PDA

View Full Version : "As Maine goes..."...The rest of the Union better do better

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 04:56 AM
These are estimates and initial observations ONLY, and we may have more accurate numbers to report later. However, we had about 190-200 delegates to the state convention out of a total of 750-800, so there was no way we could have accomplished what some states did that had a majority of delegates to their state conventions.

We were fairly disorganized and had no parliamentarian, so those were also limiting factors. However, we achieved the following minor successes:

1. 1 delegate to the national convention (of 21): Patrick Eisenhart of Kennebec County.
2. 3 members to the Republican state committee (about 50-55 members) including yours truly.
3. 2 changes to the state party platform, including one which would require Republican candidates to sign the "Taxpayer's Pledge" to never vote for an increase of taxes if elected, and another that would require Republican elected officials to work for a balanced budget and a law requiring a 2/3 majority in both houses to raise taxes.

Other than, we were pretty well contained and handcuffed by rules that did not even allow our candidates for national delegate or alternate to even speak.

I made a motion early on during the first morning that all Presidential candidates be given the opportunity to have a speech on their behalf, and was immediately shot down. Still, we were promised a 4-minute video during the convention after many folks (not all just RP people) complained to ME party leadership. What we got was about a one-minute DVD clip during lunch recess--when practically nobody was in the room at all.

A disappointing 3 days for sure--but we accomplished a few things, and we certainly spread the word and won some converts.

Fields
05-04-2008, 04:57 AM
Missed you Steve.

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks. I hadn't been posting in recent weeks because I had been too busy making calls and working the GOTV effort for this..

Badger Paul
05-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Good work Steve! Thanks for getting what you could.

MozoVote
05-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Of the remaining states, only Montana and Washington stand a serious chance of having Paul-majority delegations. I think the delegation ratio you saw here is how most states will be.

The real challenge of a Paul bloc is to learn how to use it's numbers as part of a "swing vote" on closely debated issues, and to have some people well-versed in Robert's Rules that can keep these chairmen on their toes. They are accustomed to a crowd of groupthink, that does not contest things.

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Loads of promises broken...

Some advice for other states:

1. JMO, but...DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU ARE TOLD by GOP hacks. Be prepared for and EXPECT the worst from them, and that is what you will get.

2. The only thing I will say is that the chairwoman of our convention was pretty fair, I thought, though I am no parliamentarian. The parliamentarian we might have had had his credentials challenged, made an ugly scene up by the podium, and was drug out by security.

3. Be sure you can trust any staff hired by Arlington in your state, and work closely with PROVEN grassroots leaders to insure they are intimately involved with every detail of GOTV efforts and convention strategy.

4. If you hold any sort of pre-convention planning meeting do not permit anyone to call a pre-convention planning meeting that is anywhere near any place frequented by GOP hacks, and have TIGHT security for all those that come in and declare they are RP supporters. In our state, we actually held our pre-convention planning meeting in the same building as where the convention began the next morning, the state Republican meeting was going on right above us upstairs in another room, and the Vice-Chair of the Maine GOP walked in right in the middle of our sensitive discussions and gave us a "welcome." Not good, IMHO...

brandon
05-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the hard work steve.

What exactly does a state committeeman do? I think they give out the party endorsements, but do they do anything else? Is it a paid position?

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
State Committeeman is a member of the RNC and an automatic delegate to the national convention. I was told it is not even a paid position.

leonster
05-04-2008, 07:58 AM
What lessons can we take away from NV and ME?

Two suggestions for a start:

1. Gauge support. If its majority RP (probably rare), and there's even a hint of things being "railroaded"... have someone (preferably someone who isnt known to be an RP supporter, wearing a suit, etc.--to get recognized to speak for the motion), move to elect a new chairman.

2. If minority support... don't form a bloc. Sit dispersed among the crowd, chat with people, let them know we're not hostile--just looking to represent traditional conservative values that have fallen by the wayside. Let them know you support RP, sure... but refer frequently to Reagan, Goldwater, etc. Focus on the size of government, etc., chat about amendments to the platform that will be offered up and why they make sense for Republicans. Basically--make friends, try to open people's minds as a friend rather than making a bloc to be feared. (You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...)

