PDA

View Full Version : Disabled group members arrested at McCain's office

Join The Paul Side
04-30-2008, 02:03 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — At least 20 disabled activists, most of them in wheelchairs, were arrested outside Sen. John McCain's offices Tuesday after being refused a meeting with the GOP presidential nominee-to-be over a bill to expand Medicaid coverage to more people who want in-home care.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iRaOHDElJMkFNQH8hon_k4ew7-LAD90BQ82O0

Truly sad. I thought we had freedom to assemble as a right in this country. :eek:

I understand Dr. Paul's views of private property and property rights. But what would he think of this incident?

Give me liberty
04-30-2008, 03:01 AM
This shows how much of an Antichrist McCain is.

LibertyEagle
04-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I understand Dr. Paul's views of private property and property rights. But what would he think of this incident?

If this was on PUBLIC property, that does not pertain.

constituent
04-30-2008, 05:53 AM
screw them and their in-home care.

sorry, i just read this article a couple of weeks ago about similar problems w/ Austin Metro...

seems that they should abandon light rail ideas to make sure they've got the money for
curbside pick up and drop-off for the handicapped. so, not only do Metro users get screwed
on their daily fare (subsidizing the curbside service expense), now they've got the same
people trying to screw up metro rail.

handicapped ≠ owed

LibertyEagle
04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
screw them and their in-home care.

Maybe I misread something, but if the money is going to be spent anyway, I don't see why the money can't be used to enable them to stay at home, rather than toss them in a nursing home. People have been talking about this issue for years.

handicapped ≠ owed

Agreed.

angelatc
04-30-2008, 06:00 AM
I don't like the fact that they got arrested. I would certainly support their right to do that. But I don't want to extend Medic Aid coverage to in-home care. Reagan cut that crap out.

constituent
04-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Maybe I misread something, but if the money is going to be spent anyway, I don't see why the money can't be used to enable them to stay at home, rather than toss them in a nursing home. People have been talking about this issue for years.

no, you're right. i'm just biased toward my brother-in-law in the nursing home industry :D;).

qh4dotcom
04-30-2008, 06:23 AM
I still don't understand why they got arrested...what law they broke

constituent
04-30-2008, 06:34 AM
I still don't understand why they got arrested...what law they broke

public obnoxiousness or some other such law. (there isn't a law for that?)

cops are arrest happy these days. if the police get called, someone is goin' in.

are there any charges yet?

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
its more expensive to care for people in nursing homes etc....its cheaper and its healthier to care for them at home

angelatc
04-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Maybe because it costs almost twice as much to provide in-home care? One nurse in a nursing home can care for a whole floor of patients. Or, that nurse can sit by the bedside of one sleeping patient in a private home.

Screw that.

angelatc
04-30-2008, 08:12 AM
its more expensive to care for people in nursing homes etc....its cheaper and its healthier to care for them at home

That's not correct at all. What's your source on that?

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
That's not correct at all. What's your source on that?

because im a nurse and i kno that to stay in a nsg home its over $20,000 a month and thats not to mention if they aquire a nosocomial infection which can prolong their stay and cost even more money etc....its not about sources its just how it works...why do u think hospitals seem to hurry their patients out the door?? because it would cost more to keep them in the hosp, risk that they get an infection which will prolong their stay and require extended treatment and that will equal more money because if u aquire an infection in the hospital they are required to foot the bill for ur treatment...i kno states have programs where they will pay family members to take care of their loved ones at home because its cheaper than caring for them in nsg homes...people dont like to do it tho because it is very hard work

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Maybe because it costs almost twice as much to provide in-home care? One nurse in a nursing home can care for a whole floor of patients. Or, that nurse can sit by the bedside of one sleeping patient in a private home.

