PDA

View Full Version : McCain on CNN courting Paul voters

erin moore
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
He is talking about the constitution and judicial activism.

"The duties and boundaries of the constitution are not just a set of helpful suggestions. They're not just guidelines to be observed when convienient and loosely interpreted when it isnt.

The clear powers defined by our constitution and the clear limits of power lose nothing of their relevence with time because the dangers they guard against are found in every time." -McCain

From Winston-Salem NC: John McCain

I am living proof that an undistinguished academic record can be overcome in life. Or at least that’s the hope that has long, long sustained me. Your kind invitation here at wake forest brings me here as a candidate for president of the United States. And anyone in that pursuit has plenty of promises to make and to keep. When its all over, however, the next president will be compelled to make just one promise, in the same words that 42 others have spoken when the moment arrived. The framers’ of our constitution had a knack for coming right to the point. And it shows in the 35 word oath that ends with a pledge to preserve, protect, and defend the constitution itself. This is what we require and expect of every president, no matter what the agenda, or the loyalties of party.

All the powers of the presidency must serve the constitution and thereby protect the people and their liberties. For the chief executive, or any other constitutional office, The duties and boundaries of the constitution are not just a set of helpful suggestions. They're not just guidelines to be observed when convenient and loosely interpreted when it isn’t. The clear powers defined by our constitution and the clear limits of power lose nothing of their relevance with time because the dangers they guard against are found in every time.

In America, constitutional restraint on powers is as fundamental as the exercise of power and often more so. Yet the framers knew that these restraints would not always be observed, they were idealists (repeat) but they were worldly men as well. And they knew that abuses of power would arise and need to be firmly checked. Their design for democracy was drawn from their experience with tyranny.

A suspicion of power is ingrained in both the letter and spirit of the American constitution.

In the end, of course, their grand solution was to allocate federal power three ways. Reserving all other powers and rights to the states and to the people themselves.

The executive, legislative and judicial branches are often wary of one another's excesses, and they should be. They seek to keep each other within bounds, and they are supposed to. And although you wouldn't always know it from watching the day to day affairs of modern Washington, the framers knew exactly what they were doing, and the system of check and balances rarely disappoints.

There’s one great exception in our day however, and that is the common and systematic abuse of our federal courts by the people we entrust with judicial power. For decades now some federal judges have taken it upon themselves to announce and rule on matters that were never intended to be heard in courts or decided by judges.

With a presumption that would've amazed the framers of our constitution, and legal reasoning that would have mystified them, federal judges today issue rulings and opinions on policy questions that should be decided democratically. Assured of lifetime tenures, these judges show little regard for the authority of the president, of the congress or of the states. They display even less interest in the will of the people. And the only remedy available to any of us is to find, nominate, and confirm better judges. Quite rightly, the proper role of the judiciary has become one of the defining issues of this presidential election. It will fall to the next president to nominate hundreds of qualified men and women to the courts and the choices we make will reach far, far into the future.

My two prospective opponents and I have very different ideas about the nature and proper exercise of judicial power. We would nominate judges of a different kind, a different caliber, a different understanding of judicial authority and its limits. And the people of America, voters in both parties whose wishes and convictions are so often disregarded by unelected judges are entitled to know what those differences are.

Federal courts are charged with applying the constitution and laws of our country to each case at hand. There's great honor in this responsibility. An honor is the first thing to go when courts abuse their power. The moral authority of our judiciary depends on judicial self restraint. But that authority quickly vanishes when a court presumes to MAKE law instead of apply it. A court is hardly competent to check the abuses of other branches of government when it can't even control itself. One justice of the court remarked in a recent opinion that he was basing a conclusion on Quote 'my own experience.' Even though that conclusion found no support in the constitution or in applicable statutes or in the record of the case in front of him.

Such candor from the bench is rare and even commendable. But it was not exactly news that the court had taken to setting aside the facts and the constitution in its review of cases. And especially, especially in politically charged cases. Often, political causes are brought before the courts that couldn’t succeed by democratic means and some federal judges are eager to oblige politicians who sometimes contribute to the problem as well. Politicians themselves contribute to the problem because we abdicate our responsibilities and let the courts make the decision for us.

One abuse of judicial authority inspires more. One act of raw judicial power invites others. And the result over many years has been a series of judicial opinions and edicts wandering farther and farther from the clear meaning of the constitution and from the clear limits of judicial power that the constitution defines.

Sometimes the express will of the voter is disregarded by federal judges. As, in the 2005 case concerning an aggravated murder in the state of Missouri. As you might recall, the case inspired a Supreme Court opinion that left posterity on the lengthy discourse on international law, the constitutions of other nations, the meaning of life, and quote 'evolving standards of decency.' These meditations were in the tradition of penumbras, emanations, and other airy constructs the court has employed over the years as poor substitutes for clear and rigorous constitutional reasoning.

