PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo agrees with Google: The Revolution is Growing!

C4de
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/75123/candidate-search

The below is a direct copy/paste from the link above. Please excuse the formatting issues. The key pieces of data are the massive decline in Fred Thompson related searches compared to the decent uptick in Ron Paul searches.

Candidate Search
By Vera H-C Chan
Mon, August 20, 2007, 11:56 am PDT
< Previous | Next >

The Buzz doesn't do political horse races. In the case of presidential elections, tallying up how many searches a candidate notches doesn't necessarily equate with voter popularity: Scandals, gauche missteps, and a maniacal whoop can be as buzz-provoking as thoughtful policies.

A better indication of how those seeking the land's highest office are faring these days may be the questions they provoke. Below are the top six declared and popular undeclared candidates, listed in order of total searches from the past 30 days...

Buzz rank In the running % change since mid-July Campaign-related searches Burning questions
1 Barack Obama (Dem) -6% bio,t-shirts, political dirt antichrist, muslim
2 Hillary Rodham Clinton (Dem) -3% gun control, voting record, nurse quotes cleavage
3 Ron Paul (Rep, undeclared) +9% poll, yard signs, revolution, abortion justin.tv, alaska, idiot
4 Fred Thompson (Rep, undeclared) -38% draft, healthcare issue, federalism wife, church of christ, ladies' man
5 Mitt Romney (Rep) +25% bio, national polls, stem cell sons rachel griffiths, financial holdings, mormon, sex symbol
6 John Edwards (Dem) -11% iraq comments, tax plan, basic healthcare net worth, haircut, mansion

Notes on our top six:

Surprisingly, Buzz frontrunner Barack Obama has the most minimal variety of searches. The candidate with the most campaign-related inquiries is Hillary Rodham Clinton, while Mitt Romney stimulated curiosity about his family and other personal issues.

Ron Paul's theme ("Ron Paul Revolution") resonated through his queries, and searchers are more intrigued by Fred Thompson's missus. Last but not least, John Edwards' real competition in the Buzz isn't the other contestants, but his psychic namesake.

ctb619
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
1 Barack Obama (Dem) -6% bio,t-shirts, political dirt antichrist, muslim

lol :D

Original_Intent
Umm they list Ron Paul as undeclared?

1000-points-of-fright
Ron Paul (Rep, undeclared)????

sylvania
Why do they have him as undeclared?

Oops! beat me to it...

The related search terms are interesting..."abortion" and "idiot"...hmmm...

james1906
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
political dirt antichrist

^great name for a goth band.

C4de
08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I didn't catch that undeclared nonsense! Now we need to politely remind them that he has been declared for quite some time now.

dseisner
08-21-2007, 10:16 PM
who is searching "Hillary Clinton cleavage?"

JoshLowry
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I will never trust anything from Yahoo.

Check out the two Yahoo photos here:
http://www.stateofbrain.com/ronpaul.php

They are deceitful and banned my yahoo email address a while back for posting this question at Yahoo answers: http://www.duggmirror.com/politics/Yahoo_Answers_Why_is_Ron_Paul_being_excluded_from_ Yahoo_s_Full_Coverage/

That particular question received a large number of replies that were not cached and ended up getting starred over 60 times.

Once they deleted it, I went to their message board and asked why it was deleted but they just deleted the thread I created and banned my email account.

I haven't been back to Yahoo since, but that's how my Ron Paul journey started out four months ago.
It's been quite a trip.

Cliff notes:

1. Don't trust Yahoo.
2. Don't use Yahoo services.

C4de
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
As a follow-up, here is the Google Trends data from the first half of July 2007 (most recent available):

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ron+paul%2C+fred+thompson%2C+giuliani%2C+ romney%2C+mccain&ctab=0&geo=US&geor=all&date=2007-7&sort=0

J4ck
08-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Google trends...Ron Paul gets more searches than George Bush.

http://www.google.de/trends?q=ron+paul%2C+barack+obama%2C+hillary+clint on%2C+fred+thompson%2C+george+bush&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2007&sort=0

Look at the news reference volume....internet kills the radio and the tv star. ;)

C4de
08-21-2007, 10:24 PM
I will never trust anything from Yahoo.

Check out the two Yahoo photos here:
http://www.stateofbrain.com/ronpaul.php

They are deceitful and banned my yahoo email address a while back for posting this question at Yahoo answers: http://www.duggmirror.com/politics/Yahoo_Answers_Why_is_Ron_Paul_being_excluded_from_ Yahoo_s_Full_Coverage/

That particular question received a large number of replies that were not cached and ended up getting starred over 60 times.

Once they deleted it, I went to their message board and asked why it was deleted but they just deleted the thread I created and banned my email account.

