PDA

View Full Version : English As Official Language?

rational thinker
05-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Do you think that English should be made the official language of the United States of America? Why or why not?

Kludge
05-04-2008, 10:42 PM
No. There's no reason to.

rational thinker
05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I agree as well, but it seems that many Ron Paul supporters whom are against amnesty for illegal immigrants see this as a solution to stop it.

nate895
05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes, you should only be able to vote in English. Also, the gov't. should only publish in English.

Bradley in DC
05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
English already is the official language. It is the language of the Congress, etc., in which we conduct our official business.

But no, we do not want a "national language" with armed national language police running around causing unnecessary trouble. We want liberty and fewer laws, not more.

sophocles07
05-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I see no reason why the state should be allowed to dictate a "national" language. It seems to promote ignorance.

cjhowe
05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
This is a redress of government issue. This presents a very slippery slope. Once you say that it's within the purview of the government to dictate what language you demand accountability from your government, the types of demands you're allowed to make will soon follow. Followed by who may make such demands.

majinkoola
05-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I think the business the federal gov't conducts should be in English. I think they shouldn't determine how the states do it. The states that would be most affected by this, the ones in the Southwest, would likely vote to conduct business in only English. What certainly shouldn't be forced upon gov't institutions are multiple languages.

SeanEdwards
05-05-2008, 04:04 AM
I think it's a totally stupid notion.

I'd be much more interested in seeing the U.S. adopt the metric system as the official measuring system. That's actually important to me. Not this silliness of defending a language that doesn't need defenders. English is a bully of a language that follows other languages into dark alleys, kicks their asses, steals their vocabularies and laughs at them. It's other countries that have to defend themselves from English.