PDA

View Full Version : Sooth my ruffled feathers

akforme
04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I have real issues with these types of books. It pisses me off that all the talk show people, pundits and anyone who gets air time all of a sudden writes a book. And quite honestly it bothers me that Ron has done it. Now I'd like to hear why this doesn't bother people or what their thoughts are so I can feel better about buying a copy. I'd like to read it but my distaste for this stuff stops me.

RedLightning
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Don't buy it if you don't want or like it. I like to read so of course I'm going to read a book by Ron Paul.

1000-points-of-fright
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Does it make you feel better to know that he was writing books well before he got any air time? This isn't his first book.

Kludge
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Ron has written a number of books. No reason not to push the revolution on library-goers, and give revolutionaries quotes, refined opinions and renewed spirit for the Revolution.

The One
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Maybe you should take a big dump to help release some of that pinned-up hostility. If you're constipated, try rocking back-and-forth......that usually works.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I have real issues with these types of books. It pisses me off that all the talk show people, pundits and anyone who gets air time all of a sudden writes a book. And quite honestly it bothers me that Ron has done it. Now I'd like to hear why this doesn't bother people or what their thoughts are so I can feel better about buying a copy. I'd like to read it but my distaste for this stuff stops me.

On some levels it bothers me as well. If this is truly a "manifesto" that we want LOTS of people to read... well, why go the dead tree route? Or more specifically why ONLY the dead tree route.

Why not make it available as a PDF for free... I guarantee you the readership (especially among the young) would be VASTLY higher.

Not saying that Ron -- and whoever the ghostwriter(s)/rewriter(s)/editor(s) -- don't deserve to earn anything from it, but in it's current form, it smacks more or "profiteering" or "milking" the supporters, than it does any TRUE desire to get the word out. (And the campaign itself certainly has the funds to PAY any writers or editors involved... w the exception of Ron himself {not legal for campaign to pay him}.)

Heck, my 2300 club ought to earn me a free SIGNED copy... instead of requiring even MORE money from me. :(

hopeforamerica
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Geez, people get pissed at just about anything. There is no way I could be a politician, my skin is not thick enough.

I love that he wrote this book. He is trying to reach as many people as possible and spread the message. ANY tool for the cause of freedom is okay with me.

acptulsa
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Read one of his previous books and see if you have a taste for the author before you commit to buying this one.

ZzzImAsleep
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
What do you think he was writing down during all of those debates that he wasn't allowed to participate in. :)

This is his way of being part of the debate.

MelissaWV
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Books by political and entertainment figures aren't necessarily bad. Remember: Dr. Paul gets very brief sound bite segments to express his views on some of the most complicated sociopolitical issues facing our nation, and the world. He has a great deal more to say, and has put thought into his viewpoints. His "subject matter" evolves daily, and he's incredibly intelligent.

The books are part of his legacy. The standard is: do I care enough about this person to hear more on these viewpoints? With a lot of people, my answer would be "no"... with Dr. Paul it's almost a necessity :)

NightOwl
04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
How is this movement supposed to stay together over the years without a unifying text? Isn't that just obvious?

Second, a major publisher gives the thing credibility. Something you print out and hand to your friend will look stupid and half-assed.

Jeremy
04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
He says in the book that he didn't plan on writing it because they don't even last very long, but he explains that it could be used for years in the future as some sort of guide (idk, read it yourself)... and it will in fact be read years from now.

MS0453
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
On some levels it bothers me as well. If this is truly a "manifesto" that we want LOTS of people to read... well, why go the dead tree route? Or more specifically why ONLY the dead tree route.

Why not make it available as a PDF for free... I guarantee you the readership (especially among the young) would be VASTLY higher.

Not saying that Ron -- and whoever the ghostwriter(s)/rewriter(s)/editor(s) -- don't deserve to earn anything from it, but in it's current form, it smacks more or "profiteering" or "milking" the supporters, than it does any TRUE desire to get the word out. (And the campaign itself certainly has the funds to PAY any writers or editors involved... w the exception of Ron himself {not legal for campaign to pay him}.)

Heck, my 2300 club ought to earn me a free SIGNED copy... instead of requiring even MORE money from me. :(

A number of his books are already available online for free. (http://mises.org/literature.aspx?action=author&Id=392) Any evidence that its had any sort of major effect (especially among the youth)? Now consider the hype concerning "The Audacity of Hope". You may dislike the dead tree route, but its still a powerful, cultural phenomena.

NightOwl
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Another thing: books get attention. We all loved the CNN appearance yesterday, that got to the front page of Digg, right? Well, he was invited on because of his book. He was invited onto Napolitano's show why? Because of his book. He made people on Wall Street take notice why? Because nearly 1,000 people came to his book signing. He's on Bloomberg TV tonight why? Because of the book.

