PDA

View Full Version : Who would you prefer to win LP nomination?

Kludge
05-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, I know there are threads on this. However, we've now heard more from them and have had time to research them. Along with these, I also feel the population of RPFs has shifted since the poll was last given.

Yes, I know you want to shout "Ron Paul you fucking troll!" at me. So - it'd be in both of interest to treat this thread as a useless curiosity thread, knowing that it only involves who wins the LP - it does not deal with whether or not you are going to vote LP.

Yes, I know there are more candidates then those listed (and Barr - who hasn't even announced he's running). Get over it.

Cheers.

Paulitician
05-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Phillies for President - Vote for the genuine Libertarian
Accept no two-party substitutes Phillies2008.org

That's what the advertisement is telling me, anyway.

Razmear
05-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Dr. Mary
voteformary.com

eb

Kotin
05-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I like Mary,

and I hate to say this, as it is a Ron Paul supporter's daily admonishment

Mary Ruwart's name would never be heard by anyone outside of our domain.

whereas Bob Barr's will.

phillies is a joke. and root is a shifty asshole. :D

and gravel is not really a libertarian

crazyfingers
05-05-2008, 08:27 AM
voted Barr for lack of a better choice

Kludge
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I like Mary,

and I hate to say this, as it is a Ron Paul supporter's daily admonishment

Mary Ruwart's name would never be heard by anyone outside of our domain.

whereas Bob Barr's will.

phillies is a joke. and root is a shifty asshole. :D

and gravel is not really a libertarian

Mmmm..... I like you Kotin ;)

pcosmar
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Kent McManigal
http://kentforliberty.com/

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Ruwart because Barr isn't even a declared candidate yet.

Kludge
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Ruwart because Barr isn't even a declared candidate yet.

Do note that I didn't ask who WILL win =P

JosephTheLibertarian
05-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Phillies for President - Vote for the genuine Libertarian
Accept no two-party substitutes Phillies2008.org

That's what the advertisement is telling me, anyway.

Phillies is a protectionist.

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Phillies is a protectionist.

You have to meet the man in person to really get the idea of what i'm trying to say annoying.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
You have to meet the man in person to really get the idea of what i'm trying to say annoying.

uh ok. but he does believe in protectionism. George is also a bad speaker, won like 2% of the vote in his Congressional race, and believes we should keep the Federal Reserve and Federal Income Tax systems.

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
uh ok. but he does believe in protectionism. George is also a bad speaker, won like 2% of the vote in his Congressional race, and believes we should keep the Federal Reserve and Federal Income Tax systems.

He's even worse than that... imagine sitting at a table full of people trying to enjoy a nice drink with his annoying blathering of crap and backstabbing and bullshit for 4 hours.
He's like the guy at the party that everyone is wishing would just go away. You're freaking out the chicks man. kinda thing.
Weird Uncle Fester kind guy.

Kludge
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
He's even worse than that... imagine sitting at a table full of people trying to enjoy a nice drink with his annoying blathering of crap and backstabbing and bullshit for 4 hours.
He's like the guy at the party that everyone is wishing would just go away. You're freaking out the chicks man. kinda thing.

Lol... At the LP debates, he blamed Creationists for the suppression of libertarianism.

sophocles07
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Ruwart, I'm not that fond of Barr (though he's probably second).

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Lol... At the LP debates, he blamed Creationists for the suppression of libertarianism.

Just to clarify, that really happened, i spent that horrifying evening with Phillies.
I was a LP delegate at the time, though i later switched to republican.

Cowlesy
05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted for the first guy, but I'd rather vote for Kent McManigal (www.kentforliberty.com)

rajibo
05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Can somebody explain to me again how Mike Gravel can consider himself a Libertarian?

torchbearer
I voted for the first guy, but I'd rather vote for Kent McManigal (www.kentforliberty.com)

That first guy... didn't he coin a term off of his name Jingoism?

Kludge
I voted for the first guy, but I'd rather vote for Kent McManigal (www.kentforliberty.com (http://www.kentforliberty.com))

:confused::confused::confused:

"Although I am no longer actively campaigning, I can still be the write-in Presidential candidate for Anarchists and Radical Libertarians."

