PDA

View Full Version : Early voting report

stephensmith
05-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Has anyone else early-voted in North Carolina?

On my way into work the other day, I stopped by an early voting location. There were three women working there but no other voters in the place at the time (about 10:30 a.m.)

The women were chatty and I joked around with them some, then asked for a ballot. I told them I was registered "Unaffiliated," so had a choice of a Republican or a Democrat ballot. I chose the Republican.

One of the women promptly gave me the correct ballot, but she said, "Most unaffiliated voters ask for the Democratic ballot because there's still a race for president on it." Then noticing all of the names on the Republican ballot (besides McCain and Paul, there were Keyes and maybe one or two others -- Huckabee? Romney?), she kind of waved at it and said, "Well, of course, McCain has already won so there's really no one else to vote for there" (or words to that effect).

Yeah, yeah, I could have made a stink, but I didn't feel like it. I just wanted to hurry up and make my mark for RP. Who knows? If she tells other unaffiliated voters that, maybe they won't even bother putting a mark by McCain. The folks like me who march in determined to vote for RP, though, won't be deterred.

Besides voting for RP, I voted for Lawson for Congress since I'm in that district, and I voted for Dole's opponent for Senate. I realized that I knew absolutely nothing about the differences between the Republican gubernatorial candidates, and so did not vote in that race. Nor did I vote in any of the non-partisan races that were on the ballot, for the same reason.

It was all quick and painless (except for that woman's comment about there not being a real presidential race on the Republican ballot) and I was mainly glad to reassure myself that Ron Paul's name was indeed on the ballot -- you never know.

Sure hope that North Carolina can turn in a Ron Paul showing at least as good as Pennsylvania's.

- Steve

angelatc
05-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I realized that I knew absolutely nothing about the differences between the Republican gubernatorial candidates, and so did not vote in that race. Nor did I vote in any of the non-partisan races that were on the ballot, for the same reason.

That's interesting. I usually at least vote against the incumbent.

Highland
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Well...here in WNC, most republicans are going to unaffiliated to vote for Barrack or Clinton. The racist ones want Clinton. We are a battleground for her and she is in Hendersonville today.

MozoVote
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
The early voting lines got progressively longer as this week passed. I voted Wednesday. No problems.

Gov - Orr
9th dist - Myrick
US Sen - Dole's opponent
NC Sen#39 - Rucho

and the GOP endorsed judges

NCGOPer_for_Paul
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I voted early in Charlotte. Supposedly, over 70,000 voters statewide have already voted.

I'm a registered Republican, so nobody said anything to me.

I did vote Bob Orr for governor, and Jim Snyder for Lt. Governor, only because he praised Ron Paul at the Lincoln-Reagan Day dinner here in early April.

I did vote for Dole and Sue Myrick, even though she is an Islamophobe.

Oh yeah, Bob Rucho for NC Senate and the GOP endorsed judges.

(if you can believe politicians, Rucho and his wife were voting for Ron Paul...)

MozoVote
05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I think Rucho's hard core conservative, small government ads may help bring McCain down a few notches in Charlotte. More of those people will be voting Paul or No Preference, on their ballots.

slacker921
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
don't forget Eric Smith... for State Superintendent. He was endorsed by Ron Paul.

FireofLiberty
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
President: Ron Paul
Governor: Bob Orr
Lt. Governor: Greg Dority
Superintendent of Public Instruction: Eric Smith
All the Republican Judges.

Sadly, I'm actually in the 13th District so I couldn't vote for B.J. even though I work for his campaign.

MozoVote
05-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Somebody did manage to "Paul" some intersections in Charlotte this weekend. (I have seen maybe 2 McCain signs anywhere.) Nearly all the signage is Hillary or Obama, local county and NC legislature, or governor's race.

I'm not expecting Paul to do quite as well as Pennsylvania, since NC wasn't a strong fund raising state. But if Paul + Huck together is more than 25% it would satisfy me that there is still a lot of dissatisfaction with McCain.

cayton
05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I voted on the first or second day of early voting.. not sure of district, but I am in the same one with walter b jones

Anyway, I asked the lady about the turnout and she told me they'd had something like 125 people vote, which wasnt much for two days worth!

I only voted for about half of them, including paul, jones, and orr.

