PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticed several editing mistakes in the Revolution?

RCA
05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I noticed at least 5 errors while reading the book. I hope they correct them before the next printing.

RonPaulVolunteer
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
There's several errors in the audio version too, in the position of pauses and emphasis. Oh well, can't be perfect.

freelance
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Has anyone ever read a book without any errors?

Ninja Homer
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I noticed at least 5 errors while reading the book. I hope they correct them before the next printing.

I noticed them, but most people won't. I always catch errors in books.

Hell, I even caught errors in the last Harry Potter book, which sold how many millions of copies? You'd think they'd have at least a couple good editors go through it.

I plan on reading the Revolution again soon. When I do, I'll make note of the errors I catch.

IRO-bot
05-07-2008, 02:34 PM

+1

See it all the time.

GunnyFreedom
05-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Can't say as I've ever read a book without at least one spelling/punctuation error. Errors of grammar and syntax are a little different though. Books tend to either have a lot of those, or none. I haven't read the Manifesto yet, however. Everywhere around here has been sold out since release day -- and I was broke during pre-release. :(

newyearsrevolution08
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
These can be sent to the publisher who can get them fixed for future prints odds are, on the audio, I didn't notice BUT that might just be because I dig the audio version so much.

NightOwl
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I counted one typo in my reading of the book. Care to share your five?

Mahkato
I am depending on the free market to correct those errors and offer me an error-free edition in the future.

RonPaulVolunteer
I have never read a Bible with any typos actually.

tonyr1988
05-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Can't say as I've ever read a book without at least one spelling/punctuation error. Errors of grammar and syntax are a little different though. Books tend to either have a lot of those, or none. I haven't read the Manifesto yet, however. Everywhere around here has been sold out since release day -- and I was broke during pre-release. :(

Read Donald Knuth's Art of Computer Programming. If you find an error, he'll send you $$$$$. He's infamous for his thoroughness. :D

Sorry, I'm going off-topic. Errors aren't a huge thing, especially grammatical (not spelling) ones.

newyearsrevolution08
05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Read Donald Knuth's Art of Computer Programming. If you find an error, he'll send you $$$$$. He's infamous for his thoroughness. :D

Sorry, I'm going off-topic. Errors aren't a huge thing, especially grammatical (not spelling) ones.

this is also a great sales trick as well, it makes people really get into reading it since they have an added benefit now.

great idea actually

tonyr1988
05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
this is also a great sales trick as well, it makes people really get into reading it since they have an added benefit now.

great idea actually

If I remember right, he paid $2.56 (because 256 pennies is one hexadecimal dollar). No one ever cashed the checks, though, because they're so freaking awesome. :D

rajibo
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I personally thought the book could have been edited better. The first few chapters sort of read like a Ron Paul speech, with weird pauses and odd sentence structures.

Either it got better as it went on, or I got used to the writing style because by the end I didn't notice it.

kigol
05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
heh good look :)

nate895
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM

That one went through translation, though, so the probability that there are errors within it, and much more profound ones, is very high.

DFF
05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
I think only a few mistakes are a testament to how focused Ron Paul is under pressure, considering the Manifesto was written while he was on the campain trail, doing a gillion others things.

V4Vendetta
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
The only errors I noticed were between the Audio CD that was Narrated. Thats only because things were probably added after the recording went into production.

but the Pauses and emphasis were added on purpose, I liked it.

As for the Book, I didn't notice any typos.
Maybe mine is a latter edition or something.

EDIT: I take that back, I noticed 3 error's.

Nate SY
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I had noticed that marijuana gets spelled "marihuana" 2 or 3 times, and I was wondering if this was intentional or not. I believe it was used in quotes, so I get the feeling it was meant to convey that the people who were quoted lacked knowledge on the subject... but I'm not positive and "H" does happen to be right next to "J" on a keyboard... Anyone else notice that?

Shii

Even some Harry Potter books had mistakes in the first printing.

yongrel
Y'all have too much free time :D

constituent
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
as for the audio book, who is this michael shower?

ItsTime
05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
i seen me no arrors

Aldanga
05-07-2008, 06:33 PM
I had noticed that marijuana gets spelled "marihuana" 2 or 3 times, and I was wondering if this was intentional or not. I believe it was used in quotes, so I get the feeling it was meant to convey that the people who were quoted lacked knowledge on the subject... but I'm not positive and "H" does happen to be right next to "J" on a keyboard... Anyone else notice that?

I believe it was a direct quote from back when marijuana wasn't widely known. That was exactly his point, actually, in referencing the stupid decision of Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937_Marihuana_Tax_Act) to outlaw this unknown drug from Mexico.

Some people actually spell it marihuana, apparently.

I saw one typo. I hadn't seen any others.

Ninja Homer
05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Just to prove that some errors do indeed exist, I found one I remembered seeing.

Page 120, first line, "during times of war and national emergences" should be "during times of war and national emergencies."

Those are the kinds of little errors in it, where a spell checker wouldn't catch them.

NightOwl
05-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I believe it was a direct quote from back when marijuana wasn't widely known. That was exactly his point, actually, in referencing the stupid decision of Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1937_Marihuana_Tax_Act) to outlaw this unknown drug from Mexico.

Some people actually spell it marihuana, apparently.

I saw one typo. I hadn't seen any others.

Right. Whenever he spells it that way, he is quoting someone else. Whenever he uses the word himself, he uses the more conventional spelling. So that's no error.

Bruno
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM

You've read multiple versions of the Bible in their entirety? Wow.

V4Vendetta
05-07-2008, 09:16 PM
You've read multiple versions of the Bible in their entirety? Wow.

Ummm....

A LOT of people have!

Paul Revered
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I caught quite a few; and I'm only on the 2nd chapter. I'm by no means qualified to be an English teacher. The message is what is important. Ron Paul might not express himself very well; but I've listened carefully, and found that he is brilliant.

GunnyFreedom
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Don't forget that until some point int he 50's America used to Anglicise everything. In fact, up until the 30's, immigrants with obviously foreign sounding names were outright assigned new names at Ellis island:

"What's your name?"
"Juan Carlos Santana"
"Ok, your new name is John Charles Smith. Move along please, next!"

The point being, that in the 30's - early 50's, the "proper" American spelling of marijuana WAS in fact marihuana.

I remember studying this growing up, and I was VERY annoyed that some ham-handed jerk from the immigration office had the gall to think they could just up and re-name people because their names sounded funny to him.