Really Cowlesy? That's incredibly unexpected from you, I always thought of you as a moderate Minarchist.

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Can somebody explain to me again how Mike Gravel can consider himself a Libertarian?

He registered Libertarian. He went on CNN and said he was Libertarian. Fox News told me he was Libertarian. What other proof do you need? /sarcasm

Cowlesy

*shrugs*

Maybe?

Kent for Liberty!

Kludge

It's his right, so long as Libertarians protect it.

*shrug* He needs to change his name if he wants to be considered.

Cowlesy
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

"Although I am no longer actively campaigning, I can still be the write-in Presidential candidate for Anarchists and Radical Libertarians."

Really Cowlesy? That's incredibly unexpected from you, I always thought of you as a moderate Minarchist.

Hah!

Well, I keep my opinions on the Libertarian Party and its impact on anything/everything close to the vest.

I hope they continue to grow!

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
*shrug* He needs to change his name if he wants to be considered.

I've seen youtube videos of that Jingozian guy talking about Jingoism.
Am I crazy? Has anyone else heard of this phrase?

sophocles07
05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I think Gravel thinks because he was on CNN and was involved in the 70s in some things he automatically ranks above people who are spot on in terms of principles.

Though I like Gravel's intensity on foreign policy. "More libertarian than Ron Paul"? Yeah...

torchbearer
05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Gravel thinks because he was on CNN and was involved in the 70s in some things he automatically ranks above people who are spot on in terms of principles.

Though I like Gravel's intensity on foreign policy. "More libertarian than Ron Paul"? Yeah...

I'd accept Gravel as the nominee, but he isn't my top choices.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd accept Mike Gravel. He would be good for pr. I hate the LP being viewed as "Republican lite"

nate895
05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I think Chuck Baldwin should go for the nomination and win. He's pretty much a Ron Paul clone. I haven't found anything they disagree politically on yet.

Kludge
05-05-2008, 10:45 PM
I think Chuck Baldwin should go for the nomination and win. He's pretty much a Ron Paul clone. I haven't found anything they disagree politically on yet.

CP nomination not enough?

nate895
05-05-2008, 10:58 PM
CP nomination not enough?

No, not really. The CP and LP teamed can be a potent force. They'd probably be on every state's ballot and the combined money of their previous Presidential Runs was nearly 2 million dollars and the LP got 1 vote for every $2.75 spent. If we could combine them, and harness some of the RP energy, we could make a splash.

mdh
05-05-2008, 11:05 PM

I like that guy a lot. He was at the Pittsburgh rally where I met you...

Oh, the things I could add to this but won't.

He registered Libertarian. He went on CNN and said he was Libertarian. Fox News told me he was Libertarian. What other proof do you need? /sarcasm

He's more libertarian than Root, that's for sure.

Hah!

Well, I keep my opinions on the Libertarian Party and its impact on anything/everything close to the vest.

I hope they continue to grow!

At this point, I think it's probably silly not to work for liberty in both the LP and the GOP except in states where the LP is not worthwhile or the GOP is wholly unfriendly.

Why not just nominate whomever the LP picks in the CP? The LP is bigger than the CP. :p

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 01:19 AM
No, not really. The CP and LP teamed can be a potent force. They'd probably be on every state's ballot and the combined money of their previous Presidential Runs was nearly 2 million dollars and the LP got 1 vote for every $2.75 spent. If we could combine them, and harness some of the RP energy, we could make a splash.

How about a GP/CP/LP coalition? left/right/center coalition i'll call it

mdh
05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
How exactly is CP right and LP center? The CP and LP are both 'up'.

Re-evaluate your nolan chart, man. ;)

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 01:29 AM
How exactly is CP right and LP center? The CP and LP are both 'up'.

Re-evaluate your nolan chart, man. ;)

That's kind of irrelevant. CP people believe in imposng moral wills on others, while the LP is more "up" than "center," but it's still "center" imo.

