper every day.

I know...but you have to understand where I am coming from. I live in a bad area of philadelphia. People are terrible around here. Everyone is violent, cops get shot every day, I get threatened a couple times a week for no reason.

Bottomline, there is a terrible crime problem here. Three men in a car had guns, shot them at some people on the street, and then fled from the cops. When the cops finally stopped them, they had no idea if these people were going to open fire on the cops or not. The police over reacted, that's for sure. But I don't totally blame them.

I'm sure it is hard for you to relate, living somewhere as nice as orange county.

yongrel
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I stopped paying attention to police brutality cases, since more often than not they're just one group being alarmist and melodramatic in order to push some sort of agenda.

Mesogen
05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
What would the agenda be in this case?

sratiug
05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Yep, Philly is a rough town. No wonder when the "good" guys drag people out of cars and beat them like dogs.

drew1503
05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Don't judge Orange County from the TV shows, look up our sheriff and what is going on. The point is the police if they get away with beating a gangmenber they think they can beat you, what if these guys are innocent, then what? The police did not actually witness anything. I have been the victim of police beating as well as had charges of DUI against me, I don't drink and beat them in court but they got my car for 30 days and that cost a bit and took a long time to get reimbursement from the county. I am sure where you are is not as nice but think why these people steal and commit crimes, the same reasons you are a Ron Paul supporter. There will always be bad apples in society and should be punished accordingly and if they are not we have created a two tier system, which we already have. Oh and no worries if I came across harsh, not looking to argue. we all want the same thing.

benny215
05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
officers beating down some gangbangers on a killing spree is the least of this city's problems imo

Anti Federalist
05-10-2008, 04:14 AM
I wasn't going to comment, there's little point, when people around here, of all places and who should damn well know better, justify this.

One set of gang bangers whomping up on another set of gang bangers.

So get used to this. People are going to go batshit feral as things fall apart.

The system will respond in kind.

Welcome to Amerika.

Rome truly is burning...

pcosmar
05-10-2008, 04:44 AM
I am so sick of the corruption , incompetence, and outright criminal actions of "Law Enforcement" that I can NO LONGER give them the benefit of doubt.
Especially in the last few years that I have been paying attention.

I would take the word of a gang banger or crack Whore over a police officer today.
They earn NO respect.
That is sad, and it should not be.
Until I see LEO's acting to protect Citizens Constitutional Rights, anyone in that uniform is the enemy of Liberty.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2008, 05:05 AM
I am so sick of the corruption , incompetence, and outright criminal actions of "Law Enforcement" that I can NO LONGER give them the benefit of doubt.
Especially in the last few years that I have been paying attention.

I would take the word of a gang banger or crack Whore over a police officer today.
They earn NO respect.
That is sad, and it should not be.
Until I see LEO's acting to protect Citizens Constitutional Rights, anyone in that uniform is the enemy of Liberty.

My wife and I were talking this over just the other day.

It is sad and should not be, but so much is as it should not be anymore.

But it is fact.

If self preservation is an instinct you posess, you had damn well better approach any contact with any LEO, at any level for any reason as you would a tense mafia "sit down" surrounded by the likes of John Gotti, Whitey Bulger or Tony Soprano.

Meaning that every word and nuance will be anaylized and scrutinized for weakness, fear or guilt, and that your life may end at any second, for any number of reasons or no reason at all, and no justice will ever be served for it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-10-2008, 05:52 AM
My wife and I were talking this over just the other day.

It is sad and should not be, but so much is as it should not be anymore.

But it is fact.

If self preservation is an instinct you posess, you had damn well better approach any contact with any LEO, at any level for any reason as you would a tense mafia "sit down" surrounded by the likes of John Gotti, Whitey Bulger or Tony Soprano.

Meaning that every word and nuance will be anaylized and scrutinized for weakness, fear or guilt, and that your life may end at any second, for any number of reasons or no reason at all, and no justice will ever be served for it.

Sure, but don't be afraid. That fits in the "weakness" category for those types.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Sure, but don't be afraid. That fits in the "weakness" category for those types.

Yes, exactly.

Everybody needs to watch this:

http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

Kalifornia
05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
To those of you who either defend the action of the police or say you dont care...

Please remember those words when you are the one with a boot on your neck.

We want a restrained and responsible police force, not to protect the violent criminals who undoubtedly exist in any society, but to protect the average innocent person (or person who is 'guilty' of a bs 'crime" created by insane legislators) who also inevitably get ensnared in .gov's nets as well.

Once a cop gets used to having free reign to treat his suspects with disrespect and violence, what motivation does he have to respect YOU?

inibo
05-10-2008, 07:12 AM
One of my favorite pro-liberty bloggers has a very good write up on this incident.
http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2008/05/one-of-these-things-is-just-like-other.html

Anti Federalist
05-10-2008, 07:38 AM
One of my favorite pro-liberty bloggers has a very good write up on this incident.
http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/2008/05/one-of-these-things-is-just-like-other.html

I've been a fan of Grigg's for a long time myself.

From the blog:

Every government, pared to its irreducible essence, is an armed gang with a territorial monopoly on "legitimate" force. In the "war on crime" that began decades ago under Nixon, police agencies across the country frequently behave as if their priority is to beat back competition from rival gangs, while keeping the public properly subdued.

Kalifornia
05-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, exactly.

Everybody needs to watch this:

http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

Thanks for that link. As a JD (but not an attorney, so nothing here is legal advice), I can say that I agree with everything in that lecture. I have often thought about teaching seminars pro bono on the bill of rights so that people do the right things at the right time.

I am with Professor Duane. Never talk to .gov. In fact, most of you should be careful about what you type here as well. Anything you say EVER can be used against you, so long as it is relevant, or can impeach you.