PDA

View Full Version : Paul-McCain Debate

brooklyn
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
The Dems had a couple of two candidate debates.
Could you imagine how RP would handle Mcwar one on one?
Remember the one question RP posed to Mcwar on economics that had him stuttering and scratching his head?

Joseph Hart
04-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I was thinking about this today. Next time Ron Paul is on TV he should challenge McCain. If McCain says no, we win. If McCain agrees, then Ron Paul will own him. Its a win win situation.

CurtisLow
04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Make it so number one...

Paulitical Correctness
04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I wonder how Anderthun Coopur would manage to silence Ron in a one on one debate..?

amonasro
04-28-2008, 11:36 PM
McCain would never be stupid enough to debate Paul. I can't see it happening.

brooklyn
04-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ron Paul should issue a strong challenge and see if Mcwars ego gets him to nibble.
Either way if he does not- he looks weak and scared.
If he does- he will look like a fool.
Win-win-win.
Can we make this happen?

ForLibertyFight
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Ron Paul should issue a strong challenge and see if Mcwars ego gets him to nibble.
Win-win-win.
Can we make this happen?

I completely agree. Ron Paul needs to go on national TV and challenge him to a one on one debate immediately.

eleganz
04-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Wow, how and when can we make this happen!

just give me a number or email to blast, and it'll be done!

Let's get this show on the road!

teasea
04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
This is a great idea
and I am still holding on to hope

Jodi's mom
04-29-2008, 01:10 AM
How about a money-bomb for the occasion....television camera crews, the whole works!? Have everything all paid for leaving no excuses for McCain. Let's get it going, then watch McCain make some lame excuse why he can't make it! That should clue the nation in to what a coward he is when it comes to debating Ron Paul. McCain KNOWS he would lose! Big time!

teasea
04-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Sounds good to me
I am all in

MRoCkEd
04-29-2008, 04:44 AM
AC: The first question, I'll give you 20 minutes to respond, is for John McCain
*20 minutes later*
AC: and a 20 minute rebuttal to yourself, john?
*20 minutes later*
AC: a followup question for mccain, 25 minutes
*25 minutes later*
AC: Congressman paul, all of your supporters are 9/11 truthers. You also received a donation from a white supremacist. Are you a truther or a supremacist?
Paul: well, I...
AC: we'll get back to you later congressman. Mccain, you looked like you had a comment - 20 minutes

Knut Schreiber
04-29-2008, 05:33 AM
*20 minutes later*
*20 minutes later*
*25 minutes later*
AC: Congressman paul, all of your supporters are 9/11 truthers. You also received a donation from a white supremacist. Are you a truther or a supremacist?
AC: we'll get back to you later congressman. Mccain, you looked like you had a comment - 20 minutes

Haha, so true.

Not going to happen. McCain has nothing to win but alot to lose in such a debate. Maybe Paul could call him a coward and question his leadership and confidence, because he doesn't face his "enemy" and is therefore a chicken. But that's just not Paul.

acptulsa
04-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Maybe Paul could call him a coward and question his leadership and confidence, because he doesn't face his "enemy" and is therefore a chicken. But that's just not Paul.

No, but we could. Problem is, the MSM would either ignore the challenge or tell the public that there's no point in doing it. The question is, could we get around that and plant a bug in people's ears that important issues should be discussed? The Democrats were disgusted with their last debate. People are hungry for substance and that could help.

wgadget
04-29-2008, 07:02 AM

In this case, his wisdom would come across as cowardice. Cowardice doesn't look good on a war hero.

:D

hillertexas
04-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Win-win-win.
Can we make this happen?

love it!

hillertexas
04-29-2008, 07:05 AM
What if we started a rumor amongst the sheeple that McCain is too scared/refuses to debate Ron Paul?
McCain denies it.
Ron invites him to debate.
Hilarity ensues.

Bruno
04-29-2008, 07:06 AM
This is a great idea and though the actual debate would most likely never happen, as noted before it would still generate publicity.