The effect of that in the Missouri case was familiar, too. When it finally came to the point, the result was to reduce the penalty, disregard our constitution and brush off the standards of the people themselves and their elected representatives.

The year 2005 also brought the case of Susan Kelo before the United States Supreme Court. Here was a woman whose home was taken from her because the local government and a few big corporations had designs of their own on the land she was getting and she was getting in the way. There's hardly a clearer principle on all of the constitution than the right of private property.

There's a very clear standard in the constitution requiring not only just compensation for the use of eminent domain but also that private property may not be taken for public use. But apparently that standard has been evolving, too. In the hands of a narrow majority of the court even the basic right of property doesn’t mean what we all thought it meant since the founding of America.

A local government seizes the private property of an American citizen. It gave that property away to a private developer. And this power play actually got the constitution ......

commercial

acptulsa
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
"The clear powers defined by our constitution and the clear limits of power lose nothing of their revelence with time because the dangers they guard against are found in every time."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

matthylland
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
oh the irony.....

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 08:28 AM
:rolleyes:

Talking the talk is easy enough...

erin moore
05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Just when he starts in on emminent domain they cut to commercial...

acptulsa
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Just when he starts in on emminent domain they cut to commercial...

It isn't easy to cover for his hoof-in-mouth disease. Tricky to see the signs of his symptoms emerging.

He doesn't stick his foot in his mouth every time he opens it.

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
So does this mean he won't support unconstitutional wars and an unconstitutional monetary system???? I can't wait to see his formal statement calling for an end to the war and the Federal Reserve! How exciting! ;)

wgadget
05-06-2008, 08:35 AM
So does this mean he won't support unconstitutional wars and an unconstitutional monetary system???? I can't wait to see his formal statement calling for an end to the war and the Federal Reserve! How exciting! ;)

Unfortunately for him, his record speaks loud and clear. And we're not ones to avoid research.

speciallyblend
05-06-2008, 08:41 AM
I thought i smelled shit on tv ,looked up and it was mccain. kinda of reminded me of hitler promising to make peace. what a dumbass,shame he cant follow his own advice. mccain and bush should be arrested for treason against the US Constitution.

weslinder
05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I think McCain's tax plan is a positive step as well. None of it is enough to make me forget his 20 years as a RINO in the Senate.

Cinderella
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
well that settles it!!! MCINSANE HAS MY VOTE!!!

MelissaWV
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
While mdh and I slept, Wake Forest was apparently moved.

McCain @ Wake Forest: "Great to be here in West Virginia."

I am 100% sure that this is as accurate as his newfound love of the Constitution.

flames2dust77
05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
uuh, yeah..vote for McWar. We'll get right on that! *gags*

DealzOnWheelz
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
*ughh master says must vote McAmnesty URGH*

(walks away with arms outstrecthed in typical GOP drone fashion)

acptulsa
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
*ughh master says must vote McAmnesty URGH*

(walks away with arms outstrecthed in typical GOP drone fashion)

Even the drones are holding their noses this time. Guy at the state convention was handing out McCain Voting Kits.

Otherwise known as wooden clothespins for the nose.

speciallyblend
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I love the sarcasm in this thread,though some outsiders just might miss it and believe that we are supporting mccain;)

erin moore
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
full text edited into first post

speciallyblend
05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Even the drones are holding their noses this time. Guy at the state convention was handing out McCain Voting Kits.

Otherwise known as wooden clothespins for the nose.

wonder if i should wear many clothespins on my jacket;) and when people ask,give them out as mccain voter kits;) not sure if it's a great idea,but i swear if they waterboard me before the colorado convention or even question my position. I will show up with clothespins all over my jacket and give them out.. If i hear one more brainwashed republican try to get me to go party line with mccain. i just might snap:) and squeeze the clothespin on their mouth(teasin i think)

i have had 3 calls from republicans running and the first thing out of their mouths was the mccain party line bs, I stopped them right there and told them thanks for the call but im voting for the most consevative candidate and i will meet them at the convention. I also thanked them and told them i put principle over party. I'm sure they figured out i wasnt going to support mccain. I expect the colorado convention to be suspended on sat may 31st somehow;). I will not let one corrupt gop member get me in a room singled out WTF is going on with the gop geez

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
There’s one great exception in our day however, and that is the common and systematic abuse of our federal courts (oval office) by the people (President) we entrust with judicial (Executive) power.

There’s one great exception in our day however, and that is the common and systematic abuse of our federal courts (Congress and Senate) by the people (legislators) we entrust with judicial (legislative) power.

