PDA

View Full Version : Full price at Borders and Barnes?

OferNave
04-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I just called the nearest Borders and Barnes & Noble stores to see if the book is in, and ask the price. Both stores are selling it for the full price of $21.

Hasn't it become commonplace for the big two to sell new hardcovers at 30% off to stay competitive? This is a bit frustrating. I already have one copy from Amazon (read it Friday night), and was thinking about buying a few more in person, but paying $21 is very unattractive.

I also tried CostCo and Sams Club just in case, but not surprisingly, it's not on their short list of books to carry. That may change if we make it a bestseller, of course.

OferNave
04-29-2008, 08:48 AM
One more thought - do you think calling local book stores and asking about Ron Paul's book will increase the perceived demand, maybe get them to consider moving the book to a more prominent location in the store?

lasenorita
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
This thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=134153&highlight=50%25+off+barnes) contained a coupon for 25% off at Barnes and Noble. Unfortunately, it expired yesterday.

I think several people have inquired about the book at their local libraries to persuade them to acquire it. I'm not sure about calling stores though. It won't hurt to try. :) Someone mentioned that purchases made on Amazon.com don't count towards the best-sellers list so I'm waiting to buy another copy from a brick-and-mortar store.

Pauliana
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I gladly paid full price at Barnes & Noble. It was on display on one of the front tables. They usually discount books they are having a hard time selling, not books that they are having a hard time keeping in stock, ya see.

It's a *good* thing that it is not on sale.

LEK
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I just called Barnes and they are holding a copy for me...and you are right it is full price. The excuse is that online you have to pay shipping. Barnes is having their Educator Appreciation week - teachers (including homeschool) get an extra 25% off all purchases. That would make it $15.75 plus tax. Hmmm...maybe I'll get it online. It qualifies for free delivery if you spend $25 which isn't to hard when it comes to books. Buy two copies?

rajibo
04-29-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm a member of Barnes and Nobles Reader's Advantage Program. It's $25 a year, but you get 40% off all hardcover bestsellers, 20% all other hardcovers, and 10% off everything else. That includes 10% off all Starbuck's. :)

I buy a lot of books, so it's worth it to me.

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Amazon ..... $12.60 per. Buy 2 and get free shipping. What's the problem here, that I'm missing?

NightOwl
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
If it becomes a NYT bestseller, then it will be on the front display in all stores, and selling at a discount.

OferNave
04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Amazon ..... $12.60 per. Buy 2 and get free shipping. What's the problem here, that I'm missing?

I already have a copy from Amazon. The "problem here" is that I wanted to also buy a few copies in person, because in-store sales make it to different lists than just Amazon's. We want to make Ron Paul's book #1 on all major lists, right?

I was just bemoaning the fact that the stores are far more expensive than Amazon.

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I already have a copy from Amazon. The "problem here" is that I wanted to also buy a few copies in person, because in-store sales make it to different lists than just Amazon's. We want to make Ron Paul's book #1 on all major lists, right?

I was just bemoaning the fact that the stores are far more expensive than Amazon.
My reasoned guess is, a whole lot more folks use and pay attention to Amazon, than read the NYT.

amy31416
04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Support your local bookstore if possible. I'm buying it from our local joint, full price or not. They haven't called me yet that it's come in though.

It's a mix of used and new books, and they're having a used book sale--30% off, so I'll probably walk out of there with more than I can possibly read or fit on my bookshelves.

jsteilKS
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I bought it at Barnes. It was both in the politics and history section. It was also on a table with other books about Iraq, Freedom, Oil, and etc. The workers at Barnes had good things to say:

Guy that helped me said allot of people have bought the book and he likes Paul and his policies, but likes Obama more.

Lady that showed me the front table said Paul is a very smart man even if you disagree with some of his policies shes glad hes doing what hes doing.

Lady that checked me out said Paul is a very smart man from watching the debates, but she said she can't vote since she's not a US citizen.

Mckarnin
04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I just called the nearest Borders and Barnes & Noble stores to see if the book is in, and ask the price. Both stores are selling it for the full price of $21.

Hasn't it become commonplace for the big two to sell new hardcovers at 30% off to stay competitive? This is a bit frustrating. I already have one copy from Amazon (read it Friday night), and was thinking about buying a few more in person, but paying $21 is very unattractive.

I also tried CostCo and Sams Club just in case, but not surprisingly, it's not on their short list of books to carry. That may change if we make it a bestseller, of course.

