PDA

View Full Version : NYT - Marines ignore Taliban cash crop to not upset Afghan locals

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Um yeah. This makes sense. Even though the Taliban is funding their so-called terrorism and using the proceeds from their opium crops to purchase weapons to kill our military personel, we don't want to destroy the opium because we don't want to upset the locals. Forget that we blew to smithereens much of the infastructure of Iraq, destroying schools, their water supply, their bridges, their communications, etc., etc., etc., murdered 100's of thousands of innocent men, woman and children, poisoned their enviroment with uranium that will cause birth defects for decades to come with both the Iraqi's and the people of our military, caused the dispalcement of millions of innocent Iraqi's forced to flee their country all because of the lies about weapons of mass destruction they didn't have.

But we sure don't want to upset the Afghanistan locals by destroying the opium fields :rolleyes:.

For all of the sleepy heads on this forum...here is a clue to the real reason we don't want to destroy the opium fields. It is one of the many sources of income for the criminals in charge. Turn off the lamestream media.

Marines ignore Taliban cash crop to not upset Afghan locals

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Marines-in-Poppies.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Published: May 6, 2008

ARMSER, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Marines of Bravo Company's 1st Platoon sleep beside a grove of poppies. Troops in the 2nd Platoon playfully swat at the heavy opium bulbs while walking through the fields. Afghan laborers scraping the plant's gooey resin smile and wave.

Last week, the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit moved into southern Helmand province, the world's largest opium poppy-growing region, and now find themselves surrounded by green fields of the illegal plants that produce the main ingredient of heroin.

The Taliban, whose fighters are exchanging daily fire with the Marines in Garmser, derives up to $100 million a year from the poppy harvest by taxing farmers and charging safe passage fees -- money that will buy weapons for use against U.S., NATO and Afghan troops.

Yet the Marines are not destroying the plants. In fact, they are reassuring villagers the poppies won't be touched. American commanders say the Marines would only alienate people and drive them to take up arms if they eliminated the impoverished Afghans' only source of income.

Many Marines in the field are scratching their heads over the situation.

''It's kind of weird. We're coming over here to fight the Taliban. We see this. We know it's bad. But at the same time we know it's the only way locals can make money,'' said 1st Lt. Adam Lynch, 27, of Barnstable, Mass.

The Marines' battalion commander, Lt. Col. Anthony Henderson, said in an interview Tuesday that the poppy crop ''will come and go'' and that his troops can't focus on it when Taliban fighters around Garmser are ''terrorizing the people.''

''I think by focusing on the Taliban, the poppies will go away,'' said Henderson, a 41-year-old from Washington, D.C. He said once the militant fighters are forced out, the Afghan government can move in and offer alternatives.

An expert on Afghanistan's drug trade, Barnett Rubin, complained that the Marines are being put in such a situation by a ''one-dimensional'' military policy that fails to integrate political and economic considerations into long-range planning.

''All we hear is, not enough troops, send more troops,'' said Rubin, a professor at New York University. ''Then you send in troops with no capacity for assistance, no capacity for development, no capacity for aid, no capacity for governance.''

Most of the 33,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan operate in the east, where the poppy problem is not as great. But the 2,400-strong 24th Marines, have taken the field in this southern growing region during harvest season.

In the poppy fields 100 feet from the 2nd Platoon's headquarters, three Afghan brothers scraped opium resin over the weekend. The youngest, 23-year-old Sardar, said his family would earn little money from the harvest.

''We receive money from the shopkeepers, then they will sell it,'' said Sardar, who was afraid to give his last name. ''We don't have enough money to buy flour for our families. The smugglers make the money,'' added Sardar, who worked alongside his 11-year-old son just 20 yards from a Marine guard post, its guns pointed across the field.

Afghanistan supplies some 93 percent of the world's opium used to make heroin, and the Taliban militants earn up to $100 million from the drug trade, the United Nations estimates. The export value of this harvest was $4 billion -- more than a third of the country's combined gross domestic product.

Though they aren't eradicating poppies, the Marines presence could still have a positive effect. Henderson said the drug supply lines have been disrupted at a crucial point in the harvest. And Marine commanders are debating staying in Garmser longer than originally planned.

Second Lt. Mark Greenlief, 24, a Monmouth, Ill., native who commands the 2nd Platoon, said he originally wanted to make a helicopter landing zone in Sardar's field. ''But as you can see that would ruin their poppy field, and we didn't want to ruin their livelihood.''

Sardar ''basically said, 'This is my livelihood, I have to do what I can to protect that,''' said Greenlief. ''I told him we're not here to eradicate.''

The Taliban told Garmser residents that the Marines were moving in to eradicate, hoping to encourage the villagers to rise up against the Americans, said 2nd Lt. Brandon Barrett, 25, of Marion, Ind., commander of the 1st Platoon.

In the next field over from Sardar's, Khan Mohammad, an Afghan born in Helmand province who lives in Pakistan and came to work the fields, said he makes only $2 a day. He said the work is dangerous now that Taliban militants are shooting at the U.S. positions.

