PDA

View Full Version : The Manifesto DROPS to #2 on Amazon

Thomas_Paine
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
No great cause for alarm, but not the greatest news either. I believe that this has everything to do with Amazon running out-of-stock. So far independent booksellers have picked up the slack, but I think that many people (especially during a recession) want to get the free shipping offered from Amazon itself. They say they will be back to shipping orders May 9th, so hopefully there will be plenty of momentum to push it right back up to #1 (and hopefully stay there for a few weeks). You would think that the publisher would have been prepared for the inevitable "book bomb" when the book was released. It was probably Amazon's oversight in not buying enough stock for the opening week. If anyone here still hasn't bought a copy, now would be a great time.

jrich4rpaul
05-03-2008, 10:29 PM
No great cause for alarm, but not the greatest news either. I believe that this has everything to do with Amazon running out-of-stock. So far independent booksellers have picked up the slack, but I think that many people (especially during a recession) want to get the free shipping offered from Amazon itself. They say they will be back to shipping orders May 9th, so hopefully there will be plenty of momentum to push it right back up to #1 (and hopefully stay there for a few weeks). You would think that the publisher would have been prepared for the inevitable "book bomb" when the book was released. It was probably Amazon's oversight in not buying enough stock for the opening week. If anyone here still hasn't bought a copy, now would be a great time.

Buying it in regular stores is better anyway. When they see the book sell, they'll order more copies for the next shipment and have more on the shelves. This also is what determines it's standing on the New York Times Bestseller list.

DirtMcGirt
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
We (Dr. Paul) are getting beat out by an inspirational book by Randy Pausch, that is a great #1, #2, in my opinion...

The "Last Lecture"

Pausch delivered his "Last Lecture," titled "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams," at CMU on September 18, 2007.[7] This talk was modeled after an ongoing series of lectures where top academics are asked to think deeply about what matters to them, and then give a hypothetical "final talk," i.e., "what wisdom would you try to impart to the world if you knew it was your last chance?"

NightOwl
05-03-2008, 10:46 PM
You would think that the publisher would have been prepared for the inevitable "book bomb" when the book was released. It was probably Amazon's oversight in not buying enough stock for the opening week. If anyone here still hasn't bought a copy, now would be a great time.

It's definitely Amazon's oversight. Publishers can only fulfill Amazon's orders.