I haven't been back to Yahoo since, but that's how my Ron Paul journey started out four months ago.
It's been quite a trip.

Cliff notes:

1. Don't trust Yahoo.
2. Don't use Yahoo services.

While I also generally dislike Yahoo, it is important to note that they're showing that he is a top searched candidate and that his following is growing while others are declining. Even though Google is a hands down better product, many Yahoo users may stumble across this coverage. Additionally, there is a chance that it can be reported elsewhere.

Hook
08-21-2007, 10:33 PM
This is an example of why Google is kicking Yahoo to the curb. The beauty of the free market! :)

McDermit
08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
who is searching "Hillary Clinton cleavage?"
also, fred thompson "ladie's man?" lol. what the bleeeeeeep?

jpa
08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I hate to break it to some people, but corporations are not some monolithic controlled entity. The media group has nothing to do with the search group. There is very little command & control in yahoo org (I have a few friends that work there, they say its very decentralized).

FSP-Rebel
08-21-2007, 11:19 PM
also, fred thompson "ladie's man?" lol. what the bleeeeeeep?
Yeah, some old chick has got to be hard up for some goodies when worrying about FT. Fred, a ladies man, thank god I'm male. I don't need another TN burnout like Fred to proceed as if he's a gentleman. The only person who has a record for being a stand-up guy is Ron Paul. This is a rep you can't conceive in a pot of boiling water, Hillary.

Paul4Prez
08-21-2007, 11:27 PM
On Yahoo.com they show what are supposedly "Today's Top Searches", yet the term "Ron Paul" has never appeared there.

They expect us to believe that people today were searching for "Vanessa Hudgens" and "Ricky Rudd" more than "Ron Paul".

Their 2008 coverage rarely picks up any Ron Paul stories, although there have been many. When they do run one, it is usually not flattering. They had a good Ron Paul headline once, and it was getting highly rated, when they changed it with an updated story to something disparaging.

McDermit
08-21-2007, 11:31 PM
People still use yahoo to search?

Maybe they're just pissed because the signs say "Google Ron Paul" instead of "Yahoo! Ron Paul" :rolleyes:

FSP-Rebel
08-21-2007, 11:56 PM
People still use yahoo to search?

Maybe they're just pissed because the signs say "Google Ron Paul" instead of "Yahoo! Ron Paul" :rolleyes:
Yahoo, never heard of it...?

foofighter20x
08-22-2007, 12:02 AM
We should all go to Yahoo and search Ron Paul over and over again. :p

FSP-Rebel
08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
We should all go to Yahoo and search Ron Paul over and over again. :p
You took the words outta my mouth...

fj45lvr
08-22-2007, 03:46 AM
thanks for posting this it is hilarious and is quite telling in my opinion of the Candidates.... when "haircut" is apart of Edwards search it really makes me laugh!!

I like the fact that Paul has "abortion" as a term in his search data because I believe it shows that people in the country on either side of that issue are interested enough in him to "dig alittel deeper" and check out that issue...it tells alot about him in that regard I think and shows how big of a polarizing issue abortion is ultimately.....maybe Paul is on the same par as a supreme court nominee!! Let's just hope that no realty title he has ever signed has any racial requirements in the fine print!!

sylvania
08-22-2007, 04:04 AM
I garee with you. I think it's interesting in that it shows what is on people's mind or perhaps why they are looking into him. In fact it's interesting to note (though I'm not sure any conclusions can be made) the "issues" terms that were searched with each candidate:

Barack Obama - none (unless you count "Muslim", which I don't)

Hillary Clinton - gun control (and to a lesser degree, "voting record", since it is not quite an "issue")

Ron Paul - abortion

Fred Thompson - draft, healthcare issue, federalism

Mitt Romney - stem cell

John Edwards - Iraq comments, tax plan, basic healthcare

Makes me think I should really develop a well-thought out response in regard to the healthcare stance Ron Paul takes.

DjLoTi
08-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Yahoo is the most bias news media source I've seen out of all of them. Fox, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, everything. Yahoo is like.... determined to prevent Ron Paul from gaining exposure.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Wow. Think how he'll do once he actually declares! :rolleyes:

Kuldebar
08-22-2007, 07:20 AM
While I also generally dislike Yahoo, it is important to note that they're showing that he is a top searched candidate and that his following is growing while others are declining. Even though Google is a hands down better product, many Yahoo users may stumble across this coverage. Additionally, there is a chance that it can be reported elsewhere.

Yeah. lately I have heard some positive coverage from establishment media (internet or otherwise) but there's seems to always be a catch.

Here's a make believe example of the type of tactic being used now:

He's attracting a lot of support for his renegade ideas and has generated a lot of interest despite his support for policies that protect child predators on the internet.

See? I think we are going to see a lot more of this type "coverage".