We should have our heads examined if things like this make us anything but thrilled.

brunner
04-29-2008, 02:57 PM

If you have a problem with Capitalism, I'm afraid you're in the wrong movement.

I can't believe some people would object to him writing down his ideology! He's been writing books for ages... but when he does it during/after running a campaign it's suddenly "profiteering" and "milking" the supporters?

Get real. I, for one, have no problem with Dr. Paul publishing his ideas, even it if means (OMG!) he might make a profit (OMG!)... Since when are "free market capitalists" against someone getting paid for their work?

Insanity.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Another thing: books get attention. We all loved the CNN appearance yesterday, that got to the front page of Digg, right? Well, he was invited on because of his book. He was invited onto Napolitano's show why? Because of his book. He made people on Wall Street take notice why? Because nearly 1,000 people came to his book signing. He's on Bloomberg TV tonight why? Because of the book.

We should have our heads examined if things like this make us anything but thrilled.

Well, why are no "excerpts" available online then? THAT is also a "typical" marketing mechanism.

I am NOT saying that the SOLE motivation* is profit... simply that it *IS* one of the MAIN motivations for using this method, and the "captive" audience is just too tempting NOT to exploit it.**

*EVERYONE has multiple (and mixed) motives for EVERYTHING they do.

**Despite what the "worshippers" think, Ron Paul is NOT some saint who has never "taken advantage" of the profit side of his supporters... witness the whole newsletter thingee in the 80's and 90's (newsletters like that are relatively low cost and are quite profitable... ask Gary North).

brunner
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Well, why are no "excerpts" available online then? THAT is also a "typical" marketing mechanism.

What are you talking about? Excerpts have been on the book bomb website (http://www.ronpaulbookbomb.com) since the beginning of the year, and the entire first chapter (less one page) is available on Amazon.

NightOwl
04-29-2008, 03:04 PM

The preface has been online at the book bomb site since late January. All of chapter 1 is online here (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Revolution/Ron-Paul/e/9780446537513/?itm=1) (click the tab marked "Features").

yongrel
04-29-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/hijack/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

akforme
04-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't have a problem with him making a buck, and I don't have a problem with him writing books, I own and have read 2 of his. I have a problem with books that seem opportunistic and that standard/feeling doesn't change for me. Will I buy it? of course I will, but I also feel questioning leaders motives includes Ron Paul.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM

I can't believe some people would object to him writing down his ideology! He's been writing books for ages... but when he does it during/after running a campaign it's suddenly "profiteering" and "milking" the supporters?

Get real. I, for one, have no problem with Dr. Paul publishing his ideas, even it if means (OMG!) he might make a profit (OMG!)... Since when are "free market capitalists" against someone getting paid for their work?

Insanity.

And since when am I *unpatriotic* for desiring NOT to piss away more money for what appears to be simply more of the same.

Go ahead be a sheeple... buy 5 dozen copies of the book if you want. Just quit telling ME that *I* (and everyone else) just HAVE to buy a bunch as well...

Not gonna happen as I already feel I've been sucker punched (defrauded, really) by the campaign HQ and the $5 Million reserve fund... for which we got "He's Catching On?" instead of a REAL campaign!

As I already own most of Ron's previous books, and haven't seen ANY evidence that this one contains anything new enough that makes it worth my parting with 20 FRN's... well, I am simply expressing my FREEDOM to *NOT* buy yet another one. (A longer "excerpt" *might* convince me, but from what I have seen so far -- including "reviews" online here -- my opinion is that it is nothing but an abridged rehash/sequel, aka a "milk job.")

I don't have to buy every piece of trash manufactured by every "free-market" company out there. Nor every "sequel" book regurgitated by author X, Y, or Z.

As to my contention that he ought to make it more freely available? Well, the campaign ASKED FOR, indeed they thoroughly EXPECTED and virtually DEMANDED an awful LOT of FREE LABOR from supporters (else what is the whole "Precinct Leader" thingee -- OTHER campaigns PAY for that kind of work)... Next time I guess I'll follow YOUR PRESCRIPTION, and just sit on my a** and wait for them to PAY ME in advance before I bother moving a muscle. (And actually, if Snyder, Moore & Co. are involved... that will be EXACTLY my attitude.)

As to "Insanity" well, quite frankly... KMA.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't have a problem with him making a buck, and I don't have a problem with him writing books, I own and have read 2 of his. I have a problem with books that seem opportunistic and that standard/feeling doesn't change for me. Will I buy it? of course I will, but I also feel questioning leaders motives includes Ron Paul.

AMEN to that sentiment.

I am SO sick and tired of the cult-like "Ron Paul can do no wrong" attitude that seems prevalent with so many. Dare to even question ANYTHING and one is set upon with accusations of "troll" and "traitor" etc.

