PDA

View Full Version : The Revolution: A Manifesto Sells Out

Recession
05-04-2008, 06:39 AM
amazon.com — After three days as #1 on Amazon.com the site now claims up to a 10 week delay shipping new orders. Every book store here in Orlando, FL is also sold out with similar claims around the country. The book will debut as #7 on the NYT bestsellers list this week after its launch days ago.

h ttp://digg.com/2008_us_elections/The_Revolution_A_Manifesto_Sells_Out

Glad I got my copy already :p

[rph-link broken as per request, please digg by copy>paste>remove space... thanks]

ronpaulhawaii
05-04-2008, 07:25 AM
dugg

constituent
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
depressing.

frankly, i'm getting tired of everyone being "surprised" by the success.

that line is played out.

dugg.

brunner
05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Dugg!

RPH, if you're still around, could you break the link in the OP for maximum effectiveness?

(I can't remember why that's supposed to work better, perhaps because digg adds a penalty if all of the users are coming from the same website, or something along those lines.)

hillertexas
05-04-2008, 07:59 AM
dugg

NightOwl
05-04-2008, 08:39 AM
depressing.

that line is played out.

dugg.

In defense of the stores, though, they probably figured: we've stocked Ron Paul books before (particularly A Foreign Policy of Freedom), and they don't sell particularly well (that's because they had no marketing campaign behind them). Two copies at a time seemed sufficient.

They figured this book would be the same. A huge error, yes, but not completely absurd.

forsmant
05-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Well a lot of people on these forums bought multiple copies. Some people bought 10 or more. That kind of skews the numbers but oh well. It is good to be in the news.

WRellim
05-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Well a lot of people on these forums bought multiple copies. Some people bought 10 or more. That kind of skews the numbers but oh well. It is good to be in the news.

Oh, it does more than "kind of" skews the numbers... it whacks them upside the head with a 2x4 and makes them completely inaccurate... you know, like a speculative "boom" ...a false picture of reality.

Unless he can get on the Oprah reading list thingee... and does the WHOLE round of interviews, etc.

I'm surprised that the NYT BestSeller listing didn't "exclude" it -- regardless of initital sales numbers -- simply on the basis that they were aware of a "scheme" (websites, etc) to do just that -- falsely inflate the short-term sales numbers. (But than again, maybe they weren't aware of it.

Only time will tell if the REAL sales volume is actually there ...and booksellers may hold back on stocking more than a few copies simply in order to NOT get stuck "holding the bag" (depending on what Grand Central's policy is).

brunner
05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm surprised that the NYT BestSeller listing didn't "exclude" it -- regardless of initital sales numbers -- simply on the basis that they were aware of a "scheme" (websites, etc) to do just that -- falsely inflate the short-term sales numbers. (But than again, maybe they weren't aware of it.

What's false about it? People are buying copies of the book! It's not like the publisher is giving away copies to all the Ron Paul supporters and then counting the freebies as real sales.

Ron Paul's book is selling well because there is a market for his book, in part due to his fan-base.

In that respect, this is no different than Colbert viewers buying Colbert's book because they are fans of his, or Bill O watchers buying Bill O's book, Obama, etc.

I suppose they don't deserve to be on any bestsellers lists either, right?

Yes, only books bought by people who hate the authors should count as actual book sales.

Maybe you just underestimate how many people want to hear what Dr. Paul has to say.

DjLoTi
05-04-2008, 10:40 AM

that line is played out.

You're so right. This whole campaign has been nothing but 'surprises', with the only thing not surprising is that he didn't win.

*edit* before people jump on me for h8ing, let me say my biggest surprise was that he did so poorly :-/ relatively speaking, though. Electing a president isn't easy... I've just heard Ron Paul and his campaign say time and time and time X100000 .. ' gosh we're so surprised of the support '

V4Vendetta
05-04-2008, 10:43 AM
All Houston Book Stores sold out yesterday

And Yes, I mean ALL of them

MikeSmith
05-04-2008, 10:50 AM
barnesandnoble.com still has them.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Revolution/Ron-Paul/e/9780446537513/?cds2Pid=17351

Also, apparently a bunch of barnes & noble's near me still have them in stock as well.

me3
05-04-2008, 12:33 PM
The Revolution is still available at the Mises store..

http://www.mises.org/store/Revolution-The-A-Manefesto-P481.aspx?AFID=14

:)

kigol
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM

ditto.

airborne373
05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Awesome news. I can see the spin now.

Faux News Alert!: Handful of devoted Ron Paul Bots use the internet to spam Congressman's Paul new book, "The Revolution, A Manifesto" to number one on Amazon. They were also able to raise enough money from doing extra chores at home (as most Paulites still live with their parents) to purchase most available copies from local book sellers. Sean Hannity was reported saying, "Here they go again."

Agora
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
dugg

HOLLYWOOD
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Hmm... maybe Amazon.com only ordered a 100K copies?

Barnes & Nobles has copies and ships within 2-3 days.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Revolution/Ron-Paul/e/9780446537513/?itm=1 (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Revolution/Ron-Paul/e/9780446537513/?itm=1)

There's a bunch of Ron Paul's "The Revolution" FOR SALE on EBay...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ron+paul+the+revolution&category0= (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ron+paul+the+revolution&category0=)

here's the hits:

Truth Warrior
05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
The product supply and distribution side grossly underestimated the product demand side. Crank up the presses. :)

pinkmandy
05-04-2008, 01:57 PM
It doesn't matter that people buy several copies imo since I'd guarantee that EVERY copy finds its way into the hands of someone who will read it. RP supporters don't buy extra books to hoarde them- they give them away. I guess there could be a few out there with a couple cases of Manifesto books locked away somewhere but I doubt it. I bought 2 copies. So far FOUR people have read them, soon to be five. :)