PDA

View Full Version : Congressmen never listen

Carehn
04-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Dear Chase:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

After a decade of consistent progress during the Reagan and Bush Administrations, almost every available indicator shows the United States is now losing ground in its efforts to reduce illegal drug use, especially among young people. Since 1992, the number of 12 to 17 year-olds using marijuana has almost doubled to 2.9 million, compared with the 1992 level of 1.6 million. One in three high school seniors now smokes marijuana, and 48.4 percent of the Class of 1995 had tried drugs by graduation day.

Further, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) marijuana contains known toxins and cancer-causing chemicals that are stored in fat cells for up to several months. Marijuana users experience the same health problems as tobacco smokers, such as bronchitis, emphysema and bronchial asthma. Marijuana use also causes increased heart rate, dryness of mouth, reddening of the eyes, impaired motor skills and concentration, and frequent hunger. Extended use increases risks to the lungs and reproductive system, as well as suppression of the immune system. Hallucinations, fantasies and paranoia are also occasionally reported. The use of marijuana often leads to the use of other more dangerous illegal drugs. According to a survey conducted by Phoenix House, an organization that runs drug abuse treatment centers and conducts extensive research, 60 percent of adolescents in treatment agreed that using marijuana made it easier for them to consume other drugs, including cocaine, methamphetamines, and LSD.

It is for these reasons I am not a supporter of the legalization of marijuana. The legalization of marijuana would lead to increased use at a time when we are trying to reduce the use of drugs in our nation -- especially among young people. Such an act would send the wrong message. While I appreciate and respect your views on this matter, I do not currently support the legalization of marijuana and believe that if such a law were enacted, it would have dramatic unintended consequences.

Once again, thank you for taking time to write to me with your concerns. The thoughts and opinions of Idahoans are important to me as your Representative in the United States Congress. I

also encourage you to visit my website at www.house.gov/simpson to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter and to read more about my views on a variety of issues.

Sincerely,

S

Mike Simpson

Member of Congress

RSLudlum
04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Look up his voting record and see if he has contradicted himself in this reply vs. his votes, inform him of his contradictions (if any can be found) and state that you will be passing the info along to more of his constituents. ;)

soapmistress
04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh no! Not the fantasies again!!!

"fantasies and paranoia are also occasionally reported" lol

ninepointfive
04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm high and reading about politics on this forum this very moment!

Carehn
04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I could not find my sent email to him but i pointed out some things he did not respond to. This has happened before in other emails.

As far as pointing out his voting record and threatening him with it i feel it is best to be respectful. I don't know how many people email him but he has to know my name by now. :) If i start to be rude he won't even read my emails. Just think, if i keep it up and am showing him respect i may be able to pull him from "the dark side".

RSLudlum
04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I could not find my sent email to him but i pointed out some things he did not respond to. This has happened before in other emails.

As far as pointing out his voting record and threatening him with it i feel it is best to be respectful. I don't know how many people email him but he has to know my name by now. :) If i start to be rude he won't even read my emails. Just think, if i keep it up and am showing him respect i may be able to pull him from "the dark side".

Set an example by 'torturing him with kindness' :D

TastyWheat
04-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Where did he get those marijuana "facts", a 1980s health book?

acptulsa
04-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Why not remind him that liquor stores almost always card kids, while pushers never do?

Staupostek
04-30-2008, 07:48 AM

I can't count the number of times I have encouraged my congressman to vote a certain way just to get a form letter back that usually ignores what I said in my email and thanks me for supporting him on the opposite side of the issue than the one I was advocating. I understand that they can't respond personally to every message they get, but they don't need to send out letters that basically blow you off and rub your nose in the fact that they will not vote your way.

DealzOnWheelz
04-30-2008, 08:45 AM
sounds like this guys been watching reefer madness too much

just tell him that if it is regulated and legal then KIDS WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY IT ONLY ADULTS
like alcohol

you should start a group in idaho to push the legalization for economic reasons

Farming- Hemp produces 3x more ethanol than corn and is 2x as easy to maintain and grows in soil with the same pH level that corn grows in. It can produce the strongest rope in the world. Just these uses along would create a tremendous amount of jobs increasing states revnues(taxes) and stimulating the economy.

there are over 50000 products that can be created from hemp or marijuanna

Theocrat
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Dear Chase:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

After a decade of consistent progress during the Reagan and Bush Administrations, almost every available indicator shows the United States is now losing ground in its efforts to reduce illegal drug use, especially among young people. Since 1992, the number of 12 to 17 year-olds using marijuana has almost doubled to 2.9 million, compared with the 1992 level of 1.6 million. One in three high school seniors now smokes marijuana, and 48.4 percent of the Class of 1995 had tried drugs by graduation day.

Further, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) marijuana contains known toxins and cancer-causing chemicals that are stored in fat cells for up to several months. Marijuana users experience the same health problems as tobacco smokers, such as bronchitis, emphysema and bronchial asthma. Marijuana use also causes increased heart rate, dryness of mouth, reddening of the eyes, impaired motor skills and concentration, and frequent hunger. Extended use increases risks to the lungs and reproductive system, as well as suppression of the immune system. Hallucinations, fantasies and paranoia are also occasionally reported. The use of marijuana often leads to the use of other more dangerous illegal drugs. According to a survey conducted by Phoenix House, an organization that runs drug abuse treatment centers and conducts extensive research, 60 percent of adolescents in treatment agreed that using marijuana made it easier for them to consume other drugs, including cocaine, methamphetamines, and LSD.

It is for these reasons I am not a supporter of the legalization of marijuana. The legalization of marijuana would lead to increased use at a time when we are trying to reduce the use of drugs in our nation -- especially among young people. Such an act would send the wrong message. While I appreciate and respect your views on this matter, I do not currently support the legalization of marijuana and believe that if such a law were enacted, it would have dramatic unintended consequences.

Once again, thank you for taking time to write to me with your concerns. The thoughts and opinions of Idahoans are important to me as your Representative in the United States Congress. I

also encourage you to visit my website at www.house.gov/simpson to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter and to read more about my views on a variety of issues.

Sincerely,

S

Mike Simpson

Member of Congress

You know what I find interesting? If you go to Congressman Simpson's website, take a look at his latest news release article. It's about a bill of his that was passed in the House to rename birds of prey to honor Morley Nelson! How ridiculous is that?! He doesn't care about the medicinal wonders and benefits of marijuana for people, but he is concerned about the nomenclature of some freaking birds. What a loon!

Cogz
04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
While I appreciate and respect your views on this matter, I do not currently support the legalization of marijuana and believe that if such a law were enacted, it would have dramatic unintended consequences.

You mean like blowback?

pinkmandy
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Do they not understand it's their job to REPRESENT us, not protect us from ourselves? They need to stop acting like surrogate parents.

You should advise him to turn off Reefer Madness and watch the documentary, Grass.

CurtisLow
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Congressmen never listen

That's because they are OWNED by corporations.

Carehn
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
sounds like this guys been watching reefer madness too much

just tell him that if it is regulated and legal then KIDS WON'T BE ABLE TO BUY IT ONLY ADULTS
like alcohol

you should start a group in idaho to push the legalization for economic reasons

Farming- Hemp produces 3x more ethanol than corn and is 2x as easy to maintain and grows in soil with the same pH level that corn grows in. It can produce the strongest rope in the world. Just these uses along would create a tremendous amount of jobs increasing states revnues(taxes) and stimulating the economy.

there are over 50000 products that can be created from hemp or marijuanna

the town i live in Hailey/Bellevue Idaho just last summer passed 3/4 laws ;)

The state gov. says NO! so the people have spoken but the state was to busy zoning them out to care.

marijuana in Hailey Idaho (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/509/marijuana_initiatives_pass_hailey_idaho)