PDA

View Full Version : Presidential hopeful Ron Paul thinks Barack Obama will win White House

Phantom
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Presidential hopeful Ron Paul thinks Barack Obama will win White House

Libertarian Republican Congressman from Texas speaks about his non-interventionist foreign policy at Goucher as part of the President's Forum

Lori Shull
5/2/08

Flags, signs, bumper stickers and buttons were distributed to the crowd, who were ready to make a sensation in support of their favorite political candidate, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas). When the long-shot contender for the Republican presidential ticket showed up to speak at Goucher as part of the President's Forum, Kraushaar Auditorium didn't even have standing room left.

They gave him a standing ovation before he even opened his mouth, and clapped during his speech more than 20 times.

And then, after listening to his libertarian ideas for over an hour, they heard him say Democratic-hopeful Barack Obama would win the rat race to the White House.

The rest of the talk, which was not written down, was a fairly run-of-the-mill campaign stump speech. Though running for the Republican nomination, he distanced himself from the party and its contemporary hawkish ways.

"The sad part is… if you don't support it - vote against the PATRIOT Act, you're unpatriotic. You vote against the war, you vote against the troops," he said. "They turn it and twist it around. I have come to the firm conclusion that you can be conservative, libertarian, institutionalist - a good American and vote against the war and still be a patriot."

His focus was on his non-interventionist foreign policy stance. He said the nation needs to focus on issues within its own borders and get out of other places - Iraq and the Middle East but also Korea, Japan and Germany.

"All empires end for financial reasons," he said. "The Soviet Union… bankrupted themselves and one place where they really bankrupted themselves was their fruitless efforts in Afghanistan - you'd think we'd learn a lesson or two."

The crowd was very receptive to Paul's ideas - it interrupted him many times to applaud and every once in a while, a couple people standing in the back were seen waving full-size American flags.

Among the hundreds of people there were students, middle aged parents with their young children and older people.

Paul, however, is not the politician most Goucher students endorse. Many were there out of curiosity to hear what he would have to say, and what his supporters would do.
"I told my mom I was coming to see him and she was like 'Oh my God, that's the lunatic fringe!'" senior international relations major Lindsey Rich said.

Others were thrilled that he was coming. Before Paul came on stage, sophomore Emily Adams introduced him to the crowd. Adams is one of Paul's more vocal supporters on campus and was asked by college president Sanford J. Ungar to introduce him at the event.

Paul's speech lasted a little less than 40 minutes and ended with another standing ovation. After the speech, about 30 people raced to get in line behind microphones to ask questions of the presidential hopeful. This was the first time there was any sign that not all members of the crowd supported him.

Questions about abortion and women's rights drew applause in favor of the students who asked, rather than the answers the Congressman gave. Though Paul is pro-life, he said he objected to the federal government's involvement in the issue at all.

One of the themes of his speech was getting the federal government out of more issues. He wants to return to the text that is in the Constitution, rather than the big government he thinks we currently have. Though current American foreign policy, he says, is what convinced him to run for president again after his failed effort in 1988, individual liberties are what matter most.

"The big issue for me is individual liberty," he said. "I believe that's what's been neglected in this country for a hundred years plus. I believe the Founders understood this issue, understood what limited government is all about and gave us a pretty darn good Constitution which unfortunately we have ignored."

"We need more production, we need sound money, we need less taxes, we need a sensible foreign policy and [a new system] emphasizing personal liberty where creative energy would be released not suppressed."

Link (http://media.www.thequindecim.com/media/storage/paper618/news/2008/05/02/News/Presidential.Hopeful.Ron.Paul.Thinks.Barack.Obama. Will.Win.White.House-3361651.shtml)

For more articles on Ron Paul and the Revolution, please visit this link (http://www.presidentronpaul.741.com/news.html#newsroom).

Mahkato
05-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Why on earth would he say something like that?

TER
05-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Well, by the looks of things, he's probably right.

crazyfingers
05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't really see how, considering McCain will probably take Florida and Ohio.