MozoVote
05-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Right now I think there is an assumption on the GOP leadership's part that the Paul movement is a "flash in the pan". Kind of like Perot's days. It's just a storm to weather, and all the Paul-minded delegates will become frustrated/bored and will go away.

That perception will change if we are still around next year for party elections. Attendance at the off-year elections is low, and people seeking party offices will be looking to get our votes. That starts an immediate segue into discussing Constitutional law, small government, personal liberty, etc...

I think the important lesson this year, is to show the party establishment that we do show up and do vote. Lay the seeds for the future.

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 08:24 AM
leonster,

I agree totally...UNLESS...you are 40% or more in your RP bloc, and have made pre-convention efforts to reach out to Romney and Huckabee people. Then, you can take a more "hard line" and "go-for-the-throat" approach...the same way they do.

MozoVote,

Right on!

MS0453
05-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Good work Steve! Thanks for getting what you could.

Agreed. Congratulations on what was able to be accomplished.

angelatc
05-04-2008, 09:22 AM
1. 1 delegate to the national convention (of 21): Patrick Eisenhart of Kennebec County.
2. 3 members to the Republican state committee (about 50-55 members) including yours truly.
3. 2 changes to the state party platform, including one which would require Republican candidates to sign the "Taxpayer's Pledge" to never vote for an increase of taxes if elected, and another that would require Republican elected officials to work for a balanced budget and a law requiring a 2/3 majority in both houses to raise taxes.

hed a few things, and we certainly spread the word and won some converts.

You did great! You've put the groundwork in place for the next set of elections.

Badger Paul
05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Make sure you keep up to date with party activities for 2009 because that's when the attendance will be really low and that's where we can make our advances, especially if there's no GOP President or Congressional leader to pay homage to.

Do rule out Minnesota just yet, they've got eight CD delegates and will reportedly will have a sizeable Ron Paul contingent at their convention May 29-31 in Rochester.

Make sure to spread around the advice so our delegates in Hawaii, Washington, Montanta and Minnesota knwo what to plan for.

speciallyblend
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
reading these events at the conventions,makes me hope the gop loses the general election.

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I know this as an open forum an all, but...just so you all know:
http://www.asmainegoes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55024&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

josephadel_3
05-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Steve, why was your motion ruled "out of order"? What is out of order about granting us a speaker? This whole thing was very discouraging. I feel dirty.

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Jose,

I knew it was out of order before I made it, and that I needed to have been recognized a few seconds earlier as they were voting on adoption of the convention agenda. I could not get the chair's attention earlier-- though I tried. It was a shame there were not microphones available for people to be heard.

What we voted on just prior to my motion precluded any chance of my motion receiving any consideration from the chair. However, I decided to do it anyway--just to be heard. As a result we got a 30-second video clip of RP during the lunch recess with about 50 people in the room...lol...Oh well...I tried!

MozoVote
05-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Reading through the "AsMaineGoes" forum confirmed something I had suspected... the platform amendments were too verbose or complex. All it took was a few words in an otherwise good amendment to make the mainstreamer's uncomfortable.

Lesson to other states: Keep the amendments short, and to the point. Better to throw many darts... some will hit. (An amendment with several paragraphs could be separated via parliamentary procedure, but probably won't be. The "question will be called", and the whole thing sunk.)

SteveMartin
05-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Read pages 11 and forward of the AsMaineGoes.com link I gave.

We had a mole.

MozoVote
05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Sounds like another lesson is to sprinkle your amendments among your caucus and let different individuals submit them. Preferably people in your bloc that did not donate to Ron Paul - and cannot be located on the FEC donor list. Gotta keep the party apparachniks guessing what amendments are "Paul form" ! ;)

CGMike
05-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Our one long amendment...I had quite a few people come up to me from Cumberland County and tell me that if we had removed the first two items from it (sound money and abolish a bunch of agencies for those that don't know), many more people would have voted for it. I'll be back in Augusta again in 2 years, and I hope that our core group remains strong and committed.

josephadel_3
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
What will be done at convention in 2010? More platform stuff? Is there a national convention in 2010?