Screw that.

thats not true...usually patients are in nsg homes because they are safety risks ie fall precaution, asp precautions, confusion altered thought process rt dementia, risk for failure to thrive etc etc or they may have a deep ulcer which requires antibiotics and a wound nurse to do the dressings....

home care doesnt require a nurse to sit by ur bed and care for u in the way ur thinking...most families can care for their elders...families can deliver their meds at the right time (it doesnt take a nurse to do that) families can bathe and feed their elders (again it doesnt take a nurse to do that) families can be taught about signs and symptoms of infection.....

if we could get more people to take care of their eldders at home it would alleviate some of the burden nurses have in the nsg homes....how much attention do u think these pts get in a nsg home when a nurse is assigned to 30-40 pts?? all the nurse has time to do is pass pills and thats it...

it would be a great idea to have more people stay home....there are agencies which provide nurses to go to ur house and do sterile dressings bring another months worth of meds perform assessments etc....there are actually alot of great programs that do this....

pts would get better care at home with their family rather than at a nsg home where they are left in their piss for hours on end....they get no personal attention from busy under staffed nurses....and they are lonely and depressed

constituent
04-30-2008, 09:02 AM
http://www.remaltd.com/images/oyun/pc/Jacked.jpg

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
bump

Rhys
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
let them stay in jail. Lots of in-home care there.

jk. they shouldn't get arrested, but they shouldn't ask me to pay for their nurse. My mom just got off chemo. She nor I asked the government for any help, it's not their place.

Everyone wants a free lunch. It's not free and I'm too broke to buy people nurses. Maybe their families can help like I had to help my mom.

Plus, there's no rights to working legs. I feel like I'm being really mean, which is what the liberals would want me to think, so pooh on all this.

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Maybe their families can help like I had to help my mom.

thats the whole point...first of all there are not enough nurses to take care of our sick as is, so what makes u think that thered be enough nurses to take care of each individual at home?? the whole point is to get as many people out of nsg homes and get their family to take care of them...agencies provide nurses that can do dressings and physical assessments etc...but the family can do most of what the nurse does...keep pt safe...pass pills...monitor for infection etc

pinkmandy
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I personally think Ron Paul would have talked to them and would have explained his position. McCain is an ass.

angelatc
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
thats not true...usually patients are in nsg homes because they are safety risks ie fall precaution, asp precautions, confusion altered thought process rt dementia, risk for failure to thrive etc etc or they may have a deep ulcer which requires antibiotics and a wound nurse to do the dressings....

home care doesnt require a nurse to sit by ur bed and care for u in the way ur thinking...most families can care for their elders...families can deliver their meds at the right time (it doesnt take a nurse to do that) families can bathe and feed their elders (again it doesnt take a nurse to do that) families can be taught about signs and symptoms of infection.....

if we could get more people to take care of their eldders at home it would alleviate some of the burden nurses have in the nsg homes....how much attention do u think these pts get in a nsg home when a nurse is assigned to 30-40 pts?? all the nurse has time to do is pass pills and thats it...

it would be a great idea to have more people stay home....there are agencies which provide nurses to go to ur house and do sterile dressings bring another months worth of meds perform assessments etc....there are actually alot of great programs that do this....

pts would get better care at home with their family rather than at a nsg home where they are left in their piss for hours on end....they get no personal attention from busy under staffed nurses....and they are lonely and depressed

You are so wrong. Again, what's your source? Bear in mind that cost is a different issue than quality of care, but as a nation full of aging baby boomers, rest assured that we can't afford to put a government nurse in every home.

Also bear in mind that I've been through a rare disease, cancer, old age, paralysis, injury recovery, and a long term coma just in my immediate family. In addition, my mother in law was a nursing home nurse, and my grandmother was a long term nursing home resident. Incidently, My grandmother fell and broke her hip when she was being properly cared for in her home, which meant a nurse visited her every 3 days. Apparently she slipped as the nurse was leaving, meaning that she was left lying on the floor for 3 days until the next nurse got there.

