PDA

View Full Version : Maine Convention Update -- 5pm

hillertexas
05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
http://www.politickerme.com/jessicaalaimo/1471/convention-update-500-pm

Convention update: 5:00 p.m.
By Jessica Alaimo

The convention broke up into county caucuses about 45 minutes ago. Keynote speaker Mitt Romney will hold media availability at 6 and will address the convention at 7.

The national committeeman and committeewoman election process took far longer than expected, pushing the convention behind schedule. The winners of the two contests have not been announced.

The debate over the party platform was pushed back to tomorrow because of time constraints. Party officials expect it to be a lively discussion – five amendments to the proposed platform were submitted but will not be made public until they are presented.

Congressional candidates were given a chance to speak after the RNC election process, but each had to cut their presentations back by five minutes.

John Frary, who is running in the Second Congressional District, and representatives of Charlie Summers, who is running in the First Congressional District, obeyed. Convention officials had to pull the plug on CD1 candidate Dean Scontras after he ran over his time allotment. This caused a stir.

Frary made the crowd laugh with his unconventional speaking style. The Summers’ and Scontras’ campaigns paraded out with an entourage of supporters, music playing and signs waving.

IPSecure
05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Is McRomney being paid to speak at these conventions?

Where is McFly?

brandon
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
need more updates!!!

CGMike
05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm sitting in the balcony listening to McRomney speak right now...best line so far...

"The islamo-fascists are trying to conquer our country"

Gee Mitt, thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

No real business was conducted today. It was a joke really. McCrap was shown in a 10 minute video and when the RP delegates tred to have equal time we were shot down by the chair. Tomorrow morning is when the fun begins... 6 delegates are elected from the two Congressional districts (3 from each district) followed by 12 at large in the afternoon. Somewhere in there we also have to hear some speeches by satan....i mean susan collins and vote on a hotly contested party platform....Its going to be a long day tomorrow here in Augusta.

Join The Paul Side
05-02-2008, 07:01 PM
So basicly no delegates to the RNC were elected today? Is that on tomorrow's agenda? :rolleyes:

Rangeley
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, to be fair, it wasn't in the plan to elect any delegates to the RNC today. Tomorrow is when that was planned, and I imagine when it will occur. What we were supposed to do, however, was set the party platform. But we did not, because they really mismanaged the election of State Committeeman and Committeewoman. Instead of having the delegate chair from each town give out ballots to their town's delegation, the county chairs did a roll call of each town, one by one. It dragged out what was supposed to be a pretty speedy process into an over hour long affair.

So they announced that the platform will be handled tomorrow... which I imagine will be a long and controversial process. Theres a reason they had two days planned out for this, and had the platform on one day and the RNC delegates on another - both are probably going to be time consuming. So it definitely is going to be a long day.

RPTXState
05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
A long day they'll probably end with an illegal recess when "time runs out" :rolleyes:

CGMike
05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Yea since god forbid they cut out the useless speeches made by our congressional candidates and senators. Though I'm glad to finally put some faces to names on here. We'll see what happens tomorrow. And if you're reading this from Maine, remember to vote for me, Mike Dwyer, as an alternate to the national convention. :D

brooklyn
05-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Where does the majority lay? If it is with RP supporters-replace chair with one of our own. Do not wait!

Join The Paul Side
05-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah how was the ratio of RP Supporters to McCrazy Supporters? Does it look like we outnumber them? I read that the McCrazys' all wore red hats so they can be identified by their own faction. After being out organized in NV, I suppose that's their grand clever scheme to show us they are smarter than we are. Silly red hats for silly old neocons. They really got us there. :rolleyes:

Join The Paul Side
05-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Bump. Kick ass today Maine! :D

Rangeley
05-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Well, today is the big day. RNC Delegates need picking and Platforms need setting. Wish us luck!

Join The Paul Side
05-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, today is the big day. RNC Delegates need picking and Platforms need setting. Wish us luck!

Goodluck x 100.

:)

JohnDevilman
05-03-2008, 04:50 AM
kick some ass!

WRellim
05-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Wll, looks like the RUDe (Republicrat Unity Delegates) prevailed and got all but 1 of the delegates (17 for McInCain, only 1 for Ron Paul from CD1).

Also, looks like they thwarted the amendments to the platform, and were able to make it a rubber stamp affair.

Summary of day here:
http://www.politickerme.com/jessicaalaimo/1486/convention-update-6-pm

ClockwiseSpark
05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah how was the ratio of RP Supporters to McCrazy Supporters? Does it look like we outnumber them? I read that the McCrazys' all wore red hats so they can be identified by their own faction. After being out organized in NV, I suppose that's their grand clever scheme to show us they are smarter than we are. Silly red hats for silly old neocons. They really got us there. :rolleyes:

I think brown shirts would have been more appropriate for them. :rolleyes:

rancher89
05-03-2008, 07:26 PM
That's too bad

Join The Paul Side
05-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like we were outnumbered this weekend in Oklahoma and in Maine. Still waiting to hear how Deleware turned out for us. :(