TER
05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
I think the American people are tired of fighting wars and are waking up to the cost of it (thanks in part to Dr. Paul)...

crazyfingers
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I think the American people are tired of fighting wars and are waking up to the cost of it (thanks in part to Dr. Paul)...

Yeah too bad there is no real difference between Obama and McCain's policy on Iraq.

prlgrl
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM

I was there. He answered a direct question about who he thought would win the WH. I think he didn't really want to say, but being as honest as he is, came out with.... "well, I never duck a question, so here's what I think..... it's going to be Obama"

RP-Honest to the core.

Gotta love that man!

Mahkato
05-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I was there. He answered a direct question about who he thought would win the WH. I think he didn't really want to say, but being as honest as he is, came out with.... "well, I never duck a question, so here's what I think..... it's going to be Obama"

RP-Honest to the core.

Gotta love that man!

Good to know. I wish that would have been reflected in the article.

JMann
05-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I think there is a less than 10 percent chance Sen. Obama will be the next president. There are too many blue states that will go with McCain over Obama. Hill would have a fighting chance against McCain but If she was to win the nomination it will be at the political destruction of Obama causing much of the black vote to stay at home making it very difficult for her. Even more so if Powell, Rice, Steele or Watts are on McCain's ticket.

I would give McCain a better than 75% chance of being the next president regardless of what the democrats do at this point.

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Kade was saying this earlier. the los vegas sun article
highlights how mccain lacks both an internet army and
a traditional political machine. hillary has traditional dems
aplenty, barack obama has brought NEW voters to the
democrats. today has a thread asking why WE ain't trying
to take over the democratic party apparatus! the answer is
two fold! barry goldwater was a hero to ron paul in his youth,
and mccain himself hasn't built up a machine based on personal
loyalty and ideological stances. g.w bush seems to be ramrodding
john mccain on the non-mccain elements of the republican party...

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
toss in any combo of b.barr, m.gravel, n.ruwart and chuck baldwin in either a CP
or LP run or both as fusion or a breakaway fission and this pulls votes from mcCain...
ralph nader & his lonesome honest nader's raiders only command 1% to 3% of the vote!

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
not voting john mccain this november may have obama as a one or two term president.

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:28 AM
just so you all don't jump me, i'd write in perhaps Ron Paul or simply vote Nader
if i don't see a LP or CP combo that i like, that is if Ron Paul is not running nor
has given a nod to any of the field of candidates. i might even write in mike gravel.

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
keep in mind ross perot had the potentiality to almost negate one of the two main parties recently! i once voted for him!

dude58677
05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Unless there is video footage or this is on Ron Paul's website I am going to say this didn't happen and that the media is going to great lengths to lie. Don't forget Jason Blair.

prlgrl
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Good to know. I wish that would have been reflected in the article.

I agree. So I left this comment to the writer:

posted 5/02/08 @ 12:38 PM EST

Point of clarification-- Ron Paul was asked directly who he thought would win the white house. Honest man that he is, he said... "well, I'm not one to duck a question, ...I think it will be Obama."

When asked a question, Ron Paul will answer honestly. Yet, in your review of the lecture, you intimate Paul's response is somehow a betrayal to his supporters.

He was asked a question, he answered honestly.

It would have been a betrayal had he answered otherwise.

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:54 AM
i just went into the link~site and left a comment. i again noticed that the poster just
previous to my comment, namely "Teri" ... thought the good doctor to be quite honest!
the site looks legit and its connected to the U of Phoenix. this is lookin' VERRRY REAL!

Aratus
05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree. So I left this comment to the writer:

posted 5/02/08 @ 12:38 PM EST

Point of clarification-- Ron Paul was asked directly who he thought would win the white house. Honest man that he is, he said... "well, I'm not one to duck a question, ...I think it will be Obama."

When asked a question, Ron Paul will answer honestly. Yet, in your review of the lecture, you intimate Paul's response is somehow a betrayal to his supporters.