So assuming that I don't understand what nursing care is all sbout is just wrong. I've lived it - the aforementioned rare disease was in me. I had a home nurse for a while.

Most families can't care for their elders. Would you be comfortable giving your Mom a sponge bath? Cleaning her genitals when she messed herself? Being available 24/7 to do all those things? Are you strong enough to lift her out of bed when the sheets need changed?

My mother-in-law was a nursing home nurse. She was a great friend to many of her patients. Let me remind you that what you are suggesting is that the government should pay for personal attention that the family is supposed to be providing. Putting a private nurse in a home won't make the grandkids come visit, not will it mean the end of bad nursing practices.

In fact, I suspect that it will actually increase the incidences of elder abuse, because the in-home providers will be under less direct supervision than nursing home nurses are.

Considering that there's a shortage of nurses now, wages will skyrocket when we provide everybody a nurse to live in their homes. How are we going to pay for that? Government's job isn't to make people happy.

Not to mention that the minute the government starts to look at you as an expense, you're a liability, and cutting costs will directly mean euthanization of the sick and the elderly.

By the way, my great grandmother spent her last years in an assisted living facility. She loved it. The staff looked in on her, but it was basically living in a condo that had emergency buttons in every room. She made lots of friends because she was surrounded by other people her age who could relate to the trials and tribulations of going through what she was going through. She took a dance class, played euchre on Wednesday nights, got on a bus to go shopping, went to movies...all things that she was happy that she didn't have to ask family members to do for her. She cherished her independence, and that facility allowed her to remain independent.

She died suddenly of a stroke, but I was around that place long enough to see that the different tiers of care required were best served by a central planning facility. As their abilities diminished, they were phased into the next level of care. When they couldn't be trusted to cook, they were provided meals. When they couldn't stand, they were provided wheelchairs and the aides were scheduled to come around and help them dress. When they couldn't get out of bed, then they were moved into a traditional nursing home setting, because a bed-ridden person doesn't need a 4 room apartment.

None of this should be government supplied though. It only drives the cost up.

angelatc
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.remaltd.com/images/oyun/pc/Jacked.jpg

So arrest me!

Join The Paul Side
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I think McCain should be arrested. ;)

Cinderella
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
You are so wrong. Again, what's your source? Bear in mind that cost is a different issue than quality of care, but as a nation full of aging baby boomers, rest assured that we can't afford to put a government nurse in every home..

my sources come from my own personal experience....i am a nurse, i work it, i live it, i breathe it, i study it....now obiously u didnt read my post...or if u did u missed what i said completely....I NEVER SAID A NURSE SHOULD BE PLACED IN EVERY HOME....thats IMPOSSIBLE...as i said before there is a major nsg shortage not only is there no money to do that but there isnt enough man power....

Also bear in mind that I've been through a rare disease, cancer, old age, paralysis, injury recovery, and a long term coma just in my immediate family. In addition, my mother in law was a nursing home nurse, and my grandmother was a long term nursing home resident. Incidently, My grandmother fell and broke her hip when she was being properly cared for in her home, which meant a nurse visited her every 3 days. Apparently she slipped as the nurse was leaving, meaning that she was left lying on the floor for 3 days until the next nurse got there. .
and didnt i say that most people who are in nsg homes are there because they are safety risks?? if they had families available to help them they could stay home and not be placed in nsg homes...accidents can be avoided with help from families.....

Most families can't care for their elders. Would you be comfortable giving your Mom a sponge bath? Cleaning her genitals when she messed herself? Being available 24/7 to do all those things? Are you strong enough to lift her out of bed when the sheets need changed? .

absolutely i would be comfortable doing that!!! its my mother she gave me life she cared for me when i was sick and wiped my ass when i was a baby...why would i not do the same for her if she wasnt able to do it herself?? i care for people at my job (people who are not my mother)...i wash them...i bathe them...i clean them after theyve been incontinent...now if i can do this for someone elses mother why would i not want to do it for my mother??? this is one major problem with our country...we are quick to push the "burden" of caring for our families onto others...would u rather have ur mothers genitals cleaned by a 40 yr old man just because its his job and u and everyone else in ur family doesnt have the time?? do u think these people will really do their best to make sure all the stool and urine is cleaned out to prevent ur mothers bum from suffering from skin breakdown?? DO U THINK UR MOTHER WOULD BE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT?? i dont think so...ive witnessed aides just slap a diaper on people and call it a day...it would be my honor to care for my mother or anyone else in my family for that matter!