Taking advantage of the Hillary challenge to Obama to debate would be perfect timing! And with his schedule already full with book tour events, he has the platform to call it out at every occasion!

jasonuher
04-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Ok people, use some common sense here. Can you remember all the way back to like 2 months ago when that little puke stick that wanted RP's congress seat kept calling him a coward for not debating? Every single one of you said "There is no reason for him to debate, he's doing the right thing by saying no. He's not a coward, just smart". And now, you think that McCain's supporters, and indeed, the entire American publik, won't have exactly the same response for you?

wgadget
04-29-2008, 07:16 AM
McCain's supporters? Are there any?

acptulsa
04-29-2008, 07:20 AM
...he has the platform to call it out at every occasion!

We need to teach the doctor how to spin things:

"In the early primaries, G.O.P. voters choosing among the four conservatives outnumbered those choosing among the two moderates by over two to one. That's a lot of Republican conservatives who feel disenfranchised. In the interests of party unity, I feel it would be helpful if we, the two candidiates in the party who are still standing, had a frank and honest discussion of the issues so conservatives will know where they stand in the eyes of the presumptive nominee..."

Bruno
04-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Ok people, use some common sense here. Can you remember all the way back to like 2 months ago when that little puke stick that wanted RP's congress seat kept calling him a coward for not debating? Every single one of you said "There is no reason for him to debate, he's doing the right thing by saying no. He's not a coward, just smart". And now, you think that McCain's supporters, and indeed, the entire American publik, won't have exactly the same response for you?

Paul wouldn't have to go negative. He could simply float it out there..

Interviewer: "So, why haven't you quit the race yet? McCain is the nominee."
Paul: "Well, the convention is months away, so there is still plenty of time."
Interviewer: "But won't you support him if he is the nominee?"
Paul: "He would have to change his views on the war, monetary policy, economic policy, etc. before I would do that."
Interviewer: "Do you see him doing that?"
Paul: "Not really, but we have never been given the opportunity in all those debates to talk about issues of substance. If McCain would like to do that sometime, I would be glad to join him in a Lincoln-Douglas debate such as Clinton proposed to Obama. It would help conservative Americans see where he stands on Republican principles."

Bam!

Headline: Paul challenges McCain to Lincoln-Douglas debate

slacker921
04-29-2008, 07:33 AM
We need to teach the doctor how to spin things:

"In the early primaries, G.O.P. voters choosing among the four conservatives outnumbered those choosing among the two moderates by over two to one. That's a lot of Republican conservatives who feel disenfranchised. In the interests of party unity, I feel it would be helpful if we, the two candidiates in the party who are still standing, had a frank and honest discussion of the issues so conservatives will know where they stand in the eyes of the presumptive nominee..."

It could also be pointed to the GOP.. let's sit down and talk about Republican values..

I don't see it happening though. At this point McCain has to uphold the image that he has it all locked up. If that facade shows a crack (like.. oh... a state convention that gets shut down because he's losing..) then he has to campaign to hold the nomination and it's a HUGE opening for the Democrats to take him down. Anything he might do that can be construed as still fighting for the nomination or support of his party is a major step backwards -- so no way he'd debate with Paul one on one.

Now.. if a news network wanted to really see some ratings and really see the sparks fly... they'd have a debate with Obama, Clinton, Paul, and McCain and ensure equal time. Now that would be a wild one and they'd get major ratings. (unfortunately it won't happen)

pcosmar
04-29-2008, 07:39 AM

I believe that McCain IS stupid enough.
Unfortunately his handlers aren't, they would never allow it.

I would love to see it though. :D

acptulsa
04-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Ever see the movie Head of State? Sell the debate as a discussion of Republican values and a way to ensure that the G.O.P. conservatives who split their votes among too many candidates aren't disenfranchised, and it becomes an easy sell to everyone but McCain and his handlers--and if we sell it well enough, they'll feel the pressure...

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
The people McCain answers to are too smart to let that dumbass debate RP.

Crickett
04-29-2008, 10:38 AM
LOL this is what I said MONTHS ago and was laughed off the forum. I figured a real challenge to the other candidates would be a win-win. I think he should challenge Hillary and Obama, too and ask if they are too chicken to debate him. The thing I was told is that none of them have any reason to debate him because they are so far ahead of him. But I thought it was a great idea as then he can say they are all afraid of him..

