PDA

View Full Version : is there a PDF of the manifesto?

garrettwombat
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
i have gone into all 3 of my closest bookstores everyday now and it is always sold out.. EVEN WHEN I REQUESTED ONE TO BE SHIPPED IN ONLY FOR ME, THEY SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE!

im definatly buying 3 copies, i just cant take it anymore, i have to read this book!

where are the PDFs?!?!?!

nate895
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
EVEN WHEN I REQUESTED ONE TO BE SHIPPED IN ONLY FOR ME, THEY SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE!

I hate that.

garrettwombat
04-28-2008, 05:34 PM
who are the retards who always rate topics really low when someone like me just asks a question?

nate895
04-28-2008, 05:39 PM
who are the retards who always rate topics really low when someone like me just asks a question?

There, I just bumped you up.

RCA
04-28-2008, 05:41 PM
bumped and rated for Manifesto love

rajibo
04-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Go to www.bn.com (www.bn.com)or www.bordersstores.com and you can search the inventory of any store anywhere.

leonster
04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm in Korea. Yeah, it's not going to ever be hitting bookstores here.

Does anyone have a .pdf, really? :)

libertythor
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I just rated this thread 5 stars. :)

Highland
04-28-2008, 09:16 PM
bump

airborne373
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
rated 5 stars.

pinkmandy
04-28-2008, 09:27 PM
rated 5 stars.

Ditto.

Why not order it online? Mine came the same week I ordered it from B&N.

leonster
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Ditto.

Why not order it online? Mine came the same week I ordered it from B&N.

I'm in Korea. The shipping would cost more than the book itself does.

I'm thinking of ordering a copy to send to my family so they can read it and pass it around... but I'm not going to order one shipped to me in Asia.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
If there was a PDF, I wouldn't pass it along.
Amazon.com
Buy it.

leonster
04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
If there was a PDF, I wouldn't pass it along.
Amazon.com
Buy it.

Unless there's an amazon.co.kr (there isn't).... not helpful.

speciallyblend
04-28-2008, 11:00 PM
BOOK BOMB, tell everyone you know and spread it everywhere:)
BOOK BOMB
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=134929

Kludge
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
You'll probably have to wait a few weeks yet for a public release.... You can pretend it's shipping in the meantime and donate $15 to the campaign =P

lasenorita
04-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I went looking and came across this online retailer:

Better World: Book by Book
Free Shipping in the USA, $2.97 per book Worldwide.

They have 1041 copies of the book and they're selling it for $16.98. Check out The Revolution: A Manifesto (http://www.betterworld.com/The-Revolution-id-0446537519.aspx?pp=3&s=12420836). If all else fails, there's always eBay. :)

Conza88
04-29-2008, 12:40 AM

I'm thinking of ordering a copy to send to my family so they can read it and pass it around... but I'm not going to order one shipped to me in Asia.

If you have any other books you want, buy them from amazon (but they have to be from amazon, it has like a little orange thingo, that offers free shipping) anyway, you can get them all sent together, shipping being the same for all. you could get like 4 books in one send?

I did that. Shipping is a bitch. Usually like 1/3 of the overall price. I'm in Australia, bought like 30 books from amazon (all freedom ones). :)

New round, and revolution is in it. Waited till after it was released to purchased, so they can send together. Always an option... :)

Patrick_Henry
04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Just order it off of amazon. I had mine in 3-4 days.

leonster
04-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I went looking and came across this online retailer:

Better World: Book by Book
Free Shipping in the USA, $2.97 per book Worldwide.

They have 1041 copies of the book and they're selling it for $16.98. Check out The Revolution: A Manifesto (http://www.betterworld.com/The-Revolution-id-0446537519.aspx?pp=3&s=12420836). If all else fails, there's always eBay. :)

That sounds good, but somehow I can't believe that's for real. Not when I just spent almost $30 to send a book (the cheapest way, too--not express) to Indonesia, which is quite a bit closer to here than the US is...

Edit: But if it is... then great! :)

Edit 2: But so I will buy the book... but still hope someday to find a PDF/ebook, b/c I prefer reading books on screen usually.

mdh
04-29-2008, 01:26 AM
i have gone into all 3 of my closest bookstores everyday now and it is always sold out.. EVEN WHEN I REQUESTED ONE TO BE SHIPPED IN ONLY FOR ME, THEY SOLD IT TO SOMEONE ELSE!

im definatly buying 3 copies, i just cant take it anymore, i have to read this book!

where are the PDFs?!?!?!

I dunno about pdfs, but amazon is shipping the book.

mdh
04-29-2008, 01:30 AM
That sounds good, but somehow I can't believe that's for real. Not when I just spent almost $30 to send a book (the cheapest way, too--not express) to Indonesia, which is quite a bit closer to here than the US is...