''We're stuck in the middle,'' he said. ''If we go over there those guys will fire at us. If we come here, we're in danger, too, but we have to work,'' said the 54-year-old Mohammad, who supports a family of 10.

An even older laborer, his back bent by years of work, came over and told the small gathering of Afghans, Marines and journalists that the laborers had to get back to work ''or the boss will get mad at us.''

Staff Sgt. Jeremy Stover, whose platoon is sleeping beside a poppy crop planted in the interior courtyard of a mud-walled compound, said the Marines' mission is to get rid of the ''bad guys,'' and ''the locals aren't the bad guys.''

''Poppy fields in Afghanistan are the cornfields of Ohio,'' said Stover, 28, of Marion, Ohio. ''When we got here they were asking us if it's OK to harvest poppy and we said, 'Yeah, just don't use an AK-47.'''

Bruno
05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Wish they would use that same logic and ignore America's biggest cash crop, Cannibis, so as not to upset the locals. :)

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Wish they would use that same logic and ignore America's biggest cash crop, Cannibis, so as not to upset the locals. :)

Yeah. Doesn't make sense does it? Well, after you clear all the smoke and mirrors about pot, the real reason it isnt legal is because any Tom, Dick, or Harry could grow it in their back yard. That would mean it would no longer be a cash crop for the criminals in charge. The only war on drugs going on is to eliminate the competition.

We have all been such idiots for so long! No wonder they think we are sheep to be sheared.

yongrel
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I don't think ignoring opium production in Afghanistan is a bad move at all. If the farmers are able to provide for themselves (and opium is the only crop that allows them to anymore) it makes it far more difficult for the Taliban to gain influence with money.

People won't go against their conscience for money if they aren't desperate for food.

amy31416
05-08-2008, 09:24 AM
We "allow" India to produce opium, why not Afghanistan? Shit, I'd be growing opium if I were an Afghani, that's the only way to make a living anymore.

The only difference is that since we legislate opium in India, it's legal and is the precursor to controlled substances like morphine. Since it's not controlled in Afghanistan, it's made into street drugs. India's economy is far better than Afghanistan's, why wouldn't we switch over to using Afghani opium to make morphine and other controlled drugs here?

We just want to keep Afghanistan in turmoil, it seems.

jmdrake
05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Maybe I'm misreading you, but I don't think ignoring opium production in Afghanistan is a bad move at all. If the farmers are able to provide for themselves (and opium is the only crop that allows them to anymore) it makes it far more difficult for the Taliban to gain influence with money.

People won't go against their conscience for money if they aren't desperate for food.

Maybe you're misreading the article. The Taliban isn't gaining influence with money. The Taliban is GETTING MONEY from their influence. (The influence is coming from the barrel of a gun.) And who says these people are going against conscience? Just because we don't like the Taliban doesn't mean all of them do. The bottom line is this show how stupid our war policy has been from the jump. Supposedly the Taliban were protecting the AQ terrorists so we invaded Afghanistan and half finished the job then went into Iraq because.............? The Taliban have been given sanctuary by our "allies" in Pakistan (even the "new improved" Pakistani government is cutting deals with the Taliban) and our governments incompetence has let them regain a foothold in Afghanistan.

Anyway, nothing surprises me anymore. Especially considering that the same CIA planes that have been flying "illegal combatants" around the world to be tortured also was carrying cocaine.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/12/12/19210/608/933/420107

Regards,

John M. Drake

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes Yongrel. It makes total sense for our Government to apply that logic when it comes to the opium fields that are funding the "terrorists". I mean blowing up the infrastructure of a country and killing 100's of thousands of innocent men, woman and children is far less benign and not likely to piss off any locals.

Thanks for the laugh though :D.

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Anyway, nothing surprises me anymore. Especially considering that the same CIA planes that have been flying "illegal combatants" around the world to be tortured also was carrying cocaine.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/12/12/19210/608/933/420107

Regards,

John M. Drake

To be fair Drake, I hear there is a transcript somewhere that the cocaine admitted that it snuck aboard the plane to hitch a ride. Luckily, we tortured the confession out of them.

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 09:39 AM
why wouldn't we switch over to using Afghani opium to make morphine and other controlled drugs here?

Because our criminals in charge are too busy selling it as illegal street drugs. They make more money off of it.

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, we alienate half of South America moving in on their sovereignty over kola leaves yet let the Taliban grow all the poppies it wants. Why not? Feh. Between the pharmaceuticals and the CIA, the "soma" issue never, never, ever gets reported at face value.

When those who can afford to bribe physicians can have all the antidepressants they want but those who can't afford that and grow rope instead turn our prison system into a monstrosity, how can you deny that there's class warfare involved? And as for whether or not the CIA has funded itself with cocaine traffic, well, if you can deny it you're really, really not paying attention. And between the Taliban's visit to Texas years ago and G.H.W. Bushes status as Chief Emeritus of the CIA, I really can't see this "oversight" as anything but tacit approval of the Taliban by the CIA.