He was asked a question, he answered honestly.

It would have been a betrayal had he answered otherwise.

prlgrl... did i just follow your 12:38 posting with one of my own?:rolleyes:

dude58677
05-02-2008, 09:58 AM
i just went into the link~site and left a comment. i again noticed that the poster just
previous to my comment, namely "Teri" ... thought the good doctor to be quite honest!
the site looks legit and its connected to the U of Phoenix. this is lookin' VERRRY REAL!

It doesn't matter if it looks real, that is why it is such a good lie. Until there is a video, I'm not buying it.

RonPaulVolunteer
05-02-2008, 10:03 AM

because he's smart

dannno
05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
"I told my mom I was coming to see him and she was like 'Oh my God, that's the lunatic fringe!'" senior international relations major Lindsey Rich said.

OMG, it's the brainwashed masses!

prlgrl
05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
prlgrl... did i just follow your 12:38 posting with one of my own?:rolleyes:

Yes... and in case you didn't go back, here's my next comment :)

Ron was sitting down next to the President of Goucher.
It was during the question answer session--- AFTER the speech:

--- question asked.... Ron smiles, pauses, answers, then next question.

Really, the writer intimates more of this than it was.

It was a casual exchange, all of fifteen seconds, and nothing more.

Give me liberty
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I still think hillary has a shot at it.

dannno
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kovaciny

because he's smart

He's smart, but he's also making a point. He told the Republicans dozens of times that if they didn't elect someone who wanted to bring the troops home, there was NO WAY the Republicans would ever get in the Whitehouse this election. 70% of the American public is against the war, yet none of the 30% who were for the war could figure out this out??

dannno
05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I still think hillary has a shot at it.

She still has a shot at stealing the election, I believe Ron Paul used the word "win"

Crickett
05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I made a $40 bet with someone in November. Their bet was that a whilte male would win the white house. I thought if it was Ron it would be worth the $40. But I did not think Mcy would win so I took the bet.

Bradley in DC
05-02-2008, 10:13 AM

RP-Honest to the core.

Gotta love that man!

Thanks, that clears up a lot.

crazyfingers
05-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Honestly I think the only chance Obama has is if the Libertarians nominate Barr and he runs a particulary effective campaign in the swing states.

ARealConservative
05-02-2008, 10:18 AM

because he is honest.

A republican backlash is all the rage right now - if you don't see it, you haven't been canvasing with the rest of us.

Aratus
05-02-2008, 10:20 AM
prlgrl... i just added a bit more, and was thanking you for the clarification!
i typoed "mainstream media" in my haste, yet i do know what a soundbite
the fifteen seconds actually are! i hope i wasn't too wordy or trangental!!!

acptulsa
05-02-2008, 10:23 AM
because he is honest.

A republican backlash is all the rage right now - if you don't see it, you haven't been canvasing with the rest of us.

The thing that scares me is something that it actually makes me proud to note that the people on this forum basically don't notice--that there are sectors of the populace that are still sexist and racist. They'd rather send their kids to fight than free their minds, and they're in McCain's pocket--whether they tell the pollsters that or not...

Sad to say but I fear their numbers are not that small.

prlgrl
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
prlgrl... i just added a bit more, and was thanking you for the clarification!
i typoed "mainstream media" in my haste, yet i do know what a soundbite
the fifteen seconds actually are! i hope i wasn't too wordy or trangental!!!

You're welcome, and not at all...

I just couldn't believe how the writer framed the exchange... so contrary to what I witnessed.

kigol
05-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Phantom
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
prlgrl, can you remember how the question was phrased?

Could it have been something like: "If you are not elected the GOP nominee, who do you believe will win the White House"?

Unfortunatly, there are only a couple of youtube videos on the Q&A session and they are only partial.

prlgrl
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
prlgrl, can you remember how the question was phrased?

Could it have been something like: "If you are not elected the GOP nominee, who do you believe will win the White House"?

