PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this out

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/nga01/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&itemID=b5c86591e1b3af00VgnVCMServer23727a95RCRD&beanID=1629630080&viewID=Article

That's the National GeoSpatial Intelligence Agency.

First, what exactly does it do? Have you ever heard of it before?

Today in Annandale VA there was an earthquake, very mild at 1.8 and here's the scoop:

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=600&sid=1399162

Earlier, Ft. Belvoir officials told WTOP the rumblings were part of underground construction blasts at the base.

Ft. Belvoir officials said the construction work scheduled for 4:15 p.m. Tuesday began earlier than expected.

They later told WTOP the blasts did not occur and are still scheduled for later in the afternoon.

The blasts are part of the construction at Ft. Belvoir for the new National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. The agency is moving its headquarters to Ft. Belvoir and as part of the region's base realignment and closure project.

Ft. Belvoir officials say people may feel more rumblings over the new few days from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The thing is, on the radio, it was reported that the construction blasting was MILES underground (6.2 miles was the number given). What are they doing and why does this agency need to be down there? :confused:

Thanks for your input.

RSLudlum
05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
probably something to do with neutrino experiments, and/or other experiments that require utmost protection from radiation of all types.... super secret weapon or energy tests.

that's my unequivocal unqualified, uneducated guess... :p

rancher89
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
(image) coffee spurting from nostrils

note: must clean keyboard

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
(image) coffee spurting from nostrils

note: must clean keyboard

Is that from laughing or shock? :o

mdh
05-07-2008, 01:01 AM
The NGIA mostly deals with sattelite based intel operations and the management of DoD sattelites.

driller80545
05-07-2008, 01:30 AM
They aren't doing anything 6.2 miles down. This would be the deepest hole ever drilled in this hemisphere. I have only heard of one whole in the world drilled that deep and that was in Russia.

acptulsa
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM
My first thought is they're trying to pick up the shock waves from nuke tests around the world. The deep cave would be a particular advantage in picking up underground testing.