PDA

View Full Version : Efficacy of homemade signs?

NewbieInVermont
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Does it pay to be a nut case standing alone on a street corner holding homemade cardboard signs? This works well for me, as I've got time to do it, and no social life anyway, so I don't care what anyone thinks :D But seriously, it's not the same as canvassing, but do you think it works or will people just pass me off as a conspiracy nut? (I don't look like one though). I made a sign that says "Ron Paul is still running for President! 100,000 YouTube vids THEY don't want you to see"
I use it as a sun shield whenever I park my car. I'm thinking of borrowing "legalize the constitution" and "Your TV lies - YouTube Ron Paul" and "I'm voting Ron Paul because I think for myself". And maybe something like "Vote Ron Paul and STOP: the war, policing the world, the income tax, the Patriot Act,...." (and then go right on down the list). Or "Take back YOUR freedom, YOUR income, YOUR troops,..." etc.
Thoughts??

dsentell
04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
ALL your ideas are WONDERFUL!

Anything to get the good Doctor's name out there!

Welcome to the r3volution, Patriot!

crazyfingers
04-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm not sure, but didn't Vermont already hold its primary? If so, it's time to get involved in the GOP and support liberty candidates at all levels. That's the only way we're going to take back this country.

e: Never too late to introduce people to Ron Paul's ideas, though! That sunscreen idea is a good one. I just got a new bumper sticker today. It says " "No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him."--Thomas Jefferson Libertarian" Might as well get people to stop and think when they're stuck behind me in traffic.

OptionsTrader
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I think it looks unprofessional myself. I've never been a bandwagon "you're right!" kind of person and say what my opinion really is. I think cardboard signs make Paul look like a non viable candidate. At least stencil some corrugated plastic coroplast.

NewbieInVermont
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm not sure, but didn't Vermont already hold its primary? If so, it's time to get involved in the GOP and support liberty candidates at all levels. That's the only way we're going to take back this country.

Yes we did have our primary, and I actually didn't discover RP until after the primary! I knew some things, but not much. I figure anyone who gets turned on to RP can still write him in, right? That's what I'm going to do.

As for the GOP etc., I really don't know how to go about getting involved in that. I'll have to do more looking into it, but the info I've received about getting involved so far, I've found rather confusing. :confused: Will look at new candidates as well.

NewbieInVermont
04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I think it looks unprofessional myself. I've never been a bandwagon "you're right!" kind of person and say what my opinion really is. I think cardboard signs make Paul look like a non viable candidate. At least stencil some corrugated plastic coroplast.

That's what I'm afraid of. However, through my work, I have access to large white pieces of cardboard with scalloped edges and I write neatly. Is that any better do you think? At least it's not brown or torn cardboard.

crazyfingers
04-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes we did have our primary, and I actually didn't discover RP until after the primary! I knew some things, but not much. I figure anyone who gets turned on to RP can still write him in, right? That's what I'm going to do.

As for the GOP etc., I really don't know how to go about getting involved in that. I'll have to do more looking into it, but the info I've received about getting involved so far, I've found rather confusing. :confused: Will look at new candidates as well.

Well, you're right in time. The 'r3volution' is just beginning to heat up.

I'm not sure if there is any comprehensive guide for getting involved with the GOP. I'd recommend checking out http://www.meetup.com/ and looking for a "Ron Paul" group in your area. It may still be active.

Also check out http://www.paulcongress.com/ to keep abreast of candidates running on platforms similar to Dr. Paul's. I am working on a website that will provide the grassroots with means to support them (other than fund raising). We can and must shift the balance of power in this country.

constituent
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
At least stencil some corrugated plastic coroplast.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2940/r3919431109063502uw5.gif

NewbieInVermont
04-30-2008, 08:49 PM
OK, I found this article about making signs with corrugated plastic:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/24573/how_to_make_professional_looking_signs.html

Thanks guys. I'm off to Amazon to order our Manifesto!

slacker921
04-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Newbie - read the book and pass it on. That's the best thing you can do right now.

Verad
05-01-2008, 02:09 AM
Please do not take the following personally.

Based on what I've observed over the past several months, I believe that the best use of time is organizing your local area, starting with canvassing. The very best organization would include how various issues, and if you find Paul supporters, it is all the better. An organized neighborhood allows you to (1) find allies, (2) know the local political climate, (3) encourage each other to vote and support liberty-minded candidates in your area and state, and (4) organize with others to perform larger events/efforts, like dropping signs around your area (painting the town Ron).

The next best use of time (very early when a campaign is in high gear) is to do fundraising, which allows the campaign itself to get out the information they most want people to hear. Though the Paul campaign is not in this stage (arguably), it is still relevant for other liberty candidates.

Next is getting involved in the Republican or Libertarian infrastructure in your area and getting to know the activists there. This is where the Libertarian party consistently fails due to a lack of real organization (though it doesn't help that they have to fight everyone else to get noticed). One of the most important offices in this nation is the precinct committeeman, because they organize their district for their party (you should have a leg up here), and help determine candidates to run in the future. The precinct committeemen of today determine (or sometimes become) the leaders of tomorrow.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but as fun as sign-waving is, there are other things that should take precedence. I personally deeply regret the time I spent sign-waving in SC prior to the primary that I could have spent helping the local supporters get organized through canvassing and other means.

NewbieInVermont
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
No offense taken. Believe me, I've tried to find Paul Supporters in my area. There was a meetup group here, but they've given up and disbanded, despite my attempts to get things started with them. Will keep looking. Gas price makes it hard to travel much distance.

crazyfingers
05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
No offense taken. Believe me, I've tried to find Paul Supporters in my area. There was a meetup group here, but they've given up and disbanded, despite my attempts to get things started with them. Will keep looking. Gas price makes it hard to travel much distance.

Don't forget about the Free State Project (http://www.freestateproject.com) next door. If you're looking to meet freedom activists, you should consider attending (all or part of) Porcfest (http://www.freestateproject.org/festival/) if you possibly can.

robert4rp08
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I've always favored informative homemade signs over the campaign signs or rEVOLution signs.

Rhys
05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
people will avoid looking at you because they'll think it's a will work for food sign... unless you're a girl.

NewbieInVermont
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
people will avoid looking at you because they'll think it's a will work for food sign... unless you're a girl.

I'm a girl! :D (cute too ;))

kigol
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
:cool:

ronpaulhawaii
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Cute girls and homemade signs? Hmmm...

Here we go

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/mkauai/HPIM0428.jpg

eok321
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm a girl! :D (cute too ;))

Youtube or it isnt so!

Just kiddin...welcome!

New York For Paul
05-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I would do signs in combination with a canvass. Target a certain neighborhood, then do the canvass and it will give you something to talk about with voters who remember the signs.

slacker921
05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Show me a presidential candidate who has done well by sign waves and canvassing.. . seriously. Please. Show me hard facts that show that these two things work.

Also please show something that says that homemade/spray painted cardboard signs give the same impression and results as the nice screen printed signs.

It just seems that out of the hundreds or possibly thousands of political campaigns that I've seen through local and national races I've never seen one that used sign waves or used homemade spray painted signs. If either of these were successful then surely at some point in the past 20 or so years that I've been watching politics someone would have tried them and been successful.. but I can't recall any.

I do recall about a year ago being in Phoenix and seeing some spray painted Ron Paul signs and being very turned off by them.. so much so that I when I saw articles about him on Digg I almost didn't bother reading them.