Unfortunatly, there are only a couple of youtube videos on the Q&A session and they are only partial.

I don't recollect how the question was framed. The entire exchange passed so quickly and seemingly, without significance-- IMHO anyway, but, I definitely see how framing it the way you describe makes a huge difference.

Maybe someone else that was there can answer. I'll ask around.

Phantom
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, thanks prlgrl

JK/SEA
05-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't forget, Doctors like to use reverse psychology..lol!

DrYongrel
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Don't forget, Doctors like to use reverse psychology..lol!

No we don't.

Kade
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Kade was saying this earlier. the los vegas sun article
highlights how mccain lacks both an internet army and
a traditional political machine. hillary has traditional dems
aplenty, barack obama has brought NEW voters to the
democrats. today has a thread asking why WE ain't trying
to take over the democratic party apparatus! the answer is
two fold! barry goldwater was a hero to ron paul in his youth,
and mccain himself hasn't built up a machine based on personal
loyalty and ideological stances. g.w bush seems to be ramrodding
john mccain on the non-mccain elements of the republican party...

Exactly.

I think AuHO2 was the best politician in modern times, hands down. McCain's dishonesty in claiming him is apparent.

JK/SEA
05-02-2008, 01:59 PM
No we don't.

exception noted.

freedom-maniac
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah too bad there is no real difference between Obama and McCain's policy on Iraq.

Obama wants to be there until 2010 or 2013.

McCain wants to be there until 2108.

Aratus
05-08-2008, 08:18 AM
what if hillary clinton now tries what ron paul is doing in terms of delegates?
the efforts concerning county conventions, state conventions and caucuses etc...

Cinderella
05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
i dont understand why he thinks obama is the lesser of the evils??? im more scared of obama than the rest....at least hitlery and mcburger are in ur face scary...obama is more subtle and "wolf in sheeps clothing" kind of scary

ClayTrainor
05-08-2008, 08:39 AM
i dont understand why he thinks obama is the lesser of the evils??? im more scared of obama than the rest....at least hitlery and mcburger are in ur face scary...obama is more subtle and "wolf in sheeps clothing" kind of scary

I agree with this 100%

I think Obama comes across as a much nicer person to most people, and they base their opinion on that alone.

Aratus
05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
can we say that the odds are only one in ten that hillary becomes the nominee and that
ron paul's odds are one in twenty? how does hillary plan to pull this off? does she actually want
something like what rEVOLUTIOn people are doing now? keep in mind obama has the better
net organization and hillary's hacks are getting squeemish about looking like party hacks!!!

torchbearer
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
think about it. if we want the white house in 4 to 8 years, we need the most communist candidate in office, so people understand why its slavery.

libertarian4321
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I think you folks have to stop thinking of "red state-blue state" as if its something set in stone.

Its NOT 2000, or even 2004. A LOT of bad things have happened to the Republicans since them that are setting them up for a big fall in this election.

For the first time in decades, Democrats are outraising Republicans at both the Presidential and Congressional levels (and by HUGE margins). Republicans not only got smacked in 2006, they've lost a string of seats in special elections since then. And that was mostly before the economy went south.

On top of that, McCain inspires no one (hell, folks, every poll on these forums has Obama kicking McCain's butt, and most of us are Republicans or Libertarians, not liberals).

The utter lack of enthusiasm for McCain, even among Republicans, is obvious. Even now, McCain is only getting about 75% of the vote in his primaries- unbelievable given that he supposedly "locked up" the nomination weeks ago.

Millions of Americans have become newly registered Democrats in the past year. At the same time, the Republican party actually shrank.

The Republican's best chance to win died this week when Hillary, for all practical purposes, lost the nomination. McCain inspires no one, but Hillary would have fired up the Republican Party.

I would bet the Republicans are going to get SPANKED this fall- its going to be worse than 2006- they are going to lose House seats, governorships, and likely senate seats as well.

A great Republican candidate could overcome all these problems- someone like Reagan.

