PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Questions re. RFID

NewbieInVermont
04-30-2008, 05:33 PM
I've been reading on Spychips.com, but I still have questions.
1. If you are a person who is not influenced by advertising, are there other reasons to be specifically concerned about companies tracking your shopping and purchasing habits?
2. Is there any reason the government would want to know your shopping and purchasing habits other than to track purchases of such things as guns and bomb-making materials?
3. Besides the government tracking criminals and "terrorists" (such as ourselves ;) ), are there other reasons the government would want to track a person? (And yes, I know there's much more than shopping habits that can be tracked)
4. Do you think that many companies will find it more profitable to not use RFID, possibly even forcing out competitors that do use RFID - in much the same way some products, like milk, have labels stating that they do not use Artificial Growth Hormones or GMOs?

As far as I can see, some of the biggest threats posed by RFID are
1.The possibility that in the future people like us could be denied services, etc. simply for disagreeing with the government.
2.The great potential for increased identity theft
3.Possible health threats posed by living in a world of electromagnetic field-producing devices.
That's just my take on it.

Also, anyone know the current status of the "RFID Right to Know Act"?

bander87
05-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Good post so far I think, you covered some important issues.

The only comment I would make is for the companies not using the RFID chip, there may be a more specific and smaller target market, but they will not have as much potential to track your buying habbits to make better marketing decisions for their business. For example, retailers like Walmart can track all your buying habbits (probably not everyone) and this helps them gather better information to make decisions.

RSLudlum
05-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Many retailers already track your purchases if you get one of their 'store discount/preferred customer cards' but the big difference here is it is VOLUNTARY not mandated.

http://www.bi-lo.com/bilo/images/bonuscard_w140.jpg

http://www.foodlion.com/images/mvp_card.gif