PDA

View Full Version : Should Big Bird get our tax money?

gid
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
The wtci blog (http://wtcitv.org/blog/entry/1/50) has a small post about whether tax money should be spent on PBS. It links to an article on parade.com. Please vote. http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2008/edition_05-04-2008/Intelligence_Report

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Done.

Kraig
05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Nearly 60% have voted yes. What a fucking joke.

sluggo
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Until Big Bird fights for civil liberties and limited government, I say NO!

Cinderella
05-06-2008, 09:44 AM
do we the people really control PBS anymore???

Luft97
05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Big Bird is debasing our currency. Shame on him!

gid
05-06-2008, 10:47 AM
If y'all are members of a meetup group please send them an email. Yesterday the poll was 70% believe that government should not fund PBS. Then last night and today both member PBS stations and Public Radio announced the poll and told their listeners to go and vote.

Perry
05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
I think Ron Pauls answer would be no but that this would not be one of his immediate targets.

literatim
05-06-2008, 11:14 AM
They want to start brainwashing people early in life.

Mesogen
05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Uh, let's worry about KBR, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Blackwater Worldwide, Exxon Mobil, Texaco, SAIC, etc. etc. etc. getting tax money before attacking freaking PBS fer christssakes.

Zippyjuan
05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Is PBS the biggest waste of taxpayer money? Corn ethanol is only one issue. In 2006, it got $7 billion of your money. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting only gets $400 million a year. Which costs more and offers the least benefit? Get rid of it first. There are many other programs which are more wasteful than PBS.

Jaykzo
05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
PBS, being funded by taxpayers, does not have to rely on ratings alone to survive. They'll get gov't money either way. This leads to the programming only being affected by the judgement and credibility of those in charge.

Its funny, really. The only news station that shouldn't have an authority to exist is the only one that is fulfilling its job as a news organization. PBS news is extremely fair, comprehensive, and accurate. Meanwhile, the other privately owned news organizations that should be totally acceptable are doing a pathetic job of being honest informative to their viewers.

Honestly, for right now, I'd be happy to continue to fund PBS as its the only news station out there that won't talk about flag pins for a week straight. I think getting rid of one of the few decent mainstream news organizations would be a mistake at this point in our history.

MicheleFloyd
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
PBS, being funded by taxpayers, does not have to rely on ratings alone to survive. They'll get gov't money either way. This leads to the programming only being affected by the judgement and credibility of those in charge.

Its funny, really. The only news station that shouldn't have an authority to exist is the only one that is fulfilling its job as a news organization. PBS news is extremely fair, comprehensive, and accurate. Meanwhile, the other privately owned news organizations that should be totally acceptable are doing a pathetic job of being honest informative to their viewers.

Honestly, for right now, I'd be happy to continue to fund PBS as its the only news station out there that won't talk about flag pins for a week straight. I think getting rid of one of the few decent mainstream news organizations would be a mistake at this point in our history.

I completely agree. PBS is awesome. The public has a right to the airwaves, full stop.

Kraig
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM

I don't watch TV but from what I know of PBS it is probably one of the best stations on network television. However, isn't the whole point of Ron Paul's (our?) position on tax and spending reform that people should not be forced to pay for things they don't want or need?

If you like PBS, donate to them. If it really is such good thing, ask other people to donate as well. They shouldn't get a cent of tax money, I know there are much bigger fish to fry right now, but I still have to fundamentally disagree with giving them any tax money. I don't think anyone wants to get rid of them, they just don't want to be forced to support them.

AutoDas
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
PBS is a television babysitting. If you like it, then why don't you support their telethons instead of forcing me to pay for your babysitter. At least with the BBC you don't have to fund them without buying a tv tuner first.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
PBS is a television babysitting. If you like it, then why don't you support their telethons instead of forcing me to pay for your babysitter. At least with the BBC you don't have to fund them without buying a tv tuner first.

+1. I do not authorize my tax dollars to go toward a service I never use (and which isn't needed by anyone), to spend my money in this way is no different then theft.