PDA

View Full Version : Okay..I'm so confused. Should we come out of the closet?

wgadget
05-08-2008, 06:50 AM
GA will be having their state convention two Saturdays from now. After being pretty much routed by the opposition (outnumbered) in the district conventions, we have decided to come out and wear our Ron Paul colors at state.

But from reading the advice here from those who have already participated in their state conventions, I get the feeling that coming out will not be effective, either.

What's the truth here? We realize the trick is to get out the vote, but other than that, cognito or incognito?

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I feel there's room for both. You have to be cognito to plead our case, and some can yet be won over (more all the time, and this includes delegates). On the other hand, being incognito can keep one from being routed.

I think both serve a purpose. But, of course, being incognito only serve a purposes until the time comes to act.

Bruno
05-08-2008, 07:00 AM
I feel there's room for both. You have to be cognito to plead our case, and some can yet be won over (more all the time, and this includes delegates). On the other hand, being incognito can keep one from being routed.

I think both serve a purpose. But, of course, being incognito only serve a purposes until the time comes to act.

Good plan. And VOTE OUT THE CHAIR IMMEDIATELY and vote in a Paul-friendly chairman. This could do well to avoid the issues seen in NV and other states.

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Good plan. And VOTE OUT THE CHAIR IMMEDIATELY and vote in a Paul-friendly chairman. This could do well to avoid the issues seen in NV and other states.

Well, we tried to do that in Oklahoma and we failed, we alienated people for no good reason at all, and the chair we tried to defeat treated us pretty decently anyway. This is something to seriously consider, but not doing it is also something to seriously consider. A crooked and ruthless chair can kill you, yes, but trying to deny a person of good conscience can prevent you from attracting allies in the floor votes, too. Do consider it, but think it all the way through.

Bruno
05-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Well, we tried to do that in Oklahoma and we failed, we alienated people for no good reason at all, and the chair we tried to defeat treated us pretty decently anyway. This is something to seriously consider, but not doing it is also something to seriously consider. A crooked and ruthless chair can kill you, yes, but trying to deny a person of good conscience can prevent you from attracting allies in the floor votes, too. Do consider it, but think it all the way through.

Thank you for the voice of reason. I get a little worked up sometimes when freedom is hijacked. :)

Ninja Homer
05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
I don't know GA's rules.

If you're severely outnumbered, I'd go incognito.

If you have more than enough for a full slate, you could go Mission Impossible style and set up a full slate of "Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty" (or whatever best fits your area) delegates, and then set up a small slate of Ron Paul delegates to take the fall. To pull it off, all RP supporters have to know to vote for the Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty slate. Put your oldest RP supporters in the Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty slate, and the youngest in the Ron Paul slate to make it more believable.

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 07:13 AM
If you have more than enough for a full slate, you could go Mission Impossible style and set up a full slate of "Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty" (or whatever best fits your area) delegates, and then set up a small slate of Ron Paul delegates to take the fall. To pull it off, all RP supporters have to know to vote for the Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty slate. Put your oldest RP supporters in the Pro-Life, Pro-Liberty slate, and the youngest in the Ron Paul slate to make it more believable.

Wish we'd thought of that in Oklahoma (not sure we had enough to do it anyway). Damned good idea.

rodo1776
05-08-2008, 07:17 AM
If you don't have the votes why try to kick out the chair when you know that you will lose?
Serves no purpose.

If you put together a "slate" which is the exact number of people that equals the number of National Delegates which I believe is 30 at large delegates selected based on rules I read then that is your best chance.

Have only 30 run and all RP delegates need to know the list so they know who to vote for.
Keep your block of votes together.

It looks like the rules require the delegates to be bound for the first two ballots?

So it may be allowed to run uncommitted which means that you could vote for RP at the national convention if you could get a person elected (Or of course they could win as RP committed candidates as well).

Your best bet though would be to go stealth and uncommitted and hope that there is huge number of people running and that you slip in a few with your base support and picking up a few more votes from non RP people.
That assumes there is one ballot and that the top 30 win.

rodo1776
05-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Sorry Ninja you covered it well before I posted.

Ninja Homer
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Wish we'd thought of that in Oklahoma (not sure we had enough to do it anyway). Damned good idea.

Yeah, I think that came out of the Louisiana fiasco, except it was pulled on RP supporters.

It may not be as effective now that there are only 2 people left running. If confronted, they could say something like, "We know John McCain has the nomination, but we want to make sure he stays on track with pro-life, pro-liberty, and pro-national defense stances." Edit it to fit the voter pool, of course.

rodo: no problem, you covered some stuff that I didn't.

Rhys
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Hiding wont help us get the word out

Matt Davidson
05-08-2008, 07:46 AM
You MUST go incognito. Our goal at these state conventions is not to "get the word out." If you want to get the word out, wait until after you win. Go in there and talk about real conservative values AND winning the war on terror. Don't even mention RP. Throw in some stuff about the sanctity of marriage WHATEVER IT TAKES PEOPLE! GET YOURSELVES TO THE NATIONAL CONVENTION AT ALL COSTS. The real magic will happen there. You will succeed if you go incognito, and you have no hope otherwise.

Please call me (617) 378-5431! I can help you! I have seen this work first hand.

Matt

pinkmandy
05-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Dress nice. Go as a conservative and stand up for the Constitution. It's a Republican convention, not a John McCrazy convention. You have as much right to be there as anyone else.

UtahApocalypse
05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
GA will be having their state convention two Saturdays from now. After being pretty much routed by the opposition (outnumbered) in the district conventions, we have decided to come out and wear our Ron Paul colors at state.

But from reading the advice here from those who have already participated in their state conventions, I get the feeling that coming out will not be effective, either.

