PDA

View Full Version : "Just like my son," she said...

Bradley in DC
05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
So, yesterday I'm hanging out working on some survey questions for Vern McKinley with another friend from RPFs who is visiting in town (and with the pups) down at a coffeehouse near Eastern Market on Capitol Hill.

It was during Eastern Market Days so everything was crowded. We were at a small table and were taking up two of the seats. The other two chairs had been borrowed by another table previously and were now just sort of "at large" as it were. :o So, when I saw the couple sit in the chairs with their lunch unattached to any table to place their food, I invited them to join our very small table.

Long story short, we all get to talking, everyone was very nice, they're a bi-racial couple from Brooklyn with typical leftist views (they live here now). My laptop has a "Ron Paul rEVOLution" sticker on it and one saying simply "Legalize Freedom" while Michael's had Ron Paul (and Vern McKinley) stickers on it. I took the liberty of brainstorming with them on the survey questions for a group with which we generally agree but some of their solutions violate our constitutionalist sensibilities. When we explain that, and what we mean by that, and mention Ron Paul, the woman answers, "just like my son."

evilfunnystuff
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
"just like my son."

in a good way i hope.

kudos for spreadin the message now matter how well received.

Chester Copperpot
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Thats fuckin' awesome... HAH!

Bradley in DC
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
in a good way i hope.

kudos for spreadin the message now matter how well received.

No, I got the impression it was favorable. More of a recognition of a generational shift in how to approach issues, given the context of the conversation. :)

DrAmy31415
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
That story made me :D

ronpaulitician
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
At work, the few colleagues willing to talk politics all have a very favorable opinion of Paul.

Aratus
05-05-2008, 01:22 PM
shades of michael j. fox's alex keaton, only now its the net and the ron paul rEVOLUTIOn?

mdh
05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Good stuff. I've always been an advocate of opening a dialogue with as many random strangers as possible.

I'll add my own such anecdote, which occured Sunday (yesterday) while sign waving at an intersection in the Granville area. An older lady in the passenger seat of her car sees me waving my 8'x4' sign around, and we start talking a bit. The conversation goes something like...
Lady: Is he still in the race?
Me: Oh yeah! We can absolutely still win WV!
Lady: That's good, 'cause I don't like that McCain guy.
Me: Well, there are an awful lot of reasons not to. Dr. Paul is the best candidate I've seen in a long long time, he's standing up for real conservatives.
Lady: I voted for him in Maryland!

Then the light turned green and they had to leave. Good stuff, though. We got a lot of positive, uplifting responses, and saw a few Obama dorks shouting obscenities in typical Democrat style.

RonPaulFever
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
shades of michael j. fox's alex keaton, only now its the net and the ron paul rEVOLUTIOn?

NO ONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY

Bradley in DC
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY

Yes we do. There was a show called Family Ties where the parents were unrepentant Hippies but the oldest son (played by Michael J. Fox) was a Reagan conservative. ;)

DrAmy31415
05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes we do. There was a show called Family Ties where the parents were unrepentant Hippies but the oldest son (played by Michael J. Fox) was a Reagan conservative. ;)

Yep! Even I got that one, and I can't claim to always understand Aratus. :)

dannno
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
At work, the few colleagues willing to talk politics all have a very favorable opinion of Paul.

"You can’t fight city hall, death and taxes. Don’t talk about politics or religion. This is all the equivalent of enemy propaganda rolling across the picket line."

-Waking Life (2001)

(I won't say who said that in Waking Life, that's a surprise for those who choose to see the film)

http://blogs.cannedthoughts.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/waking_life_2.jpg

Bradley in DC
Yep! Even I got that one, and I can't claim to always understand Aratus. :)

It's really very sad when I'm the pop culture expert on a thread. :p

angelatc
When we explain that, and what we mean by that, and mention Ron Paul, the woman answers, "just like my son."

Should have asked her to do your laundry!

Broadlighter
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
"You can’t fight city hall, death and taxes. Don’t talk about politics or religion. This is all the equivalent of enemy propaganda rolling across the picket line."

-Waking Life (2001)

(I won't say who said that in Waking Life, that's a surprise for those who choose to see the film)

http://blogs.cannedthoughts.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/waking_life_2.jpg

I saw that film. Thought it was pretty good.

Slugg
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM

And he could count change by simply hearing it hit a wooden table.

Slugg
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Should have asked her to do your laundry!

Grandma's like that!!! Good idea! :)