PDA

View Full Version : Update on Maine Convention - 2:45pm

hillertexas
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
http://www.politickerme.com/jessicaalaimo/1468/security-steps-after-floor-interruption

There is a video on the linked article

Security steps in after floor interruption
By Jessica Alaimo

Security has removed two men, both Ron Paul supporters, from the Maine Republican Convention.

Mark Fink of Falmouth said his rights were being violated when he was denied a chance to raise “a routine, procedural objection” on the convention floor.

He was an alternate and said he had been moved into a delegate slot, but officials told him he was an alternate and convention rules prohibited him from speaking. Seeing no microphone for people on the floor, he grabbed the microphone in front of the podium.

Fink said he was objecting to rules that prohibited the state from having a national delegation from Maine for Ron Paul.

Scott Kauffman, vice-chairman of the party, said Fink had no credentials to be on the floor.

“He was out of order, he wanted to be a credentialed delegate,” Kauffman said. “The convention chair stated that he was not.”

Julie O’Brien, executive director of the Maine Republican Party, said party officials beefed up security after hearing “threatening tones” from the Paul camp. Paul supporters denied that any threats were made.

She said that the party is complying with national party guidelines.

“We’re just following the rules,” O’Brien said, “and the laws.”

Also removed from the convention was Ed Cohen. Cohen said he is running as a write-in candidate against Susan Collins this June.

He said he was a delegate from Waterville. Party officials said he wasn’t.

Kauffman said Cohen is barred from participating in official party events. He could not say why.

Cohen said, “I’m the biggest threat to neo-conservatives. I’m a very powerful person. They’re scared s---less.”

http://www.politickerme.com/jessicaalaimo/1469/convention-update-245-pm

Convention update: 2:45 p.m.
By Jessica Alaimo

The state convention is reconvened and state delegates are deciding on the national committeeman and committeewoman positions.

Right now they are casting ballots for committeeman, with the choice of Hayes Gahagan and Richard Bennett.

Next they will hear from their committeewoman choices, Jan Staples, Kathy Watson and Linda Bean of Port Clyde.

Bean’s flyers appeared around the Civic Center at lunchtime. She is a Ron Paul supporter, was the Republican primary winner for a Congressional seat in 1992, and is a former state political director for the Maine Republican Women’s Federation.

Things are behind scheduled, with committeeman voting taking longer than expected, and the convention chair is urging county leaders to move things around.

Paulitical Correctness
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Unbelievable.

Only...not really. :mad:

brandon
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
thanks for the update....

hmm, i'm not sure what to make of this. It seems as if the two Paul supporters were in fact out of line.

Cohen sounds rude and delusional when he remarks “I’m the biggest threat to neo-conservatives. I’m a very powerful person. They’re scared s---less.”

Was the other guy really a delegate, or was he an alternate?

I understand Paul supporters are very reactionary due to the amount of bias against us we have fought for the past year, but I worry that these two were reacting to nothing. I guess we will get the other side of the story later.

Cinderella
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
ugh...here we go again...i love how they say mccain has the nom yet theyre shitting bricks and doing everything possible to get us out of conventions...if he has the nom why are they so scared?? what are they going to lose?? **major sarcasm**

dannno
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Unbelievable.

Only...not really. :mad:

Couldn't have said it better..

JustBcuz
05-02-2008, 01:03 PM

hmm, i'm not sure what to make of this. It seems as if the two Paul supporters were in fact out of line.

Cohen sounds rude and delusional when he remarks “I’m the biggest threat to neo-conservatives. I’m a very powerful person. They’re scared s---less.”

I understand Paul supporters are very reactionary due to the amount of bias against us we have fought for the past year, but I worry that these two were reacting to nothing. I guess we will get the other side of the story later.

+1

I wanna see the video before going into panic mode on this one.

IRO-bot
05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Oye. Some people.....Oye.
That's where the lunatic fringe comes from.

Is it so hard to be respectful? I know we have a hard time but acting like that wont help matters.

Join The Paul Side
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Why can't people understand that when we act a certain way, we justify what negativity is written about us which influences public opinion of RP Supporters?

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. When the establishment gets out of line it goes to print in the papers as our fault. When we get out of line it goes to print in the papers as our fault.

There may be more what to happened with these two guys, but look at the negative things being said about them already. :(

TruePatriot44
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
So, an alternate who is seated as a delegate can't raise rule objections at the Maine State Convention? That either seems like a bull**** rule or the delegate got screwed.

JustBcuz
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
So, an alternate who is seated as a delegate can't raise rule objections at the Maine State Convention?

That's been the rule in place at every convention I've been to (only 3, but still).

The alternates have to wait to see if there's a spot for them to move up and into before they can do anything.

EDIT: I mis-read your question, so my answer is probably out of place.

I read the article that this guy was an alternate who had not been moved up into a delegate's seat, and was attempting to raise rule objections. If the guy's not a full-fledged delegate, he's out of order.

But as it is now, I really don't know what happened. I'd like to see the full video.

Also, thx for the update heller. :)

tonyr1988
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Agreed. They're making everyone in the revolution look bad...:mad:

Lucille
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
We must reject and denounce them!

ARealConservative
05-02-2008, 02:18 PM
We must reject and denounce them!

agreed.

If we show the neo-cons we too will eat our own, they will have to respect is. ;)

Jeremy
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
this is what happens when you go into a convention thinking you're going to be treated unfairly... next thing YOURE the one doing it... this guy probably crossed the line. how embarrassing!

Bradley in DC
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Why can't people understand that when we act a certain way, we justify what negativity is written about us which influences public opinion of RP Supporters?

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. When the establishment gets out of line it goes to print in the papers as our fault. When we get out of line it goes to print in the papers as our fault.

There may be more what to happened with these two guys, but look at the negative things being said about them already. :(

Good observations. Suggestions?

ronpaulitician
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Good observations. Suggestions?
We all have to make a concerted effort to be ambassadors for the cause of freedom.

If there are some who become "embarrassors" instead*, we'll have to be even more ambassador-like.

*Note that I'll reserve judgment regarding the Maine convention, as there's probably more to the story.

Join The Paul Side
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
No new updates?

ronpaulitician
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
No new updates?
5:00pm update (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=135579)