Bradley in DC
05-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I've worked with Bob Barr for ten years and spelled out my case for his House re-election here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=136012

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 01:35 AM
I've worked with Bob Barr for ten years and spelled out my case for his House re-election here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=136012

Yeah, you're a lobbyist so you've worked with him a lot I bet ;) LOL

Bradley in DC
05-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Yeah, you're a lobbyist ;) LOL

Yeah, I've debunked you on that point previously. :p

paulaholic
05-06-2008, 06:00 AM

This guy is the epitomy of fringe. The picture on the homepage cracks me up.

pcosmar
05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
This guy is the epitomy of fringe. The picture on the homepage cracks me up.

I don't know what you are talking about.
Appearances ?
The guy looks normal to me.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/701275674_52b10b5f87.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2294499849_47232f9f64.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2470926038_4d4385d153.jpg?v=0

All the same guy on different days.
Appearances can be deceptive, and should not be used to judge character.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
How about a GP/CP/LP coalition? left/right/center coalition i'll call it

There's a reason there are three parties - they have irreconcilable differences. I would never vote for a GP member and probably not any CP members unless they had a shot at winning.

The only thing the three have in common is that all rights derive from property, and the GP - occasionally the CP even - have platforms that overstep government's inherent authority, which is only to protect against the loss of protection due to aggression.

paulaholic
05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't know what you are talking about.
Appearances ?
The guy looks normal to me.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1183/701275674_52b10b5f87.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2294499849_47232f9f64.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2470926038_4d4385d153.jpg?v=0

All the same guy on different days.
Appearances can be deceptive, and should not be used to judge character.

I wasn't talking solely about his appearance, but rather his issue statements in conjunction with the nutty photos.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 01:45 PM
There's a reason there are three parties - they have irreconcilable differences. I would never vote for a GP member and probably not any CP members unless they had a shot at winning.

The only thing the three have in common is that all rights derive from property, and the GP - occasionally the CP even - have platforms that overstep government's inherent authority, which is only to protect against the loss of protection due to aggression.

I guess you're not familar with party coalitions, huh?

Kludge
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I guess you're not familar with party coalitions, huh?

Sure I am. I was involved with Michigan Third Parties Coalition (http://www.mithirdparties.org/) for a while. However, I see no benefits from forming a coalition with the aforementioned parties - what is sought to be accomplished?

I think it'd be more beneficial just to have the CP and various reform/taxpayer parties join into the much larger LP.

dvdrink
05-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Jesse "The Libertarian" Ventura

nate895
05-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Chuck Baldwin is a Ron Paul clone. If you disagree with Baldwin enough to pick someone like Barr over him, you need to ask yourself if you truly support Ron Paul.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Chuck Baldwin is a Ron Paul clone. If you disagree with Baldwin enough to pick someone like Barr over him, you need to ask yourself if you truly support Ron Paul.

I support Ruwart over Baldwin. :) Third party candidates are only a spokesperson for the party's ideas, and for me - Ruwart is a nearly flawless speaker-on-my-behalf.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I support Ruwart over Baldwin. :) Third party candidates are only a spokesperson for the party's ideas, and for me - Ruwart is a nearly flawless speaker-on-my-behalf.

her answer to animal abuse:

"I certainly would want to live in a society where animals were not mistreated. In a libertarian society, a person who abused their animals would most likely be visited by concerned neighbors. If the abuser showed no remorse, the neighbors might ostracize the abuser, refusing to associate or do business with him or her.

"If the abuse continued, the neighbors might attempt to rescue the suffering animals. If the abuser sued, a libertarian jury would have to decide if he or she was due compensation.

"If compensation was awarded to the abuser, the rescuers might gladly pay it as a cost of saving the animals. Such compensation might allow the abuser to save face, but the public exposure would likely dissuade him or her from purchasing more animals to abuse.

"Animals 'rights' might evolve in a libertarian society through the failure of juries to award abusers compensation for the rescued animals. Failure to award compensation would essentially be a verdict of 'not property.' Prior to the Civil War, juries acknowledged rights of escaped slaves by returning a verdict of 'not guilty' when they or their rescuers were captured.

That sounds like an anarchocapitalist argument. I wonder if she's really an ancap. Just tell her to not campaign on this issue by saying she will do nothing lol

Kludge
05-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I certainly would want to live in a society where animals were not mistreated. In a libertarian society, a person who abused their animals would most likely be visited by concerned neighbors. If the abuser showed no remorse, the neighbors might ostracize the abuser, refusing to associate or do business with him or her.