Sickening.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-29-2008, 03:26 PM
People have been writing books for thousands of years, no one is forcing you to buy one.

Dave39168
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM

QFT QFT

Seriously
If you don't want to piss away your money on a copy, then don't. Exercise your liberty to not purchase one. If someone thinks you are a troll for not wanting to buy one, that's their problem. I don't think that makes you a troll... you are just stating your opinion. But a lot of people are really excited about the book, including me, and we want to promote it. We will exercise the liberty to do so. If Dr. Paul was really worried about getting rich he could just take his congressional pension, and go back to Texas and deliver some medicaid babies. Since he doesn't accept medicaid or the congressional pension, maybe his motives are more pure than you suspect.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
QFT QFT

Seriously
If you don't want to piss away your money on a copy, then don't. Exercise your liberty to not purchase one. If someone thinks you are a troll for not wanting to buy one, that's their problem. I don't think that makes you a troll... you are just stating your opinion. But a lot of people are really excited about the book, including me, and we want to promote it. We will exercise the liberty to do so. If Dr. Paul was really worried about getting rich he could just take his congressional pension, and go back to Texas and deliver some medicaid babies. Since he doesn't accept medicaid or the congressional pension, maybe his motives are more pure than you suspect.

And since he mainly seems to employ friends, old colleagues and relatives (or soon to be relatives) on his campaign, regardless of the quality of their work (or, as attested by reality, the lack therof) -- maybe his motives are NOT as pure as you suspect.

Seriously, many people seem to worship the ground he walks on.

I respect him, but will never abase myself as so many do. RP is merely another man after all, and he is NOT above accountability or beyond question. (And if you think he is... well to paraphrase a previous poster, "I think y'all are in the wrong movement" ...go join the GWB faction where "worship" is the preferred 'tude.)

rajibo
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

Dave39168
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I respect him, but will never abase myself as so many do. RP is merely another man after all, and he is NOT above accountability or beyond question. (And if you think he is... well to paraphrase a previous poster, "I think y'all are in the wrong movement" ...go join the GWB faction where "worship" is the preferred 'tude.)

Agreed Ron Paul is merely and man and is not above accountability... He does greatly inspire me, but i do not worship him or think that he can do no wrong. He does however display massive amounts of integrity from all i have seen. And he is the only one i D.C. that will stand up for the principles i believe in. And he has been working extremely hard for this when most would have thrown in the towel by now. I'm not saying you are in the wrong movement for not wanting to buy the book or for not worshiping a politician (that's just you exercising liberty, which we all support) , But you are in the wrong movement if you've got a problem with Dr. Paul making some money off his book. Because that is capitolism... and capitolism is the basic premise of the economic ideas of Ron Paul and this movement.

JosephTheLibertarian
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe you should take a big dump to help release some of that pinned-up hostility. If you're constipated, try rocking back-and-forth......that usually works.

Yeah, I think "kludge" has a lot of that.

Broadlighter
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
This reminds me of an argument I had with a liberal. He took exception to the fact that Ron Paul disclosed his personal investments in Gold bullion in his campaign statements. He speculated that Ron Paul was calling for a return to the Gold standard so he could capitalize on his investment.

Gee, do you think Ron Paul owns Gold because he believes in its value? Gee, what a ridiculous notion (sarcasm).

Do you think Ron Paul published a book about revolutionary change because he wants to make money? So all this talk about radical change and a return to constitutional government is just a smokescreen to make Ron Paul some money?

He probably could have made more money all this time had he stayed in his medical practice. SHEESH!

RSLudlum
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Read one of his previous books and see if you have a taste for the author before you commit to buying this one.

Here's a link to Mises website with some of RP's books that are downloadable:

http://mises.org/literature.aspx?action=author&Id=392

If you don't feel like reading you can also check out their audiobook section:
http://mises.org/media.aspx?action=category&ID=85

Rhys
04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
books is good for readin and learnin stuff.

big publishers push big books. They book you at borders in NYC and get you on radio and tv to talk about it. all this new media is probably coming from the book, not the campaign. They send copies to journalists and reviewers and people in politics to generate buz. This is his first time being published by a major firm, and it's a good thing and good timing. I'd buy it just to generate buz if I didn't want to read it.

