PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota GOP Announce Strawpoll

TexMac
08-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Heads up in Midwest!

South Dakota GOP Announce Strawpoll (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/08/21/south_dakota_gop_announce_strawpoll.html)

As one of the few states that resisted the rush to the front of primary season, South Dakota's June 3 contest is likely to hold little weight. In order to increase their influence, the state GOP has announced its first-ever presidential strawpoll, the Sioux City Journal (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/blogs/politically_speaking/?p=331) reports.

Voting will take place at the Republican party booth "at the South Dakota State Fair in Huron Aug. 30 thru Sept. 3. Voting at the fair will be open to anyone who will be 18 by June 3, 2008, and the ballot will list Republican candidates who have participated in nationally televised debates or are polling 5 percent or higher."

shrugged0106
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Heads up in Midwest!

South Dakota GOP Announce Strawpoll (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/08/21/south_dakota_gop_announce_strawpoll.html)

As one of the few states that resisted the rush to the front of primary season, South Dakota's June 3 contest is likely to hold little weight. In order to increase their influence, the state GOP has announced its first-ever presidential strawpoll, the Sioux City Journal (http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/blogs/politically_speaking/?p=331) reports.

Voting will take place at the Republican party booth "at the South Dakota State Fair in Huron Aug. 30 thru Sept. 3. Voting at the fair will be open to anyone who will be 18 by June 3, 2008, and the ballot will list Republican candidates who have participated in nationally televised debates or are polling 5 percent or higher."

This may be a tough one. I seem to recall seeing a map of supporters somewhere that showed the Dakota's as blank. I hope it has changed since!

specsaregood
08-22-2007, 07:06 AM
./

transistor
08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
my friend and i will be going, so that's at least 2 votes :)

danda
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Any problem with out of staters showing up and voting? The article doesn't mention.

0zzy
08-24-2007, 01:57 PM
He SUPPORTS the growing of hemp. He should be able to easily get the Dakota farmers, if they only heard his message.

rich34
08-24-2007, 02:05 PM
my friend and i will be going, so that's at least 2 votes :)

Take as many people as you can possibly fit into your car! :)

surf
08-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Transistor: my brother and i own some farm land in Delmont (south of Mitchell, i believe). We rent it to a distant cousin, but anyway - i'm wondering if you are from near there and/or if you could find someone near there to put up a Ron Paul sign. As i remember, it's not a well traveled road by any stretch, but i'm sure it could be the talk of Delmont...

i may write a letter to the Sioux Falls (Argus) mirroring the one written in the Yankton paper if you think a letter from an out-of-stater (Washington State) would be well recieved.
thanks

transistor
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Transistor: my brother and i own some farm land in Delmont (south of Mitchell, i believe). We rent it to a distant cousin, but anyway - i'm wondering if you are from near there and/or if you could find someone near there to put up a Ron Paul sign. As i remember, it's not a well traveled road by any stretch, but i'm sure it could be the talk of Delmont...

i may write a letter to the Sioux Falls (Argus) mirroring the one written in the Yankton paper if you think a letter from an out-of-stater (Washington State) would be well recieved.
thanks

I'm from Sioux Falls, which is about 110 miles away. Unfortunately, I'm never in that area and don't know anyone who lives around there. If you had land bordering interstate, I'd drive that far, but with Delmont only having a population of 235 and being out of the way of everything, I don't know if it would be a good investment of time. :(

As far as writing to the Argus Leader, I know I'd appreciate it, but most readers probably wouldn't. South Dakotans are very fussy about who they listen to. Just look what happened when John Thune campaigned that Daschle had become out of tune with South Dakotans because he bought a house in Washington D.C.

The only out of state letters I see in the Argus are from people that recently visited and are complimenting the state. You do own land here though, so I think you could put that location on your letter in good conscience. :D

billm317
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I informed the two South Dakota meetup groups about this.

Thunderbolt
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM

transistor
08-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Any problem with out of staters showing up and voting? The article doesn't mention.

anyone find an answer to this?

Shink
08-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm from Sioux Falls, which is about 110 miles away. Unfortunately, I'm never in that area and don't know anyone who lives around there. If you had land bordering interstate, I'd drive that far, but with Delmont only having a population of 235 and being out of the way of everything, I don't know if it would be a good investment of time. :(

As far as writing to the Argus Leader, I know I'd appreciate it, but most readers probably wouldn't. South Dakotans are very fussy about who they listen to. Just look what happened when John Thune campaigned that Daschle had become out of tune with South Dakotans because he bought a house in Washington D.C.

The only out of state letters I see in the Argus are from people that recently visited and are complimenting the state. You do own land here though, so I think you could put that location on your letter in good conscience. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Rapid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellsworth_AFB

Is there any way you could put up signs near the military bases there? That'd probably be one of the fastest ways to make some impact there. I was going to suggest Minot AFB, but that's just a bit out of the way (as in, wrong state). Also, I don't know where farmers gather, but if you can get a handle on that, that'd be a wonderful place to hit up.

dircha
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM

Yeah if we can get confirmation that it is not an issue, I'm sure we can get a bunch of people to drive out from Minnesota.