Because we all know the government hates actual competiton...

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, we alienate half of South America moving in on their sovereignty over kola leaves yet let the Taliban grow all the poppies it wants. Why not? Feh. Between the pharmaceuticals and the CIA, the "soma" issue never, never, ever gets reported at face value.

When those who can afford to bribe physicians can have all the antidepressants they want but those who can't afford that and grow rope instead turn our prison system into a monstrosity, how can you deny that there's class warfare involved? And as for whether or not the CIA has funded itself with cocaine traffic, well, if you can deny it you're really, really not paying attention. And between the Taliban's visit to Texas years ago and G.H.W. Bushes status as Chief Emeritus of the CIA, I really can't see this "oversight" as anything but tacit approval of the Taliban by the CIA.

Because we all know the government hates actual competiton...

How quickly people forget. Though the Iran-Contra scandal was just the tip of the iceberg and, as usual, nothing but a dog and pony show, they chose to gloss over the part about the drug smuggling and concentrate on the U.S. selling illegal weapons to Iran (ironic eh?) using Isreal as our broker.

Of course George Bush Sr. pardoned the patsies who cooridinated his drug/weapon running operations. It makes me sick to see Oliver North being a frequent commentator on lamestream media now. I mean come on! Illegal drug running and illegal weapons sales and he is allowed to give his expert commentary on the war in Iraq? He should be in prison, not a talking head.

pcosmar
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
This whole thing is a screwed up story full of false asumptions.
First, The Taliban had actually cut and outlawed Opium production when they were in power.
They were opposed to drugs for religous reasons.
http://opioids.com/afghanistan/index.html

JALALABAD, Afghanistan (February 15, 2001 8:19 p.m. EST

U.N. drug control officers said the Taliban religious militia has nearly wiped out opium production in Afghanistan -- once the world's largest producer -- since banning poppy cultivation last summer.

A 12-member team from the U.N. Drug Control Program spent two weeks searching most of the nation's largest opium-producing areas and found so few poppies that they do not expect any opium to come out of Afghanistan this year.
Since the Taliban were overthrown, Opium production has returned as a cash crop.
http://opioids.com/afghanistan/opium-economy.html

Can you say unintended consequences.

Bruno
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
First, The Taliban had actually cut and outlawed Opium production when they were in power.

Since the Taliban were overthrown, Opium production has returned as a cash crop.

+1000 Poppies

And now, under our watch and due to the blowback of our occupation and interruption of the political system, opium production is at an all-time high, after breaking last year's previous record. For better or worse, we have succeeded in putting more Heroin on the streets of the world.

As referred to earlier, the U.S. always has allowed some friendly countries to grow Opium for us, and others to not. Of course everyone does, and this creates more cartels all over the world because of the huge profits.

Every opiate drug has to come from poppies (,morphine, codeine, thebaine, and Papaverine. Noscapine, all the "ines" and "ates" basically) which is the dirty little secret -It is OK for the U.S. Government to sanction opium production for drug companies to make drugs to sell to you, but it is illegal for you to grow them in your back yard if your intent is to smoke them as medicine. Ah, the irony.

The whole history of the Opium Wars, which continues literally to this day as referred to in the OP, is quite a read.

When my father was dying of leukemia and tumors, he was in the most excrutiating pain of his life. They gave him double-doses of morphine patches, but it wasn't helping. On his death bed, I wish my father could have had the best pain medicine known to man, Heroin, which was invented by Bayer Corp as the ultimate painkiller and legal for decades. If it would have eased his pain, it would have been worth it. He wasn't going to need to worry about addiction, because he wasn't going to be around that long.

He just needed relief from his pain.

The genie is out of the bottle. Pandora's box has been opened. Drugs are best controlled as a overall health and wellness issue, and not a criminal issue. It takes one of the most personal choices - putting substances of your choice into your own body for your own reasons - and puts that decision into the hands of the government enforced by the police state.

Conza88
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Why the hell would they destroy their own crop? :rolleyes:
CIA has to fly it back to the US before they sell it anyway.
Noone over there is buying, they're surviving.

jmdrake
05-08-2008, 11:02 AM

With all of the evidence of government run drug smuggling I can't say with 100% certainty that the consequences were unintended.

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
With all of the evidence of government run drug smuggling I can't say with 100% certainty that the consequences were unintended.

Ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner!

Conza88
05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Ding, ding, ding. And we have a winner!

I lost :(

:D

PatriotOne
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I lost :(

:D

Hahaha...cracked me up. Your's was a winner also. I just like to stress to people the "intentional" buzz word. It frustrates me that people blame things on "stupidity" all the time. Once a person gets the "intentional" part, they have evolved intellectually by 1000 years and becomes an asset as opposed to part of the problem. I liked Drakes "intentional" buzz word :)