Old man McCain is no Reagan, folks. He's wasn't all that bright or charismatic in his prime, and age isn't helping. He's going to get pigeonholed as a "war " candidate in a nation that is overwhelmingly anti war. The economy is only going to get worse in coming months, and its going to get pinned on the Republicans.

Barring something spectacular - on the order of someone posting footage of Obama having anal sex with a Dick Cheney on YouTube, McCain is toast...

Rangeley
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
think about it. if we want the white house in 4 to 8 years, we need the most communist candidate in office, so people understand why its slavery.
The problem with shackles is its not always easy to get them off.

torchbearer
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
The problem with shackles is its not always easy to get them off.

Yeh, but you can't begin to take them off until you realise you have them on.
If you haven't noticed by the mobs voting for more socialism... they don't realise it yet.
We need the general population to understand what we are saying...
Media says we are kooks.
So the mobs are buying the collectivist program.
We are already slaves. Obama will complete the process.

Only after enough people experience the wide spread poverty only collectivism can bring will they be open to our ideas.

Basically, we need things to just go outright socialist/communist before the majority will once again long for the freedoms that we already crave.

How big did government have to get before it started to negatively affect your life?
We need people to wake up. Blimps alone will not wake them up.
We need the shit to hit the fan, unfortunately, for the ignorant to learn.

As in, they won't take our word for it. They only learn the hard way.
Obama will be the perfect guy for this job. Him and his Che revolution in America.

We need a horrible period of socialism. We don't want it, but the idiots need to see first hand how tyrrany comes in many forms.

Aratus
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=136356 are we at binary election assumptions?

torchbearer
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
If McCain wins, you can forget any of our guys getting into the white house ever... The Republican name will be forever be synonymous with Fascism.

The Democrats need to take the white house if we can't get Ron Paul in....
You know Mike Gravel is 78 and running for Prez.
How old is Ron, 72?

We need a Dem in office for Ron to have another shot in 4 years.
Ron may still be our future president.
But it won't happen if McCain wins.

Todd
05-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Sadly, from a purely polemist political perspective....I think it will be a tremendous endeavor for a minority to win the presidency if that person is in the Democratic party. As bad a politician as McCain is it will be very difficult to get a pluarality of voters to vote for Obama. One of the biggest mistakes ever made was Mondale choosing Ferraro as a running mate. I don't believe that America for one instant is unique in it's racism, but facts are facts that there is enough of that type of thinking to make it one heck of a challenge, especially representing a left wing party.
The trade unions recently all but came out and suggested that they would never support him. Unfortunately, if continue as they are....McCain is your next Pres. God help us...and I'm glad I live in the Stix.

ClayTrainor
05-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeh, but you can't begin to take them off until you realise you have them on.
If you haven't noticed by the mobs voting for more socialism... they don't realise it yet.
We need the general population to understand what we are saying...
Media says we are kooks.
So the mobs are buying the collectivist program.
We are already slaves. Obama will complete the process.

Only after enough people experience the wide spread poverty only collectivism can bring will they be open to our ideas.

Basically, we need things to just go outright socialist/communist before the majority will once again long for the freedoms that we already crave.

How big did government have to get before it started to negatively affect your life?
We need people to wake up. Blimps alone will not wake them up.
We need the shit to hit the fan, unfortunately, for the ignorant to learn.

As in, they won't take our word for it. They only learn the hard way.
Obama will be the perfect guy for this job. Him and his Che revolution in America.

We need a horrible period of socialism. We don't want it, but the idiots need to see first hand how tyrrany comes in many forms.

I do think that you are correct in this analysis :(

Dont you fear that we might be in the NAU before we even realize it if we allow more socialism?

Cinderella
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
obomber will be the next president....young people will come out in flocks to vote for him and our demise....and im pretty sure it will be obombers job to completely destroy our country then we will be offered the "solution" of being saved by a NAU

torchbearer
05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I do think that you are correct in this analysis :(

Dont you fear that we might be in the NAU before we even realize it if we allow more socialism?