Wow, I found 2 other exceptions!!! :D

erin moore
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
bump

Join The Paul Side
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Just because McNameDropper drops the name of the most sacred document in US history, the Constitution, a few dozen times in a hollow speech (that wasn't even written by him) doesn't mean I will relinquish my principles and vote for that phoney Republican. No way.

:cool:

Aratus
05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
sadly i said i wouldn't back even a mccain/paul ticket, i would never ever lever pull for
teddy kennedy again or senator kerry, as well as totally never lever pull for jeb bush!
it comes to late for me to rethink my position! i need to do up another ARATUS letter!!!

Cinderella
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
maybe he said those things to appeal to his huck delegates?

speciallyblend
05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Just because McNameDropper drops the name of the most sacred document in US history, the Constitution, a few dozen times in a hollow speech (that wasn't even written by him) doesn't mean I will relinquish my principles and vote for that phoney Republican. No way.

exactly

V4Vendetta
05-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth.

I was thinking the same thing.

McCain should have been put on trial for treason in 2001, so should have most of congress.... but hey, what do i know?

Grandson of Liberty
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM

+1776

Yeah, I can see the strategy session now: "Hey, if I say the word "Constitution," I'll get the Ron Paul voters. By the way, what is that "Constitution" thing, anyway?"

How disgustingly insulting.

cjhowe
05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm confused...so McCain didn't just have a come to Jesus moment? :rolleyes:

pinkmandy
05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm confused...so McCain didn't just have a come to Jesus moment? :rolleyes:

No, that's on the schedule for August. :p

acptulsa
05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
No, that's on the schedule for August. :p

...unless the Huckabee people wise up sooner!

angelatc
05-06-2008, 01:07 PM
From Winston-Salem NC: John McCain

I am living proof that an undistinguished academic record can be overcome in life.

So, as long as you ensure that the general population is even stupider than you are, you too can achieve the possibility of grabbing the most powerful chair in the world if you are a foul-mouthed, ill-tempered war-mongering bully.

erin moore
05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
bump

erin moore
05-07-2008, 11:55 PM
bump

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-08-2008, 01:55 AM
+1776

Yeah, I can see the strategy session now: "Hey, if I say the word "Constitution," I'll get the Ron Paul voters. By the way, what is that "Constitution" thing, anyway?"

How disgustingly insulting.

Yes, it is. It was one thing for the media and Huck to think it would work at the beginning. McCain's already seen it not work, and still trying. This guy is seriously sick.

Conza88
05-08-2008, 02:29 AM
http://www.ostblog.de/archives/bullshit.jpg

Conza88
05-08-2008, 02:30 AM
http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/images/bullshit.jpg

McCain's Veterans Hospitals fundraising efforts. :rolleyes:

american.swan
05-08-2008, 02:46 AM
I'll hold my nose and vote McCain as soon as he holds his nose and votes like Ron Paul in the senate.

garrettwombat
05-08-2008, 03:47 AM
the fact that he goes on and on about our constitution and then all of a sudden says "Their design for democracy was drawn from their experience with tyranny." shows his very ill understanding of our constitution. he is a fake.

you cant love freedom and love democracy at the same time... democracy is an enemy of freedom.
and you cant claim to know history and say our country was founded as a democracy.

MMolloy
05-08-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't think he's courting us, he's trying to mute our criticism and plant a seed in the minds of party faithful that maybe he's turned a new leaf... so they can hope he'll do the right thing.

And he needs money... here is a letter he sent via "Human Events" (paid political add) promising to nominate Supreme Court Justices that will not legislate from the bench... obviously courting Pro-Lifers (I will be sending out my retort shorty)

My Friends,

We have a lot at stake in this presidential election. As a nation, we face many challenges that will require real leadership from our next president. I have said before that this election will be about the big things, not the small things, and I write to you today about one big issue in particular - the future of the U.S. Supreme Court. If one of my Democratic opponents is elected in November, you can rest assured that given the opportunity to appoint judges, they will appoint those who make law with disregard for the will of the people.

There may be at least two vacancies on the United States Supreme Court during the next presidential term. As president, I will ensure that only those judges who strictly interpret the Constitution of the United States are appointed. I will nominate judges who understand that their role is to faithfully apply the law as written, not impose their will through judicial fiat.

If you want judges who will clearly and completely adhere to the Constitution of the United States and who do not legislate from the bench to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, then I ask that you join my campaign for president today by making a financial contribution.

I am proud to have played a role in the appointment and confirmation of two great Supreme Court justices - Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito I need your support now so that as your president I can nominate judges like Justices Roberts and Alito. Judges who have proven themselves worthy of our trust. Judges who take as their sole responsibility the enforcement of laws made by the people's elected representatives. Judges who can be relied upon to respect the values of the people whose rights, laws and property they are sworn to defend.