Edit: But if it is... then great! :)

Edit 2: But so I will buy the book... but still hope someday to find a PDF/ebook, b/c I prefer reading books on screen usually.

They more than likely have warehousing facilities in or close to large countries around the world.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
04-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Bumped for piracy of our inspirations work

libertythor
04-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Considering that it would take a long time for one of us to scan a quality copy of the book, I suggest that you be patient and order it.

lasenorita
04-29-2008, 02:00 AM
That sounds good, but somehow I can't believe that's for real.
There's an article about them in Wikipedia: Better World Books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_World_Books), as well as a FAQs (http://www.betterworldbooks.com/AboutUs/FAQs.aspx) and an e-article (http://www.fastcompany.com/social/2008/profiles/better-world-books.html). From what I gather, they collect books through donation drives and then sell them to fund literacy programs.

DriftWood
04-29-2008, 06:09 AM

where are the PDFs?!?!?!

Yeah, to be honest i dont think RP would mind if his book was pirated and spread around the world. He or his publisher might not make much money off the book but atleast "the message" would get out more easily that way. I say go for it, someone scan that book and spread it on the net. Thats grassroots distribution and capitalism at work for you.

On the issue of pirating easily copied material like books, music, movies, paintings etc. I dont think coping it should be illegal, because enforcing such laws depend on big, powerful intrusive govts. If a product does not make business sense without regulations to keep its monopoly on distribution, then they need to change their business model. Say, advertisisng could pay for online books. It would probably make commercial sense for publishers to have pfd free on the internet, but the books would have advertising on every 10th page or something. Then it would not matter if the pdf books where distributed and downloaded from by the official publisher web site or off some "illegal" peer-to-peer network.

Cheers

DriftWood
04-29-2008, 06:16 AM

where are the PDFs?!?!?!

Yeah, to be honest i dont think RP would mind if his book was pirated and spread around the world. He or his publisher might not make much money off the book but atleast "the message" would get out more easily that way. I say go for it, someone scan that book and spread it on the net. Thats grassroots distribution and capitalism at work for you.

On the issue of pirating easily copied material like books, music, movies, paintings etc. I dont think coping it should be illegal, because enforcing such laws depend on big, powerful intrusive govts. If a product does not make business sense without regulations to keep its monopoly on distribution, then they need to change their business model. Say, advertisisng could pay for online books. It would probably make commercial sense for publishers to have pfd free on the internet, but the books would have advertising on every 10th page or something. Then it would not matter if the pdf books where distributed and downloaded from by the official publisher web site or off some "illegal" peer-to-peer network.

Edit: I find it funny when watching a pirated movie on some bus in the middle of nowhere (say in Cambodia), when that FBI warning comes on screen trying to scrare people with a decade in prison and millions in fees if cought watching it. Imagine how powerful and how much spying on citizens a govt would have to do, to enforce such silly laws.

Cheers

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I'd really like a PDF too. Perhaps it will come, in time. Until then, consider Amazon. Only $12.60 per copy, free shipping for buying 3, last I heard. What a deal! :)

speciallyblend
04-29-2008, 06:40 AM
I'd really like a PDF too. Perhaps it will come, in time. Until then, consider Amazon. Only $12.60 per copy, free shipping for buying 3, last I heard. What a deal! :)

hold of until april 30th and join the book bomb,so we can hit #1 and get more appearances;)

leonster
04-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Just now, I'm ordering a copy on Amazon for my family to read... but yeah, I have tons of opinions on copyright law, but this isn't the right time or thread for that mostly. Except perhaps to say copyright law is useful, but like most governmental things has grown into a beast that it was never intended to be. Civil disobedience? Perhaps the biggest example of it in practice as we speak is the millions and millions of people who pirate music and movies in violation of massively inflated and overgrown copyright laws.

leonster
04-29-2008, 06:42 AM
hold of until april 30th and join the book bomb,so we can hit #1 and get more appearances;)

Just saw your msg... had the book in my cart, but will do as you suggest and wait till... tomorrow is it there? It's Tuesday night here now, so kinda confusing at times...

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 06:45 AM
I follow your reasoning. I pre-ordered mine in January, got it a couple of weeks ago. :cool:

Thanks! :)

Truth Warrior
04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Just now, I'm ordering a copy on Amazon for my family to read... but yeah, I have tons of opinions on copyright law, but this isn't the right time or thread for that mostly. Except perhaps to say copyright law is useful, but like most governmental things has grown into a beast that it was never intended to be. Civil disobedience? Perhaps the biggest example of it in practice as we speak is the millions and millions of people who pirate music and movies in violation of massively inflated and overgrown copyright laws.
There are currently several free PDFs of various Ron's books at www.mises.org (http://www.mises.org). Perhaps the manifesto will eventually be added also, after the initial hardcover and paperback??? versions sales rush dies down. :)

Kalash
05-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Ebook versions have been released...
No PDFs but .mobi .pdb and .lit

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin/item/parent-9780446540353/The-Revolution-A-Manifesto-eBook.html

adam1mc
05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Don't be a cheap ass. Downloading a version off the internet doesn't help the book stay in the number 1 spot.