VRP08
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
What a cool idea! I wonder if Dr. Paul would go for that. McCain probably wouldn't do it because he knows that he is clueless!

But I would LOVE for that to happen!!

thrillhouse
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Since a paul - mccain debate is unlikely at all, let me propose this - how about some four way action with all the remaining presidential hopefuls?

Hillary and Obama would want to prove to their respective parties that they could go toe to toe with the presumptive republican nominee. McCain would get a chance to make points against the democrats while they still have to toe the party line. Paul would get his chance to spread his message to a much wider audience that includes independants and liberals.

Could this happen or am i dreaming?

armstrong
04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Highly unlikely , but I would love it

tonyr1988
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

It's politically retarded to engage in a 1-on-1 debate when you're ahead of the other guy.

Paul just needs to keep talking about how the 3 guys left are all the same, principle > party, etc...

VRP08
04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Since a paul - mccain debate is unlikely at all, let me propose this - how about some four way action with all the remaining presidential hopefuls?

Hillary and Obama would want to prove to their respective parties that they could go toe to toe with the presumptive republican nominee. McCain would get a chance to make points against the democrats while they still have to toe the party line. Paul would get his chance to spread his message to a much wider audience that includes independants and liberals.

Could this happen or am i dreaming?

I like that idea!

Vet_from_cali
04-29-2008, 11:56 AM
wont happen, mccain would get owned, and he knows it.

Bruno
04-29-2008, 12:42 PM
wont happen, mccain would get owned, and he knows it.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

It's politically retarded to engage in a 1-on-1 debate when you're ahead of the other guy.

Paul just needs to keep talking about how the 3 guys left are all the same, principle > party, etc...

I think you are missing the larger point.

It needed actually have to occur, it would just be a good PR opportunity to call McCain out. McCain can say no all he wants. It could get people talking.

heartless
04-29-2008, 12:44 PM
bump

TruthAtLast
04-29-2008, 12:57 PM

i agree. he would never do it. But just Paul challenging him and McCain refusing makes him look scared.

McCain: "I've won the nomination, the debates are over. why would I debate someone who's lost."

Ron Paul: "Last I checked, I believe it is April... not September. McCain is the presumptive nominee but is vastly out of step with the Republican party. Pennsylvania proved that. If he is so confident that he is the best candidate to represent this great party, then he should have no problem debating the real issues facing our country since he has yet to do it this election cycle. McCain has been running from me since the first debate and even with the nomination apparently in the bag he is still running from me. What is he so afraid of?"

If Ron Paul said that, my wallet would open up immediately. Ron Paul would raise another few million dollars overnight. We have momentum and new energy right now.

Bruno
04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
i agree. he would never do it. But just Paul challenging him and McCain refusing makes him look scared.

McCain: "I've won the nomination, the debates are over. why would I debate someone who's lost."

Ron Paul: "Last I checked, I believe it is April... not September. McCain is the presumptive nominee but is vastly out of step with the Republican party. Pennsylvania proved that. If he is so confident that he is the best candidate to represent this great party, then he should have no problem debating the real issues facing our country since he has yet to do it this election cycle. McCain has been running from me since the first debate and even with the nomination apparently in the bag he is still running from me. What is he so afraid of?"

If Ron Paul said that, my wallet would open up immediately. Ron Paul would raise another few million dollars overnight. We have momentum and new energy right now.

Ding, ding, ding!

It wouldn't cost a cent from the $5 million less, either. Words over free air space given to you while you sell your book are, in this case, "priceless".

More awareness in the remaining states and the nation as a whole who Ron is and why he is still in it for the sake of our freedoms.

Joseph Hart
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
To win at this whole debate challenge. Ron Paul should atleast say he would like to debate again. A yes or no from mccain, Ron Paul will look good.

acptulsa
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
To win at this whole debate challenge. Ron Paul should atleast say he would like to debate again. A yes or no from mccain, Ron Paul will look good.

That's the key. He only needs to say it once, really--no need to beg. We'll do the rest!

LiveToWin
04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
McCain wont accept the debate, But I fully support this.