That sounds like an anarchocapitalist argument. I wonder if she's really an ancap.

*shrug* That's the argument I'd make. Animals have no rights as they are property and all rights stem from property.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
*shrug* That's the argument I'd make. Animals have no rights as they are property and all rights stem from property.

You can't make an argument like that to voters that aren't in the LP.

She supports the death penalty ew

Kludge
05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
You can't make an argument like that to voters that aren't in the LP.

She supports the death penalty ew

"I suspect that we have a misunderstanding rather than a disagreement.

"You are correct in pointing out that the state cannot take possession of another's life. However, the victim(s) of an aggressor might be able to lay claim to that aggressor's life as compensation for injury.

"For example, a child is tortured and murdered by an assailant, who shows no sign of repentance and is suspected to have committed such atrocities previously. In most libertarian societies, the parents would want the aggressor imprisoned indefinitely, in addition to any monetary compensation that they might request.

"However, if the parents felt that they would only find solace in the murderer's death, a libertarian court might decide that the parents (not the state) do have a right to the killer's life as compensation for their child's murder. If the state actually handled the execution, it would be acting only as an agent for the parents.

"That's just one theory. As you note, libertarians do indeed disagree over such questions regarding capital punishment."" - Ruwart

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
So? Capital punishment is never necessary!

Kludge
05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
So? Capital punishment is never necessary!

Neither is fining the person, sending them to prison or otherwise punishing them.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Neither is fining the person, sending them to prison or otherwise punishing them.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Us anarchists can eradicate capital punishment legitimately, effectively ending one of most brutal actions carried out by statism.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

o.0 Then how do you propose lawbreakers are dealt with?

Richie
05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm with Brent. Even though I've been a strong supporter of Barr in the past (he's starting to grow on me in a bad way, though) and still am one, he isn't even in right now - so Ruwart it is.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
o.0 Then how do you propose lawbreakers are dealt with?

Well, we can only repeal the laws that the people will tolerate. Public is ready to eradicate capital punishment entirely (milestone) but not ready to eliminate the penal system. One step at a time. I think the system should be reformed though. We should look at nations with the least amount of crime and study their systems and maybe adopt some reforms in the US.

nate895
05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, we can only repeal the laws that the people will tolerate. Public is ready to eradicate capital punishment entirely (milestone) but not ready to eliminate the penal system. One step at a time. I think the system should be reformed though. We should look at nations with the least amount of crime and study their systems and maybe adopt some reforms in the US.

Ultimately eradicate the penal system? Have you lost your mind?

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultimately eradicate the penal system? Have you lost your mind?

Wouldn't a self-governing society be ideal? I hope overcrowded prisons is not the utopia you envision.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Wouldn't a self-governing society be ideal? I hope overcrowded prisons is not the utopia you envision.

I don't envision a self-governing society - wait.... Weren't you just associating Ruwart to anarcho-capitalism negatively???

I'm a.... "minarcho-capitalist", believing government only has the right to protect against direct aggression towards property (and punish those who violate the sacred right of property) - funded primarily by donations.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't envision a self-governing society - wait.... Weren't you just associating Ruwart to anarcho-capitalism negatively???

I'm a.... "minarcho-capitalist", believing government only has the right to protect against direct aggression towards property (and punish those who violate the sacred right of property) - funded primarily by donations.

I don't know, was I? hmm. I'm a "democratic voluntaryist" whatever that means. It just feels right. I'm generally anti-government but I do believe in working within and with government in order to change things. If you can, that's great.

nate895
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM

I hope to have a self-governing society. I don't see how a self-governing society can't lock up the members of society who violate the other citizens'/free men's rights

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope to have a self-governing society. I don't see how a self-governing society can't lock up the members of society who violate the other citizens'/free men's rights

well.. then you'd be imposing your will on them. I guess you're a minarchist. That's fine. I know we can't just eradicate the penal system. I think we can help guide the people by repealing laws and slowly lessening the interference of government. It's a gradual process imo. The free market "free people" also isn't always capitalistic. Free people take part in many voluntary things, even in socialism. (families, communes, community projects)

nate895
05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
well.. then you'd be imposing your will on them. I guess you're a minarchist. That's fine. I know we can't just eradicate the penal system. I think we can help guide the people by repealing laws and slowly lessening the interference of government. It's a gradual process imo. The free market "free people" also isn't always capitalistic. Free people take part in many voluntary things, even in socialism. (families, communes, community projects)

