PDA

View Full Version : What does the candidacy of Ron Paul mean for the United States?

Bradley in DC
08-21-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.redstate.com/blogs/blackhedd/2007/aug/21/what_does_the_candidacy_of_ron_paul_mean_for_the_u nited_states

What does the candidacy of Ron Paul mean for the United States?
By blackhedd Posted in Culture — Comments (89) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »

Nearby you'll find a diary which compares Ron Paul to Dennis Kucinich. Unfortunately, I found that diary to be unserious.
However, I do think the candidacy of Ron Paul raises some existential questions about the nature and global role of the United States.
What did we learn from Ronald Reagan, a former New Deal supporter? We learned that self-reliance, a traditional American virtue, is so important as an element of both personal and national character, that it precludes a large role for the Federal power in the regulation of daily life.
Reagan's understanding of freedom (the "negative" freedom which leaves people free to determine their own lives) stands in contradistinction to freedom as understood by our friends on the Left (a "positive" freedom that seeks to free everyone from pain, suffering, risk, and inequality).
But Paulite libertarianism understands freedom in the sense of "I'll go my own way, and you can go to H*ll if you so desire." It shares with conservatism a deep wariness of government power, which is infinitely corruptible, even as the Left embraces government power as the answer to the infinite corruptibility of individuals.
Paulites thus felicitously cloak themselves in the Constitution, which enshrines the principle of limited government.
Read on . . .
But what Paulism does not do is envision the nature and role of the United States as a nation. And from its very first days, the US has been an aggressive, expansionist, seafaring power, dedicated to economic prosperity, and with both the desire and the justification to take a large role on the world stage. America is a global empire.
To me, this is an exceedingly good thing, and it should continue. I believe that Ronald Reagan would have agreed with me. After all, when asked in 1980 why he wanted to be made President, he answered unblinkingly and unhesitatingly: "To win the Cold War."
Now the problem with the Paulite interpretation of America as a collection of free-standing individuals is that it leaves no role for a unified global purpose. It fully subordinates America as a nation to America as a set of individuals.
The Left-wing interpretation, of course, also suppresses any role for America as a global empire by going the opposite way. It subordinates the individualism and private ambitions of Americans to a utopian dream of social collectivity.
It's up to us, the Conservatives, to take a middle ground. We must recognize that there is a role for institutions of government, and for quasi-government entities like the Federal Reserve System. There is a role for the Defense Department. There is a role for a minimal and means-tested social safety net, which includes some provision for health benefits. And there is most definitely a role for an aggressive foreign policy.
My greatest and deepest quarrel with the Federal government that we have now is that it has become unresponsive to the wishes of ordinary Americans. And we ordinary Americans share much of the blame for that, by allowing the ideals of citizenship that informed an earlier age to become attenuated and hollow. These ideals called for rugged self-reliance within a context of national purpose and unity. That's what we need to get back. Both Ron Paul and people like Dennis Kucinich would take us in the wrong direction.

Jon S
08-21-2007, 10:37 PM
to hell with this guy. america was created by individuals, america IS individuals. saying we should be clumped together as a NATION and not as individuals is blind nationalism. and when patriotism turns into nationalism thats when we have problems.

FSP-Rebel
08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Sovereign, independent states are preferrable to a nationalistic attitude. I choose a confederacy.

Hook
08-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Anyone that uses the word "contradistinction" needs to be burned at the stake :)

Zydeco
08-21-2007, 11:57 PM
It will mean the end of the Federal Reserve, the biggest scam in the history of the world.

beermotor
08-22-2007, 04:43 AM
Sovereign, independent states are preferrable to a nationalistic attitude. I choose a confederacy.

Amen brother. The South will rise again!

Slugg
08-22-2007, 04:51 AM
to hell with this guy. america was created by individuals, america IS individuals. saying we should be clumped together as a NATION and not as individuals is blind nationalism. and when patriotism turns into nationalism thats when we have problems.

We have problems.

noxagol
08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
It fully subordinates America as a nation to America as a set of individuals.

AS IT SHOULD BE! ITS NOT, WE THE COUNTRY, IT IS WE THE PEOPLE!

bc2208
08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
are neocons even people?

Slugg
08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
are neocons even people?

A DNA sample of a Neo-Con resembles monkeys, people, and mushrooms.

ARealConservative
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Reagan wanted to win the cold war.

So do I. It hasn't ended, it has moved to our own shores.

This country continues to move further and further left, yet nothing has been solved in this migration. We are losing the cold war as we speak.