Still on sale at Barnes and Noble online...I wonder if they are trying to price gouge Ron Paul supporters or if someone forgot to put the discount stickers on. Now about 6 years ago, when I worked there, Barnes and Noble bestsellers or books that they anticipate will become bestsellers were often sold at 40% off out of the box...not because they are having trouble selling them.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Revolution/Ron-Paul/e/9780446537513/?itm=2

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Just for grins, I went to my local Borders ( 2 blocks away ) and asked the on duty manager at the info desk about the manifesto, since it wasn't on display anywhere in the store. She said they only had two copies, and went to the back room to get one. When she got back with it ( full price stickered ), I thanked her, smiled, and suggested that she just might want to order some more copies, since it was then #3 in non-fiction on Amazon. She looked very surprised, thanked me for the suggestion, and said she would. We'll see. :)

LibertyRevolution
04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/2452765843_83752ef3ef_o.jpg

Fields
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
They keep lowering the price. Awesome.

RSLudlum
04-29-2008, 08:14 PM
20% off at Borders coupon

http://beta.bordersstores.com/online/store/BordersMediaView_visitborders

OferNave
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Thanks!

Fields
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Sweet.

Truth Warrior
04-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Just for grins, I went to my local Borders ( 2 blocks away ) and asked the on duty manager at the info desk about the manifesto, since it wasn't on display anywhere in the store. She said they only had two copies, and went to the back room to get one. When she got back with it ( full price stickered ), I thanked her, smiled, and suggested that she just might want to order some more copies, since it was then #3 in non-fiction on Amazon. She looked very surprised, thanked me for the suggestion, and said she would. We'll see. :)

Update: Went back to Borders yesterday afternoon, after posting the above. The computer said that manifesto was , "likely in store". I finally was able to find the ONE copy ( hidden ) upstairs, bottom shelf of the humongo, Left ( way over dominated, prominently hyped and displayed ), "Politics and Government" section. Downstairs front and center, meanwhile, in "Newly Released", "Borders recommends" and "Bestsellers", it's literally overflowing, with ( 30% off stickered) Obama and Clinton garbage crapola. If it's this bad in Tulsa, what must most of the rest of the country be like? < shiver! >

The suppression and attempted brainwashing tragically continues. :(

Cinderella
04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
i bought my book for full price...best 21 dollars ive spent.....and the books that werent bought i placed them in the front so all could see

DealzOnWheelz
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
the more they sell the better priced they become

it's a wholesale game the more books the store gets the cheaper they get them so they inturn sell them cheaper and thats why books that are assumed to sell alot start out cheaper to inflate the hype and get more sold

DO you think anybody outside the revolution thought this book would go interplanetary??

jrich4rpaul
04-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I bent over and took the $21 screwjob from Borders... there was one copy left and I wasn't going to wait longer to get it just to save money.

spiteface
04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I work part time at Borders and as most people here have mentioned, they are dropping the ball bigtime on this one. Every store I know of got a whole 2 copies. Most of those are already gone I'm sure, ours are. Order 2 from Amazon, it's super cheap - almost a 2 fer. Or go to Barnes and Noble, they have a lot.

BuddyRey
04-30-2008, 09:25 AM
My mom and I hit up B&N today. They had 8 copies, but they were stuck waaaay on back in the furthest corner of the store in "Political Science." We bought out EVERY LAST COPY!!! I posted this story to my local Meetup, so I suspect that this particular store will soon be hearing an awful lot of requests for the book!!!

Palmetto
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Yes, Barnes and Noble has a lot. And it was, last time I checked, on an octagonal shaped table right in the main isle, as well as in the current events section. Also, just FYI, Barnes and Noble's bestseller lists are the BN bestsellers, not the NYT bestsellers.

Palmetto
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Also, BN orders copies for individual stores at the Store level, unless it becomes a buyer-managed title, and then the books are ordered by someone in New York. So, if you buy ten copies in a day, then the POS (Point of Sale) system automatically informs the manager that its a hot selling title, and reccomends the same quantity plus a little extra.

mczerone
04-30-2008, 09:31 AM
My reasoned guess is, a whole lot more folks use and pay attention to Amazon, than read the NYT.

In our world, yes. In the general (voting) population? Lets make sure we make a non-web impact here.

We exist!

Dustancostine
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm a member of Barnes and Nobles Reader's Advantage Program. It's $25 a year, but you get 40% off all hardcover bestsellers, 20% all other hardcovers, and 10% off everything else. That includes 10% off all Starbuck's. :)

I buy a lot of books, so it's worth it to me.

Except for the fact that they are able to track what you buy, and when the Department of Homeland Security or the FBI want to know what you are reading all they have to do is ask good ol' Barnes and Nobles and they will roll over like Verizon.

Truth Warrior
04-30-2008, 09:39 AM
In our world, yes. In the general (voting) population? Lets make sure we make a non-web impact here.

We exist! Agreed! No problem! :)
I just can't help but wonder though, how many copies Amazon has sold totally and overall, so far?

Thanks! :)