My mother-in-law was a nursing home nurse. She was a great friend to many of her patients. Let me remind you that what you are suggesting is that the government should pay for personal attention that the family is supposed to be providing. Putting a private nurse in a home won't make the grandkids come visit, not will it mean the end of bad nursing practices.

In fact, I suspect that it will actually increase the incidences of elder abuse, because the in-home providers will be under less direct supervision than nursing home nurses are...

now when did i suggest the gov should pay for personal nurses in each home??? ive been suggesting that families stand up and take care of their elders rather than dump them off in nsg homes just because they dont have the "time"...MAKE TIME....thats great ur mother in law was a friend to her pts but im sure she didnt get to spend alot of quality and personal time with them...nsg home nurses have a pt to nurse ratio of 30:1 sometimes 40:1...so im sure she was very friendly with them for the whole 5 minutes it takes to pass them pills and do dressings and assessments...in case u didnt kno the cna do all the work...they bathe, feed, transport, and dress the pts...the nurse doesnt have time for this......having families care for their elders wont eleiminate bad nsg practice but it will alleviate the under staffing and allow the nurse to provide more personal care to those who need it

im not saying put a nurse in the home...how many times should i repeat that for u? and i doubt grandkids come to visit their grandparents whether there in nsg homes or at home...the gov has done an excellent job at destroying our family values...family is no longer the most important thing to kids

Considering that there's a shortage of nurses now, wages will skyrocket when we provide everybody a nurse to live in their homes. How are we going to pay for that? Government's job isn't to make people happy. ..

again i didnt suggest this...families need to take responsibility of their elders

Not to mention that the minute the government starts to look at you as an expense, you're a liability, and cutting costs will directly mean euthanization of the sick and the elderly. ..

uh yea gov already do that....medicare/medicaid??? why do u think people loose there homes when they go into nsg home?? because insurance only pays for it for the first month...there after ur on ur own basically...so people give up their homes to move into nsg homes...its more cost effective to have families take care of their elders

By the way, my great grandmother spent her last years in an assisted living facility. She loved it. The staff looked in on her, but it was basically living in a condo that had emergency buttons in every room. She made lots of friends because she was surrounded by other people her age who could relate to the trials and tribulations of going through what she was going through. She took a dance class, played euchre on Wednesday nights, got on a bus to go shopping, went to movies...all things that she was happy that she didn't have to ask family members to do for her. She cherished her independence, and that facility allowed her to remain independent.

She died suddenly of a stroke, but I was around that place long enough to see that the different tiers of care required were best served by a central planning facility. As their abilities diminished, they were phased into the next level of care. When they couldn't be trusted to cook, they were provided meals. When they couldn't stand, they were provided wheelchairs and the aides were scheduled to come around and help them dress. When they couldn't get out of bed, then they were moved into a traditional nursing home setting, because a bed-ridden person doesn't need a 4 room apartment.

None of this should be government supplied though. It only drives the cost up.

assisted living is completely different from nsg homes....look it up...im not going into detail to explain the differences but its quite different....

what im saying is that our family values are down the toilet...people are quick to throw their families into nsg homes rather than sacrafice and work together as a large family unit to deliver the care a loved one needs...it can be done...to say its impossible because people dont have time is selfish and ignorant...the real issue is people dont want to have to take care of their families...theyre content with putting them in a home and visiting on weekends

Cinderella
05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
bump