Cimbri
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Freedom of the press ever hear about it?

ronpaulhawaii
04-29-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.wdtprs.com/images/SourGrapesAward.jpg

Gin
04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I have to tell you ... I don't generally like these types of books myself...not my normal read, but I received my copy yesterday and have started reading it..... it is worth the purchase, if nothing else to learn more about where our nation stands right now and what the forefathers wanted for this country..... we are truely way off course.... this book isn't so much about Ron Paul the Presidential candidate as it is to further our education on this great country. I have only gotten through the 2nd chapter so I can't expand on it... but I can tell you that Ron Paul is a very humbled man in respect to the way the R3volution has spread and taken off... it really shows that he cares greatly about this country. I honestly believe that you would be glad to have bought it after you read it... jmo you must go with your own conscience on this....

hopeforamerica
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
http://www.wdtprs.com/images/SourGrapesAward.jpg

LOL!!! Love this picture. I must have it.

TruthAtLast
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
now people aren't suppose to write books? Sure, there are a lot of crappy books out there but let the market filter those out. As far as I'm concerned, me buying Ron Paul's book is similar to me donating to him... only I get a cool book out of it. :D

We donate to him and get nothing tangible out of it (which I'm ok with too as long as the money is used well). We buy his book and we get a good read, some added press, and a nice tool to use to spread the message to others.

WRellim
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
now people aren't suppose to write books? Sure, there are a lot of crappy books out there but let the market filter those out. As far as I'm concerned, me buying Ron Paul's book is similar to me donating to him... only I get a cool book out of it. :D

We donate to him and get nothing tangible out of it (which I'm ok with too as long as the money is used well). We buy his book and we get a good read, some added press, and a nice tool to use to spread the message to others.

I would say TRUE that at least the book is about ISSUES and SUBSTANCE (it would be blatant opportunism if it were a bromide "bio-book").

While I'm not certain that "The Revolution: A Manifesto" is an ideal title (smacks of Marx and shades of Che Guevera) -- and I suppose we can all be VERY grateful that it wasn't given the alternate title: "My Struggle". :D

But as far as "donating" goes... better to just send the guy a fiver. By the time the storefront, distributor and publisher are done, the author's "cut" of a traditional book ain't all that much. Buck or two a copy probably. :(

My issue isn't that he can't make a few bucks -- it is that claiming the main purpose is to get the word out (via dead trees) in our digital age... well, just doesn't make much sense. And the timing is definitely not ideal. :confused:

But whatever.

revolutionary8
04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/1316/evenkittensuf8.jpg

LibertyEagle
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Writing a book and getting it carried by a major publishing house is a very good way of getting your message spread, due to the circuit of radio and TV interviews that ensue.

If he gets even 1/2 of the interviews that Judge Napolitano got when he wrote his last book, A Nation of Sheep, I will be very pleased. This is all free advertising folks. Smile.

LibertyEagle
04-29-2008, 09:13 PM
My issue isn't that he can't make a few bucks -- it is that claiming the main purpose is to get the word out (via dead trees) in our digital age... well, just doesn't make much sense. And the timing is definitely not ideal. :confused:

But whatever.

See, here's the thing that just confuses the hell out of me. We seem to never learn. Don't we yet realize that there are a whole lot of the voting putlic who don't live on the internet, nor would they buy an online book and read it on the computer? Geez. Hard copy books still sell.

I remember a time during this campaign when people thought we could win this whole thing by just sticking to the internet. That it wasn't necessary to go outside our abodes and campaign for Dr. Paul. I also remember when some thought it was a workable solution to ignore the Republican party, insult them, or whatever the heck we felt like doing (even though it was the Republican party whose nomination we seeked) and insult "old people" because after all, they're the enemy. :rolleyes:

That strategy didn't exactly work out too well, did it?

People over the age of 40 VOTE. It is the "old people" who kept this country from going completely down the tubes YEARS AGO. And believe it or not, some people still read BOOKS.

End of vent.

AdamT
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
It's all about spreading the message, and the book does just that!

pinkmandy
04-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I like books. Internet is nice but I don't read books online. So there is a market. And it's an awesome gift! One problem I encountered while out canvassing was that a lot of people do not learn about politics online. They learn what the MSM tells them. They go online and look up recipes, visit niche forums, check email, etc. To expect the average American to read 150+ pages online about history, economics, etc.? No way. We have a better chance with the books. At the very least it's another tool in our toolbelt. Face it, there are people who will not go watch a youtube or read an article but might curl up on the sofa and read a book.

I've read it and loved it. It is truly educational- not like the stupid books O'Reilly puts out that read like a third grader wrote them. There's no comparison to stuff like that. It's amazing, actually. It truly is the message of freedom- what we had, why we lost it, and how to get it back. It's as humble and informative as Ron Paul himself.

I remember thinking while reading it- ANY argument a socialist minded person could come up with against our freedom message is taken care of in that book. ;)

revolutionary8
04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
More Cowbell!

http://i.slickdeals.net/image.php?u=162&dateline=1146804297

Conza88
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM

LMAO.! Yea, Thomas Paine shouldn't have written his pamphlet called "Common Sense" either...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: