PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul jumps up in Iowa poll

Bradley in DC
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1351
Released: August 22, 2007
NewsMax/Zogby: Romney Builds Iowa Lead in GOP Prez Race

Huckabee also gets an Ames Straw Poll bump; while McCain tumbles dramatically to the mid-second tier

While his national polling numbers remain lower than other Republican presidential contenders, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has established a solid lead in the key first caucus state of Iowa, a fresh NewsMax/Zogby telephone survey shows.

Romney now leads among likely Republican caucus-goers in Iowa with 33% support, edging his nearest competitor - former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani - by 19 points. The survey comes just two weeks after the Ames Straw Poll in north central Iowa, where Romney swept to an easy victory over a field that did not include other top competitors, including Giuliani, former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, or Arizona Sen. John McCain.

While Giuliani fell four points from 18% to 14% since the last Zogby state survey in May, Thompson, who will reportedly enter the race officially just after Labor Day, increased his support to 12%, locking up the third-place slot in the GOP race.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee jumped to 8% in the survey, passing McCain on the strength of recent strong debate performances and a good showing in the Iowa straw poll. McCain has slipped from a solid second place in March all the way to fifth now, having lost two-thirds of his support since May. His campaign misfortune here mirrors his political tailspin nationally.

Republicans Aug. 17 May 15 March 28 Jan. 16

Romney 33% 19% 11% 5%

Giuliani 14% 18% 25% 19%

Fred Thompson 12% 9% 7% -

Huckabee 8% 2% 2% 1%

McCain 6% 18% 19% 17%

Tommy Thompson - 4% 5% 1%

Brownback 4% 2% 3% 1%

Tancredo 3% 3% 1% 2%

Paul 3% <1% <1% <1%

Hunter 1% <1% <1% <1%

Someone else 2% 3% 4% 1%

Not sure 14% 22% 22% 22%

The Newsmax/Zogby telephone survey, conducted August 17-18, 2007, included 487 likely Republican caucus-goers in Iowa and carries a margin of error of +/- 4.5 percentage points.

Iowa Republican caucus-goers appear to be getting more familiar with the candidates now - the number of undecideds in this latest survey dropped eight points from the Zogby survey in May.

Romney's strength crosses almost all age demographics. He leads among all age categories except those aged 18-24, where Giuliani is favored by the GOPers. The older the respondent, the more likely they are to support Romney, including those in the two key demographic groups. Among those aged 35-54, he holds an 11-point lead over Giuliani with Thompson finishing third, and he leads by 27 points over Thompson among those Iowa Republicans aged 55-69.

More GOP likely caucus-goers than not said they think the recent Ames Straw Poll is a good indicator of how the caucus - now scheduled for January - will turn out. While 47% said it is a good indicator, 43% said it will have no impact on the caucuses. Another 10% were unsure. Women were somewhat more likely than men to say it was a good indicator of the outcome of the caucuses.

Asked whether they believed the Republican candidate for president should generally carry on with the foreign and domestic policies of George W. Bush, 67% agreed he should, while 28% disagreed with that idea. The more conservative the respondent, the more likely they were to agree that the course set by Bush should be followed. However, older respondents were not so sure. Those aged 65 and older were somewhat less likely than younger respondents to agree.

While he lags well behind Romney overall, Giuliani is still seen as the go-to guy on terrorism, the poll showed. Asked which Republican presidential candidate is best suited to deal with another terror attack launched by Osama bin Laden against the U.S., 34% favored Giuliani, while 16% favored Romney. In third place on this question was McCain at 15%, and Thompson was trusted most by 8% to best deal with another terror attack. Giuliani's leadership over his rivals on this question cut across every demographic group.

For a complete methodological statement on this survey, please visit:

http://www.zogby.com/methodology/readmeth.dbm?ID=1209

(8/22/2007)

bc2208
08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
huckabee at 8%? yuck

risiusj
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
There's still about 18% that say that they are undecided (including T. Thompson's supporters), and it could be another 12% if F. Thompson doesn't even run.
If we got total conversion of just those 2 groups we would be at 33% and even with Romney. And that doesn't even include the people that aren't "likely Republican caucus-goers"

pyrazole2
08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
This is a telephone survey of [Republican Caucus Voters] conducted by Zogby International

hmmm, I just did the online Zogby survey on Sunday, wonder when that'll come out.

bc2208
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
hmmm, I just did the online Zogby survey on Sunday, wonder when that'll come out.

you got called on a presidential poll?

skiingff
08-22-2007, 11:18 AM
huckabee at 8%? yuck

Because of all the free media attention he was given... Wait til we get RP TV ads on the air in Iowa!!!

pyrazole2
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
no, not the phone poll, the interactive poll that they do every month. Been registered for the Zogby online polls forever, but first time I got a prez poll.