My friends, the future of our country and of the Supreme Court is at stake in this election. If either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama is elected - both voted against confirming Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito - they will appoint activist judges. They will appoint judges who legislate from the bench.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you how important even one vote on the Supreme Court can be. Issues concerning states' rights, abortion, affirmative action, the Second Amendment and religious freedom have all been decided by a very slim 5-4 margin.

America needs a leader who recognizes that the people and the states should decide what's best, not the courts. In order to be that leader, I need your financial support immediately.

Please follow this link to make an immediate donation of $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 - any amount up to the legal limit of $4,600.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

John McCain

P.S. To date, my Democrat opponents have raised almost $450 million in their efforts to win the White House. Both Senators Clinton and Obama voted against confirming John Roberts and Samuel Alito. Both Senators Clinton and Obama will nominate liberal, activist judges. As your president, I will ensure that the Supreme Court protects our values. Please follow this link right away to make your donation of any amount, up to the legal limit of $4,600. Every contribution, no matter how big or small, is crucial to our efforts. Thank you.

Our reply needs to be in unison: McCain ganged up with 6 of the most liberal Republicans and 7 Democrats to block any such judge (exact wording to be finalized later) in the Senate... there is no hope he will nominate Judges that are any better than Hillary or Obama.

Conza88
05-08-2008, 05:43 AM
I don't think he's courting us, he's trying to mute our criticism and plant a seed in the minds of party faithful that maybe he's turned a new leaf... so they can hope he'll do the right thing.

QFT. They're shitting his pants because RP's book is out, gonna wake every dead head up!! :D

He'll be speaking as a Constitutionalist for the next 2 months, trying to erase every previous vote he's ever done.

THIS means we are WINNING. They've had to change their rhetoric... :D

Bruno
05-08-2008, 06:58 AM
The problem is that the Straight Talker is not a Straight Walker.

acptulsa
05-08-2008, 07:01 AM
The problem is that the Straight Talker is not a Straight Walker.

LOL. He always talks straight to what the polls say is the popular opinion of the week then does what the lobbyists pay him to do. I think you've just about got a campaign sign there, bruno. How about...?

Got straight talk
Won't walk the walk

Conza88
05-08-2008, 07:36 AM
LOL. He always talks straight to what the polls say is the popular opinion of the week then does what the lobbyists pay him to do. I think you've just about got a campaign sign there, bruno. How about...?

Got straight talk
Won't walk the walk

LOL. That is perfect. Spread that to daily paul, needs to enter our daily vocab.

To the point though, he doesn't talk straight either.. he's the EXACT opposite, I dunno wtf his position is on anything, cus he has it both ways, he's a chameleon.

What the retarded media calls 'straight talk' is McCain going into the Bronx, saying something retarded that offends blacks, and accepts the fact that he has caused a massive rucus and gets BOO's, means it must be straight talk somehow... :rolleyes:

No, no no.. he simply doesn't give a fk, or more to the point - he goes out of his WAY to piss people off.

Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeBw28tX5Nw) and tell me he doesn't WANT to get booed.. He knew he made a mistake, he forgot who the audience was... oh, yea I'm a REPUBLICAN today.. WHOOPS! :rolleyes:

Cinderella
05-08-2008, 08:06 AM
mccain is a nutbag

Bern
05-08-2008, 08:32 AM
McCain should have given himself that speech before hammering out McCain-Feingold or voting for the Patriot Act amongst other things.

Kilrain
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Just more McCain bullshit.

Remember this from "Meet the Press"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajm5JTf7jZs

idiom
05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
He Don't Walk
The Straight Talk

?

HOLLYWOOD
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, I see that the Campaign & Marketing staff of McLobbyist (john mcCain) are utilizing the specific points about Ron Paul. First Huckabee Copied most everyone else's ideas and campaign and now John McLieberman.

Have you noticed McCain's latest backdrop for his speeches?

Silkscreened copies of the CONSTITUTION pieces... emphasizes on "WE THE PEOPLE" portion of the document.

The only good points are those Huck & McWar campaigns and staff, know how to Market a presidential candidate

MMolloy
05-11-2008, 05:30 PM
LOL. That is perfect. Spread that to daily paul, needs to enter our daily vocab.

To the point though, he doesn't talk straight either.. he's the EXACT opposite, I dunno wtf his position is on anything, cus he has it both ways, he's a chameleon.

We need a good visual for the McChameleon

Did the Vietnamese do skin graphs on him? Ewwwww... a graphic of him coming out of a Vietnamese "Prison Camp"/Spa and having makeup applied to cover his reptilian skin

kigol
05-11-2008, 05:33 PM
:)

Libertarian Ideals
05-11-2008, 06:11 PM
"Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good he does not intend." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Here's hoping for better political discourse... Think Hillary will ever catch on? ;)

Highland
05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
they can try all they want.