PDA

View Full Version : How much does Paul profit from his book?

brandon
05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
How much money does someone generally make when they write a NYT Best seller? Think he made $500,000? Or a million? or 5 million?

newyearsrevolution08
05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Whatever he has made so far is nothing compared to how much he will be making once we get the revolution by mail going. There are so many people wanting to get this book to everyone they know so I see this book being #1 for sometime AND with that would be an endless stream of profits for ron paul which he will odds are turn in for silver (-;

Smart man he is.

Jeremy
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
remember he said he was once paid like $2 an hour at a hospital?

:p

yongrel
05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Hopefully a lot.

NightOwl
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
How much money does someone generally make when they write a NYT Best seller? Think he made $500,000? Or a million? or 5 million?

Much less than you'd think, actually. Authors earn at most 15% per book, minus any commission to a literary agent. Right now the book appears to have sold in the tens of thousands, so he'd not be anywhere near those figures just yet.

We do know he couldn't have received an advance for the book, since House members are forbidden by ethics rules to receive book advances.

The One
05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I heard he was paid in cases of Fiji water.

yongrel
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/SiskoAnimated.gif
:D

The One
05-07-2008, 09:22 PM

RP wants our monetary system to be based on the Fiji water standard. Our currency needs something of value to back it up.

Conza88
05-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Lmfao @ both comments.:D

JMann
05-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm guessing he didn't get a 10 million dollar advance. He probably won't make a lot of money but I'm sure he will come out all right. The great thing about someone like Dr. Paul is if he makes only 100K from the book he will still have a nice portfolio to be sure.

Luft97
05-07-2008, 10:53 PM

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

rathskeller
05-08-2008, 02:29 AM
You also have to realize that that is not even 15% of the price that consumers pay for. (Which actually I think is more like 10% for a newcomer to the writing scene.) It is on the price that the publishers get for the sale of each book. So, if you pay $12, you have to realize that the retailer (or Amazon, etc.) paid a bit less than that, since they need to profit as well. I'd guess than $1 per copy sold is a fair estimate. And remember..an advance is just that. And advance. In other words, until his share reaches whatever he was paid to write it, he doesn't get anything else. So as of right now, he proabably hasn't made one dime off the actual sales of the book.

But as for that advance..there is NO WAY he got a $10 million advance. I mean, my god...Bill Clinton got about that much. And Tony Blair got $9 million. There is no way that Ron Paul would get anywhere near that much. If it was half a million I'd be shocked. I think that sometimes, some people have an EXTREMELY unrealistic view of the "salaries" or entertainers like writers, TV stars, etc.

But honestly...does it matter? He's got money. Although, hell..I think maybe he should use the profits from the book to start a new publishing company...not donations. (Though I have to say...I don't think that Ron Paul himself ever thought for one second about using the leftover donations for that purpose. He is too smart to do that. Unfortunately, many of hte people that he has working for him apparently are not.)

NightOwl
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm guessing he didn't get a 10 million dollar advance. He probably won't make a lot of money but I'm sure he will come out all right. The great thing about someone like Dr. Paul is if he makes only 100K from the book he will still have a nice portfolio to be sure.

Ethics rules prevent him from getting any kind of advance, ever since Newt Gingrich's ethics problems in the 1990s.

(Senators can get advances, but not representatives.)

NightOwl
05-08-2008, 07:43 AM
You also have to realize that that is not even 15% of the price that consumers pay for. (Which actually I think is more like 10% for a newcomer to the writing scene.)

That's actually not the case. Royalties are calculated based on the retail price.

Cinderella
05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
why does it matter how much he makes?? what he did for this movement is priceless!

westmich4paul
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I am really not getting the point of this thread? Does anybody in here truly believe Ron wrote this for money? I can with a 99.9% degree of certainty say that if he was given a wooden nickel for his royalty Ron still would have wrote this book. When I read the book I felt emotion in the pages, I truly believe what royalties Ron really wants out of this book it to just get people to wake up and smell the coffee as to what is being fed to them everyday and say we are mad as hell and we are not going to take it anymore!

idiom
05-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Technically if he gets money from this book, it is personal profit which he can opt to plough into his campaign.

One way to get around Feingold.

NEPA_Revolution
05-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I thought all the proceeds from this book went to grassroots.

runningdiz
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Who cares its none of our business and it was never said the profits would go to grassroots... where did you get that idea from?

idiom
05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Most of the proceeds are coming from the grassroots.

Kludge
05-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I am really not getting the point of this thread? Does anybody in here truly believe Ron wrote this for money? I can with a 99.9% degree of certainty say that if he was given a wooden nickel for his royalty Ron still would have wrote this book. When I read the book I felt emotion in the pages, I truly believe what royalties Ron really wants out of this book it to just get people to wake up and smell the coffee as to what is being fed to them everyday and say we are mad as hell and we are not going to take it anymore!

Curiosity and amount of incentive to buy the book I'd assume.

forsmant
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Ron Paul has written many books.

TruthAtLast
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM
does anyone have an estimate on how many Revolution books have sold and what the total first run print was?

kaleidoscope eyes
05-08-2008, 08:27 PM

And chocolate chip cookies!