PDA

View Full Version : Rump The Nevada Convention ????

speciallyblend
05-02-2008, 08:05 AM
i thought that bob beers already violated the gop rules by recessing without a vote,doesnt that already open the door to a rump convention?? can anyone clairfy??:confused:

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
If a quorum were assembled, couldn't they then proceed to vote no on the recess and proceed with the agenda?

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 08:23 AM
And wasn't there a county convention somewhere that was conducted over video phone with two groups in different cities? Anyone remember that? Could we get enough people connected to meet the quorum somehow? Not ideal but then again they are talking about using the mail so how could a videoconference be worse??

Banana
05-02-2008, 08:48 AM
FWIW, see if you can get a room with either hospitals or schools administrative building- they usually have video-conferencing....

slamhead
05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Just go meet in a public park...no reason to spend any money.

Make a picnic and barbecue out of it.

MozoVote
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Parks usually do have a fee for a large gathering. No real win, there.

Plus it could be hotttt in Nevada pretty soon. Indoors makes a lot more sense. I think people would be more inclined to show up for an air-conditioned facility.

No point speculating about this, though - if there's no plan to acquire the delegate list to even make the invitations.

The One
05-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Huhuhuh....you said rump.

nate895
05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd say go for it. I believe the rules state it needs to be in Washoe County, so it'd be ideal to find a High School or other venue that would be for little cost.

MozoVote
05-02-2008, 06:32 PM
The best chance of getting a quorum would be to show people that it will be an open convention. I think it would be fair to take nominations from all factions, and hold runoff votes until the list is pared to 21.

Reach out to the Romney and Huckabee groups and get some leaders to join a committee that can agree on convention rules. They aren't likely to get delegates either, if McCain sweeps a ballot-by-mail. Maybe help charter some busses from the larger cities back to Washoe county. Do some anti-McCain bonding on the way. :)

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 06:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, running a classified ad in each newspaper for 6 consecutive weeks under "Notices to the Public" should legally qualify as giving ample notification if someone were to decide to reconvene. If you incorporate under a fictitious business name, isn't that what you have to do to get a Fictitious Name Permit? (I think it is, at least in CA) so the question is this:

Who has authority to give ample notice to all delegates re: where and when to reconvene

and

What legally qualifies as sufficient public notice?

Look into this! Take the reins if we have to. 6 weeks could pass quickly

nate895
05-02-2008, 06:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, running a classified ad in each newspaper for 6 consecutive weeks under "Notices to the Public" should legally qualify as giving ample notification if someone were to decide to reconvene. If you incorporate under a fictitious business name, isn't that what you have to do to get a Fictitious Name Permit? (I think it is, at least in CA) so the question is this:

Who has authority to give ample notice to all delegates re: where and when to reconvene

and

What legally qualifies as sufficient public notice?

Look into this! Take the reins if we have to. 6 weeks could pass quickly

The easiest way is to schedule it for two-three weeks from now and buy the list of delegates and send them an official call to convention.

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a hard time with "buy the list of delegates". I know that parties are private organizations, but it seems like holding public property hostage to me. Maybe I just don't understand the process well enough. In any case, I think the sooner the better.

Is anyone collecting money to buy the list? I'll pitch in.

crazyfacedjenkins
05-02-2008, 07:12 PM
just blast the motherfucker and get it over with.

Adam Smith
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
I believe the Republican Party does NOT want Ron Paul supporters at the National convention at all. I believe this with all my heart. They want COMPLETE unity, otherwise the dischord will reveal what a mockery of Republican principle McCain's candidacy actually is.

The Party is ready to take any measures to prevent us from getting any sizable number of delegates. They are pushing the mail-in ballot idea, I think, because it is fairly easy to manipulate (think absentee ballot), not because it's cheap. My thought on the $10,000 delegate list? If you've got $10,000 to spend, it would be better to offer to contribute $10,000 toward hosting the event to finish up voting (they won't take it). I would guess that Bob Beers only came to the meeting last night to buy time and help himself look more impartial in case of future lawsuits.

If you negotiate with the party apparatchiks you will probably lose ground delegate-wise. If you fight them you might lose, too, later, when they start saying crap about "credentials" at National. After all, it will be lifelong party people working the credentials committee at National.

Maybe it's time to hire some lawyers?

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Maybe it's time to hire some lawyers?

seriously.

brooklyn
05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I couldnt agree more but the time to take action is NOW. If it is possible to reconvene we need to DO IT! I have contacted RP hqs and offered to put up the first k if thats what is needed but lets have a plan and take action! Lets stop being dictated to by the corrupt,cheating, low-life GOP officials!
Somebody has to set course and lead here. Frustrated to the max!

soapmistress
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Classifieds could be a lot cheaper...

pepperpete1
05-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I couldnt agree more but the time to take action is NOW. If it is possible to reconvene we need to DO IT! I have contacted RP hqs and offered to put up the first k if thats what is needed but lets have a plan and take action! Lets stop being dictated to by the corrupt,cheating, low-life GOP officials!
Somebody has to set course and lead here. Frustrated to the max!

My eyes are getting blurred from all the hours and hours of researching the RNC rules, the NVGOP rules, the NV state election laws and Robert's Rules of Order.

I cannot find where it says definitively where they have committed malfeasance in doing their jobs.

The fact that the delegates have been disenfranchised by not reconvening would be cause to hold a rump convention. Following all the rules and procedures of the regular convention and presenting it to the National Rules Committee. I would video record all of it.

Maybe a call to the State Attorney General could get some questions answered.
The time line for filing a contestment deals with from the date of an election. Hah!
There has been no election..........yet.

The call would have to come from a registered voter in Neveda, preferably, a delegate.:confused::mad:

MozoVote
05-03-2008, 07:38 AM
The strongest legal challenge is to complete the vote for the 9 delegates from the districts. The delegates paid their own travel costs, possibly some entry fees to the state GOP for the convention - there is civil liability on the NVGOP if the counts are not performed.

The best way to block the mail-in vote is to QUICKLY get the list and organize a new convention before the NVGOP has time to print mailers. I have a feeling they can't just mail the ballots... they need to inform the delegates of what the decision is, and when the ballots will be mailed, and the deadline for getting them in.

But, Bob Beers is right, that calling for a new convention is risky because it may not get a quorum.

All the information I've read from the Reno convention, was that Paul had around 40%-45% of the delegates. This is where the deal-making with the Huckabee and Romney people comes in. You need to come up with convention rules that are fair and appealing enough to them, so that they will support attending another convention.