PDA

View Full Version : "Take Down Ron Paul Sign", says my apt managment.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 05:10 PM
After 6 months of having my Ron Paul sign in my window, the management left me a note saying I need to remove it. Has anyone else run into this kind of thing with their apartment management?

freedom-maniac
05-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Is it restricting some fire code or something? Don't freak out until you find out what the problem is.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 05:14 PM
"...has a policy that the exterior of the community needs to be consistent. This means if you would need to hang curtains on the inside of your blinds so that the exterior would show the white blinds."

*i didn't misquote them. I'm pretty sure they are taking governement vouchers now.

FreeTraveler
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Call the ACLU and talk to them. If they believe you have a 1st Amendment case, they'll send a lawyer along when you talk to management. That will probably end the problem for you.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Call the ACLU and talk to them. If they believe you have a 1st Amendment case, they'll send a lawyer along when you talk to management. That will probably end the problem for you.

seriously? right to the lawyer?

I'll try talking with management first.

FreeTraveler
05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
seriously? right to the lawyer?

I'll try talking with management first.

Yeah, I'd start with management first. If they are understanding of 1st Amendment rights to political speech, you're home free.

Unless you signed something as part of your lease, you probably have a case worth pursuing.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I'd start with management first. If they are understanding of 1st Amendment rights to political speech, you're home free.

Unless you signed something as part of your lease, you probably have a case worth pursuing.

Hope he didn't skim over the "Color Consistency Clause"

asgardshill
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
One of the little bennies of home ownership in a non-HOA area - anybody telling me to take down my signs gets laughed at and told they have as long as it takes my slowest Rottie to run 50 yards to get off my property.

CurtisLow
05-06-2008, 05:29 PM
"Take Down Ron Paul Sign", says my apt managment.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/2963/clinteastwoodc10101827rs5.jpg
I have a friend.. I'll send him over!

Cinderella
05-06-2008, 05:30 PM
the vent?

TruthAtLast
05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Is it restricting some fire code or something? Don't freak out until you find out what the problem is.

a sign in a window? Do they send the same note for Christmas or Halloween decorations?

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 06:00 PM
the vent?

why? i wasn't venting. I was asking.

RCA
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
After 6 months of having my Ron Paul sign in my window, the management left me a note saying I need to remove it. Has anyone else run into this kind of thing with their apartment management?

Actually, this is a common part of leases, no signs allowed. I wanted to put one in my apartment window too, but then I read my lease and OOPS!

Since you are renting their private property, their rules. This is not a First Amendment issue!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Actually, this is a common part of leases, no signs allowed. I wanted to put one in my apartment window too, but then I read my lease and OOPS!

Since you are renting their private property, their rules. This is not a First Amendment issue!

thank you! I guess it goes on my car...somehow.

RCA
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
thank you! I guess it goes on my car...somehow.

You should have no problem with a sign on or in your car. I had two Ron Paul door magnets on mine for 3 or 4 months.

OptionsTrader
05-06-2008, 06:55 PM
It's their property, not yours.

If I owned an apartment complex, I'd cite the obscure lease reg that gives me the unambiguous authority to demand a tenant remove a McCain sign from their window. It's my property as the owner, my lease agreement that I wrote, and 100% in my authority as a property owner to demand removal of that McCain sign.

WRellim
05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
One of the little bennies of home ownership in a non-HOA area - anybody telling me to take down my signs gets laughed at and told they have as long as it takes my slowest Rottie to run 50 yards to get off my property.

Bah, same thing applies to me living in an HOA (trick is to be ON THE BOARD! :D).

Oh, and of course I have attack cats rather that Rotties.
:rolleyes:

hotbrownsauce
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Quoting because this is true. The apartment building isn't the government so saying you have a right would mean nothing. You have to prove you aren't breaking the rules you signed up for on the lease! Or you can say its non arbitrary if you can prove other people have violated the lease and were left alone purposefully and that they have unfairly targeted you.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
thanks everyone for the input. this is what i needed to know.

RCA
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
One thing I did do was canvass my entire apartment complex. I put business cards for our Meetup group on each door. There are about 250 apartments here.

Have you done this yet?

parke
05-06-2008, 08:11 PM
You could also show them the video of the guy in Florida where the city tried to stop him on his property. As long as you are renting the place, its your place. Screw them. Tell them you will call the radio and news stations, write to your local paper and contact the ACLU if they force you to quell your right to free speech.

RCA
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
You could also show them the video of the guy in Florida where the city tried to stop him on his property. As long as you are renting the place, its your place. Screw them. Tell them you will call the radio and news stations, write to your local paper and contact the ACLU if they force you to quell your right to free speech.

1. It's not his property.

2. It's not his place.

3. He doesn't have free speech on someone else's property if it the lease says so.

OptionsTrader
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
As long as you are renting the place, its your place.

It is not your property if you are rentng.

Aldanga
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
You should have no problem with a sign on or in your car. I had two Ron Paul door magnets on mine for 3 or 4 months.

I did too, but they were all stolen. :(

Private property issue, not 1st Amendment.

flames2dust77
05-06-2008, 11:55 PM

That's a bit much, don't you think? I've rented enough to know there is almost always something in the lease about signs and yes, sometimes decorations in the windows. Dude, if you're renting...you don't own it. You have no say...management does. That's always pretty clear in the lease YOU SIGN stating that you understand those conditions.