Slugg
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Because of all the free media attention he was given... Wait til we get RP TV ads on the air in Iowa!!!

Awesome!!!

Ninja Homer
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
So, 1% in the Zogby poll is to 9.1% in the Straw Poll as 3% in the Zogby poll is to X.

I'm not saying Ron Paul has 27.3% of the Republican voter base, but the caucus is a lot like the straw poll. Only a relatively small percentage of the voter base actually vote in the caucus, while a very high percentage of the Ron Paul supporters will vote.

jacmicwag
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
We've got our work cut out for us in Iowa. It will help if we can bring in some new blood to the caucuses. Otherwise it's not going to be pretty. If 67% want existing Bush policies to continue, that's over 2/3 of the people who will definitely not vote RP. On the flip side, if all the anti-Bush folks vote our way and the remaining candidates split the pro-Bush vote, we could still win (maybe).

wecandoit
08-22-2007, 12:07 PM
These polls should have a disclaimer printed in bold letter across the top:

MARGIN OF ERROR +/- 100%

Sean
08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
These polls are pretty accurate except I think Ron Paul's support is actually a few percentage points higher due to democrats and independents that are drawn to him. This does show he is growing in strength and that those that sat out the Straw poll seem to be hurt. Iowans can be pretty vindictive if you dis the straw poll.

R_Harris
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Am I the only one not encouraged by these numbers?

More time needs to be spent in the state in order that Romney's (or other candidates for that matter) numbers don't become solidified - because with the passage of time, it will become AWFULLY HARD to get them to change. Not getting serious until November would NOT be a good thing.

RP needs to starting reaching double digits in the polls - not just in the Iowa poll, but everywhere.

Time is running out.

LibertyEagle
08-22-2007, 03:47 PM
We've got our work cut out for us in Iowa. It will help if we can bring in some new blood to the caucuses. Otherwise it's not going to be pretty. If 67% want existing Bush policies to continue, that's over 2/3 of the people who will definitely not vote RP. On the flip side, if all the anti-Bush folks vote our way and the remaining candidates split the pro-Bush vote, we could still win (maybe).

There are a ton of people in Iowa who still don't know who Ron Paul is. What can we do to get the word out? We've run 2 ads in Ames. The big paper of Iowa, the Des Moines Register is too rich for our blood, so how do we get the word out best, to THE REST of Iowa?

Any ideas?

itsnobody
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
If we just pushed a little bit more Ron Paul would leap to at least 10% then eventually taking over after...

LibertyEagle
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Am I the only one not encouraged by these numbers?

More time needs to be spent in the state in order that Romney's (or other candidates for that matter) numbers don't become solidified - because with the passage of time, it will become AWFULLY HARD to get them to change. Not getting serious until November would NOT be a good thing.

RP needs to starting reaching double digits in the polls - not just in the Iowa poll, but everywhere.

Time is running out.

I'm not impressed either. We need to be doing something, but I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. Maybe a whole lot of different things.

LibertyEagle
08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
If we just pushed a little bit more Ron Paul would leap to at least 10% then eventually taking over after...

Yeah, but there is only so much of Dr. Paul to go around. Do we need some great people who could speak in his behalf to travel around doing so. I know someone else suggested having a Speakers' bureau. You know, of people who could be called upon to speak in his behalf and had worked on honing their talking points. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I personally have hoped that we could get people maybe like Barry Goldwater Jr. and even Pastor Chuck Baldwin (who is a big fan of Ron's) to do a route around Iowa and a couple other of key states in the bible belt. It seems to me that these 2 would blow the opposition completely out of the water.

Is there any possibility at all that we could get Barry Goldwater, Jr. fully on board to help in the campaign? :confused: