PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man - Relevant to war profiteering

leonster
05-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Has anyone seen this movie?

I'm not even a superhero movie fan--but this one is awesome. And it has a message relevant to the futility of involvement in overseas wars (in the movie--Afghanistan) where we often can't control the situation anyways, and arms manufacturers' support of said wars, as they can then sell arms to both sides...

If you've seen it... any comments? :)

garrettwombat
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
"why we fight" is way better...

leonster
05-04-2008, 08:01 AM
"why we fight" is way better...

Haven't heard of it, here in Korea.

Just saying... to see that theme in a summer blockbuster was quite refreshing. Especially when the beginning seemed like it could be a "rah rah go America, kick their asses" type thing.

TastyWheat
05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Awesome movie. It did make me think though. Could we create peace by making fewer weapons? Instinctively I say no, but shooting up schools and bombing mosques is relatively easy as it stands.

RSLudlum
05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
haven't seen it but will the average joe understand the connection you've made??

yongrel
05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
http://vargucci.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/ironman-08preview-lg.jpg

Fields
05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
What happens if he farts in there?

kigol
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
movie looks good.

yongrel
05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
What happens if he farts in there?

http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/7/7/downeyjr.jpg

Nate SY
05-04-2008, 08:15 PM
haven't seen it but will the average joe understand the connection you've made??

The movie practically yells it at you. Not positive if they actually said it or not, but it's a pretty simple connection to make.

Good movie too.

VTV
05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Being a huge comic book fan, along with a friend of mine, we wondered as people often do before super hero movies who the villian will be. In this case it was the Military industrial complex. I was so happy with this movie. And it proves to me again that some people in Hollywood are sending a subtle message. Like in "V for Vendetta"

"Artists use lies to tell the truth where as politicians use lies to cover it up."

When you take a look at movies like V for Vendetta, The Matrix, Iron Man, etc. These are mainstream movies that appeal to all audiences but still tell the message.

I remember it very clearly when I watched the last three installments of Star wars. Thinking that George Lucas who makes a lot of money probably knows a lot more then he lets on.

Consider it.

A Senator who becomes Chancellor (President) and conspires to create a false war that allows him to lull the democracy he is part of into allowing him to pass legislation to take more and more power away from the people.

He exterminates the only guardian of that freedom. (The Jedi/Constitution)

And he corrupts a hero to help him do it.

Are these movies an attempt to reach the people who are still sleeping? I know V for Vendetta changed my life. As did the Matrix. And already being a Star wars Fan the message absolutely screamed at me.

http://www.raymondpowell.com/misc/neil/RonPaulJedi.jpg

STRONG in the force is this one!

AutoDas
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
a lot of liberals hate the military industrial complex as much as we do

VTV
05-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Liberals or not. If we can't unite to defend our civil liberties the liberals will be sitting next to us in the same FEMA camps as everyone else.

RSLudlum
05-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Being a huge comic book fan, along with a friend of mine, we wondered as people often do before super hero movies who the villian will be. In this case it was the Military industrial complex. I was so happy with this movie. And it proves to me again that some people in Hollywood are sending a subtle message. Like in "V for Vendetta"

"Artists use lies to tell the truth where as politicians use lies to cover it up."

When you take a look at movies like V for Vendetta, The Matrix, Iron Man, etc. These are mainstream movies that appeal to all audiences but still tell the message.

I just caught part of "The Astronaut Farmer" last night and saw a common thread throughout the movie about the govt's use of force to prevent people from using the freedoms they think they have. The patriot act was mentioned, the NASA program having a bloated budget that didn't want to be outdown by a farmer on a shoestring budget therefore threatening financial and family ruin,,etc. These factors in the movie really kept me interested in it. To tell you the truth I had blown the movie off as some cliche Disney movie, but it shined light on some very fundamental issues about the US Gov't. Now I wonder how many viewers actually believe this is how the gov't works against the people, or just considered it total fiction, or even saw/thought about the connection at all?? :(

SeanEdwards
05-04-2008, 09:11 PM
And it proves to me again that some people in Hollywood are sending a subtle message. Like in "V for Vendetta"

"V for Vendetta" was subtle?

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

VTV
05-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Now that I know that, I will be sure to see that movie.

VTV
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
"V for Vendetta" was subtle?

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

You missed my point. If you read further it's the quote from Eavey Hammond below that. That artists use lies to tell the truth.

rayzer
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
A Senator who becomes Chancellor (President) and conspires to create a false war that allows him to lull the democracy he is part of into allowing him to pass legislation to take more and more power away from the people.

He exterminates the only guardian of that freedom. (The Jedi/Constitution)

And he corrupts a hero to help him do it.

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy." -Anakin Skywalker / George "Dubya"

"Only Siths speak in absolutes!" -Obi-Wan Kenobi

bcreps85
05-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Saw it tonight, great movie. For anyone paying attention, I think it did a good job of showing that horrible things can be caused by even the best intentions. The US should never ship ANY weapons outside of our own country IMO, not even to the most respectable allies (of which we have few...or none) -- once they are out of here we have no control over where they go.