PDA

View Full Version : A BIG Question

pinkmandy
05-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Just read the MO thread about the messed up convention. I'm so tired of hearing this, over and over. How many times does it have to happen? At what point in time can we actually hold the national GOP itself responsible? If we pushed such an effort, could we unbind McNut's delegates due to fraud in the GOP? Open up the national convention? Maybe we need to work from the bottom up but what if we start going after, legally, the top down? Challenge the party's legitimacy?

Kludge
05-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Political parties are private organizations and have the right to do whatever they want, so long as they honor their contracts.

pinkmandy
05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Kludge- what contracts? I'm willing to research this. I just don't see how they can legally do everything they have done AND put forth THE Repub candidate with any credibility. There has to be something?

asgardshill
05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Just read the MO thread about the messed up convention. I'm so tired of hearing this, over and over. How many times does it have to happen? At what point in time can we actually hold the national GOP itself responsible? If we pushed such an effort, could we unbind McNut's delegates due to fraud in the GOP? Open up the national convention? Maybe we need to work from the bottom up but what if we start going after, legally, the top down? Challenge the party's legitimacy?

The political parties in the US are private entities, not part of the government. Can anyone force a private entity to do something? Other than lobbying and persuasion and encouraging change from within, I just don't see how it would be possible. It would be like filing a lawsuit against McDonalds demanding they take Chicken McNuggets off their menu and replace it with Tuna Casserole Surprise.

Now if it could be proven that the Republican Party were breaking some law, a great case could be made for legal action against them. But are general idiocy and disorganization and supporting the wrong candidate criminal offenses?

I completely understand and empathize with people's exasperation with the process. But I just don't see where anything could be done via the court system to mandate that it be changed.

pinkmandy
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Damn this system is messed up. There is NO accountability. Only 2 parties debate, only 2 parties are given any attention, only the candidates THEY want...and we have NO option other than trying to change a party that is pissing me off. I wish there was a way we could challenge their "right" or whatever it is to even put up a candidate. I don't think a party that breaks its own rules repeatedly should just be "given" a spot like that. I'm just so mad. Sorry guys.

ClockwiseSpark
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Damn this system is messed up. There is NO accountability. Only 2 parties debate, only 2 parties are given any attention, only the candidates THEY want...and we have NO option other than trying to change a party that is pissing me off. I wish there was a way we could challenge their "right" or whatever it is to even put up a candidate. I don't think a party that breaks its own rules repeatedly should just be "given" a spot like that. I'm just so mad. Sorry guys.

Your not alone in your anger and frustration, not that knowing that helps.

Our local GOP "interpreted" the rules in a way that gave them complete discretion in regards to committee member appointments. Needless to say that completely nullifies all the work we've done since all of our detractors seem to be on the committees or in other positions of power.

That being said, there were about 15-20 people who regularly attend the GOP meetings (Old Guard), with the Ron Paul people there it was closer to about 70. They know they need our numbers and our passion but they refuse to allow us have a voice.

Personally I think the best way to hit them is to create local offshoots of the party.
Don't support their candidates, put up your own. They see it as dividing the vote and that's just fine, the message is quite clear. We will not compromise, we will not make back room deals....straighten up or get the hell out of the way because we will roll right over you.

MozoVote
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Personally I think the best way to hit them is to create local offshoots of the party. Don't support their candidates, put up your own.

In areas with really entrenched party bosses, it may be necessary to establish a competing party structure. When a splinter group begins to win offices, it will draw attention and clout. Eventually the old branch just withers away on its own.

The Republican party itself is a splinter from the Democratic-Republic party. It can happen.

ClockwiseSpark
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
In areas with really entrenched party bosses, it may be necessary to establish a competing party structure. When a splinter group begins to win offices, it will draw attention and clout. Eventually the old branch just withers away on its own.

The Republican party itself is a splinter from the Democratic-Republic party. It can happen.

You have any more info on these splinter groups? So far everything I have found hasn't been terribly useful.

pepperpete1
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Your not alone in your anger and frustration, not that knowing that helps.

Our local GOP "interpreted" the rules in a way that gave them complete discretion in regards to committee member appointments. Needless to say that completely nullifies all the work we've done since all of our detractors seem to be on the committees or in other positions of power.

That being said, there were about 15-20 people who regularly attend the GOP meetings (Old Guard), with the Ron Paul people there it was closer to about 70. They know they need our numbers and our passion but they refuse to allow us have a voice.

Personally I think the best way to hit them is to create local offshoots of the party.
Don't support their candidates, put up your own. They see it as dividing the vote and that's just fine, the message is quite clear. We will not compromise, we will not make back room deals....straighten up or get the hell out of the way because we will roll right over you.

Each state has it's own rules. That being said, they all have to NOT conflict with the national rules and the election laws of their state.

Each infraction of the loyalists needs to be dealt with on it's own. There are some states, like Louisiana, that the party actually broke the election laws of the state.

If the party leaders, non-Paul supporters, are not challenged or a contest is not filed, they will get away with it and the battle is theirs. Any voter is able to make a challenge or contestment, of any infractions in their voting district.

I know that I feel like Pinkmandy, and am very perturbed by all the shenanigans of the party elite running rough shod over their own rules and spinning the truth to make it look like the RP supporters are rough, crude, country bumpkins, that FORCE their way to change the platforms back into what the GOP always stood for in the beginning.

soapmistress
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
We could start a party called the Grandkids Of Paul and then confuse everyone with the GOP thing. Think of the fun headlines! GOP calls McCain a warmonger or GOP calls for new 911 investigation... ahh the possibilities!