FireofLiberty
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I voted on the first or second day of early voting.. not sure of district, but I am in the same one with walter b jones

Anyway, I asked the lady about the turnout and she told me they'd had something like 125 people vote, which wasnt much for two days worth!

I only voted for about half of them, including paul, jones, and orr.

Please tell me you voted for Eric Smith for Superintendent of Public Instruction...

I really hope Walter pulls it out tomorrow. I'm worried about him. Him losing would really put a damper on a victory for B.J. tomorrow.

Oh, and you're in the 3rd district.

ItsTime
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Is campaigning inside a polling place illegal in your state? Because that woman was campaigning for McCain

JMann
05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds like voter fraud to me. I hate early voting because i think everyone (that can) should make their decision based on the information presented to them by election day. To me it is kinda of like playing the line in sports. I want to know what is happening the day of the election not what happened three weeks ago. Call me old fashion I guess.

I'm very confused down ballot but it looks like I'll go with my instinct for Gov and vote for Orr.

JMann
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Please tell me you voted for Eric Smith for Superintendent of Public Instruction...

I really hope Walter pulls it out tomorrow. I'm worried about him. Him losing would really put a damper on a victory for B.J. tomorrow.

Oh, and you're in the 3rd district.

I wish Walter Jones would of run for Senate or Governor but hard to give up that district for an unknown. Though he is one of those old entrenched guys Howard Coble has always been a good Representative for NC. He is against the current policy in Iraq though voted for the war to start with.

I knew him when I was a little kid and my father worked for him. He would come to the beach with us on our family trips and he would smoke a cigar, put in some Big Red chewing tobacco and drink a beer at the same time. To this day I find that an amazing accomplishment even more so to think the guy must be pushing 80.

FireofLiberty
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I wish Walter Jones would of run for Senate or Governor but hard to give up that district for an unknown. Though he is one of those old entrenched guys Howard Coble has always been a good Representative for NC. He is against the current policy in Iraq though voted for the war to start with.

I knew him when I was a little kid and my father worked for him. He would come to the beach with us on our family trips and he would smoke a cigar, put in some Big Red chewing tobacco and drink a beer at the same time. To this day I find that an amazing accomplishment even more so to think the guy must be pushing 80.

Well, I'm not sure how entrenched he is now that he's being challenged by a party-backed Republican in the primary, but other than that I agree. A Democrat wouldn't stand a chance against him.

FireofLiberty
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Is campaigning inside a polling place illegal in your state? Because that woman was campaigning for McCain

In NC it is illegal to campaign within 25 - 50 feet of the door to the polling place, with the exception of a specially marked place adjacent to the "buffer zone" near the door on the outside of the door to polling place.

JMann
05-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, I'm not sure how entrenched he is now that he's being challenged by a party-backed Republican in the primary, but other than that I agree. A Democrat wouldn't stand a chance against him.

I was speaking of Rep. Coble and I don't think there is a Republican running against him. The Dems have some kid with a sole patch running against him. Back in like '86 Rep. Coble won by the narrowest margin in the country. Since then he pretty much gets reelected as a Republican in a very heavy Democrat's district with 80% plus of the vote. Usually about the largest margin in the country.

Never I now see you are speaking of Jones Jr. His daddy's supporter have his back I'm sure.

FireofLiberty
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I was speaking of Rep. Coble and I don't think there is a Republican running against him. The Dems have some kid with a sole patch running against him. Back in like '86 Rep. Coble won by the narrowest margin in the country. Since then he pretty much gets reelected as a Republican in a very heavy Democrat's district with 80% plus of the vote. Usually about the largest margin in the country.

Never I now see you are speaking of Jones Jr. His daddy's supporter have his back I'm sure.

Coble's not so bad. I met him a few weeks ago in his office with B.J. and he was a really nice guy and pretty hilarious too.

JMann
05-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Coble's not so bad. I met him a few weeks ago in his office with B.J. and he was a really nice guy and pretty hilarious too.

I don't really know the Coble of today but back when I was a kid he was great. He kind of fell into politics by making a donation to Jim Holshouser (R-NC) back in 1972 (I think) when he ran for governor. Coble supported Holshouser when the chance of a Republican winning as Governor was unheard of. The support got him Secretary of Revenue (chief tax collector) then to the state senate (or house) before his run for congress in 84, maybe.

Great guy, fiscal conservative that has never really cared about social conservatism. I guess that is why he wins with about 80% of the vote every year in a very liberal district.