Socialism, however, violates property rights. Therefore, it is against the natural law to have a socialist system.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Socialism, however, violates property rights. Therefore, it is against the natural law to have a socialist system.

socialist system... did I say that? no. I'm talking about the voluntary kind. Anyway, I personally think we're stuck with involuntary government for a long time.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Voluntary "socialism" doesn't impede on private rights - so long as an all-covering contract was signed by all members participating.

nate895
05-06-2008, 06:17 PM
socialist system... did I say that? no. I'm talking about the voluntary kind. Anyway, I personally think we're stuck with involuntary government for a long time.

I think the people who believe in no government should get to pick their little corner of the world they want, and they can try it out and see how well it works out for them.

Kludge
05-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I think the people who believe in no government should get to pick their little corner of the world they want, and they can try it out and see how well it works out for them.

I should update my avatar someday to better reflect my views...

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 06:33 PM

There is no place to choose from. I think you should respect other people's beliefs.

amy31416
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Who cares? BJ is winning his primary folks!

This is the future of the movement, not the LP nominee!

This is how we bring the ideals of the libertarian party into reality! WOOHOO!

nate895
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
There is no place to choose from. I think you should respect other people's beliefs.

I respect them, it's just you're never going to win in an election, at least in the next 500 or so year, so I think if you got your little corner of the globe, and it worked out, people would follow you. If it doesn't work, well, good thing the rest of the world didn't adopt the plan.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I respect them, it's just you're never going to win in an election, at least in the next 500 or so year, so I think if you got your little corner of the globe, and it worked out, people would follow you. If it doesn't work, well, good thing the rest of the world didn't adopt the plan.

Who says I would run on this platform? I'm not in your fringe.

OptionsTrader
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
None of the above.

mdh
05-06-2008, 07:18 PM

Too bad the rest of the world has adopted (at the end of a gun barrel) the tyranny plan. It isn't working out too well for regular folks!

Kludge
05-16-2008, 12:15 AM
bump

Anti Federalist
05-16-2008, 05:26 AM

Phillies = Ghemminger?:D

Seriously, Barr.

My wife and I argued a bit over this.

She is of the opinion that, having once been a neo-con, and not being completely pure on Iraq withdrawal, among other things, he is not to be trusted.

I look at it this way: what is the purpose of all our hollering from the rooftops?

To bring people to the message of freedom, to "convert" them, to offer them the "red pill".

To then reject them, when they truly do have an epiphany, as I believe Barr has, and have a track record of winning elections, as Barr has, doesn't make much sense.

Brent Canada
05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Barr is not a Libertarian.

Someone who supports the war on drugs so strongly, automatically disqualifies themselves from being a libertarian.

He may of changed his mind on some things which is good.

But it's like having a white guy, being the leader of the Black Panthers. No matter what his views are, it just can't happen.

Bradley in DC
05-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Barr is not a Libertarian.

Barr is a member of the Libertarian National Committee and has been a member of the Libertarian Party for a few years and was always generally libertarian.

Someone who supports the war on drugs so strongly, automatically disqualifies themselves from being a libertarian.

He may of changed his mind on some things which is good.

He doesn't think the war on drugs is a federal issue and has lobbied for Marijuana Policy Project. ;)

Brent Canada
05-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Barr is a member of the Libertarian National Committee and has been a member of the Libertarian Party for a few years and was always generally libertarian.

He doesn't think the war on drugs is a federal issue and has lobbied for Marijuana Policy Project. ;)

He's still for keeping all other drugs illegal. He's a pseudo-libertarian.

Bradley in DC
05-16-2008, 06:34 AM
He's still for keeping all other drugs illegal. He's a pseudo-libertarian.

No, you're not getting it, his position is now the same as Dr. Paul's that it isn't a federal issue and that he is running for federal office and that he wouldn't interfere with what states do (same as Dr. Paul).