SneakyFrenchSpy
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
There is a PDF floating on some torrent sites. I'm not gonna help you find it because it's frowned upon around here, but if you use search engines, have some smarts and know where to look, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Some people are losing sight of the goal here, it's not primarily to make $ off the sales of the book, it's to spread the ideals. If the book can't be accessed in a timely fashion and the guy plans on buying it eventually, I have absolutely no problem in him downloading it illegally.

Ok go ahead and flame me now...

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
There is a PDF floating on some torrent sites. I'm not gonna help you find it because it's frowned upon around here, but if you use search engines, have some smarts and know where to look, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Some people are losing sight of the goal here, it's not primarily to make $ off the sales of the book, it's to spread the ideals. If the book can't be accessed in a timely fashion and the guy plans on buying it eventually, I have absolutely no problem in him downloading it illegally.

Ok go ahead and flame me now...

Glad to! How about telling me where you live or work so I can come steal some of your production too!

Personally, I think people who publically promote theft should be banned from here immediately. The fact that you're advocating theft from the good doctor makes it even more despicable.

BTW, did Dr. Paul personally TELL YOU his goal regarding this book? Did he personally TELL YOU it was OK to advocate stealing from him?

SneakyFrenchSpy
05-12-2008, 04:09 PM
So you are of the impression that it's more important to make money than to advance Ron Paul's platform and recognition? I think not...

As for banning me, I didn't even provide a link to where he could find the PDF, I just said it was out there. I'll equate this to me telling somebody: "If you want to purchase an illegal weapon, there are people that you should look for that will provide one for you."

See the parallel? Sometime the end does justify the means.

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
So you are of the impression that it's more important to make money than to advance Ron Paul's platform and recognition? I think not...

Sometime the end does justify the means.

Since you did not write the book, it's not your decision to make. If Dr. Paul had wished to release the book as a PDF free for the taking, he could have done so. The fact that he has done so with other writings shows that he's aware of the capability.

Your claim that you have the right to decide what happens to the good doctor's efforts is absolutely no different than the government declaring they are entitled to steal from you to give the funds to someone more deserving. If you honestly can't see the parallel, you're beyond redemption.

Using the end to justify the means sounds like every two-bit thug that's found some excuse to steal from people for the "greater good." Personally, your attitude toward the good doctor makes me want to retch. People like you make me think the world will never see true freedom. There will always be some thug willing to steal for their own "pure" purpose.

Fields
05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
All book threads turn into bitch-fights about intellectual copyrights.

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
All book threads turn into bitch-fights about intellectual copyrights.

Only the ones where people openly advocate theft of someone's hard work.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM

As for banning me, I didn't even provide a link to where he could find the PDF, I just said it was out there. I'll equate this to me telling somebody: "If you want to purchase an illegal weapon, there are people that you should look for that will provide one for you."

See the parallel? Sometime the end does justify the means.

No. And if you'd steal money from Ron Paul, you'd do just about anything.

Do not continue with this line.

Forum Guidelines:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
05-12-2008, 04:49 PM
someone with an 'in' should ask Dr. Paul himself what he thinks about pirated copies of his book.
I think most of us bought the book as a commemorative thing, as even Ron doesn't have a copyright on ideas which Bastiat and the French Enlightenment actually formulated first.
I would bet Ron doesn't even care, as anything of real value to someone usually drives them to get the real thing.
But it would be awesome to hear his insight on the matter.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
should Ron pay royalties to Bastiat? :rolleyes:

adam1mc
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Only the ones where people openly advocate theft of someone's hard work.

It's actually the argument of 'Free trade' or 'theft of intellectual property'. This debate has been going on for a long time and won't be resolved in a thread about RP's book.

I actually see both sides of the argument. I'm an advocate for keeping RP's book on the #1 best sellers list for as long as possible. That is the only reason I don't advocate 'Free Trade' for this particular instance.. but in most other circumstances I would be all for people downloading the book from TBP.

If our only concern is to introduce as many people as possible to RP's book and his ideals then we shouldn't have any problem linking people to a free online version. After all, the more people that read the book the better. If there is absolutely no way that a person is going to go out and buy Dr. Paul's book yet they would be open to reading it if it was available, then I'd say go for it. The more the merrier...

But like I said.. I want the book to remain #1 as long as possible so for that reason alone I would encourage people to buy the book vs. downloading.