TexasAggie09
04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
If McCain doesn't want to do it I'd be more than happy with Ron challenging Hillary and Obama to a debate. To me that would generate much more attention. Ron would absolutely bend them over the table. It would also give him the oppurtunity to show that Obama, Clinton, and McCain aren't that different. It would draw both conservative and liberal audiences.

Feelgood
04-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok, how bout we just go right for the jugular, and go after the presumptive (almost) Democratic nominee? He will blow Obama or any of the others out of the water. Assume the sale, and debate the presumptive (almost) for the Dems. Would be great to watch... :)

JMann
04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately Dr. Paul would probably perform as poorly in a two person debate as he did in the other debates. If we learned anything new about Dr. Paul during the campaign is that he is an absolutely awful debater.

Omphfullas Zamboni
04-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately Dr. Paul would probably perform as poorly in a two person debate as he did in the other debates. If we learned anything new about Dr. Paul during the campaign is that he is an absolutely awful debater.

He's had his points:

Paul VS Giuliani
The response about Musharraf
Answer to the, "Electability" question
Infamous McCain headshake

What he lacked were showmanship, and verbal imagery and the ability to connect his ideas with analogies from daily living. In the end he did have content, forbearance, and conveyed sincerity, often. To me, that makes the congressman a competent debater, (if not great, then fair).

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni

devil21
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Id love to see that but sadly I must acknowledge it would never happen and such a challenge would probably be easily deflected by McCain's camp and probably in a manner damaging to RP. Not to give them ideas...but responding that McCain is too busy campaigning as the Republican nominee to debate 5% Paul and probably something about RP wanting publicity to sell his book. McCain does hold the cards right now and the MSM is backing him up on it. After all this time, we still sometimes forget that we are still dealing with a 95% moron population.

brooklyn
04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Perhaps this can be best served by placing some full page ads in papers like the NY Times, LA Times, Chi. Sun, Wash.Post, Chi. Tribune, Wall St Journal demanding a Republican debate.
Suggestions please. Lets keep the ball rolling. Perhaps a chip-in.

eleganz
04-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I think we, as Ron Paul supporters should demand Ron Paul to debate McCain. Ron Paul may not have the confidence in winning anymore as he continuously states that he'll stay in the race as long as we keep sending money. but WE WANT RP IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

How can we send this message to Ron Paul??

Knightskye
04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I wonder how Anderthun Coopur would manage to silence Ron in a one on one debate..?

I think the audience would revolt and start booing whenever Anderson started talking.

That said, stack the audience with Paul supporters.

pinkmandy
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
I think we, as Ron Paul supporters should demand Ron Paul to debate McCain. Ron Paul may not have the confidence in winning anymore as he continuously states that he'll stay in the race as long as we keep sending money. but WE WANT RP IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

How can we send this message to Ron Paul??

I think if we did it we should make it a challenge to McCain to win us over, unite the party like he says he can do. PROVE IT. ;)

brooklyn
04-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Great angle. Now we need to get it out there.
We will be looking into prices for ads tomorrow.
Keep suggestions coming!

Mahkato
04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
*20 minutes later*
*20 minutes later*
*25 minutes later*

+1

Also:
AC: Congressman Paul, are you planning to run third party? 20 minutes.

mczerone
04-29-2008, 11:37 PM
While this thread has been an entertaining diversion this evening, we do know McCain has nothing to gain by doing this, and will just paint us as sore losers if he responds at all, right?

If anyone Really wants this - you need to give him (McCain) Something that he wants, namely: no delegate interference towards him being nominated.

Work a pledge with a state coordinator or even HQ directly: If McCain debates, if it is 'fair', we go away - he can have the GOP nomination. He doesn't have to 'win' the debate, he just has to show up. Our supporters then wear no Ron Paul stuff, and pull no 'tricks' when it comes to voting for the GOP nominee, but are allowed to participate in all level conventions to help shape the direction of the party.

That is the only deal I see working to get a debate - to get Paul's ideas some MSM time with McCain's purchased responses. I'd like to see some cross-examination between the two.