What's the truth here? We realize the trick is to get out the vote, but other than that, cognito or incognito?

Our plan here in Utah should work well everywhere..... People that are delegates, and running for positions will be dressed in standard conservative clothing. They will keep a low profile and try to be under the neo-con radar.

Meanwhile, those of us that are not in a official capacity will attend fully Ron Paul decked out. We will be giving out literature, answering questions, and letting everyone know that we are still continuing and growing.

This plan gives the best of both, our delegates are able to work for getting votes without being shunned ad Ron Paulites. We also still will spread the message, and plant the seeds in minds not yet converted.

Conza88
05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
You MUST go incognito. Our goal at these state conventions is not to "get the word out." If you want to get the word out, wait until after you win. Go in there and talk about real conservative values AND winning the war on terror. Don't even mention RP. Throw in some stuff about the sanctity of marriage WHATEVER IT TAKES PEOPLE! GET YOURSELVES TO THE NATIONAL CONVENTION AT ALL COSTS. The real magic will happen there. You will succeed if you go incognito, and you have no hope otherwise.

Please call me (617) 378-5431! I can help you! I have seen this work first hand.

Matt

Ok, that is ftw totally. But I can't help my cynicism... if anyone calls, don't go naming all the people who plan to go incognito or anything like that... LOL. Ok..?

I apologize if its totally legit, it's just with McCain people calling up pretending to be the local Convention... asking 3 questions.. to gauge if you are a RP supporter before the convention... I get suss about stuff pretty easily.

liberteebell
05-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Our plan here in Utah should work well everywhere..... People that are delegates, and running for positions will be dressed in standard conservative clothing. They will keep a low profile and try to be under the neo-con radar.

Meanwhile, those of us that are not in a official capacity will attend fully Ron Paul decked out. We will be giving out literature, answering questions, and letting everyone know that we are still continuing and growing.

This plan gives the best of both, our delegates are able to work for getting votes without being shunned ad Ron Paulites. We also still will spread the message, and plant the seeds in minds not yet converted.

This makes a lot of sense although those running for positions should act like they don't know the Ron Paul peeps. :( Sad, but they'll use anything against us, including the way we dress. Believe me, the "party faithfuls" have been told about us and around here, they're even checking our meetup board to see if we're "republican" enough to even join the city/county committees.

At my district convention last Saturday, all was going well until someone brought in a r3VOLution banner and one of our delegate candidates gave a speech on Ron Paul, the Patriot Act, etc. Then, the tide turned against us; we were accused of all kinds of misbehaviour and one guy who spoke told us that we were in the wrong party.

I would suggest conservative business attire, even if you wind up being the most overdressed in attendance, and I would suggest any speeches to be tied to the principles of the party and not the candidates themselves.

hopeforamerica
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
We are out numbered in AZ. We are going under the radar. I'll let you know how it goes after this Saturday.

robert4rp08
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
incognito. get elected.

hopeforamerica
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Hiding wont help us get the word out

This is not the place to get the word out, but to win some slots. Time and place for everything.

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 10:41 AM
This is not the place to get the word out, but to win some slots. Time and place for everything.

Well, if you're found out and called out, just tell them, "Ronald Reagan said we need to keep Ron Paul fighting for America. I wholeheartedly agree with Ronald Reagan. You're persecuting me for that?"

hopeforamerica
05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, if you're found out and called out, just tell them, "Ronald Reagan said we need to keep Ron Paul fighting for America. I wholeheartedly agree with Ronald Reagan. You're persecuting me for that?"

Yep, great stuff! I'm nervous and excited for the convention. They are in a frenzy at republican headquarters wondering what we are up to.

wgadget
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Yep, great stuff! I'm nervous and excited for the convention. They are in a frenzy at republican headquarters wondering what we are up to.

bump for participation

Conza88
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Ok question; has anyone got any recording equipment? Set up a video cam in the rafters on a stand.. carry a remote for it.. lol.

Or someone with a tape recorder, put it under the speakers table, taped... (good tape, don't want it falling down during a speech now... LOL) :D

Maybe, make the point of them knowing you have equipment... make them think twice... as they're be proof.

Have one guy be like a potential fall guy, blatant with it.. and if they get him kicked out, record that.. hehe

History in the making. Remember that. :D

Tronchaser
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM

I think this is exactly what happened to our "Liberty-Values Coalition"... It gave people a bad taste right from the get-go. *sigh* That was a long day of defeat... I'm glad we got James Dunn in there though, even if he isn't an RP. Right now, someone who isn't afraid to include us is a small victory. I'm not going away, and neither are all of us Cleveland County people. I don't think they know that yet. :p

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think they know that yet. :p

I think they have their fingers crossed. But, no we aren't going anywhere!

liberteebell
05-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I think this is exactly what happened to our "Liberty-Values Coalition"... It gave people a bad taste right from the get-go. *sigh* That was a long day of defeat... I'm glad we got James Dunn in there though, even if he isn't an RP. Right now, someone who isn't afraid to include us is a small victory. I'm not going away, and neither are all of us Cleveland County people. I don't think they know that yet. :p

Heh, that's what happened in my district; the challenger for the chairmanship won in part, by asking for and receiving our help and support; he could see our excitement and our desire to return the party to its roots. While he's not an out-and-out RP guy, he's already talked to at least 3 of us about taking committee slots and he WANTS us to stay. :D:cool::D

On the surface, it appears to be only a small victory but we're having all these small victories all over the country. And when we really DO stick around and show them what we're made of...(even though I'd like to tell them where to shove it...:eek:)

Joseph Hart
05-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Ill come out with my colors!