SneakyFrenchSpy
05-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Actually I have bought 2 hard-copies of the Manifesto. So I'm not stealing anything. Ever heard of Fair Use?

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
It has nothing to do with "free trade" vs "theft of intellectual property." Free trade and theft are polar opposites.

The day Dr. Paul releases a PDF, I'll be printing copies along with everyone else. In the meantime, it's HIS property and HIS decision. Arguing otherwise is making an excuse for the theft of the productive work of another, and should not be tolerated here!!!

It's actually the argument of 'Free trade' or 'theft of intellectual property'. This debate has been going on for a long time and won't be resolved in a thread about RP's book.

I actually see both sides of the argument. I'm an advocate for keeping RP's book on the #1 best sellers list for as long as possible. That is the only reason I don't advocate 'Free Trade' for this particular instance.. but in most other circumstances I would be all for people downloading the book from TBP.

If our only concern is to introduce as many people as possible to RP's book and his ideals then we shouldn't have any problem linking people to a free online version. After all, the more people that read the book the better. If there is absolutely no way that a person is going to go out and buy Dr. Paul's book yet they would be open to reading it if it was available, then I'd say go for it. The more the merrier...

But like I said.. I want the book to remain #1 as long as possible so for that reason alone I would encourage people to buy the book vs. downloading.

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Actually I have bought 2 hard-copies of the Manifesto. So I'm not stealing anything. Ever heard of Fair Use?

Certainly, and if YOU make a copy for YOUR use, or pass the hard copy along to someone else, that's Fair Use. Passing out PDF copies of the book YOU bought is theft, plain and simple. Don't try to pretty it up with fancy talk. That's a politician's game.

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
No. And if you'd steal money from Ron Paul, you'd do just about anything.

QFMFT! Thank you, LE!

LibertyEagle
05-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Ok guys, I would have thought you would have picked up the clue, but I guess not. So, let me make it absolutely clear.

If you want to continue promoting the theft of Ron Paul's book, do it somewhere other than on this board. It will not be tolerated here. I'm quite serious.

It is breaking so many forum guidelines, not to mention principles of individual liberty, I don't even know where to begin.

adam1mc
05-12-2008, 05:02 PM
It has nothing to do with "free trade" vs "theft of intellectual property." Free trade and theft are polar opposites.

The day Dr. Paul releases a PDF, I'll be printing copies along with everyone else. In the meantime, it's HIS property and HIS decision. Arguing otherwise is making an excuse for the theft of the productive work of another, and should not be tolerated here!!!

I said I see both sides...

I'm not advocating the stealing of his book, but merely debating the facts....

But the book is called "Revolution a Manifesto" correct? And while I haven't read the book (yet) from what I understand the book is about a new revolution and the re-taking of America... correct?

If that's the case, wouldn't we want every person in this Country to read the book?

We would... And not so that Dr. Paul can earn a few more bucks for his pocket, but, so we can introduce as many people as possible to RP's ideals.

So, while I understand your argument... What truly is more important for ours and Dr. Pauls cause? People purchasing the book.. or people reading the book?

If the goal is for as many people to read the book as possible.. wouldn't it only make sense to make copies available online?

FreeTraveler
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
There is NOTHING TO DEBATE!!!

You still don't understand the concept of property rights. I don't disagree with anything you say here as far as getting the message out, HOWEVER...

It's NOT OUR DECISION TO MAKE! Dr. Paul wrote the book, and it's HIS PROPERTY!

If you want to give away a book, you're free to WRITE ONE YOURSELF and give it away all you want!

What part of THEFT don't you people understand???

I said I see both sides...

I'm not advocating the stealing of his book, but merely debating the facts....

But the book is called "Revolution a Manifesto" correct? And while I haven't read the book (yet) from what I understand the book is about a new revolution and the re-taking of America... correct?

If that's the case, wouldn't we want every person in this Country to read the book?

We would... And not so that Dr. Paul can earn a few more bucks for his pocket, but, so we can introduce as many people as possible to RP's ideals.

So, while I understand your argument... What truly is more important for ours and Dr. Pauls cause? People purchasing the book.. or people reading the book?

If the goal is for as many people to read the book as possible.. wouldn't it only make sense to make copies available online?

LibertyEagle
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

You are trying to justify stealing. When and if Ron Paul wants to make his book available for free, then and only then will passing online copies around, be ok. Until then, it makes anyone doing such things no better than common thieves. If the reader does not understand what I'm saying to you, then you need to read the book again.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Right now, the only way the book can be given away, is for us to purchase copies and hand them out to others, donate them to libraries, etc. To do otherwise is theft, pure and simple, and shows just how little such people understand the principles of liberty.

LibertyEagle
05-12-2008, 05:11 PM
The debate is over.

No more promotion of stealing Ron Paul's book will be tolerated on this board. Period.