TruthAtLast
04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
While this thread has been an entertaining diversion this evening, we do know McCain has nothing to gain by doing this, and will just paint us as sore losers if he responds at all, right?

If anyone Really wants this - you need to give him (McCain) Something that he wants, namely: no delegate interference towards him being nominated.

Work a pledge with a state coordinator or even HQ directly: If McCain debates, if it is 'fair', we go away - he can have the GOP nomination. He doesn't have to 'win' the debate, he just has to show up. Our supporters then wear no Ron Paul stuff, and pull no 'tricks' when it comes to voting for the GOP nominee, but are allowed to participate in all level conventions to help shape the direction of the party.

That is the only deal I see working to get a debate - to get Paul's ideas some MSM time with McCain's purchased responses. I'd like to see some cross-examination between the two.

Even if Ron Paul and HQ agreed to that deal, this has grown out of Ron Paul's control. He can't stop his "supporters" even if he wanted to.

mczerone
04-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Even if Ron Paul and HQ agreed to that deal, this has grown out of Ron Paul's control. He can't stop his "supporters" even if he wanted to.

I didn't mean they would follow, I meant that the order would be given. ;)

Deep in my heart I wish it would happen, he would take the 'deal', and our delegates would nominate Paul anyway.

I just want to use what leverage we have on the GOP before it evaporates during the general election.

Knightskye
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM

If I had to choose between delegate intervention and a Paul-McCain debate, I'd pick the delegate intervention. Screw it. The sheep wouldn't care about a debate. Take over the nomination.

loveshiscountry
04-29-2008, 11:59 PM
The Dems had a couple of two candidate debates.
Could you imagine how RP would handle Mcwar one on one?
Remember the one question RP posed to Mcwar on economics that had him stuttering and scratching his head?

McCain reminded me of Ralph Kramden in the Honeymooners trying to answer that question. .......humina, humina, humina

intelliot
04-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Paul wouldn't have to go negative. He could simply float it out there..

Interviewer: "So, why haven't you quit the race yet? McCain is the nominee."
Paul: "Well, the convention is months away, so there is still plenty of time."
Interviewer: "But won't you support him if he is the nominee?"
Paul: "He would have to change his views on the war, monetary policy, economic policy, etc. before I would do that."
Interviewer: "Do you see him doing that?"
Paul: "Not really, but we have never been given the opportunity in all those debates to talk about issues of substance. If McCain would like to do that sometime, I would be glad to join him in a Lincoln-Douglas debate such as Clinton proposed to Obama. It would help conservative Americans see where he stands on Republican principles."

Bam!

Headline: Paul challenges McCain to Lincoln-Douglas debate

Very interesting idea. We were talking about the Lincoln-Douglas debates in one of my classes recently. Transcripts are online-- someday when I have a lot of time, I'd like to read them. My professor said he has read them, and they're very good and detailed, with more substance than you'd care to know. Apparently, one of their debates went for 7 hours! Nobody today has that kind of attention span anymore.

mczerone
04-30-2008, 12:21 AM
If I had to choose between delegate intervention and a Paul-McCain debate, I'd pick the delegate intervention. Screw it. The sheep wouldn't care about a debate. Take over the nomination.

While some States have seen strong delegate turnout for Paul, I can't see the National Convention being overrun. If the Campaign thinks that there is a probability greater than even 5% of the delegate plan working, I'd say go for it.

But to think that, they'd better have some info that I don't have about how many delegate votes they can pull in states that aren't Alaska, Nevada or Louisiana. Big states like CA actually voted for McCain, and I'd imagine those delegates are not going to be changing stripes after any number of hypothetical rounds of voting.

Again, anyone who can be a delegate should be, if only to shape the platform of the party, and to work toward those leadership positions in the future. And it would be great if there were enough delegates to even make the nomination questionable, but All evidence points to this not being the case.

At least with a 1v1 debate on national TV, more people would realize that McCain is a tool, and that Ron Paul really knows his stuff. I think it would help open our movement to even more people, or at least show the fallacies of many of McCain's positions (and thus also Obama's and especially Clinton's).

I'd also like to see an Obama/Paul debate for the under-30 voters, to contrast the positions of the two and call Obama out as a Statist.