PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell me Ron takes interns?!

Conza88
04-28-2008, 12:10 AM
My university is offering this program. :eek:

Uni-Capitol Washington Internship Program (UCWIP)
The Uni-Capitol Washington Internship Program (UCWIP) offers 12 Australian
students from 8 Universities an opportunity to intern in a range of US
congressional offices for 8 weeks during January - February 2009. The
selection process is highly competitive and Griffith applicants must meet
the following criteria:
I meet them.

Blah blah blah,

Regards
Christopher Madden
Pro Vice Chancellor (International)

LOL, there would only be ONE reason I would apply. If I got assigned to Ron Paul's congressional office. Man, oh man OH MAN! :D
In case you didn't know, I have a serious man crush :D

Alawn
04-28-2008, 12:24 AM
I think he does but I'm sure a lot of people apply.

tangent4ronpaul
04-28-2008, 12:48 AM
He does and the application is like a college exam...

Write them, they will send you a copy.

http://www.house.gov/paul/services_intern.shtml

-n

Conza88
04-29-2008, 06:36 AM

-n

Ah thanks! :D

angelatc
04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
DOn't be afraid to pull strings - email LadyJade and see if she can give you any advice!

yongrel
04-29-2008, 07:31 AM
His congressional office does.

MS0453
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM

-n

Lol Your dead-on with that college exam statement. I was interesting if interning for him (pre-presidential campaign) and received the "exam". It's really quite amazing since I think the majority of congressman just use a standard "who are you and where do you live" form.

mdh
04-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I dunno if a congressional office would take an app from someone outside the US though? :(

tangent4ronpaul
04-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Part of it was asking for your perception (agree/disagree, good/bad - IIRC on a scale of 1-10) on various publications, organizations and public figures. I remember that section threw me a bit as some were easy, while others I was really unfamiliar with. Worse, with organizations, for example with CATO my initial impression was favorable because they have sponsored some excellent speakers that I've seen broadcast on C-SPAN, but then I realized that I really didn't know what the CATO institute stood for as an organization, other than that they were Libertarian leaning - or what faction of Libertarian was unclear nor why they have not supported Dr. Paul... And they were asking about the organization - not the speakers they had sponsored.

There were also questions where you could choose A or B, neither of which I agreed with...

that sort of thing.

Ask for a copy - you'll see.

I never finished and sent mine in as for one, I found my school didn't have an internship program and I'd have to find a work around for that, and then Dr. Paul announced his exploratory committee and I dropped out of school to work on this campaign full time...

-n

Conza88
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I dunno if a congressional office would take an app from someone outside the US though? :(

I am practically US though.. :confused: -> :D
Know more about the US than probs 96% of the population.. just gets hard when I got to compete with you lot :p

Part of it was asking for your perception (agree/disagree, good/bad - IIRC on a scale of 1-10) on various publications, organizations and public figures. I remember that section threw me a bit as some were easy, while others I was really unfamiliar with. Worse, with organizations, for example with CATO my initial impression was favorable because they have sponsored some excellent speakers that I've seen broadcast on C-SPAN, but then I realized that I really didn't know what the CATO institute stood for as an organization, other than that they were Libertarian leaning - or what faction of Libertarian was unclear nor why they have not supported Dr. Paul... And they were asking about the organization - not the speakers they had sponsored.

There were also questions where you could choose A or B, neither of which I agreed with...

Lol - uh oh then. Public officals.. all I know is the douche bags & the legends.. in between it gets hard. CATO.. now that 'd be interesting to see what they accept as a good answer... cato is good in regards to talking about free trade etc... but those assholes never mentioned rp.. They serve interests.

I've sent an email to the coordinator, seeing what he'll say. :D

ronpaulblogsdotcom
04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I think it would be nice to work for Ron Paul as well. But it would be a real honor and a great resume padder to work for any member of Congress. Really. No joke.

Most of them have good intentions but sometimes get caught up in the pursuit of power.

If you are looking to get into politics in any way it might be good to go in clandestine. If you show you worked for Ron Paul it is a big mark that you may not play ball with the globalists. Sometimes low key is best.

Bradley in DC
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM

Dr. Paul did as long ago as the '70s or '80s. At a libertarian public policy function here when I was there (1997-2001), I met a news reporters (apparently a big name there) from Mexico who told me he interned for Dr. Paul back in the day (don't remember when he said it was).

Conza88
05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank you for your email regarding the UCWIP Internship and my apologies for the delay with my response.

We do hope to offer this program every year, however this is up to the Program Coordinator in the US, Eric Federing.

The list of Congressional Offices changes from year to year depending on their availability. Eric Federing arranges the list of Congressional offices and then this is provided to the students. Details of the offices participating this year can be found in the attached document.

Students must attend the telebriefing to apply - this is hosted by Eric from the US. During this time Eric outlines the Congressional Offices to the students. When students apply they list up to three preferences for the office they wish to intern for. Applicants are then matched to the Congress Office.

Every year that the program is offered the Exchange Office will send an email to all students notifying them of the process to apply etc.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Camilla

:o

List is here:

UCWIP interns are accorded unique access to the US political system and institutions across their 2-month, full-time internships each January/February. In-office experiences will vary widely according to the needs of the congressional hosts. Administrative functions, constituent liaison, and legislative research and support have been among the touchstones of past internships. Offices typically encourage interns to attend hearings, briefings and press conferences both on and off Capitol Hill. UCWIP has also organized briefings at the US State Department and the Australian Embassy; roundtable discussions with National Journal‘s senior congressional reporter; access to political dinners, evening events; a day-trip to Gettysburg National Military Park in Pennsylvania; and a day-trip to the origins of the American republic in Philadelphia’s Independence Hall, Congress Hall and the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia. In 2005, UCWIP became a charter member of the National Center on Citizenship, a service and civic engagement network in the United States.

For the 2009 Programme, 19 congressional offices form the universe of prospective hosts:

Rep. Mike Castle (Republican of Delaware)
Rep. James Clyburn (Democrat of South Carolina)/House Majority Whip’s office
Rep. Joe Courtney (Democrat of Connecticut)
Sen. Mike Crapo (Republican of Idaho)
Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (Republican of Florida)
Sen. Christopher Dodd (Democrat of Connecticut)
Rep. Philip English (Republican of Pennsylvania)
Del. Eni Faleomavaega (Democrat of American Samoa)
Rep. Sam Farr (Democrat of California)
Sen. Charles Grassley (Republican of Iowa)

Rep. Alcee Hastings (Democrat of Florida)
Rep. Jerrold Nadler (Democrat of New York)
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Republican of Florida)
Rep. Loretta Sanchez (Democrat of California)
Rep. John Tierney (Democrat of Massachusetts)
Rep. Zach Wamp (Republican of Tennessee)
House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (Majority office)
Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee (Majority office)
Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe

The Programme offers individualized attention to the student interns before, during and after their internships. Contact has been sought and maintained across the years for continued assistance and career development. Notable measures of intern success have included numerous letters of recommendation from congressional hosts; Floor recognition for legislative work; extended internships; a Member request to recruit a student for an American summer internship; and at least a half-dozen congressional job offers, with one accepted. Alumni later pursuing other work in the public sector have attained positions in the Prime Minister’s office, in a variety of federal departments and agencies in Canberra, at the Australian Consulate in New York, at the Australian Embassy in Washington, DC, and at the World Bank in Washington, DC.

What do you think? :)

Conza88
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
:o

Kludge
08-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I remember this thread.

Conza88
08-14-2008, 12:03 AM
who did you chose?

Ron Paul. :D

It's him or no-one...