PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know . . .

letushope
04-29-2008, 05:03 AM
The GOP National Convention Rules (as posted on their website)
http://www.gop.com
http://www.gop.com/About/Rules31-41.htm

Rule 38 Unit Rule
No delegate or alternate delegate shall be bound by any attempt of any state or congressional district to impose the unit rule.

According to Roberts Rule of Order this is when a group decides to vote the same way on a particular issue. It sounds like "bound"..

My niave question is - if the National Convention forbids it, why then is there so much talk about bound delegates?:confused:

letushope
04-29-2008, 06:29 AM
on so many blogs and no-one has an answer. If you don't know the answer can people atleast point me in the right direction as to who might?

rancher89
04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
we're thinking, this is what happens when you ask a tough ? when all the smart people are elsewhere...

be patient grasshopper

Conza88
04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
I checked it too reconfirm..
First thought "ah - haha, WTF"

Have you pictured that, and printed it out? Any bets its removed before St. Paul? Any takers? :rolleyes:

I hope you find the answer to that q.

Bradley in DC
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
It's best to look for definitions of terms first. This is from the TX GOP rules:

Rule No. 12 - Resolutions Authorized - No Unit Rule
Any convention may express its sense on an issue by adopting a resolution on that issue; however, the use of the unit rule (whereby the entire delegation votes as a unit not recognizing the minority votes within the delegation) or the practice of giving binding instructions to the delegates shall not bepermitted at any level of the convention process

I has nothing to do with rules "binding" delegates. You're mixing apples and oranges.

rancher89
04-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks Bradley, they didn't define "unit rule" in the rules, so it was hard to tell what it meant.

I think they make these "rules" harder to read than they have to be....

letushope
04-29-2008, 08:43 AM
there aren't (that I can find) any definitions in the National GOP Rules. I know this is a boring topic, but if we are to beat them we have to know their game.

letushope
04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
thank you - for your reply. I have seriously been chasing this for about a week. I have read everything I can get my hands on including Roberts Rule to get to the bottom of that Rule. I am so desperate to find a loop hole.