CGMike
05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
2010 is just another round of leadership changes....county/state committeemen, as well as Congressional elections again and I think Gov. is up in 2010 as well in Maine. There is no national convention, so no national delegate elections but there will be a caucus to elect state delegates again.

Rangeley
05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Plus the platform will get set again, so it will definitely be an important event.

SteveMartin
05-09-2008, 09:25 PM
You guys need to check out this cartoon that appeared in the Bangor Daily News 2 days after our convention!:

http://bangornews.com/news/t/danby.aspx?articleid=163967&zoneid=166

DARN, I'm so proud of that!

Bradley in DC
05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
You guys need to check out this cartoon that appeared in the Bangor Daily News 2 days after our convention!:

Congratulation!

http://bangornews.com/news/articlefiles/163967-050608danby.gif

SteveMartin
05-10-2008, 07:00 AM
bump

Aratus
05-10-2008, 09:32 AM
seriously SteveMartin, be VERY proud! ...when Gentleman Mitt has to keep his troops loyal!!!

Aratus
05-10-2008, 09:34 AM
just tell yourself it took mitt "centrist" romney's own good word for maine's republican establishment to cotton
to john mccain! the irony of governor mitt verses candidate mitt and all his flipflops! you did very well, SteveMartin!!!

RonPaulFever
05-10-2008, 09:41 AM
just tell yourself it took mitt "centrist" romney's own good word for maine's republican establishment to cotton
to john mccain! the irony of governor mitt verses candidate mitt and all his flipflops! you did very well, SteveMartin!!!

I am so sick of reading your bullshit posts

Aratus
05-10-2008, 09:54 AM
mitt romney carried the bay state, maine and utah! he spoke at the augusta convention.
the cartoon shows how the local bangor paper saw the events of the convention!!! mitt
was our governor, he had the backing of many of the mainstream republicans. massachusetts
tends to go liberal or independent, and to project himself onto the national stage, he pitched
himself as being more conservative. there is an old thread here going into his shifts...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=119270 mitt romney has covered
the spectrum in a surprisingly long and energetic political life, he begins life as a senator's son,
and comes very near to the presidency himself. mccain needed his support up in maine and
new england to have things go his way at augusta's state convention and the cartoon captures
how obligatory the process was! again, curiously enough... one of mitt romney's better speeches
that seemed to encapsule his views came when he suspended his campaign. i do respect the man...

Aratus
05-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Congratulation!

http://bangornews.com/news/articlefiles/163967-050608danby.gif

!!!

Aratus
05-10-2008, 09:58 AM

i do believe you are!!!

Aratus
05-10-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=135858 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjE9g-gFuh0

Aratus
05-17-2008, 11:54 AM
sigh... i was offline yesterday afternoon!

in less than 24 to 48 hours, the pundits wrote
ms. hillary out of things, obama's people are assuming a
discrete announcement will be shortly public after the next 2 primaries.
so its to be obama verses mccain, and as the washington week people on PBS
noticed last night, george w. bush has fired the first full republican salvo
from the mid-east, zingering a wimpish "senator" if not senators,
and trying to wear the cloak of FDR as he humbles the U.N!!!
was i missing something? didn't FDR allow the U.N to
come into being, so it could be a center-piece of
HARRY S. TRUMAN's subsequent
diplomacy...???

is Hillary actually totally on the ropes... now?
does her deep campaign debt restrict
her bid now? unlike Ron Paul?

Aratus
05-18-2008, 01:03 PM
SteveMartin... run for public office someday... locally!

Aratus
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
In light of the walkout MAINE did as a delegation at the recent RNC, its not the first time someone from Maine took Mitt to task!