PDA

View Full Version : Third CIA officer backs Paul

slantedview
05-26-2007, 12:03 AM
For the third time this week, a retired CIA officer has told Antiwar Radio that U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East is the driving force in al Qaeda’s recruitment and motivation for attacking America on September 11th.

Ray McGovern, a 27 year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency, when asked Friday afternoon what he thought of the exchange between Congressman Ron Paul and Rudy Giuliani said (at 23:45 out of 43:23)

“I’m really edified by Ron Paul stepping up and stating what he believes to be the case.

“If you believe that they hate us for our democracy or for our freedoms, well I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn that I’d really like to sell you at a cut rate.

“They hate us for our policies and that’s what Ron Paul was saying. …

“Giuliani … really showed his true colors there as a demagogue.”

(more at the link below)

http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2007/05/25/third-cia-officer-confirms-ron-paul-right-about-roots-of-terrorism/

wwycher
05-26-2007, 12:13 AM
“Giuliani … really showed his true colors there as a demagogue.”
I am really wondering how Elmer Fudd is gonna try and wiggle out of this one?

tnvoter
05-26-2007, 12:55 AM
sweet

SeanEdwards
05-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Isn't it funny that all these CIA guys are speaking up for Paul, when Paul has stated that he'd like to get rid of the CIA? :D

JosephTheLibertarian
05-26-2007, 08:18 AM
He wants to get rid of the CIA? He probably has rationale to why, but I do think that PEACEFUL information gathering is a good thing. Can you imagine a Bush without intelligence? :D ha

angelatc
05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
No, he wants to use the CIA, or at least a CIA-like branch, for gathering intelligence, but the stuff like overthrowing other regimes and carrrying out assinsations would be things of the past.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Sounds good to me.

Suzu
05-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Can you imagine a Bush without intelligence? :D ha

No need for imagination there.

mesler
05-26-2007, 10:02 AM
These interviews are invaluable in convincing people that any candidate besides Paul is going to lead to massive deaths on our soil. Hannity and Giuliani can say whatever they want, but if you give someone 20 minutes alone with a Scheuer or any other CIA guy who has been researching this stuff for 20 years, and they'll come out convinced.

Don't underestimate these interviews! Make CDs out of them and hand them out to friends who commute.

qednick
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
He wants to get rid of the CIA? He probably has rationale to why, but I do think that PEACEFUL information gathering is a good thing. Can you imagine a Bush without intelligence? :D ha

Do we need the CIA when we have the NSA? Can't the essential parts of the CIA be dissolved into the NSA and then disband the remaining parts of the CIA? Or am I not understanding the difference between the CIA and the NSA? :confused:

Suzu
05-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Do we need the CIA when we have the NSA? Can't the essential parts of the CIA be dissolved into the NSA and then disband the remaining parts of the CIA? Or am I not understanding the difference between the CIA and the NSA? :confused:

You're not even supposed to know that the NSA exists ;)

qednick
05-26-2007, 11:26 AM
You're not even supposed to know that the NSA exists ;)

So you mean there really is an NSA? :eek: :rolleyes:

lbadragan
05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Do we need the CIA when we have the NSA? Can't the essential parts of the CIA be dissolved into the NSA and then disband the remaining parts of the CIA? Or am I not understanding the difference between the CIA and the NSA? :confused: The NSA only does intelligence gathering from the office chair. They don't have agents on the ground doing intelligence, they don't order executions, they don't do coups, etc... They gather information and file reports.

Whereas the CIA is more comprehensive in that they do electronic and boots on the ground intelligence, surveillance, special operations on foreign soil, etc... They can act as a classified, worldwide private army at the command of the President.

I would agree with you that we don't need the CIA. The unique intelligence capabilities of the CIA could be brought under the NSA and the military is more than capable of carrying out special operations.

One of the many failures of our defense establishment prior to 9/11 was a lack, reluctance, and slowness of information sharing between agencies. Phasing out the CIA would only enhance national security IMO.

Korey Kaczynski
05-26-2007, 08:26 PM

It's because bureaucrats want to expand their power, thus they take on other functions not originally intended for their departments.

SeanEdwards
05-26-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the NSA is focused on signals intelligence, i.e. phone taps, breaking encryption, etc. Whereas the CIA does that stuff too, but also does black bag stuff, like break-ins, disinformation, human intelligence from spies, counter-intelligence ops, etc.

The CIA has even done stuff like made artificial fish with microphones and whatnot for gathering intelligence. I'm dead serious.

angelatc
05-26-2007, 10:59 PM
The CIA has even done stuff like made artificial fish with microphones and whatnot for gathering intelligence. I'm dead serious.

That stuff's cool!

qednick
05-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the NSA is focused on signals intelligence, i.e. phone taps, breaking encryption, etc. Whereas the CIA does that stuff too, but also does black bag stuff, like break-ins, disinformation, human intelligence from spies, counter-intelligence ops, etc.

I'm checking our fish tank now :eek: