PDA

View Full Version : Update from Maine Convention! - 11am

hillertexas
05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
http://www.politickerme.com/jessicaalaimo/1466/convention-update-11-am

Convention update: 11 a.m.
By Jessica Alaimo

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/2458614179_3ebf626aa9_o.jpg

The Maine Republican Convention is well underway. Here are some tidbits… check back in a bit for photos and video.

-After the convention order was adopted, Ron Paul supporter Steve Martin of Aroostook County stood up and requested that someone be able to speak on all presidential election. The order had already been accepted, the moderator said. “So in an election year we do not want to hear from other candidates.”

-Augusta Mayor Roger Katz welcomed Republican delegates. The word “Augusta” has bad vibes to it nowadays, he said. The way to change this is to elect Republicans to the Legislature.

-A video was aired featuring John McCain asking for votes. He said electing Democrats would mean big government and higher taxes. If elected, he said in the video, “I won’t let a Democratic Congress raise your taxes and choke the growth of a federal economy.” A Ron Paul organizer later said that it was not made clear on the agenda that this video would be aired – otherwise the Paul supporters would have pushed for one from their candidate. Party officials said the video was a last minute addition, and are looking for time in the schedule to work in a Paul video.

-Susan Collins’ campaign is out in full force. A “Collins County Fair” booth is set up inside the convention with lemonade and popcorn.

-Charlie Summers’ campaign is raffling off a U.S. flag that flew over the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. Summers is serving in Iraq, due home later this month. His wife, Ruth, is campaigning in his place. She said they got the flag through the U.S. Army’s public affairs office, where Charlie is stationed.

Another smart campaign tactic – the campaign is handing out plastic bags with their logo for convention-goers to put the massive amounts of paper they’ve accumulated.

-Dean Scontras’ campaign is campaigning with the help of 25 15- and 19-year-olds. Dan Schuberth, a staffer on the campaign, said Scontras spoke with them at a youth in government program at the State House, they were hooked and agreed to help out today.

-State Senate Minority Leader Carol Weston and House Minority Leader Josh Tardy introduced candidates for the Legislature, encouraging victory in November.

brandon
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
-After the convention order was adopted, Ron Paul supporter Steve Martin of Aroostook County stood up and requested that someone be able to speak on all presidential election. The order had already been accepted, the moderator said. “So in an election year we do not want to hear from other candidates.”

What does this even mean? Do they have a different version of English they speak up in Maine?

Whatever, I want to thank steve for speaking up. Even though we have our differences about gay buddhists :)

Shii
05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
A Ron Paul organizer later said that it was not made clear on the agenda that this video would be aired – otherwise the Paul supporters would have pushed for one from their candidate. Party officials said the video was a last minute addition, and are looking for time in the schedule to work in a Paul video.Yeah right :rolleyes:

StilesBC
05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Uh yeah, we'll get right on that...

Aratus
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
SteveMartin tries to get the chair to recognize RonPaul's candidacy?
I hope you all do know he is OUR organization guy in Aroostook!!!

SteveMartin
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
That was very poorly worded. On purpose?? Not sure...anyway...

What I did was make a motion that a time be given for someone to speak on behalf of all presidential candidates. I was the very first speaker from the floor during the convention. When I was ruled out of order the whole convention heard me say (I have a booming voice) "So, I just want it on the record that during the state convention in a Presidential election year, the Maine GOP does not want anyone to speak on behalf of all remaining presidential candidates."

I got quite a few cheers, and they weren't all RP people either...

Aratus
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
the republican party in augusta tried to get an artificial boomlet up for mccain, despite his lack of votes?

SLSteven
06-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Party officials said the video was a last minute addition, and are looking for time in the schedule to work in a Paul video.

Can't wait to see what Ron Paul says in his video.

SteveMartin
06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
This is old news. Ron Paul made a 4-minute video specifically for folks at our convention (which is now over.) The Maine GOP allowed one minute of it to play DURING LUNCH RECESS and then turned it off. Later we heard they had deemed it "too controversial" (even for the 50 people in the room at the time, I suppose...lol...)