I wish there was another way to explain this idea.
The patient (our country) is sick.
We, the 5%, already know this much.
But to 95% of the people, the symptoms are so small, they don't think a doctor is needed.
So we'll have to stop using band-aids, and let the illness run its course, so the patient will understand that they need medical help.

People don't understand, yet, why we are so zealous about changing the direction of the country.
We(5%) can see where its headed. They(95%) do not.
Until that changes, We (5%) will not have the support of the other 95% to implement our plan to salvage our country.

Truth Warrior
05-08-2008, 11:46 AM
"Predictions are difficult .......... especially when they're about the future." -- Yogi Berra :D

torchbearer
05-08-2008, 11:56 AM
"Predictions are difficult .......... especially when they're about the future." -- Yogi Berra :D

"When you come to a fork in the road... Take it." - Yogi Berra.

The Confucius of our Day

Alawn
05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Well people hat Bush so much that there is no way on earth that a republican will win without vote fraud. McCain does not stand a chance unless he cheats. Without cheating it will be one of the biggest landslides of all time.

mars79t
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I hate to say this... I hate to think of how bad things have to get... However, it is my oppinion that no one with true freedom and understanding of what needs to be done will win the white house until America hits rock bottom. My heart hurts at the thought of another revolutionary war or a civil one. I sit here all the time crossing my figures that some how Ron Paul will win this election. Now that primary's are over here I cross my figures that enough delegates are for Ron Paul that we can get him to the next stage, but I don't see it happening. I ran for a delegates seat and I lost by 20 votes. I have said it to other delegates at a meeting we had before we really started to take off that i beleave Obama will win. History has a way of repeating it's self. White men voted first. Then black men were allowed. Finally women. Other than that right now anyone who beleaves that Ron Paul will win at this point is nothing more than someone who is going to get their hearts broken. As is mine right now. I don't think this message of love, peace, and true freedom should ever be dropped. Not by any means. It is a sound and wonderful message. When I went to Fort Wayne to meet Ron Paul it wasn't shortly after he started to talk that I started to cry. I seen his face....it was one of tenderness and tiredness. My heart goes out to Ron Paul and everyone who has worked so hard to try to get America back on track. If I have learned nothing else it is this... I will not forget. I will not give up. I will stand firm in my beleafs and not back down. I will respect others rights to voice themselves anyway they choose. Even if it conflicts with my own. I will do my very best to educate my childeren in this true meaning of freedom. I will become more involved in pollotics in any way that I can. I am new to pollotics, but I do know a wonderful policy from one that is just the same junk we have been dealing with for so long. Change is needed, and I beleave many so many Americans want it. They are just scared of drastic changes like the ones Ron Paul has been talking about. We may know that these changes are for the better, but change is scary. Especially drastic changes. I pray everyone who stands behind Ron Paul will not forget or let die these ideals and make as many changes in America as we can.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, by the looks of things, he's probably right.

Obama isn't good for us, but I sure would love to see the GOP be taught a good lesson.

Kade
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
When America hits "rock bottom" it will re-emerge as a Democratic Theonomy. Few could convince me otherwise.

In that, a real revolution will begin.

Aratus
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
the league of delos? once again? most democratically until the autocrat emerges?

thomaseusin
06-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Are you pro-choice or pro-life? Are you pro-war or anti-war? Are you pro-gun or anti-gun?

Must there always be a choice of two?

How about one fukcing answer - get the federal government to stay the fukc out of our lives and out of every country's fukcing problems. That's the kind of government I want!

God this double shot espresso rocks!

Kade
06-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Are you pro-choice or pro-life? Are you pro-war or anti-war? Are you pro-gun or anti-gun?

Must there always be a choice of two?

How about one fukcing answer - get the federal government to stay the fukc out of our lives and out of every country's fukcing problems. That's the kind of government I want!

God this double shot espresso rocks!

It seems to me that my position,

Anti-war, pro-choice, and pro-gun, are all "government out of your business" positions. ;)